Group Roleplay:: Opinions?

Started by Mnemosyne, April 20, 2017, 01:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mnemosyne

I am not quite sure if this is the best place to write this... feel free to tell me if there is some place better.

Having not participated in group roleplays in roughly six years... and being a general recluse on this site, I am trying to... not panic? At the same time... I would appreciate if someone would do me the favor of just telling me if what I posted in the group roleplay request section looks... proper? I wonder if I presented myself as well as my idea well... I apologize if this is all in general incorrect for me to do.

Have a look

I've been on/off contemplating for roughly a month whether or not to have a go at it... and I wonder if I ought take down the post, to try again at a later date..? Of course I suppose if there is no interest in it I should not..? I have been looking over various tutorials/suggestions across elliquiy in regards to GM/Group roleplays but... I would love any additional help available?
I like my posts like I like my cock.
Thick, lengthy, and something I can choke up on.
Cravings//Apologies&Absences//O&O
I've been Insulted... Disrespected... I've been
Mistreated

Gypsy

It looks fine to me, but I will note that you're asking a lot of potential players, and what you're asking is very specifically oriented.

That, IMO, narrows down your potential pool of players.

The idea is well presented, so I would suggest you just have patience and see who bites, and perhaps ask them for suggestions as to what to do to attract more players if you don't get as many as you need/want. 

These things are cyclical as well, depending on the right people having time and looking for games when you've posted your idea.  Sometimes it just takes time, so if it's a game that you want to run, just have courage and keep it out there and see what happens.  Listen to suggestions, and try to work with them without compromising the core of what you want.

Good luck with your game. :-)
<a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=286451.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=244545.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=279617.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=245953.0"></a>     

🌹🔥🌹   on 'no writing' hiatus    🌹🔥🌹    not available    🌹🔥🌹    formerly 'Briar Rose' & 'GypsyRose'    🌹🔥🌹

Mnemosyne

I shall add that additional note of suggestions being welcome then. Suggestions do not necessarily mean they are instantly integrated after all.. so I suppose it would not be a bad thing. Especially since I do feel I need the help. I truly do appreciate you taking the time to look it over for me. <3 I shall just have to breath and bare these things in mind. ~
Mistreated

Flower

Heya!

Here's some of my thoughts.

-  In addition to this I am hoping that they will also have at least one roleplay past or current that they have managed to write at least three pages in if Solo. Or Five pages if in a Group roleplay.

This seems a much. I can see the one v. one requirement but the group game portion seems a bit much. There are a lot of reasons why a group game might end. A lot of those factors are out of a participant's​ control.

Everything else looks pretty great. It's a neat concept. ^_^

Mnemosyne

Hmmm. I wasn't sure what to put for an estimation of how long is a fair amount of time put into a group roleplay. The last group roleplay I did went ten pages, so I imagined five pages would be a good estimation for one? Should I put three for that as well then do you think? Or is that still too much?
Mistreated

Beautiful Mystery

Okay, so I am looking from the outside in. I have yet to do a group game here on E (Did I mention that so many people in one roleplay makes me stressed? :P) so I will give my opinion from an outsider of sorts.

Pros:
- Wonderful game idea. I think that you could get a lot of good people and I think the idea is a good one.
- LGBTQ friendly means that anyone (Lords, Ladies, Lieges and Legates) can feel comfortable posting.
- Slower pacing means that people don't have to worry about getting a post out every day and falling behind. However, I am not good at knowing what time courses work the best for group roleplays.
- Equal gender distribution means that there isn't 10 guys and 2 girls or vice versa.
- Extreme solos gives everyone freedom but everyone can choose what levels they are okay with.

