Shipwreck-interest check

Started by Verasaille, December 14, 2016, 01:11:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Verasaille

Hello all you group seekers. I am thinking of starting a group game with the theme of a Shipwreck. It will be a small group of no more than six players. I want to make it as entertaining as possible.

First of all, setting. Fantasy or historical fiction or alternate universe? Do we want to have some pirates around or maybe some cannibals on adjacent islands? Do we want a supernatural bent to the whole thing, like maybe a tie to the Bermida Triangle?

I think a general theme of survival would be good. Not necessary to have smut in this, it will depend on who signs up and what we can get as a consensus.

The posting rate is also important. I think a steady pace of at least every other day would be great. If you want to have a longer interval than that, we would all have to agree on the posting rate. Making everyone wait for a week when the rest want to post everyday is going to make people antsy and bored.

So, opinions please. Post your interest and a preference on these subjects:

1. Setting; modern day, historical fiction or alternate universe?

2. Survival or horror theme?

3. Once a day poster or more than a week?
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Whowhatwhere

Tag me as interested, if you don't mind rping in two games with me at the same time.

1. pirate era
2. a little of both
3. 1-3 times a week preferred (though I know this might exclude me, its okay)
The O's and the A's --- AFK every weekend

yesiroleplay

I've always liked this idea, and tried it unsuccessfully several times.  I'd like to try.

1) historical 18th century?  or modern
2) mostly survival, with horror elements in moderation
3) every-other-dayish

Gateman

If y'all are still accepting, I'd be happy to throw my hook in the ring. More than happy to play a villain if it's needed, like a cannibal, pirate, or maybe a murderous fanatic.

I like a little anachronism in my RPs, so alternate universe might be better. I'm honestly cool with any of these, though.

I'm more attuned to horror, but maybe a mix of both would be good?

Usually, I'm a several times a week to once a day poster, once I get through the winter blues.

Verasaille

This is good, I will start working on the plot and set up the world and find some pictures to use. Since this is just an interest check for now I am still open to suggestions.

Need a few more questions answered here:

4. Any objection to a character sheet and using some simple dice bot rolls for results of attacks?

5. Shall we allow character death?  Or call a critical injury a knock out and allow for recovery?

6. Do we need defined roles like Fighter, Healer, Mage, Rogue?
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Gateman

4. Nope

5. Sounds good to me to allow character death. I'd say give it a case by case basis, like, ask the user if they're cool with their character dying off. For istance, if I do wind up playing the antagonist, I have no problem with them dying off, since I can just make another one.

6. I think roles might be a good idea to keep things flowing smoothly during character creation, but maybe not make them set in stone.

yesiroleplay

4) no objection
5) what Gateman said
6) I don't think so - let skills and situation define roles

Whowhatwhere

ClosetBadBoy

*poking in head to proclaim interest*

Still taking on players? If yes, please see my answers to questions below... if not... just ignore me. :D

Age of Sail or alternate universe (like the island is actually populated by pre-historic creatures)

More survival than horror

I'm more of the once a week poster... occasionally I manage to do more, but especially over the holidays my rate is going to plummet.

4. Any objection to a character sheet and using some simple dice bot rolls for results of attacks?
None at all. If you need help with mechanics and stuff, feel free to PM me. I kinda like doing that as a hobby. ;)

5. Shall we allow character death?  Or call a critical injury a knock out and allow for recovery?
If it's mutually agreed on or the player drops out of the game. If characters die off, you might want to think of how new ones come to the island.... else you might run out of players before the plot's through. ;)

I tend to go more the WoD way and consider all chars with equal talents, but distributed differently. Roles might just work like professions in Hunter giving extra modifier or access to some kind of extra perk. They should also go with the survival theme - like Scount, Scavenger, Medic, Carpenter...
Judge: "Mister Mouse, so you really want to divorce Minnie because she's being silly?"
Mickey: "She's not silly! She's fucking Goofy!"

Ons & Offs - of sort
Ideas Thread

Revna

If there is room, I would like to join. I love ship wreck rps. I will answer question's when I get home

Depraved Lucidity

Also interested if there's a spot.

