I Was With You Right Up Until That Last Bit

Started by Pointless Digression, May 27, 2011, 08:01:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pointless Digression

Martee

That's beautiful.  Classic, even.  I've been so well behaved about this whole debacle but I really would love that on a poster.

The pope... oy vey

Thanks!

Status as of March 5th: In like a lion - only one response outstanding

Xandria

Oh, that is simply brilliant!  Thanks for posting!
The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself. -Oscar Wilde

Charm is a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question. - Albert Camus

RubySlippers

I have a big questions if Christians and Muslims are supposed to be so moral than why would they support God doing what is planned in the Book of Revelation to most of the human race?

Noelle

You're forgetting the part where God wants his followers to persuade people convert to (insert religion here, probably Abrahamic) and that those who refuse to do so are willfully spitting in the obvious face of God and deserve punishment for turning to sin instead of righteousness. Not hard, really.

RubySlippers

Why again is that necessary God is to have superior morals being uber-good, I read the OT and NT and Hitler and his worse SS guys had better morals to me. I don't mean to be offensive but God in the OT commanded or did lots of hideous things for no justified reason a modern person would consider rational. Surely God's sense of morals should exceed what happened in the trials of the war criminals from WW II when we knew some things were just WRONG.

Seems to me Christians, Jews and Muslim needs to remove their blinding rose colored glasses but that is just my opinion.

Noelle

If anyone is allowed into heaven/an otherwise peaceful afterlife regardless of whether or not they adhere to what is seen as God's word, it kind of destroys the incentive to believe and be apart of the exclusive club that is religion. I would hardly argue that the Bible is a great place to start if you like consistency and logic, but the OT God was kind of unapologetic about his wrath, and it was often justified in the eyes of believers as it was waged against idolators and the like. Invoking Godwin's Law is a little much if you ask me, and it's not as if there aren't plenty of religious people (including yourself) who aren't trying to make the best of what they've got. Religion on the whole, not just the strict Abrahamic kind, is prone to folly.

Malefique

If you look at the ten commandments, very few of them are actually to do with morality as such, as I recall (not being a big follower of the whole God thing: I'm a pagan, because if you have to have an imaginary friend you might as well have lots of them, and ones that are lots more fun than these monotheist heavies).  The first are more about 'don't you dare even look at another god, you bunch of tarts you'.  1: I am the Lord Your God.  You shall have no other gods before me.  2: You shall not make for yourself an idol (Simon Cowell take note). 3: Do not take the name of the Lord in vain.  4: Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy.  So pretty much the first half is all about the Almighty Me and how he wants to be worshipped, and not a moral code.  Then you get to things which show a bit of decency, though there are points you could dispute on - 5: Honour your father and your mother.  What if they're abusive?  Do you still have to honour them?   6: You shall not kill.  7: You shall not commit adultery.  What if your partner doesn't mind?  Who does it hurt if it doesn't hurt them?  8: You shall not steal.  9:  You shall not bear false witness against your neighbour.  10: You shall not covet your neighbour's wife, ox, ass, house field, slaves of either sex (oh, yes, really).  And does your envying that neighbour hurt him?  Not really.  If you get up and steal his ox, ass, wife, slaves etc, yes it does.  But just wishing they were yours - is that intrinsically evil?  Organised religions have a lot more to do with imposing control on people than with actually moral judgements, I'm afraid, that's why so many of them are happy to countenance mass murder as long as those getting killed are The Others and not Our Gang.  Now excuse me, I have to go burn some chap to death in a big wicker cage.   ;D
Everything is true.  God's an astronaut.  Oz is over the rainbow, and Midian is where the monsters live.

Oniya

But even so, you have to remember that after the Ten Rules on a Rock bit, there was that chap who was nailed to a tree for suggesting that people be nice to each other for a change.   ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Malefique on May 28, 2011, 07:21:16 PM
  Now excuse me, I have to go burn some chap to death in a big wicker cage.   ;D

Will there be BEEEEEEEEEEES involved? :D

Malefique

QuoteBut even so, you have to remember that after the Ten Rules on a Rock bit, there was that chap who was nailed to a tree for suggesting that people be nice to each other for a change.   

Yes, the trouble is that in his name they did a lot of burning and hanging and nailing of folks for saying 'actually, I'm quite happy with the old gods, thanks'.  Not saying that's what he wanted, but it still went back to Our Gang and The Others. 

QuoteWill there be BEEEEEEEEEEES involved?
[/color]

No!  No, a thousand times no!  Though after having watched that excuse for a movie I can't say I'd object if somebody did smother the makers in honey and drop them in a wasp's nest.  Wasps - bees are too nice.  Nope, I'll stick with Christopher Lee in a frock, thanks.  Summer is y-comen in, if it will just stop raining...
Everything is true.  God's an astronaut.  Oz is over the rainbow, and Midian is where the monsters live.

elone

Quote from: Malefique on May 28, 2011, 07:21:16 PM
10: You shall not covet your neighbour's wife, ox, ass, house field, slaves of either sex (oh, yes, really).  And does your envying that neighbour hurt him?  Not really.  If you get up and steal his ox, ass, wife, slaves etc, yes it does.  But just wishing they were yours - is that intrinsically evil?  Organised religions have a lot more to do with imposing control on people than with actually moral judgements, I'm afraid, that's why so many of them are happy to countenance mass murder as long as those getting killed are The Others and not Our Gang.  Now excuse me, I have to go burn some chap to death in a big wicker cage.   ;D

On number 10. That was so the rich would be protected from the poor. They wanted to keep the poor from wanting their stuff and taking it by force. "Oh yeah, let's make that a sin"

Religion has probably been responsible for more man made death and destruction than anything.
In the end, all we have left are memories.

