SMF 2 Upgrade notes

Started by Vekseid, March 21, 2008, 06:06:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

It will probably be some time before the release candidate comes out, but some things to keep in mind:

1: It will probably break the Arcade, requiring and update to a new version. You may or may not get to keep your old scores. A lot of games are just going to get deleted, with future games being added on request, instead.  See  here for a list of games members currently want to keep. If something isn't there that you want, post or forever hold your peace.

2: With the addition of voluntary membergroups, I'm going to be moving the Non-Con and Bondage sections into respective groups. This means that in order to see these forums (where a lot of you play), you will need to make a few clicks to see these groups. IE don't panic.

3: Ons and Offs will be deleted. With the addition of custom user profiles, and something else I've been wanting to implement for awhile, they won't serve any further purpose. Each player's profile will include this stuff, as well as space to provide links to their games and such.

I have some new features planned, since the Beta is out now I can get to working on them more.

1: Integrated die-rolling. This will work a bit like a cross between the way it currently works, and the way it originally didn't. When you make a post that includes a dieroll, you would simply enter it in an OpenRPG-like format, like so:
[1d20+4]

And it will output a link with the text
<1d20+4> -> 17+4 = 21

Or something to that effect, linking to the actual roll data so that GMs can verify the roll.  The actual parser code for this has already been finished.

2: 'Matchmaking'. Basically, it would work a bit like the 'rabbit hole', except people who filled out their profile could set it as private (visible to approved members only), and see who their best matches on Elliquiy are. What I'd need for this is basically a list of properties that people could set.

3: Character profiles. People posting in game forums would be able to do so under another character name.  Finally.  Character profiles would have public and private data, I may start with just a simple text sheet but it could be nifty to include something where people could roll from their sheets.

Those are my main goals for what people will see with the SMF 2.0 upgrade, when it finally comes.

MagicalPen

Sounds like a great list of improvements, Vek.

My question about the 'characters' in threads (like RPOL) - will it be possible to have a different Avatar for each character? And will there be something that denotes whose character it is?

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Greenthorn

I like the matchmaking system, so much easier than going through the ONs and OFFs based on interesting names (yep I've done it lol).  Putting the ons n offs on the profiles also rocks (Assuming every ill do it..so many here don't have an ON n OFF thread!)

Trieste

... but ... you will warn before you do this, right? So we can copy the O&O thread? For those of us that don't have the time to do it right now because they're headed to do laundry before the place closes?

'Cause ... some of us have really worked hard on the O&O threads, having not know what to put in them at first. >.> *frets* So we get a final warning? I hope? Please?

Greenthorn

Ohhh I agree Trieste!! *Goes to copy mine now just in case..and maybe Trieste's too so she's safe*

Vekseid

Quote from: Silvestine on March 21, 2008, 11:28:19 AM
My question about the 'characters' in threads (like RPOL) - will it be possible to have a different Avatar for each character? And will there be something that denotes whose character it is?

Yes on all counts. It's just a text replacement that will occur when someone views a message. People like the openness here so I don't see a reason to have it hide who made a post.

It will replace the poster's name, avatar link, and give a link to the character's public sheet. In the future I may add the ability to have multiple members control a character but one feature at a time for now.

Quote from: Trieste... but ... you will warn before you do this, right? So we can copy the O&O thread? For those of us that don't have the time to do it right now because they're headed to do laundry before the place closes?

SMF 2 won't go into release candidate mode for at least a month, probably longer.  Ons and Offs will get deleted or archived sometime after the feature goes online anyway.

King_Furby

awesome better user profiles will be nice to have.