MARVEL - A New Fate: Recruitment (Continually Recruiting)

Started by Veluux, October 30, 2012, 08:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Veluux

Hey everyone. Added the character bio code to the first post of this thread. Make sure to get those bios to me at some point this weekend. Thanks! Just PM them to me and I will add them to the bio thread if they are satisfactory. Much appreciated.

I am watching you [you]...
From the darkest of shadows...

TheVillain

My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

kckolbe

Glad to see some more female characters.  I'd been interested, but didn't want to create a male and make the gender ratio worse, but it looks more reasonable now.  I played a pretty solid Banshee once, and would like to do so again.  I can do about two posts a week, faster if all you need is an action (combat scenes).  You said that two or three paragraphs is fine here and there, does that mean you'd normally prefer longer?
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

RedEve

"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Veluux

Quote from: kckolbe on November 03, 2012, 04:57:20 AM
Glad to see some more female characters.  I'd been interested, but didn't want to create a male and make the gender ratio worse, but it looks more reasonable now.  I played a pretty solid Banshee once, and would like to do so again.  I can do about two posts a week, faster if all you need is an action (combat scenes).  You said that two or three paragraphs is fine here and there, does that mean you'd normally prefer longer?

It really depends on the quality of the writing. In my experience three paragraphs has usually felt a little thin unless there is heavy action or lots of dialogue. So long as you post matches the flow of the game, it doesnt really matter too much. I just like to see a lot of the depth of the character in the posts.  ^.^

kckolbe

I disagree, and think that longer posts tend to have their flaws as well, but oh well.  I'll sit this one out.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Vaulera

Now what do you feel like a "paragraph" entails. I personally like going for one or two ten or eleven sentence paragraphs, instead of a three or four six or eight sentence paragraphs.

Crash

I'm going with whatever makes sense for my character at the time. 

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

bubby

All Vel is wanting is effort in posts.

We will have so many colorful characters rich in substance that it should be easy to write them well.

Veluux

Quote from: bubby on November 03, 2012, 07:32:33 PM
All Vel is wanting is effort in posts.

We will have so many colorful characters rich in substance that it should be easy to write them well.

Precisely. Im not going to sit and write a list of rules and guidelines for posting that are just going to annoy and irritate myself and others. Just leave people stuff to interact with and bring your character to life. However many sentences or paragraphs that takes you. I was just trying politely say "dont post short, effortless, unintersting garbage posts that nobody wants to read" Lol. Cause I have experienced that here at E (just in a one on one). Theres nothing worse than feeling like youre having to write for someone elses character because they cant properly respond to interactions and dont bother to think ahead about how believable their dialogue and actions look.

Rant over. Just do your best, just from reading character bios PMed to me, I can tell who can write and who cant, and so far I see no issues. This should be a fun and interesting game if everyone puts as much effort into their posts as they have their CS's.

Photo

i think, down in your heart Vel, you knew that i would show up for this game. Original Character coming soon. Just gotta put my thinking cap on....

hmmm, in the first play by post game i ever played, i created 9 mutants from scratch... this feels remarkably familiar.
Apologies and Absences

MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA

Veluux

Quote from: Photo on November 04, 2012, 12:24:37 AM
i think, down in your heart Vel, you knew that i would show up for this game. Original Character coming soon. Just gotta put my thinking cap on....

hmmm, in the first play by post game i ever played, i created 9 mutants from scratch... this feels remarkably familiar.

^.^ Can't wait to see your character/s (maximum is two per person).

Photo

well, while doing research, i found something even better than an original character, an x-men i had never heard of before.

I'll be playing Danielle Moonstar, originally in X-men #2 Issue 102 (2000). I'll take it easy for now, and leave it at that. I'm still gonna post my CS, but I'll do it in the OOC so that this thread doesn't get all cluttered.
Apologies and Absences

MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA

Veluux

Quote from: Photo on November 04, 2012, 01:12:52 AM
well, while doing research, i found something even better than an original character, an x-men i had never heard of before.

I'll be playing Danielle Moonstar, originally in X-men #2 Issue 102 (2000). I'll take it easy for now, and leave it at that. I'm still gonna post my CS, but I'll do it in the OOC so that this thread doesn't get all cluttered.

If it's a canon character, then just PM me the bio. No need to post it in the OOC. Only original character bio's need to get posted in the OOC (but that is mostly to make sure it isn't copycat-ing some Marvel character I am not familiar with). Just PM it Photo, I'll take a look and let you know if its fine or what needs to be changed to suit the game.

Given the nature of this RP, the size, and the fact that we will have a lot of combat happening - its crucial that I keep everyone relatively balanced. I may even use plot devices and game mechanics to bring extremely powerful characters down a notch (like magneto for example) and also to boost weaker characters up slightly.

kckolbe

If all you want is effort, then I can definitely do that.  I'll go out on a limb and say that loislanekent can vouch for my RP as Banshee, and I will PM you a char sheet for him if that is okay.

Intro Thread

Veluux

I just realized that a lot of you may not have caught the link to the OOC thread posted earlier. Thats where ive been posting all GM updates for the time being. Heres the most recent one.

Quote from: Veluux on November 04, 2012, 01:58:50 AM
-  GM UPDATE!!!  -

Okay. So I am beginning to notice a trend with the character bios being sent to me. Also getting a few questions about what parts of a character's history should or shouldn't be there. Obviously I'm not going to be able to micromanage every character as to what they need to keep or toss in every specific event and circumstance. So I'm going to give you all a better picture of what I'm looking for. Basically this plot would be classified almost as an Alternate-Reality type of story. As placing it at a specific time in any ONE character's history will completely conflict with another character's history.

