Old Laptop with XP installed but no recovery disk

Started by Josietta, November 09, 2012, 04:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josietta

I think my cousin may have a virus from watching "bootlegged" movies from disks on the computer. Now it won't even load windows. It pops up with:

"Windows xp could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

I'm not a computer guru at all. I can do simple system restores with the recovery disk and thats about it. I amgood at following direction however.   Anyone have any clue how i can repair this without having to pay for a disk? I've tried running a diagnostic but it says there is no diagnostic utility partition and that you have to insert the "Dell Drivers and Utilities" CD, which I'm sure they don't have any longer. >.<

Any hope to fix this? Or are they S.O.L without a disk?

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Autumn Sativus

On the Bottom of your laptop there should be a sticker with your 'Microsoft Product Key' for Windows. It should say 'Proof of License' on the sticker, the key you want is a combination of numbers and letters separated out by dashes. You can download a copy of windows and put it on a jump drive (or burn it to a disc), then re-install windows from said jump drive/disc, using your legitimate product key to validate.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~