Has anyone played any good video games lately?

Started by Music is life, July 20, 2013, 06:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Brady

Quote from: Shjade on November 07, 2013, 12:05:00 AM
Lucky for you, Path of Exile is free. And it's not bad, for a Diablo 2 homage/clone/whatever.
It's decent, but it's a game that should have been out in 2007.  I've been in the Closed Beta of almost a year.  It's fun, but I LOVE Diablo style loot games. :)
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

SinXAzgard21

I've played around 6 to 7 hours of PoE and I really enjoy the game, more so than I did D3 which I feel failed badly.  But I agree with you Chris, it should have been released a lot sooner as the game does feel dated, at least to me.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Chris Brady

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on November 07, 2013, 01:05:44 AM
I've played around 6 to 7 hours of PoE and I really enjoy the game, more so than I did D3 which I feel failed badly.  But I agree with you Chris, it should have been released a lot sooner as the game does feel dated, at least to me.
It's got it's pluses and minuses to me.  Just like Diablo 3.  One of the coolest things with D3, for me, is the raw power when you hit something in Melee, with the Barbarian and Monk you can literally play 'golf' with most of the Non-Boss monsters, as most of your strikes, including basic ones will throw, or destroy, bodies.  The minus side for me, are the maps.  They're static.  Once you've seen them, you've completely seen them.

PoE has a dynamic map system, which is imminently replayable.  However, the canned animations have little weight behind them, and the impact feels rather limp.

Both games have terrible loot systems, PoE's is slightly worse, because you don't get gold to buy better or gamble for better, like you can with Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Chris Brady on November 07, 2013, 02:04:38 AM
It's got it's pluses and minuses to me.  Just like Diablo 3.  One of the coolest things with D3, for me, is the raw power when you hit something in Melee, with the Barbarian and Monk you can literally play 'golf' with most of the Non-Boss monsters, as most of your strikes, including basic ones will throw, or destroy, bodies.  The minus side for me, are the maps.  They're static.  Once you've seen them, you've completely seen them.

PoE has a dynamic map system, which is imminently replayable.  However, the canned animations have little weight behind them, and the impact feels rather limp.

Both games have terrible loot systems, PoE's is slightly worse, because you don't get gold to buy better or gamble for better, like you can with Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3.

Ah Torchlight 2, how I love it so much with Synergies mod.

Shjade

Quote from: Chris Brady on November 07, 2013, 02:04:38 AM

You gamble for better by getting Orbs of Chance/Alchemy orbs and gambling on whites turning into great rares/uniques.

But yeah loot RNG always sucks in these games. And PoE's player-trade system is practically nonexistent, which makes it worse.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Shjade on November 07, 2013, 10:57:46 AM
You gamble for better by getting Orbs of Chance/Alchemy orbs and gambling on whites turning into great rares/uniques.

I have terrible luck with Random Number Generators.  I've burnt over 200 Chance (with the corresponding eraser orbs, whose name I forget) and I've gotten, maybe, one decent yellow rare, no uniques.  100 of those Chance orbs in one sitting.  All I ever wanted was a Unique 2H axe or sword.

Sel Nar

There's a reason people who have played King of Dragon Pass state that they wish to propitate (sacrifice goods or cattle to basically say 'go torture someone else') the Dread God ArrEnnGee.

Speaking of good games; Assassin's Creed IV is, in my personal opinion, second-best of the 6-game series. (AC 2 is still the best) The Jackdaw alone makes the game worth it.

Also, Bulletstorm. So Very much. If you like FPS that don't take themselves seriously, go play it. Now. Faster. It's a breath of fresh air that bounced through the glut of CoD clones with gleeful abandon, a massive boot, and kill rewards such as 'Mercy' (Shoot someone in the head after capping them in the balls, to put them out of their agony), or 'Ejaculated' (Eject someone into space). It's 90% dick jokes, 10% plot, and all fun. Plus you can control a 40-foot tall laser-shooting robot dinosaur.

And, in the 'guilty pleasure' side of things, there's Dragon's Crown, which is damn fun once you look past the fact that 2 of the 6 characters are basically over-exaggerated T&A. Amusingly, the Elf is damn near a gamebreaker, as with charged arrows and salamander oil, she can kill the final boss, solo, in under 5 minutes.

SinXAzgard21

Shjade

Quote from: Sel Nar on November 07, 2013, 02:02:40 PM
And, in the 'guilty pleasure' side of things, there's Dragon's Crown, which is damn fun once you look past the fact that 2 of the 6 characters are basically over-exaggerated T&A. Amusingly, the Elf is damn near a gamebreaker, as with charged arrows and salamander oil, she can kill the final boss, solo, in under 5 minutes.

I'd be all over it if it were a PC game.

And if side-scrolling brawlers performed well on a PC.

