Avast! GM wanted for One Piece/OP-inspired system game.

Started by TFcommando, December 07, 2017, 01:03:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TFcommando

I've long desired to play in a system game based on or inspired by the incredible pirate anime and manga One Piece.  An over the top shonen action affair with deep passions and deep connections between the crew, thicker than blood even, and the pursuit of their dreams.  A version with airships instead of sailing ships could be appealing too.  Not looking for tight continuity, it's a big world with tons of islands and different paths.  Each PC would have some strong story hooks, a dream they were following and a terrible event in their past (perhaps with an enemy who caused it). 

Mutants and Masterminds 3e is my ideal system, especially around here.  Every combat exchange is done with just one roll on each side and the complications system allows for a lot of drama and dynamic, interesting setbacks.  It could also allow for the "get your dream insulted or challenged and rise to the task ahead of you" one sees with villains.  BESM 3e could work, though it's a bit clunky and harder to balance.  Hero as well, though that's more complicated to run in PbP. 

Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

Drowdeviant

My F-list: https://www.f-list.net/c/wolf%20king%20ii
My A/As: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=223237.0 -My RPs and how many I can do at one time

kingmaster1

kingmaster1

TFcommando

So did I, but I was hoping for a system-based game, which is one reason I started this one. :)
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

kingmaster1

Quote from: TFcommando on December 08, 2017, 04:08:26 PM
So did I, but I was hoping for a system-based game, which is one reason I started this one. :)

Oh, that's fair XD

Well, I've got another character I can use now. That's 4 one piece OCs XD

Kathyan

Quote from: TFcommando on December 08, 2017, 04:08:26 PM
So did I, but I was hoping for a system-based game,
Ditto though I have never played Mutants and Masterminds yet I was very eager to try it. :)

TFcommando

Here's a quick start PDF for a look at the basics.  Combat works via you rolling to hit against the foe's fixed defense score, then the foe rolls to resist damage against your character's fixed damage value.  The better the Toughness roll, the less damage taken.  There are three levels of damage/effect.  For mooks/goons/trash, if you do enough damage for even one level of damage, it takes them to the third level and knocks them out.  Handy for a system where you might fight your way through a few hundred guys!
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

TFcommando

One concept I have is inspired by Dr. Citan from Xenogears.  A Chinese martial arts/traditional doctor (using acupuncture, -pressure and herbal medicines)/scholar.  Tai chi and pressure point attacks as well as swordplay for a fighting style.  We've seen Chinese influences in a variety of places in the One Piece world.  My bit of head canon is that there was a "China" nation just like Wano is "Japan," but it was destroyed  during the 100 year gap and the population and heritage scattered all over.  So the doc is journeying to find all she can and weave the tapestry of her nation back together.  It could be in the forms of scrolls or art, or martial arts techniques that have been passed down through the ages.  Many of them are valuable antiques and collectibles and there might have been a disagreement with the owner of one of the first bits she found, and a few dozen goons left in a heap and then this bounty from the Navy on her head...
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

Norsegod1839

Fancy seeing you again TF! I am going to go ahead and drop my interest in here as well!

TFcommando

Quote from: EroticLiteracy on December 13, 2017, 08:28:00 PM
Fancy seeing you again TF! I am going to go ahead and drop my interest in here as well!

Small site, isn't it? :) 
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

Mathim

Quote from: kingmaster1 on December 08, 2017, 04:10:56 PM
Oh, that's fair XD

Well, I've got another character I can use now. That's 4 one piece OCs XD

I wasn't impressed with the GM of that one which put me off. Good luck making that work out.

So even though that left a bad taste in my mouth, I can't stay mad at One Piece. Count me interested.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

TFcommando

Copying the makeup of the Straw Hat Crew is a logical thing to do... a small party lines up with your classic RPG party.  But it’s not th only model.  Think about Trafalgar Law’s crew... a few distinct, top level people and a two dozen plain crew.  That could work just as well. 

Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in