Mythic Pathfinder (interest check)

Started by Autocad, May 26, 2014, 10:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocad

Anyone played or ran a mythic pathfinder game before? How was it? Any highlights or tips?

Also, as nothing is set in stone yet, brainstorming for setting, plot, mechanics, etc, for a potential game.

Ghostwheel

While I've been wanting to play one, most of the games that are advertised as such start without any mythic ranks whatseover and tend to be over long before one gains any of them, or even levels for that matter.

Blinkin

I've seen several mythic games offered, but like GW, I have yet to see one reach a mythic level before it dies and I haven't yet gotten into one to find out how it works in a forum based format.

I doubt that you would lack for interested players though. Pathfinder is one of the most popular systems on E... even if there seems to be a significant lack of the same players sticking with the games.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Autocad

Good points about games' longevity, or lack thereof. This probably means that characters will need to start off leveled and mythic right off the bat.

Atarn

Isn't the point of Mythic level that you start out with it?

It's not DnD Epic, which might explain some issues with games dying.

That said, there's not enough Mythic games around, the concept behind the rules seem really brilliant.
A sudden storm in
    summer, the brightest
    star at night; an
    opportunist rogue,
    confessor of sins
    a master of hearts
    a dominant lover

Blinkin

The game being D&D or Pathfinder really doesn't have any bearing on the game's lifespan. Both tend to have short lives; mainly due to player drop-out. As to why they don't start out mythic... maybe the GM's want the characters to feel like mortals before they become near gods, or they want the players to go through the moment of acention. Those seem to be the most common reasons given.

Again, interest has never been an issue. It's the fact that you get a game going after selecting from the massive pool of players and the same players who clamered for the game drop without a word. Getting a stable and reliable group is the issue that plagues all group games on E.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Muse

I haven't gotten to play one yet but I'd love to try.  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Kunoichi

I know I'd certainly be interested in giving the Mythic rules a try.  As far as potential plot and setting ideas go, if the game will have players start out with Mythic levels, rather than ascending mid-play, then having some sort of planar adventures theme would probably be a good way to bring together a group that would otherwise have a very diverse set of backgrounds and skills.  The players could start off having to escape from Ravenloft, or some extradimensional prison plane, or something like that.

Though, thinking about it more, the Mythic rules could be used to make some more unusual campaign concepts work.  Something along the lines of the Forgotten Realms setting's Time of Troubles, for example, where the gods are cast down to earth in semi-mortal form until they atone for some sort of transgression, or maybe something along the lines of an old 3.5 campaign I was in here on E, where the players got to be powerful demons and/or devils with unique forms and abilities.  I know I'd definitely love to try playing that latter concept again.

EroticFantasyAuthor

Quote from: Blinkin on May 26, 2014, 02:34:13 PM

Again, interest has never been an issue. It's the fact that you get a game going after selecting from the massive pool of players and the same players who clamered for the game drop without a word. Getting a stable and reliable group is the issue that plagues all group games on E.

This is the main problem with play-by-posts, especially here on E. It's extremely frustrating and the main reason for me taking a couple of breaks, periods of feeling like group games are just a waste of time due to their high mortality rate thanks to some people have no respect or consideration for other people's time. Something needs to be done, there needs to be consequences for this type of behavior.

With that said, I would be interested in trying a mythic campaign, though I would need to familiarize myself with the 'new' mythic rules.

Blinkin

One of the issues is that many of the group games, particularly system games has an ol' boys network feel. I'm not saying anyone plays favorites, but I've seen the same names appear regularly, then disapper again for a variety of reasons. Sometimes, they give reasons, sometimes they just stop acting and this slows the game, if not bring it to a complete stand still as everyone waits for a response that doesn't come.

more care should be taken to look at a players posting history for consistancy as well as character concepts. In the end, you can have a group of great characters, but if your players aren't reliable and consistant posting, your game is going to fall to the wayside.

As far as those who disappear.. I don't think anything can be done except to try to select players who have either a history of consistant posting in the long run, or keep a list of those who don't and just not accept them until they change their patterns. In either case, 25% loss is to be expected and planned for. Overstocking a group in expectation of losing a third doesn't solve the problem, it just means that you still have more players in a game that may, or may not make it to the 4 month mark.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Erich Norden

Consider my interest checked.  Also, what Blinkin said.  (WotW going on 6 months now, wooo)

Autocad

I guess the lesson to be learned is to pick players based on a consistent posting history and not just focus on the characters written. Something for me to keep in my if/when I start requesting applications.

