The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on June 05, 2015, 07:32:56 PM
Well its not official but so far yes it really does look like he will be the choice.

Yeah, I'd heard it was down to him or one other toddler. Is this really happening? I thought Marvel getting involved would fix the problem, not make it worse than ever.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Mathim on June 05, 2015, 10:12:12 PM
Yeah, I'd heard it was down to him or one other toddler. Is this really happening? I thought Marvel getting involved would fix the problem, not make it worse than ever.

Was it Sony or Marvel who insisted on a teenage Spiderman? Butterfield's probably the best actor in the age range that can reasonably portray a really young Peter, so he's not a bad choice for the role that we have to get.

SapphireStar

They said Sony has the last say who gets picked. Wasn't Asa Butterfield in Ender's Game? Is Spider-Man going to be in Junior High? I'd have gone with Dylan O'Brien from Teen Wolf. At least he has experience doing action scenes, has the dry, sarscatic humor and roughly the right age for Spider-man.

I would love to see Rick Yune cast. If they do the Hand in Daredevil, I wonder if they will bring in Silver Samurai? I think the next show they should develop should be Heroes for Hire. It would fit nicely in with the other Netflix shows.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on June 05, 2015, 11:07:27 PM
They said Sony has the last say who gets picked. Wasn't Asa Butterfield in Ender's Game? Is Spider-Man going to be in Junior High? I'd have gone with Dylan O'Brien from Teen Wolf. At least he has experience doing action scenes, has the dry, sarscatic humor and roughly the right age for Spider-man.

I would love to see Rick Yune cast. If they do the Hand in Daredevil, I wonder if they will bring in Silver Samurai? I think the next show they should develop should be Heroes for Hire. It would fit nicely in with the other Netflix shows.

Agreed, Stiles would have at least passed for 18 or so and wouldn't have been automatically forced to still be in high school to be believable. What's fun about a Spider-Man who has a curfew?

I know that name, but can't put a face to Rick Yune just off the top of my head. But Silver Samurai is an X-Men property so even though they royally fucked him up in The Wolverine (and he wasn't even a mutant like in the comics), he won't fall within Marvel's jurisdiction. A real shame, they almost surely would have done him justice. But there's still plenty of great characters to draw from. Typhoid Mary would be very interesting.

One thing is still bugging me about these other shows coming along. Apparently there are characters like Jessica Jones who, in her younger days, was a superheroine and now is a private detective. How is this not something that made headlines and got her recruited into SHIELD or the Avengers? Same thing with her nemesis, Killgrave the Purple Man; how does stuff like this pass under the radar to the point where a bystander like that cameo of Stan Lee from the Avengers can possibly still be skeptical about this stuff happening right under their noses?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

Rick Yune was in the first Fast and Furious movie as a rival to Dom Torreto. He was also in the James Bond movie along with Halle Berry in Die Another Day as Zao. He did do an appearance on Alias in an episode early in Season 4.

Though the Hand was prominent in Daredevil, they were also rivals of Wolverine. I'm sure some negotiating could be worked out since, rumors are flying that the X-men are sort of being pushed out in favor of the Phase 3 and others. Since the tv shows exist in another universe, it might be possible.

From what I read of Jessica Jones's bio. She was so bad as a superhero that she gave it up to do the investigative work that she does. I think she helps S.H.I.E.L.D. when it comes to superpowered individuals who need help. That might be why she flew under their radar.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on June 06, 2015, 12:09:41 AM
Rick Yune was in the first Fast and Furious movie as a rival to Dom Torreto. He was also in the James Bond movie along with Halle Berry in Die Another Day as Zao. He did do an appearance on Alias in an episode early in Season 4.

Though the Hand was prominent in Daredevil, they were also rivals of Wolverine. I'm sure some negotiating could be worked out since, rumors are flying that the X-men are sort of being pushed out in favor of the Phase 3 and others. Since the tv shows exist in another universe, it might be possible.