Cons:
- I agree with Gypsy that the post length could deter people. I completely understand that you want people who post more than 2 sentences in the game (that would frustrate me for sure) but I think it could deter people. I am not sure how you could rectify that... perhaps saying that you prefer longer posts than a short paragraph?
- The amount of people/writing two characters can deter as well. But if you are looking for 14 characters at first, that is only like 7 people (6 including you) so that isn't much. But I think you should encourage people to write more than one character but I don't think it should be a requirement. Some people like to dedicate all their energy to one person instead of spreading themselves too thin.
- I also agree with Flower that the requirement for games is a bit too much. I fully understand that you don't want to get players who post twice and then suddenly lose interest and drop out. I think one x ones help a lot because like Flower said, group games die a lot. They go super strong and then just like... fizzle within a month.

Questions/Suggestions:
- What other characters can be introduced? You mentioned guards but what else? Housekeepers, delivery people? Will they go outside of the manor and interact with people (I see that it says about not being easy to get out of the manor)? I think there might need to be some additional characters needed outside of the vices and virtues.
-  Remember that some things might need to be changed as time goes along. Post length/posting time can change and might need to. You never really know what works for the group you have until it gets up and running.

All in all, I like the idea! I hope my post helps you out. I wanted to show you both pros and cons of the way you have listed it now. And just some things to think about. (:
Check A/A
The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns.
He comes dressed as everything you have wished for.
O2//A2//Request//Boudoir

Mnemosyne

Hmmm edited the bit about post length, as I do understand that, as well as the bit about two characters. I think just as you, I am stressed at the idea of too many people. Which is why I thought it might possibly be better if I found people who could write multiple characters? I do see how it could be intimidating though, and I don't wish it to scare off potential writers. Since I know some people can really pull off a singular character much better if not given that extra stress.

Still need to figure what is a good estimation for what people normally get to with group roleplays.

Guards are the only people I've imagined. I feel they would be multipurpose so I guess in a way they are the housekeepers/delivery people? Their story is a bit different than the main story I had thought up, which is why I had not included it yet? Since I do not believe they would have direct interaction with anyone for quite some time?

Eventually in the distant future I imagine them figuring a way out, but given I do not know the circumstances by which they would get out.. it is hard to think of what they might come across after that? There are a lot of mysteries revolving around the manor/mansion. Ones that I suppose I always wanted help creating? So it was not entirely all 100% my idea? Perhaps I should lay out more guidelines though..? Or rough drafts of what might happen? It is a very far off future idea though. Since I imagine most of the roleplay will occur within the manor itself?

I suppose the length of posts can especially vary if there is action as well. Which I imagine there will be action of many different sorts.

Thank you for all your input! <3
Mistreated

Beautiful Mystery

Quote from: Mnemosyne on April 20, 2017, 02:52:29 PM
Hmmm edited the bit about post length, as I do understand that, as well as the bit about two characters. I think just as you, I am stressed at the idea of too many people. Which is why I thought it might possibly be better if I found people who could write multiple characters? I do see how it could be intimidating though, and I don't wish it to scare off potential writers. Since I know some people can really pull off a singular character much better if not given that extra stress.

Still need to figure what is a good estimation for what people normally get to with group roleplays.

Guards are the only people I've imagined. I feel they would be multipurpose so I guess in a way they are the housekeepers/delivery people? Their story is a bit different than the main story I had thought up, which is why I had not included it yet? Since I do not believe they would have direct interaction with anyone for quite some time?

Eventually in the distant future I imagine them figuring a way out, but given I do not know the circumstances by which they would get out.. it is hard to think of what they might come across after that? There are a lot of mysteries revolving around the manor/mansion. Ones that I suppose I always wanted help creating? So it was not entirely all 100% my idea? Perhaps I should lay out more guidelines though..? Or rough drafts of what might happen? It is a very far off future idea though. Since I imagine most of the roleplay will occur within the manor itself?

I suppose the length of posts can especially vary if there is action as well. Which I imagine there will be action of many different sorts.

Thank you for all your input! <3

With you explaining why you want people to write more than one character, I really understand. There are some people that can work in groups with like 20 players or so. That is great! But like you said (and I am the same way), that many people makes me go "Too many....people...." lol

But I think it sounds like you have some things to think about. Directions to take the plot in the future!

