Freeform Exalted

Started by HairyHeretic, August 17, 2007, 09:20:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

Just curious if anyone might be interested in a freeform Exalted game .. could be done either as a 1 on 1, or a small circle / group, depending on interest. The idea would be to keep the over the top feel of Exalted, without worrying about dice and essence usage (except for dramatic story effects, of course).

I've a mind to dust off my charming scoundrel Raven, and see what new trouble I can get him into.

Anyone interested?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Muse

I'd be more intrested in Exalted with the system, but if it was a chance to play Chocolate, I'd jump on it. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

HairyHeretic

Looks like it might just be the two of us then.

I've played a few system games of Exalted, 1st and 2nd ed both, so I thought it might be interesting to try freeform and see how that went.

Do you want to start of with the two knowing each other, or shall we have a meeting under desperate circumstances? :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Chameleon

Well, if your looking for another Player I might could jump on this,  unless your only looking for Solars.

HairyHeretic

What do you have in mind? Accomidating non solars would be easier with freeform than a system game.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Chameleon

Lunar more then likely,  an Alchemical might be fun also...  but that might be a bit harder too work into a plot.

HairyHeretic

Lunar is quite doable. I'd be a bit iffy about an Alchemical, since they're pretty much limited to a single time and place in Creation.

You thinking any relationship with the other characters? Reincarnated mate from the 1st Age or what have you?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Chameleon

I wouldn't mind acting as the reincarnated mate of another PC,  might be fun.

HairyHeretic

Well, you've got male and female to choose from, in terms of a mate. Of course, with lunars, male and female are pretty much a matter of choice with the right charms too  ;D

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Chameleon

Exactly,  well,  I could play either sex,  so,  either way I'm good,  so if you two would like to talk it out,  I'd agree with your descion.

HairyHeretic

I can also see a ranma 1/2 thing going on here  :D

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Chameleon

That actually sounds like the best answer.

HairyHeretic

Dunno about best, but certainly the most interesting  :D

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Chameleon

True enough,  I know it'll keep me amused.

Muse

Quote from: Muse on December 29, 2006, 01:24:24 AM
If you'd asked eight year old Morning Glory what she wished to do when she grew up, she'd eagerly tell you her plan to become a Bride of Ahlat, make her fortunes in war, seduce the god himself, then greacfuly accept his divorce at 27 to marry into a rich household so she could spoil her children outragously. 

A flirtatious tomboy even then, she loved scrambling around on the rooftops of Kirghast with her brothers. 

A few months later, though, the bi-monthly guild caravan rolled through, with all their spectacles and wonders from across the world, bearing a new product.  When the guildsman offered her family a free sample of his new pipe fragrance, somethign called opium, a quite voice in her head, one she'd never heard before, held her back from trying it. 

She watched over the next three years as her mother died of overdose, her sister sold herself to a brothel and her brothers into sweat shops to pay for their next fix. 

Left alone in the world, with an aching drive for personal vengence, yet also to protect others from this criminal drug, she spent five years training in gymnastics, knife fighting and throwing from a retired Bride of Ahlat. 

Now sixteen, she ran away to join a guild caravan circus, introducing herself as Chocolate.  For two years, she secured her place as a trustworthy member of the guild, giving her all to becoming a star jongluer, actress, and courtesean, and reveling in it. 

But on the night of her eighteenth birthday, Chocolate began her covert missions.  Stealing clothes or just stripping nude, she set about a campaing of sabotaging the drug trade by breaking into the homes of supliers, destroying their stock, and robbing them blind. 

The harder she struggled to complete her mission, the closer she felt to that voice that whipsered in her heart all those years ago not to touch the opium, 'til one day it spoke again.  "You are my beloved chosen, Chocolate, here is the power you yearn for.  How will you change the world?" 

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

HairyHeretic

QuoteRaven - Night Caste Solar

History:
Raven is from Lookshy, having served in the 7th Legion and worked himself up through the ranks and into the elite Ashigaru troops, serving in one of the recon units in the First Field Force. His service in the recon units meant many long weeks away from Lookshy. Raven claimed this was because the glamour of the service added to his appeal with the ladies. Less charitable people would have said it was due to both his behaviour and attitude while in Lookshy that he spent so much time out of it.

Whilst on a long range patrol, his unit was ambushed by Realm troops. Outnumbered and heavily outmatched, they could only attempt to evade their attackers, each skirmish wearing them further down. Raven was acting as a rearguard, covering the rest of the unit, when they ran into another force of Realm troops ahead. Too far back to do any good, Raven could only watch as his comrades were cut down by the Realm soldiers.

