Arpeggio of Blue Steel Recruitment Thread (new Players welcome!)

Started by Mac84, January 16, 2014, 08:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac84

This is a recruitment thread for a Group RP set in the Arpeggio of Blue Steel Universe.

The Story surrounds a group of Fleet of Fog that are ordered to guard a tiny Supply Base in the middle of Pacific. Basically, they're there to be kept out of the way of the rest of the Fleet of Fog as they Blockade the oceans of the world.

The Group is compromised of Post WWI, WWI Refits, and Pre-WWII ships. They patrol the waters around the island and make sure that no one unauthorized approaches. At the end of each Patrol, the report is sent by the Flagship (A distinction that is won before each patrol by a game of Rock, paper, Scissors) to some mysterious Contact. Regardless of the report's contents. The Reply is always "Report Received. Carry on as ordered."

Then one day, no reply comes. Simply empty static. What do these Ships do now? Continue on as Ordered, or take initiative to investigate the disappearance of their "Contact". Thus leaving the Island (Which has absolutely no strategic value what's so ever), and setting course for the open ocean. Not sure what they will find.

Any class, and nationality of ship will be available so long as they're Post WWI, WWI Refit, or Pre-WWII. No Super ships (Yamato, Iowa, Bismark, Etc.)

Yukina

I might join. May you describe the world to me a bit more?

Major Major

I can field that for you, chief.

The basic premise is that it is the mid-2050's. Global Warming and Climate Change has caused the world's sea levels to rise by as much as 20 metres in some places.

And if that was not bad enough, a strange and mysterious power, "The Fleet Of Fog", has driven mankind from the seas, and is blockading every mile of coastline, preventing mankind from crossing the oceans by sea or air.

The Fleet of Fog itself is a grand mystery; on the surface they look like WWII-era battleships, aircraft carriers, submarines etc. But scratch the surface, and they reveal that they are AI-controlled super-warships that would give Trek a run for it's money; indeed, you could almost call them Von Neumann Machines that have adopted the guise of famous warships like Yamato and Bismarck. But even the Fog themselves don't know of their origins, or why they have been ordered to drive humanity from the seas; and the Supreme Flagship of the Fleet, Yamato (well, yeah, it's a Japanese series, so of course most of the characters are going to be Japanese), she knows that sooner or later, Mankind will develop a way to defeat the Fleet of Fog's incredable armour and weapons, and use their superior Tactical Genius to defeat the Fog, and avenge the loss of the Great Naval Battle of 2039.

And thus, are the Mental Models created; human avatars and personifications of each Fog ship (though under normal circumstances, only ships of Heavy Cruiser size and greater have the processing power to manifest a mental model), created to limit themselves, to understand human concepts, and learn....

Mac84

Thank you Major for the explanation, and yes. that is it in a nut shell. There is a Manga Series, and an 13 episode Anime Series out on it surrounding an I-400 Class Submarine/Aircraft Carrier, and her Human Captain GUnzo

Yukina

Seems interesting. Any flagships that'd fit meek characters?

Major Major

And, naturally, it has a wiki.

And here it is

And here are links to two different sites that carry the scanlations.

Major Major

Quote from: Yugishogun on January 16, 2014, 04:26:27 PM
Seems interesting. Any flagships that'd fit meek characters?

Well, the world is pretty open to choose from, though it's best to check the wiki to see what ships have already been seen in-series. And it also depends on which navy you want to use ships from.

Yukina

Well, I know I'd prefer to pick a Japanese ship, but I'm not that much of a history buff to tell which one would qualify as meek.

Major Major

Well, you don't really need to know the histories of the ships involved; they're not reincarnations of the WWII vessels.

As for a Japanese ship, how about the Takao-class heavy cruiser Chokai?

Yukina

Major Major

Oh, and speaking of Takao-class ships, here's a brief precis of each of the three ships of that class that we've been introduced to so far, so as you can get an idea of how different Fog ships can be from each other:

Takao: A bit stuck-up, arrogant and haughty when introduced as a villain, she mellows out once defeated and reveals a dutiful and loyal side to her personality, as well as getting a massive Tsundere crush on the main protaganist, Gunzo Chihaya; she also gains an interest in human culture and way of life in general, and in the relationships between captains and their ships in particular. Her daydreams about Gunzo becoming her captain have to be seen to be believed.