From what I read of Jessica Jones's bio. She was so bad as a superhero that she gave it up to do the investigative work that she does. I think she helps S.H.I.E.L.D. when it comes to superpowered individuals who need help. That might be why she flew under their radar.

I'm not sure what you mean by the TV shows existing in another universe; they're still MCU canon.

So, Jones might have been so ineffectual at it she might have just been as anonymous as the devil of Hell's Kitchen before giving it up altogether? Okay, I'll buy that. The other two, Power Man and Iron Fist, could legitimately just now emerge without there being any history for them to have to worry about avoiding SHIELD's attention for years.

SapphireStar

That the tv shows and MCU exist in a seperate universe from the X-men.

Or, they could have known about her, but because she was so bad at being a superhero that they didn't consider her a threat. Where Iron Fist trained was probably off the radar that S.H.I.E.L.D. couldn't detect it. Yeah, more and more people with powers are emerging. Which setups up the Civil War plot and later the Inhumans movie. I wonder if they'll introduce Colleen Wing and Misty Knight in Jessica Jones and Iron Fist.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on June 06, 2015, 06:37:18 PM
That the tv shows and MCU exist in a seperate universe from the X-men.

Or, they could have known about her, but because she was so bad at being a superhero that they didn't consider her a threat. Where Iron Fist trained was probably off the radar that S.H.I.E.L.D. couldn't detect it. Yeah, more and more people with powers are emerging. Which setups up the Civil War plot and later the Inhumans movie. I wonder if they'll introduce Colleen Wing and Misty Knight in Jessica Jones and Iron Fist.

K'un L'un was a pocket dimension, not unlike Asgard, where Iron Fist wound up being trained so yeah, he'd definitely be off of SHIELD's radar. If Luke Cage only just wound up being arrested and/or experimented upon, him becoming Power Man recently is definitely a good reason for him also not being on the short list of super individuals. I think Misty Knight might possibly wait until Luke Cage or Iron Fist to make an appearance but Wing probably will appear in Jones' first season or possibly Daredevil season 2 if they're going heavy with the Eastern invasion stuff like the Hand, Elektra and such.

CuriousEyes

Quote from: Mathim on June 05, 2015, 11:24:46 PM
One thing is still bugging me about these other shows coming along. Apparently there are characters like Jessica Jones who, in her younger days, was a superheroine and now is a private detective. How is this not something that made headlines and got her recruited into SHIELD or the Avengers? Same thing with her nemesis, Killgrave the Purple Man; how does stuff like this pass under the radar to the point where a bystander like that cameo of Stan Lee from the Avengers can possibly still be skeptical about this stuff happening right under their noses?

The MCU takes liberties with the source material - Jessica Jones on Netflix will probably have an at least slightly adjusted backstory to fit the continuity. If I had to guess, they'll move her gaining powers to a more "recent" development.

Alternatively, Agents of SHIELD explained last season that they don't always meddle in the lives of powered folk. They catalog them on the "Index" after discovery, but some powered people have been allowed to live relatively in peace if they don't draw attention. Could go that route with Jessica.

Mathim

Quote from: CuriousEyes on June 06, 2015, 09:58:20 PM
The MCU takes liberties with the source material - Jessica Jones on Netflix will probably have an at least slightly adjusted backstory to fit the continuity. If I had to guess, they'll move her gaining powers to a more "recent" development.

Alternatively, Agents of SHIELD explained last season that they don't always meddle in the lives of powered folk. They catalog them on the "Index" after discovery, but some powered people have been allowed to live relatively in peace if they don't draw attention. Could go that route with Jessica.

Well obviously she can't have been schoolmates with Peter Parker if they're making him an adolescent during Civil War, so that's a shift from the comics continuity. Jones also assumed more than one super identity and spent a significant amount of time controlled by Killgrave so while her super career may have been short-lived, the very fact that she decided to be super and not maintain a low profile like, say, Scorch from Agents of SHIELD suggests she would have gotten SHIELD a bit more involved, I would think. They're going to have to be creative in making it work to where they don't have to fudge the entire timeline for her origin and such to make sense. Plus I'm not 100% sure what exactly her full range of powers are, or how exactly she got them.

