Roleplay Tutoring..?

Started by Mnemosyne, September 15, 2016, 12:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mnemosyne

So, as of late I have been worried that my roleplay prompts are not what they ought to be. As such, I wondered if there might be some secret cavern somewhere... that I could perhaps get advice on this subject..? Not just a basic guide somewhere but... someplace I could actually ask people for assistance in looking at the prompts..? Not to have things critiqued but friendly advice that might help me make my roleplay concepts more appealing one way or another..?
I like my posts like I like my cock.
Thick, lengthy, and something I can choke up on.
Cravings//Apologies&Absences//O&O
I've been Insulted... Disrespected... I've been
Mistreated

AmberStarfire

Personally, what I've found works for me is to usually find the writing partner first who I want to write with. Bridge the subject, discuss ideas, and come up with a story out of it between you.

That way they have an equal part in the story idea, and you can both come up with ideas that you're into. I know there are a lot of people who post prompts and I have before too, but approaching people or discussing ideas with them is what has worked best for me.

Mnemosyne

That has somewhat worked for me..? It mostly works, but I believe for certain if not all of my roleplays however I have somehow left out enough that when people do approach me about them or I approach others... it never turns out right? They seem to want to turn the roleplay into something completely different from what I had in mind..? I try to leave my prompts/ideas open enough to give my partners wiggle room but... at the same time I think I might be giving them too much wiggle room? For worry that if I speak up about what I really want they'll not want to play with me, but then I realize if I don't speak up I am just making a game that isn't going to make me happy anymore? If that makes any sense? I have thought that perhaps it is me needing to just be more specific by writing an on/off page but... even then it seems to be hard to get across my desires and dislikes in a way that makes it clear to others I think..? I feel I am always either too vague or too detailed, I'm not sure how to find a happy medium?
I like my posts like I like my cock.
Thick, lengthy, and something I can choke up on.
Cravings//Apologies&Absences//O&O
I've been Insulted... Disrespected... I've been
Mistreated

AmberStarfire

You could always write your prompts to include aspects you're absolutely set on and ones you're willing to compromise on.

If you do approach people, it may help to approach those who you know to some level or whose writing you're already familiar with. That way it may give you some insight into how they approach their stories and what to expect.

If you don't have an Ons/Offs page, then that would be a good idea (to write one). I notice you have your roleplaying preferences filled out, but even so, O/O is useful. I usually copy/paste one into the other so it simplifies things.

Is there any point not being clear about what you really want? A story is here to be what you and your writing partner/s decide it should be. If you're not clear about it, you may end up writing something that you're not really into. It's not a job and it shouldn't feel like a chore. It's for fun.