What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: HannibalBarca on February 16, 2016, 07:31:13 PM
It is amazing to realize that Hitler did not use chemical weapons on the battlefield during World War 2 because he personally experienced them as a soldier.  This didn't stop him from using Zyklon-B on civilians, but it is sobering to think there were things a genocidal monster wouldn't do because he thought them too horrific.
What should be taken into account is that Hitler's personal experience with chemical weapons came from a time when delivery methods were primitive, at best. I am not sure how many accidents happened, but I guess it must have been quite a few. He might not have been worried about what chemical agents would do to the enemy, but rather to his own troops. After all, during WWI deploying chemical weapons often consisted of four easy steps:
1 - Wait for the wind to blow in the enemy's direction,
2 - open the canisters,
3 - run like hell, and
4 - pray very hard that the wind doesn't change.
That's the kind of personal experience that should have anyone worried about using the stuff.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

TheGlyphstone

So it's a little old now, but I just found this somewhat amusing article:

Russian Prison Warden arrested for literal highway robbery.

consortium11

Quote from: Beorning on February 18, 2016, 02:59:39 PM
Pope Francis calls out Donald Trump on his opinions:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/19/world/americas/pope-francis-donald-trump-christian.html

While I certainly can see where the Pope is coming from (and there is a strong point to be made about how many politicians who like to emphasize their Christian values proceed to have policies that violate at least the spirit of them) it's a bit odd to watch the Pope make this argument. After all Vatican City, an extremely wealthy (while the figures are somewhat difficult to determine on paper it appears to have the highest GDP per capita in the world) independent state where the Pope has near absolute control, is surrounded by a rather large wall and has one of the strictest immigration policies in the world.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: consortium11 on February 18, 2016, 11:19:34 PM
While I certainly can see where the Pope is coming from (and there is a strong point to be made about how many politicians who like to emphasize their Christian values proceed to have policies that violate at least the spirit of them) it's a bit odd to watch the Pope make this argument. After all Vatican City, an extremely wealthy (while the figures are somewhat difficult to determine on paper it appears to have the highest GDP per capita in the world) independent state where the Pope has near absolute control, is surrounded by a rather large wall and has one of the strictest immigration policies in the world.

Not really, this pope has really been the most humble one in many years, going out of his way to change things, washing the feet of the poor. Not saying hes a saint but so far hes impressed me more than any modern politician. :P

Kythia

The foot washing is a traditional part of the ceremony, I'd be surprised if there was a modern pope who didn't do that. Benedict certainly did, I don't recall for John Paul but as I say, amazing if he didn't.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Kythia on February 19, 2016, 09:07:21 AM
The foot washing is a traditional part of the ceremony, I'd be surprised if there was a modern pope who didn't do that. Benedict certainly did, I don't recall for John Paul but as I say, amazing if he didn't.

Be that as it may, still better than trump *Hops on the bandwagon* (Am I popular yet? :P)

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Kythia on February 19, 2016, 09:07:21 AM
The ceremony itself has been around for a while, but Francis changed it to include women and girls in a ceremony that was traditionally reserved for men and boys. http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/2016/01/21/pope-francis-opens-holy-thursday-foot-washing-rite-to-women/

I guess both you and Lustful Bride have a point there.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Beorning

Some new documents regarding Lech Wałęsa has surfaced:

http://www.thenews.pl/1/9/Artykul/241278,Polish-institute-claims-alleged-Walesa-informant-files-genuine

Of course, Wałęsa's political opponents - Kaczyński, PiS and other right-wing people - are now jumping at the chance to smear Wałęsa again. Our current Minister of Foreign Affairs has already claimed that Wałęsa could've been a "puppet" in his post-1989 career...

God, this makes me feels sick.  >:(

Speaking of sick things: this week's cover of one of ours weeklies (one that is very right-wing and very pro-PiS):

http://www.thenews.pl/1/9/Artykul/241457,Polish-weeklys-Rape-of-Europe-cover-sparks-backlash

I'd say it's shocking, but... it's the same weekly that, a few months ago, had commented on the refugee / immigrants crisis with a cover of Arab men wielding machine guns and a slogan "They are coming". Then, they followed it next week with a photo of our then-Prime Minister wearing a burkha and a suicide bomber's belt - and a slogan of "She'll bring hell to Poland on the orders from Berlin"  >:(

And speaking of Polish right-wing weeklies, another of them has a cover this week that shows Jarosław Kaczyński in a superhero's costume hitting the EU logo and a title of "The fear of Poland: Western Europe's lefties shudder because of our conservative revolution"...  :o

Lustful Bride

..holy shit.....a four year old was just sentenced to life in prison in Egypt on a count of murder committed by someone else but a clerical error had him on trial.....I..ow my head hurts..

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/four-year-old-sentenced-to-life-in-prison-for-murder-in-egypt/ar-BBpHocV?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp

gaggedLouise

"It was supposed to have been a British 'working breakfast', then it became a lunch, and now it's a dinner."

-quote from the BBC about the summit of David Cameron and leaders and diplomats from the other 27 EU countries, on two big, knotty issues: 1) the migrant crisis and 2) Cameron's bid for a "new deal" on Britain's obligations as a member of the EU (he wants less of them, less red tape, and more self-determination on matters of national interest). Dinner last night is reported to have lasted for six hours.  :P

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

gaggedLouise

In one of the nuttiest acts of political juvenilia for a long time, the Stockholm district of the youth league of the Liberal party here in Sweden have put it on their "what we are working for" list to decriminalize incest and a form of "consensual" necrophilia.  ::)  :o Quote, "We don't necessarily like incest, but these acts do not really harm anyone". ??