Again, I was merely making suggestions for you. It is up to you whether or not you want to use them. I understand where you are coming from on a lot of things because I am the same way. Both Gypsy and Flower have GM'ed before so they are great people to listen to. (:

I wish you luck on finding people to play! (:
Check A/A
O2//A2//Request//Boudoir

RedPhoenix

I don't have anything too particular as I think it's been covered very well already but I do want to say major props for running a game! Even if this one doesn't work out don't let it get you down. The first two games I tried to run crashed and burned spectacularly but the third one is going wonderfully months later. E needs people willing to take a chance on cool game ideas and you're totally doing that so yay for you! :)
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

Ebb

I think the game idea and the request thread are mostly fine. If I could make one suggestion, I'd say to put the game concept up front and the player requirements further down. You want to grab people with your neat idea, not immediately hit them with the qualifications they have to meet to join.

You might also want to find a couple of evocative pictures that get across the feel of what you're trying to do. A Gothic mansion, for example, or character images for the characters Lust and Charity, since you've already written those out.

Basically: More bait! Then hit them with the hook after they're already interested.

Also, don't get discouraged if you don't get the number of responses that you want. Sometimes a game idea will just strike a bunch of people, and sometimes the exact same idea can languish. It's completely random. You might want to consider setting a minimum, where you can start playing if you get (say) four players, and then others can join in later. It's better to have a small enthusiastic group than a large lackadaisical one.

King Serperior

Quote from: RedPhoenix on April 20, 2017, 03:55:47 PM
I don't have anything too particular as I think it's been covered very well already but I do want to say major props for running a game! Even if this one doesn't work out don't let it get you down. The first two games I tried to run crashed and burned spectacularly but the third one is going wonderfully months later. E needs people willing to take a chance on cool game ideas and you're totally doing that so yay for you! :)
Exactly this.  I've run more games that have crashed, burned, then buried themselves in their own impact craters than I can count.  It's been years since I started my first group game and I think I finally have one going that might stick.  *crosses fingers*

The key is to never give up.  Mistakes will be made, but that only makes future games stronger.   :-)

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

Mnemosyne

Added more to the description part of it all, wrote in how I would be willing to start with a minimum of four, placed some photos up.

I have begun to wonder... when an interest check becomes too much like a recruit thread though... Would it be better to just start a recruit thread... or is an interest check wiser..?
Mistreated

Gypsy

Personally, I don't really see much difference ... other than whether you've created a thread or two for the game already.

I've only run 2 games on here, but I use(d) the same thread for interest/recruiting, and when I'm looking for a game to play in, I'd rather see the interest and commentary all in one thread rather than two so I know what's already been considered.

<a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=286451.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=244545.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=279617.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=245953.0"></a>     

🌹🔥🌹   on 'no writing' hiatus    🌹🔥🌹    not available    🌹🔥🌹    formerly 'Briar Rose' & 'GypsyRose'    🌹🔥🌹

Mnemosyne

I wonder if the Title has something to do with this all as well..? My previous title might have been a bit vague... I'm still not sure about it. Thank you all for your input though! Transforming an interest thread into a recruiting thread at a later date does sound sensible.
Mistreated

NightLux

Quote from: Mnemosyne on April 21, 2017, 03:17:34 PM
I wonder if the Title has something to do with this all as well..? My previous title might have been a bit vague... I'm still not sure about it. Thank you all for your input though! Transforming an interest thread into a recruiting thread at a later date does sound sensible.

A title is going to be important since that's basically all you have to attract someone's attention in a big list of threads at first.  I kind of looked at some of the more successful group games (in terms of replies to the original thread) and flat out took some of their ideas, especially in the title.  But hey, we're all learning, right?