Also, Roxxon Energy seems to be cropping up more, and I know Namor was one of their enemies because they were notorious polluters, so I hope if they actively come into play, it means he won't be far behind, even if only on TV and not the big screen. Marvel needs their own Aquaman if they don't want to lose that fight to DC. They're going pretty different with Aquaman as it is with what we've seen so far, but I have a feeling Namor will be played much more faithfully to the comics (within the confines of not having him be a mutant due to X-Men owning that trademark) than Jason Momoa's non-blonde, wildman-looking Aquaman.

CaptainNexus616

I doubt Marvel really cares about fighting over who has the better king of the sea character right now. Marvel already has most of the plan written out and is currently wearing the crown proudly and comfortable right now. They have the start and end in mind and have left a lot of room in between to include changes like the deal to have Spidey appear now.

So any thoughts what's going to occur Post Infinity War? With so many characters and such brought in think they will either reboot or continue the universe after Thanos is taken care of?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on June 06, 2015, 10:23:46 PM
I doubt Marvel really cares about fighting over who has the better king of the sea character right now. Marvel already has most of the plan written out and is currently wearing the crown proudly and comfortable right now. They have the start and end in mind and have left a lot of room in between to include changes like the deal to have Spidey appear now.

So any thoughts what's going to occur Post Infinity War? With so many characters and such brought in think they will either reboot or continue the universe after Thanos is taken care of?

My Phase 4/whatever they're doing post-Phase 3 idea is, Thanos is going to cause so much damage that a time-reversal will be necessary to repair everything. This would cause tiny changes and justify re-casting roles for the same characters, open up the doors for new ones and basically make the sky the limit. One things that bothers me is that Inhumans was supposed to take place before the conclusion of Infinity War and thanks to Spidey entering the scene, the Inhumans is now supposedly going to premiere after the Infinity War is over with. I don't know how that's supposed to work logistically if their main introduction was supposed to be in time for them to join the fight against Thanos but we'll just have to wait and see.

It does seem like them bringing in Spider-Man this late in the game is just going to create more problems than solutions with how it's throwing off the timing and what they're actually doing with the character. How are they going to make his voice sound like an adult's, I wonder? Anyone he interacts with is going to know he's just a kid, plus his size would also be a dead giveaway too. If they want to just change it to Spider-Boy, fine, but pretending he's Spider-Man isn't cool. I mean, there's Young Indiana Jones, and Superboy, and Kid Flash, Aqualad, etc., so it's not like no hero has ever had a 'junior' version of themselves at some point. The least Marvel could do is acknowledge that this character is a mere shell of what he's supposed to become, and that he doesn't deserve anywhere near the amount of cred his future self has earned. But enough beating this dead horse. Trying to make sense of studio execs' decisions is a waste of time.

CaptainNexus616

All I can suggest is that you look at this like when Michael Keaton was first casted as Batman. That choice enraged many hardcore Batman fans because at the time Keaton was a typecast (Means you play a similar role all the time) comedy actor. Bob Kane the creator of Batman itself disapproved greatly of this decision. Letters demanding Keaton to be fired were pouring in to the studio like mad from people whom thought this was a terrible idea.

BUT

against all odds Michael Keaton pulled the role off exceptionally well.

This is the whole reason despite my own disproval with casting choices I try to keep an open mind. (Of course some of my own comments have definitely shown otherwise) I try....
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on June 06, 2015, 10:59:18 PM
All I can suggest is that you look at this like when Michael Keaton was first casted as Batman. That choice enraged many hardcore Batman fans because at the time Keaton was a typecast (Means you play a similar role all the time) comedy actor. Bob Kane the creator of Batman itself disapproved greatly of this decision. Letters demanding Keaton to be fired were pouring in to the studio like mad from people whom thought this was a terrible idea.

BUT

against all odds Michael Keaton pulled the role off exceptionally well.