At that moment his Exaltation came upon him, and he filled the sky with arrow after arrow, each one lancing into the Realm soldiers, as if seeking out every last unprotected body part. Memories of his previous life intertwined with his current one, and when the visions faded, he stood alone on the battlefield, surrounded only by the dead, his aura burning the sky around him.

Still wracked by the memories and fading visions he fled, heading as far from Lookshy as he could, still thinking to draw any Realm pursuit away from his city.

Without knowing really why he has been drawn to Nexus, and spent the last few months searching the nearby wilds for other First Age artefacts.

Appearance:
Raven stands just slightly under 6 feet, with a lithe build. His hair is black, reaching down to just past his shoulders, held out of his eyes by a leather headband. He wears a goatee beard and moustache, neatly trimmed (usually). His looks are best described as "roguish", and are only emphasised by his raw charisma.

He is normally found wearing a pair of tight trousers, black knee length boots, and a loose shirt. Depending on the weather, this may be joined by a short jacket or cloak.

At his waist is normally belted a sword, not magical, but of good quality.

Character:
A cocky, fast-talking rogue with an infectious devil-may-care attitude, a wicked sense of humour, and an eye for the ladies par excellence. His mouth may often get him into trouble, but his fists (or feet) will usually get him back out of it.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Chameleon

Resplendent Frenzy of the Winter Cold -  Full Moon Lunar

History

Born as Kain of the Broken Mountain Tribe,  Frenzy's life was hard,  almost beyond words. He was forced to struggle against his own siblings to earn a meal,  he was forced to adjust to the freezing temperatures of the mountain,  and as the only son of Master Hunter of the tribe,  he was thrust into the world of wild beasts.  When he became old enough to take up his father's weapon's he was sent out for one final test,  too bring back the pelt of the true master of the Uttercold.  Which was a rare breed of tiger that stalked the mountain passes,  it preyed on many of the same beasts as his tribe,  but in truth,  the flesh of man was what the creature truly desired.

The hunt was long...  hard,  and when he came upon the beast,  the two circled each other,  both ready too strike.  As the beast suddenly charged,  Kain readied his spear,  a voice within his head whispered very softly,  sounding more like the growl of a beast.  "Take your destiny in hand..."  With speed and strength that he never possessed before,  the warrior's spear hit home killing his opponent with but a single strike.  Unable to help himself,  he cupped the cooling blood within his hands and drank deeply from it.  He didn't notice that black stripe pattern that covered his body.  When he returned home though,  he came upon a sight that made his blood boil...  A large contigent of bandits was pillaging the town,  and without even thinking Kain threw himself into the skirmish,  as he charged his body reshaped into the image of a rather large humanoid white furred tiger,  within minutes,  the dervish like frenzy of Kain decimated his opponents,  but most of his friends, and family had been killed in the raid.  Unable to stay,  his heart broken to piece he fled the mountain.

His claws and teeth were put to one purpose,  anytime he came upon an innocent in jeopardy,  threatened by the hands of ignorant or evil men.  He jumped into the fray fighting with such rage,  his mind still burning with the images of his own brutalized village.  With each victory the Legend of Resplendent Frenzy of the Winter Cold grew. 

HairyHeretic

So what section should we kick this off in?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Chameleon

I personally don't mind,  and I'm not exactly an expert when it comes to exalted.

ZK

As with Muse, I could help with the basis section of Exalted both first and second. [aside from a few sourcebooks missing from first, I own all of 2nd edition] when it comes to background and such. Seeing as I rarely have time to play now [hopefully that will change in the near future].
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

HairyHeretic

You're more than welcome to join us here, if you like.

I've a complete set of 1st and 2nd ed books, plus have both GMed and played, Solars and Abyssals, so I should be able to answer any questions you might have.

Any of you got firm ideas for kicking things off? I find Nexus makes a good starting spot ... a nicely wretched hive of scum and villany :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

ZK

I don't have a few of the last books of first, as second was coming out not to long after that, but anywho. What sort of campaign is this?
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

HairyHeretic

We're still discussing that :) If you've read the thread, you know as much as the rest of us.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Muse

As to sections, I'm perfectly happy with NC exotic, though I prefer that the exotic NC encounters be carefuly woven into the plot.  Say, in Chocolate's case, with the Merchant Princes's pet monster. 

Chameleon

Well,  I'm good with starting in Nexus...  and an NC setting wouldn't bother me any.