So to make it simple, just think of our current day and age - but use whatever placement point in your character's history is convenient. Take the movie Iron Man, for example. In the comics, Tony actually built his armor to escape captivity during the Vietnam war, not the OEF war in Afghanistan - but the directors and writers chose to alter WHEN it happened to make it more relative to their viewing audience.

You all need to think of your characters the same way. Some of our players aren't MARVEL guru's and many of these characters are completely foreign to them (myself included!). So keep your character's bio brief with primarily an origin story. If you're going to include past events where you interacted with another character that is being played in this story, make sure you PM that character's player and make sure they want to include it as well. We all need to be on the same page here - even if it's a blank page where the characters are meeting for the first time, or have never even heard of each other before. That's why I say this really fits under an "Alternate Reality". Since it covers such a broad scope of characters, stories, etc... it just has to be - for the sake of preventing a million conflicts of backstory.

Communication is key. Confer with each other to make sure both parties are aware of any past interactions you'll be referring to prior to bios (and definitely prior to IC posts). Also do not be alarmed or feel slighted if I have to slightly nerf/buff your character to create some form of combat balance. Obviously some characters are more powerful than others, and creative teamwork will be required to even the odds - which is the goal of the resistance when it comes to fighting Apocalypse and his four horsemen (since they are a great deal more powerful than the resistance members - at least on an individual level).

Try to think critically about the character you are playing and how they best fit this plot and this current cast of players. Think about what role they will take on and mold them to fit that natural role - even if you have to ignore certain events in their past or make up new ones to justify it. Even though they are canon, in this particular game these are YOUR characters.

I hope this eases the character bio process. You don't need to spend hours typing out your character's history step by step. Just give the origin and what events really shape the personality they will possess for THIS game. Be mindful of their powers and abilities and keep them in proportion with what will be required of them when fighting as a team against Apocalypse soldiers, as well as against himself and his horsemen.

Also, don't forget to utilize the last section "Current Relationships and Activity" to really infuse your character into the current plot and create some interactions between yourself and other players. If you've been searching for another character (like Magneto or Ironman - two widely known superhuman leaders), been in hiding with another player's character, or been skirmishing against Apocalypse forces or one of the horsemen in specific. Whatever it takes to place you in the story somewhere and get a nice flow right out of the gate.

Whew... that ended up being longer than I thought. Everyone sees what I'm getting at here though right? Completely altered version of the Earth, and to get all our characters to properly align will take a little bit of tweaking, from EVERYONE (myself included). Don't think of it as an extension of your character's already massive history.

Thanks!
     -Vel

Veluux

Clicking the quote link will take you to the OOC thread. Please bookmark it.

Veluux

I've updated this thread's first post to mirror the Main Directory (for the most part). If you haven't yet checked out the OOC, Character, or IC threads, go ahead and give them a peek. Let me know if any links aren't working.

Also, we're always open for new characters - who can join the fun at any time. Just let us know what character you're interested in playing and we'll talk about a character sheet. They can be canon or original.

Neysha

Quote from: Veluux on November 05, 2012, 01:09:47 AM
I've updated this thread's first post to mirror the Main Directory (for the most part). If you haven't yet checked out the OOC, Character, or IC threads, go ahead and give them a peek. Let me know if any links aren't working.

Also, we're always open for new characters - who can join the fun at any time. Just let us know what character you're interested in playing and we'll talk about a character sheet. They can be canon or original.

As random and obscure as it might be, I was thinking of portraying either Abigail Brand or Dakota North. I truly enjoy the low powered and low tier types. Might even portray them both. I dunno. Not sure if they're a fit in this RP.
My Request Thread
Ons & Offs/Role-Plays Current and Past
FemDex: Index of Fictional Women
F-List Profiles: Constance Carrington, Damashi, SCP6969
Prepare For The Next Eight Years
Find me on Discord at: mnblend6567
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)

Veluux

Quote from: Neysha on November 05, 2012, 09:42:20 AM
As random and obscure as it might be, I was thinking of portraying either Abigail Brand or Dakota North. I truly enjoy the low powered and low tier types. Might even portray them both. I dunno. Not sure if they're a fit in this RP.

Either or both is fine. You're allowed two characters maximum; though there is no requirement to play more than one. Just PM me a character sheet. Please go ahead and thumb through the OOC briefly first for GM updates - as some of them pertain to creating a character bio. Specifically THIS one.

Veluux

Updated the roster to current. Game just started but recruitment is always on going. Please reply with any interest/questions you might have!

Reading the Character Bio for Apocalypse as well as the location descriptions in each of the six threads will give you a VERY good idea as to what direction the game is starting in. Hope you find it interesting!

Thanks!
-Veluux

apygoos

...is anyone else in NY thats going to help Spidey? >.>
NY feels rather empty..for now

Crash

Just a little bump.  The game looks like is needs a few female characters as well as some activity in a couple of areas.  Get in when the game is still starting.  Loads of good writing going on.

This message will self destruct in 10...9...8...

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

apygoos

yes, this a superb game going on right now, and were barely even started,

Madriv

The Resistance Needs YOU!

No prior knowledge of the Marvel comics/film universe is necessary. Willingness to battle super-villains for the future of the earth itself is a must!

Sure, we're outnumbered. Sure, we're outgunned. Sure, the odds are NOT in our favor. When has that ever stopped us before?

Visit our top secret recruitment center today and Save the Planet*!

*Literally!