@Chris: I tend to have terrible RNG luck as well, though in PoE I have so far gotten lucky once in finding Geofri's Baptism on my Scion, pretty much the perfect leveling weapon for her Avatar of Fire Infernal Blow build. I doubt I'll find a replacement for it until/unless I come across a great level 60+ rare or something like the Soul Taker, or a really good 1h/shield combo for supertankiness.
◕/◕'s

Inkidu

Quote from: Sel Nar on November 07, 2013, 02:02:40 PMAlso, Bulletstorm. So Very much. If you like FPS that don't take themselves seriously, go play it. Now. Faster. It's a breath of fresh air that bounced through the glut of CoD clones with gleeful abandon, a massive boot, and kill rewards such as 'Mercy' (Shoot someone in the head after capping them in the balls, to put them out of their agony), or 'Ejaculated' (Eject someone into space). It's 90% dick jokes, 10% plot, and all fun. Plus you can control a 40-foot tall laser-shooting robot dinosaur.

It's actually funny how good Bulletstorm's story is. It's a heavily character driven story, and the characters are kind of believable. A little over the top, but still kind of grounded.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sel Nar

And, because it's NOT 90 shades of brown and 'Michael Bay as seen by infinity ward', nobody gave it a fair shake. Which makes me sad.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Shjade on November 07, 2013, 02:20:12 PM
I'd be all over it if it were a PC game.

And if side-scrolling brawlers performed well on a PC.

I'm in that boat with you.

johnw42

Totally agree, Bulletstorm is the game I had the most fun with these last 2 years along with the Batman - Arkham series, Mass Effect 1 & 2 and Fallout 3. Wish they would do a sequel.

I've been bored to death with the latest CoDs, I think I'm totally over this type of frantic and mindless shooting and it's really not what I need to unwind after a long day or a relaxed weekend.

Only real surprise was dead space 1 and 2, since I'm no fan of horror, and the beginning of the 3rd was awesome, but I can't figure out why they grounded it, I kept playing it hoping the story will pout me back in space. No such luck, so I gave up  :-(

Quote from: Inkidu on November 07, 2013, 03:31:06 PM
It's actually funny how good Bulletstorm's story is. It's a heavily character driven story, and the characters are kind of believable. A little over the top, but still kind of grounded.

Inkidu

Well, by 3 long-time fans had been in space twice, so it was a fairly welcome change.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sel Nar

Having played through Dead Space, 2, and 3, I can honestly say that, even if there's never a continuation of the series, 3 let it go out on a high note. Unless you got the DLC, then it went out on a pants-shittingly-terrifying note.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sel Nar on November 10, 2013, 11:15:01 AM
Having played through Dead Space, 2, and 3, I can honestly say that, even if there's never a continuation of the series, 3 let it go out on a high note. Unless you got the DLC, then it went out on a pants-shittingly-terrifying note.
Does anyone  else hate those kinds of endings? There's no catharsis. :P

JadeArwen

-giggles- What is happening to games theses days? Only game I really play anymore is minecraft. Some times I will get bored with it and play a game on steam.

Twisted Crow

Aside from the super-fast strike speeds, I'm very much enjoying WWE 2k14! Just finished the 30 Days of WrestleMania story the other day. So much nostalgia from my childhood and very accurately recreated. I did giggle at a fan carrying a John Cena foam hand in the WM3 Hogan v Andre match.

Hehe. Funny little oversight. Fun game, though. :D

Inkidu

Now that I've broken through the frustration barrier Enemy Within is a blast.

Three words: Kinetic Strike Module. You haven't lived until you've punched something into a car that then (because this video game land) blows up.

Shjade

I've heard it's also fun to punch someone through a wall from the other side of the wall to launch them across the map.
◕/◕'s

SinXAzgard21

I'm going through all seven of the Dot Hack games right now. 

Revelation

For Enemy Within, it was glorious to have my Mec trooper deck a Chrysalid in the first terror mission. Killed the thing and sent it crashing through a window to its death. Totally makes chopping off some innocent soldiers arms and legs and giving them a troubling existence after the war worth it. Goddamn I had Chrysalids. Not as much as Lobstermen though.

Shjade

If you hate chrysalids, you may be pleased to hear that, apparently, they panic if they're set on fire. By, for instance, a flamethrower.
◕/◕'s

Inkidu

Quote from: Shjade on November 15, 2013, 03:32:15 AM
If you hate chrysalids, you may be pleased to hear that, apparently, they panic if they're set on fire. By, for instance, a flamethrower.
THEY DO!

I did that on the alien base with my support mec and it was glorious! I thought for sure I was going to lose a soldier and they run off.

I was so happy I could have danced.

Revelation

Quote from: Shjade on November 15, 2013, 03:32:15 AM

I'll have to keep that in mind. Sadly, my most recent ironman run went sour after my first run in with Mutons. Stumbling into 2 groups and having them attack by all sides was the pits.