Best of luck to you with your game.  I'm still green myself running them here but I'm eager to learn too.
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
RP Status: Seeking new partners
RL Status: Looking forward to my birthday!
Solo Status: 0 (due) / 3 (total)
In Development: 0
Group Due: 0 (due) / 0 (total)
[/td][/tr][/table]

Mnemosyne

Best of luck to you as well. <3 All of the title examples I noticed in the Group Request section seemed related to a fandom of one sort or another..? Or to a specific genre? Mine I believe might touch quite a few genres so I can't fit it all into the title. Doing my best to keep it short and simple.
Mistreated

NightLux

Quote from: Mnemosyne on April 21, 2017, 05:43:37 PM
Best of luck to you as well. <3 All of the title examples I noticed in the Group Request section seemed related to a fandom of one sort or another..? Or to a specific genre? Mine I believe might touch quite a few genres so I can't fit it all into the title. Doing my best to keep it short and simple.

I think that would make a difference.  Maybe just pick the one with the largest fan base and include that?
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Wyatt

You have already been given some great suggestions above, with BeMy doing an amazing job of balancing the issues and challenges that your game set-up offers and faces.  Being one of your 1x1 partners and a long time GM, though never on E, my thoughts would be:

1.  Though not a steadfast rule, group games tend to attract writers who are more efficient with their posting styles.  So looking for longer posts and not defining what that means to you is a possible turn off for some folks.  If a minimum of two solid paragraphs is good, say that.  A lot of writers can say and do an amazing amount in that length of post.

2.  You are using the Deadly Sins as part of your game idea, play that up in the title.  Vice sounds nice, but Sins in a snappier, more eye catching term to use in a title.  Keep the title simple, intriguing and sexy, you want to catch the attention of possible players, not necessarily to describe the game so literally (I saw the word manifestations and thought it was a ghost story game).

3.  Having everyone brought to a single manor or castle makes sense, but perhaps offer up some grounds, even if it is a large courtyard within the center of the building to keep the game setting from sounding too prison like.

4.  The game is supposed to be LGBTQ friendly, but then you ask to balance genders and separate males and females.  That makes sense given the yin-yang concept of sins vs virtues, but being so very gender-binary doesn't feel like it fits with an LGBTQ welcoming or encouraging game.

I like your idea of going with a smaller number of players to start as a minimum.  14 is a large number to handle and recruit/retain long term, plus if you have someone fall out, there will be remaining Sins/Virtues to fill in with new players to keep the game going.

It is also a game with possible extreme happenings, this is fine, but it will naturally winnow down the possible pool of players a bit.

Good luck, Mneme!
"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.”
Ons, Offs and Stuff   
Story Ideas
Apologies and Absences

Mnemosyne

I wrote in that two paragraphs minimum is all right after looking over the old group roleplay I had done and seeing that you are quite right. People can surprisingly write quite a bit in two paragraphs if they put the time into it.

I dunno if this title is any better, 'The Deadly Sins Imprisoned.' I have been trying to keep it simple but it is difficult to word an entire idea into so few words without worrying I am being deceiving..?

Making sure there is open space is part of why there is the open air on the roof as well as the Conservatory? I imagined the Conservatory as a very grand place with lots of plants, water, space in general? I had not wanted to describe every little detail of every scene though. Would it be better if I did? I worried it might become too drawn out if I added too many details all at once..?

As for the LGBTQ reference, I'm not sure if I feel it makes sense to change the idea of attempting to keep equality in the amount of each gender? Since if there are too many females, then it would be more of a lesbian game, leaving those who are more straight oriented out. Or in the same instance, it would give very few chances for any female to find a male she really got along with rather than was forced to be with because it was the only male. Then in addition, there would be slim pickings for any males who preferred males if there were too many females. So on and so forth. Equality in genders is me attempting to give as broad of a spectrum for attraction as is possible?

Or in all this did you mean more I should put something that includes more specifically gender fluid, transgender, non-binary/genderqueer? Making a game that had equal accounts of Female, Male, and all of these others might be a bit more difficult..? I think I am in general unclear on what you meant by this forth statement. I would appreciate if you would clarify?