Verasaille

Nice to see this much interest! So far this is still a work in progress. As far as I am concerned it is still wide open and we are not accepting characters until we get a basic theme and so forth.

I believe I will set it as a sandbox type survival adventure, set in the Caribbean around the year of 1675 or so. To give you an idea of the era and the flavor of this environment, I hereby offer this tribute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_exakFjs3E4

You will  be the hapless victims of a pirate attack. The ship will set out from England. Once it reaches the area called the Virgin Islands, the pirates attack. I would prefer this to be an island unpopulated by much of anything besides the native animals, iguana and various species of birds. There is food on the island in the form of bananas, pineapple and other fruits. I am taking a good deal of poetic license here and I may or may not have the ruins of a prior settlement on the island for them to find.

I chose the island of Anegada, as it is large enough to have lots of room for the survivors to explore and set up basic survivor shelters. Here is a picture:

The way I see it, you can be any member of the crew of the ship, or passengers.  I will name the ship Intrepid. I will have the Captain and his daughter as my characters.

I ask that you do not portray a pirate, as those will be npcs for now. If you like to create more than one character, PM me and we will discuss it. I would prefer just one or two characters per player.

If you would like to offer suggestions on play or how we will decide any actions, you may post them here. Character submissions will be called for once I set up the OOC thread.

Revna

All sounds good to me, I will be a passenger.

Gateman

Can I be an inhabitant of the island, a lone survivor of a previous shipwreck, driven insane by isolation and trauma, and only his devotion to a pagan god is keeping him alive? I like playing villains that can terrify the survivors

Logoff

I am interested in this RP. Looks like there is already 6 people, but if for some reason I can squeeze in that would be great. :D I am liking where this RP is heading. I can play as one of the crew or any role you guys need.

Verasaille

Anyone who is interested will need to set up a character sheet. There will be rules and conditions set forth. A simple format for a sheet will be as follows:

Name:
Gender and Age:
National Origin (British is fine or if you want to say Scottish or Irish or Welsh or even German or Scandinavian. No Spanish, as Britain is at war with Spain at the moment, and no French, as they are perennial enemies of Britain):
Personality:
Skills and abilities (include any weapons you are proficient with):
Description(can use a picture, real model pics are preferrable to Anime or cartoon) please list your clothing or armor as well:
Basic background and give a reason you are taking the ship to the Caribbean. Colonist is fine, list your vocation and what kind of business you might be in. (Carpentry, farming, crafting clothing or armor, smith, etc.) If you are one of the crew, you can be a sailor or a cook, or a Marine. Officers will be my npcs.

I reserve the right to hand pick this party. I want to give everyone a chance to show off with good writing skills and attention to grammar and spelling. No one liners or lazy posts of a few sparse paragraphs. Take your time to make good long and interesting posts. You will be expected to post in a timely manner. At least a couple times a week. If you cannot fill these expectations, don't waste everyone's time.

Build a fully fleshed out character. Do some research on the time period and the Colonies in the Caribbean. Use pictures if you like. When I have finished setting up my IC and OOC threads I will open it up for character sheets.

Nim

I am interested if there is still room for another player.

I love the ideas that you already have set forth.

Survival for sure and a little horror never hurt anyone. 

2-3 times a week

None here

If the story calls for it and all parties involved are in agreement. 

Wouldn't hurt but not really necessary. 

Name: Esmerelda
Gender and Age: Female, 21
National Origin:  Irish
Personality: Outgoing and friendly for the most part.  Unless given good reason not to be. 
Skills and abilities:  Good cook, seamstress  and has become good at using a short sword from practicing with her brothers. 
Description:  Still looking for the right picture. 
Basic background:  By day Esmerelda works with her mother both mending clothing along with making original clothing.  By night she has taken a job as a tavern wench in a local bar.  Not because she really likes it but because she hates her father and is always looking for new ways to spite him.  One evening upon returning home with her mother from a long day at work her father announces that he has arranged a marriage for her.  Later that night after gathering a few clothes, sewing equipment a dagger and one of her brothers old short swords Esmerelda runs away to avoid the wedding that her father has arranged.  Using the cover of darkness and a good portion of stealth learned from playing games with her brothers the young woman sneaks aboard the ship and manages to find a good hiding place deep within one of the ships many storage compartments.

