Light D&D Based roleplay to pass the time?

Started by Blythe, March 02, 2013, 03:57:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blythe

I wouldn't mind some light D&D based roleplaying to pass the time. No dice at the moment, of course, just the general race/class sort of thing.

I posted this idea in my introduction, and I thought I might  modify it and put it, and a couple of other things, here. These are just some examples. I'm open to a lot of D&D ideas.

The archmage of Talvari is sent to defend the ancient dwarven hall of Redstone, and despite the elven people's intense rivalry with the dwarves, the archmage swoons for the brusque Kolthbar Hellaxe, a veteran dwarven defender who loathes her even as he finds her unmistakably sexy.  Kolthbar is rugged for a dwarf, standing just under five feet high but impressively muscled, with long black hair and a matching beard plaited and bound with silver. Kolthbar must reconcile his duty with his taboo racial attraction, just as he archmage must. I would play Kolthbar.

A half-orc barbarian named Sekoris is journeying to his ancestral orcish home of Gr'tsh. He saves someone, who becomes either honor-bound or feels emotionally obligated to help Sekoris in his journey. Sekoris, being gruff and irritable, is difficult to get along with, and his brutish nature makes the attraction between himself and the person he's saved very awkward. Sekoris' barbarian rages complicate things further--he can't trust himself not to hurt this person he's come to care for. He isn't a bad person, but his self-control is so low that he is a danger to many. He is tall, about 6'4", with thick brown hair and slender sharp lower tusks. His body is well muscled, and his black eyes carry the regret of a decade of not knowing where he comes from or who he is. I would play Sekoris.

Someone has stolen something of great value from the Silken King (or Queen). This item, a wondrous ring of power, is capable of granting three wishes to this person. But the Silken King (or Queen) is the guildmaster of an influential coven of thieves, so what happens when the person with the ring encounters the Silken King (or Queen)? This guildmaster is pale, with golden hair and a trim and lean form, appealing but icy in demeanor. How will the base thief escape retribution from the Silken Guild? Do they waste a wish? Or is there perhaps a benefit in staying near the beguiling guildmaster and wishing for....something else? Technically, any gender, race, and class could work here. Either person in this idea could be the thief or the guildmaster.

Blythe

I'd like to add a few things here:

I'm not diehard set on D&D. I just had it in mind when I created the thread, and silly me, forgot to mention my many other interests.

I adore the following genres: gothic, horror, psychological thriller, drama, fantasy (medieval), historical (Victorian Era or set in the Roman empire), and sci-fi.

Romance and action aren't truly genres to me. I think any good story has those elements.

A few notes about me:
I roleplay as either gender, but my preferences lean slightly to playing a male.

I enjoy intrigue of all kinds, and mind games are fantastic.

I enjoy bringing symbolism to life--I'm a Neil Gaiman fan, and I also read the more humorous work of Terry Pratchett. (Good Omens was a must-read for me).

I enjoy fandoms, but typically only of book series. I'm really into A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin right now, and I love A Symphony of Ages by Elizabeth Haydon. Anything by Neil Gaiman or Terry Pratchett earns my eternal love. I don't watch too much television, but I do watch a lot of movies and play a lot of videogames, so hit me with an idea. If you think you an explain a setting I'm unfamiliar with, I'm willing to try it out.

Valthazar

Hi Blythe,

You have some interesting ideas listed there.  You also seem to enjoy historical/sci-fi roles, which is a favorite of mine.  I know you said you prefer to play as a male - which I'm completely fine with if you'd like to write a purely action/plot oriented story.  However, if you were leaning towards romance, I'd feel more comfortable if you played a female.  Let me know which you'd prefer.  I figure we aren't planning anything too extensive here, just something to write while we wait, right?

Also, as far as video games you were interested in roleplaying, did you have any in mind?  I'm just trying to get some ideas flowing, see where your preferences lie for this particular story.

Blythe

I certainly wouldn't mind playing a female, although she might be a little forward and aggressive. So let's assume I'd like to play a female for this.

My sci-fi love in videogames right now is Mass Effect, but I have not played the third one yet. I'm not entirely sure I want to. I was fine with the first two. I'm still very new to sci-fi, and I have very much wanted to write for it, so my example has no variety, especially in the videogame department. I played Spore, but what I liked about that was the creature creating and terraforming ideas. I palyed Fallout: New Vegas, which has scientific and apocalyptic elements in it.

As for books, I was in love with Piers Anthony's Adept series, particularly the first volume, Split Infinity, although that series was a curious divide between science fiction and magic. I like Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. I will admit an immature moment in that I still read and love K. A. A. Applegate's Animorphs, Remnants, and a little bit of Everworld. I liked Nightfall by Isaac Asimov as well.

But I'm also open to original concepts as well.

hippyness

Quote from: Blythe on March 02, 2013, 09:16:49 PM
I enjoy fandoms, but typically only of book series. I'm really into A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin right now, and I love A Symphony of Ages by Elizabeth Haydon. Anything by Neil Gaiman or Terry Pratchett earns my eternal love. I don't watch too much television, but I do watch a lot of movies and play a lot of videogames, so hit me with an idea. If you think you an explain a setting I'm unfamiliar with, I'm willing to try it out.