This is the whole reason despite my own disproval with casting choices I try to keep an open mind. (Of course some of my own comments have definitely shown otherwise) I try....

Keaton isn't a little boy. Completely wrong problem you're addressing. Same thing with race-swapping or gender-swapping the characters' actors. It has nothing to do with their reputations or abilities as actors.

And the same thing was said of Kevin Conroy to do the voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman in the animated series. And he ended up kicking so much ass he stayed in the role up through the end of Justice League Unlimited.

SapphireStar

Kevin Conroy also did Batman's voice for a few of the animated movies, from Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, Mystery of the Batwoman, Batman Beyond and several Justice League animated movies and video games. Keaton was the best live action Batman. Kilmer wasn't bad, ten times better then George Clooney.

Stumbled back onto an article, that they were adding a female Robin to Ben Affleck's Batman in Superman V. Batman. Jena Malone is reported to be playing the red headed Robin.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on June 07, 2015, 10:17:41 AM
Kevin Conroy also did Batman's voice for a few of the animated movies, from Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, Mystery of the Batwoman, Batman Beyond and several Justice League animated movies and video games. Keaton was the best live action Batman. Kilmer wasn't bad, ten times better then George Clooney.

Stumbled back onto an article, that they were adding a female Robin to Ben Affleck's Batman in Superman V. Batman. Jena Malone is reported to be playing the red headed Robin.

You liked Keaton better than Bale? Oh well. And Conroy also guest starred as the voice of Dick Grayson's father on The Batman on the episode where Robin lost his parents. And yeah, Kilmer, while nothing special, did do better than Clooney who just totally looked like he didn't want to be there.

Adding more characters to Batman before he himself even gets a proper introduction? Female or not, this is way too early for any Robin to be mucking about in things. It's starting to look more and more like Age of Ultron. There's Batman, Supes, Alfred, Lex, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Lois Lane, Perry White, a few other big-name actors whose roles haven't been conclusively revealed yet, and we're supposed to cram almost half a dozen origin stories into this on top of all this? When I first heard the title BvS, I was only expecting Bats and Supes and that would have been plenty for me. God forbid they try to cram an actual villain into this.

SapphireStar

I liked Christian Bale too. He and Keaton were the best.

When I heard about the Superman V Batman movie. I thought it would be something similar to the Superman/Batman: Public Enemies. But, with what I've been reading and seeing from the trailer, it looks more like a jumbled mess. It seems more like they decided to throw everyone into the mix to compete with the Avengers. The team up movie might have worked if they at least did seperate movies for Batman and Wonder Woman before Superman V Batman. Establish the origins first, then add in a few new characters to tease future solo movies.

Gods and Monsters animated movie looks interesting. More on the darker side. Batman rumored to be a vampire.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on June 07, 2015, 11:39:13 AM
I liked Christian Bale too. He and Keaton were the best.

When I heard about the Superman V Batman movie. I thought it would be something similar to the Superman/Batman: Public Enemies. But, with what I've been reading and seeing from the trailer, it looks more like a jumbled mess. It seems more like they decided to throw everyone into the mix to compete with the Avengers. The team up movie might have worked if they at least did seperate movies for Batman and Wonder Woman before Superman V Batman. Establish the origins first, then add in a few new characters to tease future solo movies.

Gods and Monsters animated movie looks interesting. More on the darker side. Batman rumored to be a vampire.

That's pretty much how I felt. The Avengers took the time and care to build up this shared universe. They too had a rocky start with the Incredible Hulk not bringing in very much and then taking a year off before Iron Man 2 which was also polarizing. DC needs to learn that just because you hit a few bumps in the road doesn't mean it can't pay off in the end if you stay the course and try to bring the quality up each time. It's like they want to try so hard not to have any fuck-ups that they're heading too far in that direction and making bad decisions of different kinds.

CuriousEyes

So I finally watched Age of Ultron over the weekend. I thought it was... a good "popcorn" movie, but actually found it a bit... stale(?) compared to the first Avengers film. I do have some general questions/comments though! Of course, I'm sure this has all been said already.

