News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Star Wars anyone?

Started by MagicalPen, August 24, 2007, 04:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicalPen

Not entirely sure why but for some reason i've been yearning a dice-less (never played a dice game) Star Wars Game. My search on the 'net has been pretty fruitless for one that also allows Mature/Adult themes and i havent seen any here. Not of fan of Star Trek, but based on its popularity, I am also surprised not to see any Star Trek Games here.

Now, my knowledge doesn't extend beyond the Movies or the Game Star Wars Commandos, so i think i'd be ill-fitting as a GM of such a game. But playing Knights of the Old Republic II just makes me want to fade away into a universe of that nature and scope.

So perhaps this is more of a ramble then anything, but anyone else interested in a Star Wars Game of some sort?

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Swedish Steel

You know, I am also a but suprised by this. My very first attempt at roleplaying over the net was in a Star Trek game, I think it lasted well over a year, and my character is one I remember fondly, one of my favorites actually.
So yeah, I'm suprised there aren't more such games here, back in the days the internet was filled with them.
"Ah, no, not bukkake chef! Secret ingredient always same."

On Off page:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5467.0

MagicalPen

A Star-Trek Sim was one of the first games i played in too. Most PBEM Sites (where you can post adds) have more StarTrek Games then any other and usually have a Star Trek Genre (as opposed to putting them in the Sci-Fi Category). Based on the amount of Members E has, i find it amazing that there isn't at least one Star Trek Game. Star Wars games seem to be few and far between, or are dice(ful) and non-mature. I'm hesitant about joining any of those since i dont know any Dice Systems and I really cant stand immature teens who think they're the next Luke Skywalker or some such nonsense.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Swedish Steel

I joined a Star Wars game here once, Nikita was one of the GMs I believe. I remember they had some problems recruiting players.

On Off page:

Vandren

There was a Trek one for a bit, I think maybe Lancis or MadPanda or someone was running it, but I don't recall it lasting very long.
- NCEF Small Games [Star Trek: Visions]

There've been a couple attempts at Star Wars ones, mostly system, I think.  We had the one freeform, but it died out partly because of a lack of players, partly because some of those we had were . . . well annoying in their desire to see the board as a contest for "who knows the most about the non-canon setting," and partly because of RL issues for both mods (myself included in that).

That said, it'd be cool to see another come into being.  Perhaps the best way might be in a non-Jedi focused manner (something I'd been thinking about back in December, but never got around to developing).
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Swedish Steel

Heh, I know you can't be talking about me, my character didn't have a clue. :)

On Off page:

Vandren

Quote from: Swedish Steel on August 24, 2007, 05:54:13 PM
Heh, I know you can't be talking about me, my character didn't have a clue. :)

Nope, nope.  There was one, maybe two, in particular.  I don't think (s)he is/they are still active here, otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned it.  :D
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

MagicalPen

Yeah, I think its only fair to use non-Jedi characters. The Star Wars Universe from my understanding is vast enough that we wouldnt have to use Jedi since there is plenty of other stuff to explore. Like i said, i know nothing more then what is in the Movies, but am sure there are those here who can help flesh it out.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Archangel

It might be fun to play in a Rebellion era game, using a small rebel cell on some planet. That way Jedi woul dbe practically non-existant, though having a force-sensitive character or two would be fun. I might be willing to help run such a game, if there was allot of interest, but I don't think I could take the lead DM roll...
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you...

MagicalPen

I think that might work out for the better - a small cell on a planet. Would have to determine what planet and come up with a list of technologies/weapons (i believe i can find one regarding armor/items/weapons from a KOTOR II Webpage)...anyone else have any thoughtS?

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

HairyHeretic

I have access to a number of the d20 books. Let me know if you want info on specific races, gear etc, and I can probably help out.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Vandren

Good online resources include:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page - Wookiepedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Star_Wars - Star Wars portal on Wikipedia

For cheap print resources, I'd recommend the last two edititions of Bill Slavicsek's Guide to the Star Wars Universe, especially the second edition for things up through the release of the Thrawn series of books.  Third edition for everything beyond that point, though the second edition still has better front matter.

Suzaku

I always been trying to play the new Saga game

MagicalPen

Well i'm trying to avoid a game involving dice. I'm a newbie when it comes to any form of dice game, so if i was to be part CO-GM, i'd be utterly lost and confused. I also dont really know the Star Wars Universe beyond how it appears in the movies.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Archangel

I've played the Saga edition a little bit and I really like it. They're saying it's a preview to what the 4th edition will be...

I agree with Silvestine, I'd rather see a game like this be free-form, however, I've no objections to the GM (or GMs) using some rules and rolls to determine random effects. The players shouldn't really have to do more than describe their characters and indicate a few strenghts and weaknesses. The GMs can do the rest. 