When you get approved, I will be PMing you. Neil Gaiman is, in fact, one of the greatest writers. I like other things in your thread but I felt that I needed to share some Gaiman love there.
Totally me in that avatar. ^_-
I need something exactly seven percent stronger than TEA!
Something I have found helpful from other partners. http://rh.greydawn.net/browse.php?c=hippyness

Blythe

Hippyness, I look forward to a PM if I get approved. Thanks for letting me know.

Valthazar

Quote from: Blythe on March 02, 2013, 09:46:01 PM
I certainly wouldn't mind playing a female, although she might be a little forward and aggressive. So let's assume I'd like to play a female for this.

My sci-fi love in videogames right now is Mass Effect, but I have not played the third one yet. I'm not entirely sure I want to. I was fine with the first two. I'm still very new to sci-fi, and I have very much wanted to write for it, so my example has no variety, especially in the videogame department. I played Spore, but what I liked about that was the creature creating and terraforming ideas. I palyed Fallout: New Vegas, which has scientific and apocalyptic elements in it.

As for books, I was in love with Piers Anthony's Adept series, particularly the first volume, Split Infinity, although that series was a curious divide between science fiction and magic. I like Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. I will admit an immature moment in that I still read and love K. A. A. Applegate's Animorphs, Remnants, and a little bit of Everworld. I liked Nightfall by Isaac Asimov as well.

But I'm also open to original concepts as well.

I'd be interested in doing a sci-fi adaptation of Fallout: NV.  I played that game a while ago though, so the characters' names are a little fuzzy.  Perhaps we can create a unique story with the same environment?  From the looks of it, it seems like you have a general idea in mind.  Perhaps it's more of an action-oriented story of two friends surviving the wasteland?  I think we're better off keeping the plot relatively simple.  What's your take?

Blythe

The idea of two friends surviving the wasteland sounds good to me. To encourage a stronger science fiction element, perhaps New Vegas has access to some extremely advanced technology that wasteland wanderers seek to emulate, buy, or steal. (this seems implied in NV anyway, in regards to the technology that keeps Mr. House, controller of the NV strip, alive).

We could do an interesting modification. The man who shoots the main character in the beginning, Benny, was on a power bid for New Vegas. But...was it really just for himself? He was able to modify the Yes Man Securitron to serve his needs--what other scientific and technological surprises might Benny have been hiding? Was Benny looking to consolidate power for the benefactors that provide him access with technology enough to hack and modify Securitrons.  Bump up the presence of laser weapons, specialized armors, the Nightkin and the Super Mutants, and we have something more sci-fi oriented.

I propose that one of us plays the courier, and instead of using Victor the Securitron to find the courier in the beginning, the other RPer will save the courier and journey alongside him/her. We can stick to parts of the plot canon if we wish, but with this beginning, Benny is likely a villain on par with Caesar's Legion. What do you think? Suggestions? Changes or modifications?  Add in?

Valthazar

That's an interesting idea - it incorporates a reasonable amount of the plot while also giving us the chance to have some creative license.  I'm assuming that the courier at the beginning will be unaware of the dynamics of the various factions (Caesar's Legion, NCR, Benny, etc.)  If one of us is playing the courier, then perhaps it is the other character who rescues that informs the courier of the crazy events happening around New Vegas.  Since it appears that you have a better handle on the details, I'll be the courier.  If that's the case, it will make it a lot easier for me to write since I'm rusty on some of the more minor details, and your character will anyway be informing my character on what is going on.

Obviously the courier is unaware of why he is being sent to NV, but I'm sure if we keep the plot somewhat open-ended, we can play it by ear as we go along.  Perhaps your character serves as more of a guide in the wasteland, since it's clear the courier has no perspective on the power struggles in the wasteland and NV.

Thoughts? 

Blythe

I think that idea works splendidly. If we RP and like this particular setting, plot, and each other's writing styles, (and are both approved as members), we may be able to ask the mods to transfer it to a more adult section as we advance the story, amongst other things. I think my female character could serve as an excellent guide, perhaps as a mercenary, freelancer, or disenchanted member of a former faction.

If you like, I'll create an Out of Character and RP thread and link you to it, so that we can create brief character bios and discuss more of the nitty gritty of plot and concept. If you prefer to make this thread, I don't mind. Also, if you have any appearance preferences for how you like your ladies to look, mention it, and I'll see if I can incorporate some of your likes into the character idea.

Valthazar

That's sounds like a terrific idea - feel free to create an RP thread, and an OOC thread.  I usually let my partner choose their appearance - I mostly write for the storyline anyway. 

But yes, everything looks good to me so far!

Blythe

Here you are:

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=167265.0

It is a combo OOC and RP thread. We'll have to specifically mark OOC posts once we begin RPing.