Re: The Twins
So I know they had to change the backstories a bit to shed the Mutant label and any reference to Magneto, but I'm trying to remember... were Quicksilver or Scarlet Witch ever referred to by those names at any point during the movie? Their real identities were revealed, of course, but I don't think they ever got hero names. Is this related to the limitations of the licensing deal that took Mutants away from Marvel, or just a creative choice wherein not everyone gets a nickname immediately?

Also re: those two - I do wish the movie had done more to establish the reconciliation they had with Tony Stark. I thought their story about being buried in rubble for three days next to a defective Stark Industries missile was great narrative that explained their initial motivations. But then after Vision it sort of just... disappeared. At least some scene that expressed that there was lingering resentment or unfinished business, you know?

Bruce Banner/The Hulk
I actually had to look this up to confirm - the Edward Norton version of The Incredible Hulk is canon to the MCU (vs. the 2003 version with Eric Bana which is... complicated, as a relationship to the MCU mostly due to Norton's version using some of the continuity from it but not much). Mark Ruffalo is basically an actor recast into that role, and the events/people of that movie do exist in the MCU.

So what the hell happened between Bruce and Betty Ross, who has generally been his presented "love interest" in the movies and the comics? She hasn't even been mentioned since Norton's turn as the character - during which time she was definitely presented as a sincere love interest. Just a little confusing/annoying to me that they seem to have implied that a major relationship has been dissolved entirely off-screen just in the interests of pairing up Black Widow. Speaking of which...

Black Widow
Are we really just going to give Natasha a new fledgling love every movie now? Although I guess given the reveal of Hawkeye's Secret Family in the Heartland (that Widow knew about), that kind of dismantles the romantic interpretations to that relationship.

I'm not necessarily against the character being used to check boxes on romance or whatever. I just wish they'd pick a love interest and stick with him/her/it.

SapphireStar

In the comics, Bruce and Betty had a rocky on/off type of relationship. I think they were married at one point but with the Hulk going out of control and her father, General Ross strained things even further between the two. I believe Betty Ross eventually became a Red Hulk.

Black Widow rarely had a steady love interest in the comics. She was established early on as a seductress, who used Hawkeye to aid her in some of her plans especially against Tony. Even Captain America didn't have a steady love interest. He was married at one point to Sharon Carter then they divorced. Then there was a romance with the former Serpent Society member, Diamondback. They might play up the Vision/Scarlet Witch pairing in Civil War as they were kind of an item in the comics.

Mathim

Quote from: CuriousEyes on June 08, 2015, 09:20:16 AM
So I finally watched Age of Ultron over the weekend. I thought it was... a good "popcorn" movie, but actually found it a bit... stale(?) compared to the first Avengers film. I do have some general questions/comments though! Of course, I'm sure this has all been said already.

Re: The Twins
So I know they had to change the backstories a bit to shed the Mutant label and any reference to Magneto, but I'm trying to remember... were Quicksilver or Scarlet Witch ever referred to by those names at any point during the movie? Their real identities were revealed, of course, but I don't think they ever got hero names. Is this related to the limitations of the licensing deal that took Mutants away from Marvel, or just a creative choice wherein not everyone gets a nickname immediately?

Also re: those two - I do wish the movie had done more to establish the reconciliation they had with Tony Stark. I thought their story about being buried in rubble for three days next to a defective Stark Industries missile was great narrative that explained their initial motivations. But then after Vision it sort of just... disappeared. At least some scene that expressed that there was lingering resentment or unfinished business, you know?

Bruce Banner/The Hulk
I actually had to look this up to confirm - the Edward Norton version of The Incredible Hulk is canon to the MCU (vs. the 2003 version with Eric Bana which is... complicated, as a relationship to the MCU mostly due to Norton's version using some of the continuity from it but not much). Mark Ruffalo is basically an actor recast into that role, and the events/people of that movie do exist in the MCU.

