Obama kicks hundreds of lobbyists off advisory panels

Started by Vekseid, November 27, 2009, 06:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

He's been doing a lot of this all quiet-like.

Hundreds, if not thousands, of lobbyists are likely to be ejected from federal advisory panels as part of a little-noticed initiative by the Obama administration to curb K Street's influence in Washington, according to White House officials and lobbying experts.

The new policy -- issued with little fanfare this fall by the White House ethics counsel -- may turn out to be the most far-reaching lobbying rule change so far from President Obama, who also has sought to restrict the ability of lobbyists to get jobs in his administration and to negotiate over stimulus contracts.

The initiative is aimed at a system of advisory committees so vast that federal officials don't have exact numbers for its size; the most recent estimates tally nearly 1,000 panels with total membership exceeding 60,000 people.

Under the policy, which is being phased in over the coming months, none of the more than 13,000 lobbyists in Washington would be able to hold seats on the committees, which advise agencies on trade rules, troop levels, environmental regulations, consumer protections and thousands of other government policies.

Naturally, some aren't very happy about the move. I can only hope this is a step towards culling the shitguzzlers from Congress entirely.

Avi

Frankly, lobbyists have gotten a bad rap in politics.  While I'm glad to see them getting kicked off advisory panels because, frankly, they have no right to directly influence policy, they still have the right to give their opinions.  Maybe there's some kind of middle-ground that can be achieved?
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

Talia

Yes, they can do it like the rest of the public. Take it up with your elected official and such. I'm not going to rant....but soooo want to.

It's diffidently a step in the right direction.
He looks at me and my heart starts skipping beats, my face starts to glow and my eyes start to twinkle.
Imagine what he would do to me if he smiled!

Smile... it's the second best thing to do with your lips.

On's & Off's
The Oath of Drake for Group RP's
A&A

Callie Del Noire

I think it's a good step. Lobbyists have WAY to much power right now. Look at the stuff that the copyright lobbyists have pulled. And then there are the folks to manipulate policy strictly for the benefit of their clients.

I wonder how many 'special laws', earmarks and so on are the result of folks on special committees and such that are residents of K street Lobbyist groups. I wonder how many folks do five or six years on the hill (or at the white house) with the idea of getting out and getting that lovely 100k+/year job pimping some special interest.

DarklingAlice

Quote from: Laurrel on November 27, 2009, 10:50:14 AM
Yes, they can do it like the rest of the public.

Hear, hear! Everyone should have an equal right and opportunity to make their voices heard.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Revolverman

Nice one Obama. Glad to see that change wasn't just a catchphrase.

Kotah

This may keep some fingers out of the apple pie, but I don't think it's going to change much. I think what is going to happen is the low-funded lobbyists that aren't main stream (and mean for a lot more good) are going to be lost while high-funded lobbyists are going to buy there way in.
Finally in a rage we scream at the top of our lungs into this lonely night, begging and pleading they stop sucking up dry.There as guilty as sin, still as they always do when faced with an angry mob: they wipe the blood from their mouths and calm us down with their words of milk and honey. So the play begins, we the once angry mob are now pacified and sit quietly entertained. But the curtain exists far from now becasue their lies have been spoken. My dear, have you forgotten what comes next? This is the part where we change the world.

auroraChloe

Quote from: Avi on November 27, 2009, 10:27:24 AM
Frankly, lobbyists have gotten a bad rap in politics.    <snip>   they still have the right to give their opinions.   

i don't see lobbyists as giving opinions, in fact they probably keep their honest opinions to them selves.  a lobbyist is a paid marketing professional.

Watch 'Thank You for Smoking'.  funny movie and really opened my eyes to how the systems 'works'

a/a 8/21/17

Vekseid

Quote from: Kotah on November 28, 2009, 11:36:40 AM
This may keep some fingers out of the apple pie, but I don't think it's going to change much. I think what is going to happen is the low-funded lobbyists that aren't main stream (and mean for a lot more good) are going to be lost while high-funded lobbyists are going to buy there way in.

This actually has a lot to do with how Obama intends to cut federal costs. These lobbyists are a big part of why federal programs cost so much.

Ideally, they'd be removed from Congress as well. We would want to increase the congressional staff budget - but I'm quite fine with that as an idea.