The only English speaking newspaper that's written about this so far is the Daily Mail, and I'm not linking to them, but there were several articles in Swedish papers today. And the program was actually discussed and voted on at their annual plenary meeting. How stupid can you get?

As for the necro thing, the idea they're pitching seems to be that someone should be able to "set aside" specified parts of their body for sexual use by an heir (family or not) after one has deceased.  ??? No further comments.

The top people of their party must be delighted.

Oniya

Quote from: gaggedLouise on February 22, 2016, 05:22:02 PM
As for the necro thing, the idea they're pitching seems to be that someone should be able to "set aside" specified parts of their body for sexual use by an heir (family or not) after one has deceased.  ??? No further comments.

But the silicone mold kits are so much more hygienic!  And if you plan ahead, you can make the cast before things - shrink.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lustful Bride

Sooo....some Radioactive material that was lost in Iraq was found abandoned at a gas station......yeahhhh forgive me if I don't breathe a sigh of relief too soon.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/radioactive-material-lost-in-iraq-is-found/ar-BBpPj38?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Oniya on February 22, 2016, 05:45:46 PM
But the silicone mold kits are so much more hygienic!  And if you plan ahead, you can make the cast before things - shrink.

Yep, I thought so too. Unless they're picturing a body part getting embalmed before use...? (there's a "museum of sex" in St.Petersburg that makes the dubious claim of having Rasputin's member as an exhibit, preserved in formaline; a kinda overly large member...)  :P

The idea of turning part of the body of a loved one into a dildo is fairly creepy.  ::)

Oniya

Quote from: gaggedLouise on February 22, 2016, 11:20:57 PM

Yep, I thought so too. Unless they're picturing a body part getting embalmed before use...? (there's a "museum of sex" in St.Petersburg that makes the dubious claim of having Rasputin's member as an exhibit, preserved in formaline; a kinda overly large member...)  :P

The idea of turning part of the body of a loved one into a dildo is fairly creepy.  ::)

Oh, I agree that it's at least 'odd'.  I'd probably consider it at least a little egotistical on the part of the giver if I was presented with one.  I was just pointing out that it can be done without resorting to - erm - desecration of a corpse, and when the part in question is in prime condition.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Kythia

Sure you can do it before you die. But I personally feel that a replica of my vagina is a basic human right and I always worried that I wouldn't be able to give one to everyone on earth before I headed off to the great silicone factory in the sky.  Leaving many many deserving people without their present. This development really has taken a load off my mind, knowing my work can continue once I'm gone

I welcome this new technology.

Oniya

Meh - once you've got the casting, no need for the dead bits.

Kythia

Castings break after time though. Then a new one needs making.

TheGlyphstone

Why only get your loved one's naughty bits preserved? Go for the full-body preservation and stuffing treatment - not only can you continue to enjoy their company at night, they're still fit to keep you company at the dinner table and have flatteringly one-sided conversations with in the parlor.

Post-mortem taxidermy - because "till death do us part" is so last century.

Evil Tim

This just happened in my home state of North Carolina.  Apologies if I have somehow posted this in the wrong spot and feel free to move it in that case.

http://www.wcnc.com/story/news/politics/2016/02/22/city-council-votes-controversial-bathroom-bill/80783880/

My personal opinion is I have no problem with a gender ambiguous bathroom.  They're mainly crying "This is giving rapists and pedophiles permission to go into the restroom and attack innocent women!"  They realize those are still felony offenses, right?  It's not like an attacker is gonna get off scotfree if he cries the law allows him to be there.  Also women being attacked by men in the restroom is not a new occurrence, it was happening way before the debate of gender ambiguous bathrooms came up.

I sincerely apologize to anyone that reads this and is offended by my attitude toward the subject, it's just like they act like these events have never happened before now.

Far eyes

Eh i am not sure how i feel about this, i can see both sides of the argument not because the classic fear mongering but because some peaple might just feel uncomfortable in a shared bathroom. But in the end i have seen unisex bathrooms work just fine mostly the same applies as to any other one and its not really special in any particular way.

What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

What he means: "I like lesbians".
A/A
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180557.0

Avis habilis

Quote from: Far eyes on February 23, 2016, 07:14:02 AM
But in the end i have seen unisex bathrooms work just fine ...   

Like, for instance, the ones in every single private home everywhere in the world.

Jag

“There are countless deviant men who will pretend to be transgender..."

I'm sorry, but that's not a good excuse. Law or not, there is nothing stopping those alleged men from dressing up as a woman and going in those places right now.

I don't even acknowledge the existence of the other people in the bathroom. Trans individuals don't go in there to hang out. They go in, get in a stall, do their business, and hopefully wash their hands before leaving. They aren't in there to strike up conversations. If you see someone just standing in there, staring, checking all the stalls, looking under doors, or doing anything like that, regardless of gender, it should be looked at as suspicious.

As Ramsey said, these crimes will still be crimes. They will happen no matter what the law is. They will be just as illegal. If anything violence against trans women forced into male bathrooms will go down.

How would you keep someone out of a bathroom anyway? Posted guards doing genitalia checks? IDs can be faked, so it's not like they can go with what is on your photo ID.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Far eyes

Quote from: Avis habilis on February 23, 2016, 07:29:30 AM
Like, for instance, the ones in every single private home everywhere in the world.

Lets not pretend that your private bathroom is the same as a public one. If it is you either have a very dirty bathroom in your home, or live in an exceptional place in the world.  ;D
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

What he means: "I like lesbians".
A/A
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180557.0