One sunny day in 2009...

Started by Lanzlo, October 15, 2008, 01:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanzlo

One sunny day in 2009, an old man approached the White House from the bench he was sitting at on Pennsylvania Avenue. He spoke to the US Marine standing guard and said, "I would like to go in and meet with President Bush."

The Marine looked at the man and said, "Sir, Mr. Bush is no longer president, and no longer resides here."

The old man thanked him, and walked away.

The next day, the same old man approached the same Marine and said, "I would like to go in and meet with President Bush."

The Marine said, "Sir, as I said yesterday, Mr. Bush is no longer president, and no longer resides here."

Again, the old man thanked him and walked away.

The third day, the same old man approached the same Marine and said, "I would like to go in and meet with President Bush."

The Marine, understandably frustrated at this point, said, "Sir, this is the third day in a row you have asked to speak with Mr. Bush. I've told you already that Mr. Bush is no longer president, and no longer resides here. Don't you understand?"

The old man looked at the Marine and smiled. "Oh, I understand. I just love hearing it."

The Marine snapped to attention, saluted, and said, "See you tomorrow, sir."

Inkidu

La de da. I've heard that with Hilary Clinton, Obama, and McCain. Just change out the names and fit to grammar, and insult your party of choice. :D
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Lanzlo

True... but in this case, Mr. "Dubbah" truly deserves this hazing.

Inkidu

Quote from: Lanzlo on October 15, 2008, 04:28:18 PM
True... but in this case, Mr. "Dubbah" truly deserves this hazing.
Well I can happily say I wouldn't want to be president. He's a bigger man than me.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Caity

One of my college Professors called him President Shrub.

He is no way a bigger man than you.   :P

Inkidu

Quote from: Caity on October 15, 2008, 09:19:52 PM
One of my college Professors called him President Shrub.

He is no way a bigger man than you.   :P
I don't know, I think I might have snapped and nuked a few pesky countries here and there. *Clears throat*

The Overlord

Quote from: Inkidu on October 15, 2008, 09:28:11 PM
I don't know, I think I might have snapped and nuked a few pesky countries here and there. *Clears throat*

It's been discussed often, but in some regards I still think we showed remarkable restraint in not dropping nukes in the high Afghan mountain regions where Bin-laden and HQ were entrenched right after 9/11. By definition they visited us with weapons of mass destruction, even if improvised ones. I can tell you as president I would have been highly compelled to give the order.

Inkidu

Quote from: The Overlord on October 15, 2008, 11:54:26 PM
It's been discussed often, but in some regards I still think we showed remarkable restraint in not dropping nukes in the high Afghan mountain regions where Bin-laden and HQ were entrenched right after 9/11. By definition they visited us with weapons of mass destruction, even if improvised ones. I can tell you as president I would have been highly compelled to give the order.
I would have at least used conventional bombs to make Disney Afghanistan's parking lot.

The Overlord

Quote from: Inkidu on October 16, 2008, 06:29:15 AM
I would have at least used conventional bombs to make Disney Afghanistan's parking lot.

Actually I think we might have.

It might have a lot to do with topography because Iraq is generally a lot flatter and accessible than Afghanistan, but ever notice the disparity in close-up coverage of both wars? What I mean is we've seen plenty of bodies, American, Iraqi and insurgent coming out of Iraq. We've seen the smashed city blocks, the burnt out vehicles, civilian and military, and the people of Iraq close up.

Now of course the coverage in the past few years out of Afghanistan has really tapered off, but I remember in the early days of the war all the press photos were of Afghan tribesmen standing around watching these freakin' massive plumes of smoke and debris in the far distance as we ran strategic bombers over those mountains. What I heard of it, if they were too deep in mountain caves to reach, we'd just bomb and collapse mountainsides to seal them in.

Just in the past few weeks my uncle was in town, and this was the first time he openly talked about Vietnam, perhaps it took this long before he could talk loosely about it. He was commenting over breakfast one morning about how the guys in his unit (Army Corps of Engineers) used to sit back smoking pot and watching the B-52's carpet-bombing in the distance.

Documentaries I watched on it say if you're inside a kilometer of a B-52 bombing run, your eardrums are gone from the concussions. If you're inside half a kilometer, you were just plain erased from existence.

I recall an article that after the heaviest free for all bombing in the beginning of the war, there was an earthquake in the region that Russian scientists suspected we triggered with all the thudding.

So in reply, I heavily suspect we bombed the living shit out of them, in fact I'm convinced we did unless I hear otherwise. But now you're also hearing almost weekly reports of alleged US drone attacks killing AQ and Taliban with missile strikes...Afghanistan has been fought in the shadows and it's been fought at a distance, and it's also been reported at a distance for obvious reasons. In fact I suspect if the public knew just how bad we hit them it would have turned general opinion against the war.

Inkidu

In interest of keeping this funny. I remember watching the initial invasion of Baghdad and Saddam or someone saying, "There are no American troops in Baghdad." I instantly saw an Abrams wheeling in the background, and I swear to God I saw a soldier wave for the camera.