The game could be played a little like a video game, start as a small cell on a planet, then at one point or after a certain event you can unlock a ship available to the players, then maybe unlock a few new locations and expand from there.

MadPanda

Quote from: Vandren on August 24, 2007, 05:52:29 PM
There was a Trek one for a bit, I think maybe Lancis or MadPanda or someone was running it, but I don't recall it lasting very long.
- NCEF Small Games [Star Trek: Visions]

Wasn't me, honest!

Quote from: Vandren on August 24, 2007, 05:52:29 PM
There've been a couple attempts at Star Wars ones, mostly system, I think.  We had the one freeform, but it died out partly because of a lack of players, partly because some of those we had were . . . well annoying in their desire to see the board as a contest for "who knows the most about the non-canon setting," and partly because of RL issues for both mods (myself included in that).

Was that the one with the all-Sith party?  Aiyah, what a mess...

I must scratch my head at the idea of someone NOT knowing how to play any RPG with dice (thus showing all the grey hair in my shaggy pelt)...no offense intended to you, Sil, because there's a LOT of cool stuff that works best with freeform.  Normally, one hears complaints like 'freeform?  but that's soooooo arbitrary!'  ;D ;D ;D

Ahem.  End of curmudgeonly aside.

That said, SWSE is about as simple as d20 can get.  It's quite playable--moreso than anything else d20, IMHO.  You could easily do Dirty Pair with it.  And here ends the only word of praise I have for any given WotC product, because it's still overpriced for the content.

So freeform's okay by me, since you won't have to worry about Hit Points or Experience Points or how to level up a droid or suffer those damned Attribute Adjustments or...

(For a very, very silly take on systemless systems, I'd almost suggest Wushu Open and the Clone Wars addition, which is as close to freeform as anything with dice can get, but it's not for everybody.  Links provided upon request.)
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

MagicalPen

A little off topic, but i've never met anyone who plays table-top or anything, so was never exposed to Dice games. Sure, a bunch of PC games i have use Dice Systems of some sort, but all that stuff is automated and easy to use (also has Auto-Level Up Functions) but i dont think i could keep track of all that stuff for a handful of players. As far as through PBEM or Board, yep, never played a Dice game either.

I did run a WWII RPG a while back where we did use dice for combat. We assigned results for rolling certain numbers - along the lines of:

1 - 2 = Fatal Hit, Position Not Given Away
3 - 4 = Fatal Hit, Position Revealed
5 - 6 = Wounding Hit, Position Revealed
7 - 8 = Miss, Position Revealed

Etc. Pretty simple. It was a Special Forces type unit.

Anyways - would there be any interest in running a Star Wars game of some sort? Anyone interested in helping run the game?

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

MadPanda

Can't commit to running anything else at the moment, alas.

PM follows.
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Vandren

Quote from: MadPanda on August 26, 2007, 02:35:43 PM
Was that the one with the all-Sith party?  Aiyah, what a mess...

Nah, it was the Jedi Academy.  :)

No real time to run anything right now either, especially with classes starting tomorrow . . . too damn many new lesson plans to write up.

Archangel

I could easily be pursuaded into helping with a game, sure. About a year ago I finished running my P&P group through the entire 5 year living force campaign. We had a blast.

MagicalPen

I'd be willing to help get things going (my idea afterall) if you'd be willing to help. I'd also like to be a character in the game too (doh) but i think if we get a solid foundation as to where the game takes place, rules, etc, it'll definitely help to get things started.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

RedEve

I used to be part of several non-adult SW games, I'd be willing to join this if you'll have me.

What setting would you be using for this roleplay, any idea where on the SW time line it would be situated?
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

HybridHalf

System-based stuff a complete turn-off for me. Even numbers. Scare me.

That being said, Twileks and the Slave Leia outfits did turn me on.

Max

Quote from: MadPanda on August 26, 2007, 02:35:43 PM
That said, SWSE is about as simple as d20 can get.  It's quite playable--moreso than anything else d20, IMHO.  You could easily do Dirty Pair with it.  And here ends the only word of praise I have for any given WotC product, because it's still overpriced for the content.

Me and a friend actually played the Dirty Pair in a d6 version of Star Wars RPG.  Lot of fun. 

That being said, would be willing to try out a free form game, depending on the setting.  Not very interested in Jedi myself.
"Are you into whips and chains too?"
"No, chainsaws."  (just kidding)

Ons and offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4738.new#new

Vandren

Freefrom v. System, at least here, I think depends on how big a group is desired.  Systems are likely to draw a relatively small number of posters (or a very small number).  Freeform is more likely to have broad appeal.  So, for a small group board (say up to 5 players), system could be fine (though I'd be out since I abhor TSR/WotC/Hasbro and don't have any of the WEG stuff).  If a large/expandable group is desired, freeform's probably the way to go.