Maya: Maya is.... well.... she's like a kid sister; childish, genki, very sociable and hates it when she feels like she's being ignored or when she has to wait around for something to do. Some find her annoying, but others find her endearing. Her hobbies include playing musical instruments, ranging from the violin, to the piano, to the saxophone, and singing.

Atago: The newest of the three to be introduced, and the one we know least about at present; she appears to be unmotivated, but also a little sulky and rebellious.

Yukina

Glad to see my character can have the meek personality despite having a similar class then. :)

Major Major

Also, when it comes to the Mental Model, all I can say is, have fun; you can make her look like almost anything you want; put her in a schoolgirl uniform, dress her up in a kimono, or punk rocker attire, anything goes.

Yukina

Yukina

Nice. I'll get to work on "Choko" after I catch up on my posts.

Sessha

As a note to everyone the entire Moko-class Cruisers are out of the picture.
Locked, cocked and ready to rock!

MelisaArtemis

Quote from: Major Major on January 16, 2014, 04:55:13 PM
Oh, and speaking of Takao-class ships, here's a brief precis of each of the three ships of that class that we've been introduced to so far, so as you can get an idea of how different Fog ships can be from each other:

Takao: A bit stuck-up, arrogant and haughty when introduced as a villain, she mellows out once defeated and reveals a dutiful and loyal side to her personality, as well as getting a massive Tsundere crush on the main protaganist, Gunzo Chihaya; she also gains an interest in human culture and way of life in general, and in the relationships between captains and their ships in particular. Her daydreams about Gunzo becoming her captain have to be seen to be believed.

Maya: Maya is.... well.... she's like a kid sister; childish, genki, very sociable and hates it when she feels like she's being ignored or when she has to wait around for something to do. Some find her annoying, but others find her endearing. Her hobbies include playing musical instruments, ranging from the violin, to the piano, to the saxophone, and singing.

Atago: The newest of the three to be introduced, and the one we know least about at present; she appears to be unmotivated, but also a little sulky and rebellious.

And you forgot about Kongo who is cold, has the emotional capacity of a rock and seem to has her own Gravity cannon stuck so far up  her ass that she practically breathes the nanomaterial... well... at least she tries to give that impression.... except she is actually just really REALLY lonely.

Of course, there is also Haruna... which is basically the most whipped Battleship AI anyone will ever see. She can be summed into 2 words: KACHING!! and NOOO!!

Major Major

You seem to know your stuff there, Melissa. Fancy joining us?

MelisaArtemis

I'm familiar with the series but not so much about the ships themselves. I'm not sure if I can play this RP properly, sorry. ^^;

Major Major

No biggie; if you want, I could look up the relevant details for you; I am quite the militaria buff.

MelisaArtemis

What worries me is that the the name for the mental models aren't exactly random. Every single mental models in the series are the names of actual historical ships with the exception of Iona (From what I know the real I-400 submarine was considered unfinished till the end of WWII so it was never given a name). Japanese in particular just love to give their war machines females names (Yamato in contrast to its current use, actually comes from the phrase Yamato Nadeshiko which is the traditional Japanese principle of perfect Japanese beauty)

Mac84

There is a lot of ships on the register, and you don't have to have a Japanese ship if you don't want to. Any class, and Nationality are available.

For example. My Ship is the Arizona, but I've given her the nickname of Ari

Avalon29

Hi Melisa,

I was in the same boat as you, familiar with the series but not the ships. What I did was google battleships in world war 2 and battleships sunk in world war 1. If you are looking looking for suggestions, I found several interesting ships during my own reasearch that I didn't use. The Italian fast battleship Andrea Doria, the French battleship  Lorraine, the French Heavy Cruiser AlgĂ©rie and the German submarine Rhyes.

Major Major

And don't forget, there's a lot of Allied boats you can use; why, just from looking at American Heavy Cruisers alone you have 24 ships to choose from:

*The seven ships of the Astoria/New Orleans-class
*Both Pensacola-class ships
*The six Northampton-class
*The Portland-class pair
*USS Wichita
*The first six Baltimore-class cruisers