and give a reason you are taking the ship to the Caribbean. Colonist is fine, list your vocation and what kind of business you might be in. (Carpentry, farming, crafting clothing or armor, smith, etc.) If you are one of the crew, you can be a sailor or a cook, or a Marine. Officers will be my npcs.

yesiroleplay

Name: Nancy Johnson née Eccles
Gender and Age: Female 19 years.
National Origin: British
Personality: Nancy is a lovely young woman with a quick mind and a quiet demeanor, at least when she's under her husbands shadow.  Quick flashes of curiosity over almost anything new, and sparks of a rebellious spirit fill her eyes when Mortimer is otherwise occupied.  She seems naturally quite open and charming, and can become suddenly outspoken even in the presence of her husband, though she is always particularly withdrawn in the days following such outbursts.

Skills and abilities: She is able to speak Greek and Latin as well as play the lute, sing, dance.  She is well educated and quite sharp in debate when her husband allows her to speak.  She is an excellent cook and a passable seamstress.  She is very organized and adept at household and household account management, including managing a small staff of servants.  Always adept at braiding and coiffure, she became fascinated by sailor knots and rope skills during the voyage.  She duplicated many of the knots and hitches with a bit of lanyard she carried during her on-deck constitutionals, tying, untying, and manipulating many of the knots, using a knitting needle as a marlinespike to loosen the tighter bindings.

Description:  Nancy is a pretty dishwater blonde with pale grey-green eyes and a slender figure.  Previously, she often displayed a bright smile, though that smile has been seen less often as of late, perhaps due to the inherent boredom and confinement of shipboard life.  She wears serviceable grey, blue, or green travel gowns outside her cabin during her daily morning and evening constitutionals, and her hair is almost always up-styled or braided.  On the rare occasion when she does wear it down, it displays either a natural curl, or a heavy curl trained into it from the braids.

Background:  Nancy grew up in a large, deeply religious family of wealthy, but non-noble lineage.  Her father was a Congregationalist Lecturer, though he - and all other non-Anglican ministers - was forbidden to preach within 5 miles of incorporated towns and his influence had waned without an audience for his charismatic and fiery sermons.  Outwardly, the family professed Anglican loyalty, and her father and brothers made a good profit selling vestments and appointments to the rebuilding Church of England.

Mortimer Johnson was an Anglican Missionary over a dozen years her senior.  The recent widower was dashing, urbane, handsome, accomplished, experienced, and widely traveled.  Newly returned from nearly a decade ministering in heathen China and East Asia, he had returned to England to teach seminary for a year while shopping for a new English wife.  His attention fell upon Nancy, and after only a few months courtship and negotiation with her father, the two were married.    Though the marriage wasn't precisely arrainged, nor totally over her objections, she was in fact barely consulted about the matter. Still, his first-hand tales of exotic places and foreign lands intrigued her insatiable curiosity, and she found the older man quite charming.

They set sail on the Intrepid barely a week after their marriage, bound for an Anglican mission in Grenada where Mortimer was appointed to minister and convert the mostly French Catholic population of the newly acquired islands, captured during the recent Seven Years' War.  Though his primary objective was to train a trio of younger men to continue the work once he moved on, as this was to be a temporary post, to allow the newlywed bride to acclimate to expatriate life in a somewhat less exotic environment than the Far East.  Mortimer was open about his goal of soon returning to China.

Like most newlywed couples, the pair spent most of the journey alone in their cabin, though she made a habit of taking both a morning and and evening constitutional, circling the deck several times before retiring.  Her husband usually, but not invariably, accompanied her on these strolls.

