Smiley faces and Maturity!

Started by Xenphir, May 17, 2014, 02:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beautiful Mystery

Several people have mentioned the fact of where they are "appropriate" and such. I do agree that it is not professional to sign emails with lots of smiley faces. Personally, I use them a fair amount in talking (online really. I can't stand the ones in my text messages haha). But I also think it is how it is done.

If you are replying and after ever sentence it is  :-) :-) :-) :o :-* :-[ :P Then that is a problem.

If you are having a conversation and you throw in a few xD or  :-)  :P, then I don't see a problem with that.

I think they do help with context. "You are such a pain =P" is a light joke. "You are such a pain" sounds like they are really annoyed. It really helps considering there is no sarcasm font (although there really should be). I probably use smilies and "haha" too much. But I guess the same goes for "lol" and such.

Plus, how can you not use one like this?  O8) I mean... it is just too cute hehe xD
Check A/A
The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns.
He comes dressed as everything you have wished for.
O2//A2//Request//Boudoir

Drake Valentine

I only use few in moderation.

xD laughing
^_^ happy
^.< wink
;o Shock
@.@ confused

(\_/)
(='.'=) text bunny destined to take over world.
(")_(")

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

RedPhoenix

I was gonna say something but now I'm just gonna kidnap this text bunny.

(\_/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Mine now! :D
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

Drake Valentine

Teeeext bunny. :( Give it baaaack. Need for World domination.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Oniya

Quote from: Beautiful Mystery on June 04, 2014, 01:23:12 AM
It really helps considering there is no sarcasm font (although there really should be).

There is.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

RedPhoenix

Quote from: Drake Valentine on June 04, 2014, 05:18:37 AM
Teeeext bunny. :( Give it baaaack. Need for World domination.

Oh fine here you go. :(

(\_/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

TyolkaDrake

HA!  A sarcastic font...I kinda like that idea *grins*.  I'm fortunate enough to work in an environment where everyone knows me fairly well and I'm on great terms with my boss (we often call each other dude >.< ) - so I'm able to be laid back enough to use whatever emoticons I feel like using XD - and as I am smiling most of the time, I end up using A LOT.  If it's someone I don't know or am trying to impress in relation to my job (I'm a high school choral director), then I MAY sneak one in, just so people can relate to my personality.  But I find myself far more often using things like *facedesk* or *grins* by habit.

I'm not sure I really have any new ones, so to speak, but I have a tendency to use the shifty eyes a lot >.> or <.< and the mischievous faces >=D and things...though, I'm still not sure I understand this one  >:3.

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

LunarSage

I use smilies as a GM to convey that I'm not trying to be an ass when I make a ruling that I'm afraid a player may take as me being harsh .  I hope it shows that I'm still laid back and friendly despite whatever firm stance that I'm taking in a given game.  I don't see anything inherently "immature" about using them.  Many times, it's difficult to read the tone of a sentence posted online without emoticons. 

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

himawari

happy  (*´∀`*)
sad (´;ω;`)
annoyed  (ー_ー;)

running awayyyy  ε≡≡ヘ( ´Д`)ノ
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
Himawari’s Fields of Ideas

Xenphir

That last one was so cute! XD Where do people find these odd  symbols like the ones you used for the mouths?

Oniya

Character Map is a great resource.  The ω is a lowercase omega, and the Д is a Cyrillic character.  Not sure about the inverted A - probably a physics/math/engineering symbol. 

*checks*  Logical symbol meaning 'for all'.

himawari

Quote from: Xenphir on June 25, 2014, 11:29:25 AM
That last one was so cute! XD Where do people find these odd  symbols like the ones you used for the mouths?

my phone as a japanese emoji keypad settings. :D
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
Himawari’s Fields of Ideas

Orange Marmalade

I am a big smiley proponent. They can help let people know that something is said with a bit of levity.

I even tend to use them in professional settings depending on the topic and can't seem to stop myself, even when emailing VPs at work (one of the world's biggest tech companies)  :-[

But.. whatever, I still like them :)