Thank you for all your lovely suggestions. <3
Mistreated

NightLux

Quote from: Mnemosyne on April 24, 2017, 11:20:26 AM
As for the LGBTQ reference, I'm not sure if I feel it makes sense to change the idea of attempting to keep equality in the amount of each gender? Since if there are too many females, then it would be more of a lesbian game, leaving those who are more straight oriented out. Or in the same instance, it would give very few chances for any female to find a male she really got along with rather than was forced to be with because it was the only male. Then in addition, there would be slim pickings for any males who preferred males if there were too many females. So on and so forth. Equality in genders is me attempting to give as broad of a spectrum for attraction as is possible?

I know this can be a sensitive subject, but you've also got to admit that there needs to be an organic nature to this.  Yes, you might end up with a gay male with no other gay males for him to eventually form a relationship/tryst with.  But its my experience, reading some of them, that its the quality of the player more than the sexual orientation that is going to drive the game.  That and it its only a matter of time before you start churning people and the balance you thought you had is now gone.

Due to the way society idolizes the female form over the male, it seems we get a lot more bisexual females (both male and female partners) than we do bisexual males or gay males, or even both together.  That's not to say that it doesn't exist, but just in my experience (admitted limited) it seems that's just the cards we're playing with.  But all that said... it should be the quality of the stories you're aiming for that keeps the game and players going, not what parts they can play with.  Its a great boon and, hell, I love reading about those situations, but those should be secondary... I mean, it doesn't seem you're trying to run a smut game.

Anyway, just another 2c.  I hope it works out!
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Beautiful Mystery

Quote from: Mnemosyne on April 24, 2017, 11:20:26 AM

Pops back in.

Okay so again, outsider looking in. :P From what I have seen when I peruse character sheets, I see a lot of characters who are bisexual or pansexual. I mean, not that every character I see is that way but I see it more times than not that people don't always play strictly homo or heterosexual characters. I honestly think you just have to see who bites and who they are planning on doing.

You may get a list of mostly pansexual characters, meaning that if the genders are distributed equally, then that is a good picking for pairings.

However, if you find that people only want to play heterosexual characters and you have 4 males to 8 females...then that might present a problem. In that case, you might want people to write more males (as a secondary character if they wish) or bring in another person or two who are interested in writing just a male character.

I think you will just have to see what the characters are before deciding what the next step is. (:

Again, I hope I helped. If not... then at least I tried! haha.
Check A/A
O2//A2//Request//Boudoir

NightLux

Quote from: Beautiful Mystery on April 24, 2017, 11:30:48 PM
Pops back in.

(snip)  You may get a list of mostly pansexual characters, meaning that if the genders are distributed equally, then that is a good picking for pairings.

That's a very good point.  Look and see what you current demographic is and then work to recruit specific players/types of players to fill in the gaps that you need.  As she said elsewhere, if all are heterosexual and you've got 2:1 female:male, adding someone who wants to play a lesbian isn't going to help the imbalance.  However, if its 1:1 hetero m/f and 1:1 lesbian f/f, you're perfect, even if the overall ratio is lopsided between men and women (if just four players, it would be 3:1 female:male.

I didn't even think of that.  Guess that's why our Beautiful Mystery (god, I love that name by the way) is a Mentor.
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Gypsy

Keep in mind that chemistry between players comes into play as well.  Even if you've got everything absolutely even, that won't help if Player A and Player B, who have meshing interests on paper, really aren't interested in any sort of interaction with each other or each other's characters.

Sometimes its best just to trust that the things that depend on character sexual preferences will work itself out.

Mnemosyne

I think I have come to a better understanding of what you all might be getting at. ~ So I have updated my thread accordingly, removing the guideline that I wanted to keep equal genders.

I appreciate people taking the time to elaborate on things. <3
Mistreated

NightLux

Quote from: Mnemosyne on April 25, 2017, 12:18:23 PM
I think I have come to a better understanding of what you all might be getting at. ~ So I have updated my thread accordingly, removing the guideline that I wanted to keep equal genders.

I appreciate people taking the time to elaborate on things. <3

By helping you out we get to see things for a different perspective.  You had valid, good reasons for how you approached it and, to be honest, the first thing I did was look at the demographics of my game to see if we were imbalanced any.  You helped me too!
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]