Revna

Name: Staci Stroud
Gender and Age: Female; 24
National Origin: Welsh

Personality: Staci is fiery, temperamental, proud, slightly egotistic, stubborn, flirtatious, and speaks her mind.
Staci is skilled in archery, hunting, and savaging.
Description: Staci stands at 5'3'', with a somewhat thin body, but, slightly thick legs, rounded hips, and 34 C breasts. She also has a somewhat small nose and plump lips. Pictures are available.
Basic background: Staci was looking for a new place to live. Staci was getting tired of being cold all the time, as well as, not being able to hunt as often. Staci prefers to live "off the grid" and on her own. However, she does believe in community, just a community that isn't so into business, making money, and making money the center of life.

Whowhatwhere

Name: Adam Ford

Gender and Age: Male, 32

National Origin: English

Personality: Adam is a calm spirit, who puts much of his love and attention into his work. He knows how to hold a good conversation, but it is usually out of kindness and politeness than a true connection. He seems to guard his inner feelings very carefully, but his outer congeniality is enough for most people. Even in times of stress and anger, his mind focuses on the tasks at hand that must be done. Sometimes this happens in lieu of "useless" anger directed toward a person or thing.

Skills and abilities: Woodsmith: Swings a mean axe, carpentry, artistry, tool use and care. Knows metalsmithing basics: blacksmith, whitesmith, tinsmith. Knows boat-making and carriage-making basics.

Description: (Face Claim: Joseph Fiennes) Adam has brought with him a small case of carpentry samples, flyers of his name and lauding his work, with extra paper and pencils. He dresses in understated but sturdy clothes, wanting to convey to his potential clients an air of both success and ruggedness.

Background: Adam was born poor, but was readily admitted into an apprenticeship as soon as he was able. He has known hard and exacting work in his time, but has learned of the respect a craftsman gives him. He would send home money to his family, only to have it disappear and have them beg for more. A man of sometimes naive honor, he would send it to them. He has been so buried in his work, that he had not taken on a wife, though many had tried to seduce him. If only something were to take away his toys and leave him bored and lonely, he might yet be vexed by love. Speaking of which, Adam has boarded a ship for transport, to take him to the next location that might have need of his talents.

Verasaille

This is still very much in planning stages. Not going to get much done until after Christmas. So you all know.

If you are going to work on character sheets, make sure you are thorough and answer all the points. I will not accept them until I can post the OOC start of the game. You have a couple weeks to work on it.

Vlexia

Question!

I love the concept  (may be too late for me to jump in but here goes) but I have an idea.

England was beginning to be a part of the slave trade with their growing empire. Could we do an aspect of the indentured servants/foreign slaves?
Maybe they were being brought to the Caribbean to be sold,  or to be worked on plantations, the pirate attack was actually a stroke of good fortune for them and once shipwrecked the slaves tried to form their own area of freedom.

Since the island is otherwise uninhabited, it COULD (if accepted) provide that aspect of fighting another group of people who were initially to be the rich European master's slaves. Maybe a Romeo and Juliet based story if a romance were to happen in secret between 2 people of each group and would definitely enable some character deaths with lesser developed characters.

The idea popped in my head when reading. I could do a main female character and then a few minor males and females that could be used or killed when needed.

If you cannot honor a No, then you certainly could never honor a Yes.

Verasaille

Slavery was indeed a large part of the Caribbean plantations huge success. However most of those were African slaves. Those who were indentured and who were not African would be so mostly voluntarily. That is they needed to settle a debt or some circumstance. They were honor bound to remain slaves of the masters who bought them passage and transported them to the New World.

If you wish to start a romance with someone under these circumstances, you would have to set it up between you and another writer. As it is, I did have some ideas to have some of the escaped slaves (African) be part of the dangers of the island. That depends on how well such an idea is accepted by the group. The escaped slaves can in fact be friendly under certain circumstances, or very deadly.

yesiroleplay

The ship is sailing directly from England right? What port is is sailing from, and what is the intended destination?

I suggest London to Port Royal, Jamaica.
Port Royal has a reputation as a free port and a privateer/pirate haven, but by 1675 it is the biggest and most important port in the Caribbean and the British have controlled it for the last 20 years (since the 1655 invasion of Jamaica).

Verasaille

Yes, it will be from London to Port Royal, though they will never reach their destination.