So what the hell happened between Bruce and Betty Ross, who has generally been his presented "love interest" in the movies and the comics? She hasn't even been mentioned since Norton's turn as the character - during which time she was definitely presented as a sincere love interest. Just a little confusing/annoying to me that they seem to have implied that a major relationship has been dissolved entirely off-screen just in the interests of pairing up Black Widow. Speaking of which...

Black Widow
Are we really just going to give Natasha a new fledgling love every movie now? Although I guess given the reveal of Hawkeye's Secret Family in the Heartland (that Widow knew about), that kind of dismantles the romantic interpretations to that relationship.

I'm not necessarily against the character being used to check boxes on romance or whatever. I just wish they'd pick a love interest and stick with him/her/it.

And again, almost all of these issues could have been addressed by splitting this up into two full-length movies. More time for backstory and character development with the twins, more time for backstory behind what the deal is with Bruce's love life and Natasha's flip-flopping on her own issues, etc. Amongst many, many other things that were glossed over and basically left for us to sort of mentally catch up on without assistance. Particularly the emergence and development of the villain.

I do believe that there is some restriction about the actual codenames Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch that only Fox gets to use (since those are their 'mutant' names) but I could be wrong. It's just something I vaguely remember reading quite a while ago. But Fox gets to use both their birth names Wanda and Pietro/Peter Maximoff AND their identities that are tied to their powers.

CuriousEyes

I personally don't think there was enough missing narrative to justify splitting it into a two-part movie - less than five minutes of content/exposition would have done it, and some of it could have been sliced or squeezed in from somewhere else that you're probably not even talking about additional runtime.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
There were at least two scenes with Bruce & Natasha - after the first fight or when they were talking about running away at Hawkeye's farm - where two lines of dialogue to the extent of "the last woman I loved couldn't handle what I am" or "I had to let Betty go, so she could move on" would have resolved that question for instance. Some kind of exchange between Tony and the twins - the tanker, when Tony was activating Vision, etc. could have at least given them a chance to say "we don't forgive you, but we have to focus on this for now."

Mathim

Quote from: CuriousEyes on June 08, 2015, 11:01:09 AM
I personally don't think there was enough missing narrative to justify splitting it into a two-part movie - less than five minutes of content/exposition would have done it, and some of it could have been sliced or squeezed in from somewhere else that you're probably not even talking about additional runtime.

There were at least two scenes with Bruce & Natasha - after the first fight or when they were talking about running away at Hawkeye's farm - where two lines of dialogue to the extent of "the last woman I loved couldn't handle what I am" or "I had to let Betty go, so she could move on" would have resolved that question for instance. Some kind of exchange between Tony and the twins - the tanker, when Tony was activating Vision, etc. could have at least given them a chance to say "we don't forgive you, but we have to focus on this for now."

That wasn't what I was referring to as far as what was missing, at least narrative-wise, but leaving room for character development and a few other things like Thor's little quest and the Vision's evolution. Giving Ultron more time to either develop into the sinister 'there are no string on me' version from the trailer and not be such a Tony Stark clone throughout the entire film (or even to go in the opposite direction, start out mechanical and gradually evolve into a more human personality instead of starting out that way from the beginning.) There was also plenty more room for easter eggs and, as one particular commentator on youtube pointed out, War Machine could have been joined by Falcon in eradicating any escaping Ultron drones at the end. I would have loved to see those two working together and see their team dynamic.

mia h

Looks like Frank Castle is going to make an appearence in Daredevil season 2
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mathim

Quote from: mia h on June 09, 2015, 05:51:43 PM
Looks like Frank Castle is going to make an appearence in Daredevil season 2

Source! Source! Did they make a casting decision yet? I hope he's a good fit!

Edit: Never mind, I found it. So apparently it's Shane from Walking Dead. I don't disagree with that choice, the guy's a TV face (so it'll be a while before he tries to get too big for his britches and get greedy) and he's got a good build for someone like Frank Castle, and he's got a stern face which is vital to the character. I think this will work out. What do the rest of you guys think?