Roleplays: alive, done, dead, etc.
Reversal of Fortune ~ The Hunt ~ Private Party Suites ~ A Learning Experience ~A Chance Encounter ~ A Bark in the Park ~
Poetry
O/O's

Zakharra

Quote from: elone on June 02, 2011, 01:43:54 AM

Religion has probably been responsible for more man made death and destruction than anything.

No. Evil and greedy people using religion has caused more death and destruction than anything. If there was no religion, then they'd use other means.

Sabby

Quote10: You shall not covet your neighbour's wife, ox, ass, house field, slaves of either sex

But... but... its not my fault I find it alluring .___. its just the way God made me...

Brandon

Covet in this context means to obsess over Sabby.

The tenth commandment did not prevent others from trying to make their lives better with women, ox, etc. it only says dont covet someone elses stuff, there was never anything wrong getting your own stuff. Lots of interpretation fail there
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Oniya

Actually, the interpretation 'fail' was ass!donkey vs. ass!buttocks.  And I'm pretty sure it was deliberate.  ;D

*sighs*  My neighbors' asses aren't worthy of coveting.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Sabby

Quote from: Brandon on June 03, 2011, 04:27:32 PM
Covet in this context means to obsess over Sabby.

The tenth commandment did not prevent others from trying to make their lives better with women, ox, etc. it only says dont covet someone elses stuff, there was never anything wrong getting your own stuff. Lots of interpretation fail there

No, I want that ass. I am totally coveting my neighbors in particular.

HairyHeretic

So, you're to blame for those floods a few months back then? ;)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Sabby

God made me with an in built love of mens asses, and then when I start loving mens asses he floods a continent... He is the Ultimate Troll.

Oniya

The more I look at it, the more I want to recaption the 'Don't forget the trumpet' picture with 'Look, I'm a moose'.

[/random]

Brandon

Please stop. I dont go out of my way to make your faiths into the butt end of every joke. I would appreciate the same in return
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Silk

Quote from: Brandon on June 03, 2011, 07:02:43 PM
Please stop. I dont go out of my way to make your faiths into the butt end of every joke. I would appreciate the same in return
But... But religion s easy to make fun of... And generally needs to be taken down a few pegs anyway, sure its mostly appeals to ridicule, but there is much like with the OP poster, that does need to be ridiculed.

Also keep in mind that making fun of religion is a long balls away from what religion attempts to enforce on others on a daily basis. The problem is brandon, the more you go out of your way to take offense to things, the less people will ultimately care for it.(Example Islam and draw Muhammad day) Sorry its come to that but it does just seem to the the repeating trend, I don't mean offense but it is something that I think needs to be pointed out.

Shjade

Quote from: Brandon on June 03, 2011, 07:02:43 PM
I dont go out of my way to make your faiths into the butt end of every joke.
Statler: I don't blame him for that.
Waldorf: Why not?
Statler: I wouldn't want to deal with those religions' butts either!
DOHOHOHOHOHOHO!
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Brandon

I dont go out of my way to find offense to anything, I come across things like this thread I read them and I just do take offense. As much as certain staff members or regular members claim you do not know how my brain, heart, or soul works.

Imagine if your beliefs were constantly being misunderstood or attacked, you go out of your way to try and educate people as best you can and in response you are treated like a complete idiot and your factual evidence is completely ignored. Thats where Im at right now and I hate it. I hate coming here all the time and feeling like there is an idealogical war going on against my beliefs. I hate feeling like each day as a part of the community it is a harder trial with so few moments of joy. I hate feeling like everyone gets their say but mine is largely ignored. I hate going out of my way to show proper respect to everyone elses points of view and beliefs but to recieve none in return. Most of all I hate being at odds with everyone else, people how are supposed to be my online friends and family. My frustration with P&R is not because all of this stuff happens, its because it happens all the time.

Congratulations, you may not get a better look into my current mental state then that

Edit: I forgot to thank everyone for ending that unfunny humor. I know you all dont mean to offend which is why I tried not to be harsh. I do appreciate you stopping after I asked you to

Shjade

Quote from: Brandon on June 03, 2011, 07:47:26 PM
Imagine if your beliefs were constantly being misunderstood or attacked, you go out of your way to try and educate people as best you can and in response you are treated like a complete idiot and your factual evidence is completely ignored.
If you're arguing with factual evidence, you're not arguing about beliefs.

If you're arguing about beliefs, chances are you don't have factual evidence. That's sorta the whole point of "faith." If you had facts, you wouldn't need to have faith - you could just point at your evidence and say, "That."
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.