Now, anyone have any brilliant ideas for plots/settings they would like to see?

Kunoichi

One particular plot/setting idea that I've often wanted to see someone run is an idea I came across once called the Lunar Lich Wars.

It all started on a thread on rpg.net where someone brought up the fact that it's pretty easy to set up a nice, comfy little moon fortress for yourself in D&D 3.5 as soon as you get to a high enough level to cast Greater Teleport, and then asked if it was possible to do the same in 4e.  A few ways were brought up where someone could use various rituals and class features to get to the moon, but while they were discussing how one would actually survive in that cold, desolate, airless environment, the following exchange happened:

QuoteOr be a lich. Can you do that in 4e?

Yes.

The issue is, if you're a lich who can get to the moon, you can't be the only lich who can get to the moon.

This suggests the moon is filled with warring moon liches, engaged in an eternal lunar lich war.

I certainly think it would lead to some suitably epic and mythical challenges, although it obviously needs some expanding upon.

Edit: Of course, if the idea is a little too out-there for people, I'd be fine doing something more normal.

Erich Norden

I think an adaptation of Kingmaker (the AP itself, or something inspired by it) with Mythic rules and a strong political element would be fantastic.

kalebon

I am interested as well, I have played via skype with a few people on adventure paths, they are not easy and the jade empire path just loves to punish the players. I have not been in a mythic game and would like to play and sick of games that stay low level and end before passing 15th.

Blinkin

Hmmm... I've been playing for almost 30 years and yet to play in any game that reached 15th... It's not the level that you get, but the fun that you have playing the game in the process of getting to any level. :)
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Muse

Hm... 

Well, I find that it's fun to adapt Pathfinder to Faerun.  Not sure how familiar you are with that setting though, Autocad. 

From what little I've seen of the mythic bits, it kind of defualts to sugesting you somewhat come in touch wiht another ,more epic world?  Or aspects of the world? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Ghostwheel

Eh, the big problem with FR is that it's so full of bloat. Every single thing is filled with so much information that you need to keep in your head that if you get even one thing wrong it can all fall apart due to how tons of things balance out other things to keep the world and NPCs in check.

That's the reason I prefer Eberron, honestly--not because of the steampunk/magipunk flavor, though that doesn't hurt much, but because they leave specific things intentionally vague so that you can put one of the half-dozen things that fit without messing things up. Becomes less like a math equation and more like a recipe where you can change the ingredients to suit your taste.

That said, I'd be interested in campaigning in Golarion, as I haven't done much of that and it seems like an interesting world.

Muse

Hm.... 

you know waht would be fun?  A bit of work, but still... 

Tell a story in similar scope to the original dragonlnce stories. 

Mnemaxa

I've been running an Epic Gestalty game set in a world I created.  The setting is a Dyson Sphere,  controlled by dragons, who use their territories as areas to breed their favorite humanoid races.  There are spelljamming ships that fly in tangets across the surface of the sphere, though there are just as many places so wholly uncivilized not even dragons consider them safe.  The various outer planes and elemental planes are part of the 'engines' that support the sphere's life and existence, and there is no known 'outside'.

The territory the setting is in is a place where there are no dragons - the Rule of Thirteen was developed by Linnorms breeding humans to become threats to dragons.  And the nobility are that, since they are both Gestalt classes (two classes combined into one) and their rulers of the nobles are mythic empowered, wielding the family artifacts.  Politics and power plays galore, and the knowledge that at some point, you will be facing a dragon...or perhaps what might be a god.

At 15th level and second mythic tier the first time they met a linnorm they collectively quailed in terror, which tells you how I play dragons (They could have killed it quite easily. I thought it was hilarious.)

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Zaer Darkwail

I agree FR is quite bloated with information and suited only players who know the setting very well (and so GM also). Eberron is more open ended but it does not feel mythic sort environment; more gritty sort (just my opinion).

Of course if we go mythic or any game where you should fight big bad guys or solo armies eventually....it should start +10 level and have more than one mythic level with players already. Also true that players drop out without notice or getting busy (or some taking too much on their plate and then drop). So taking over abundance of players is better than too less.

Anyways, it would be cool if each player would be epic hero who has reputation already, legend so to speak. Some could have their own domains/fortresses (or subjects) while some could have own private base (like wizard having mage tower with arcane library). Then big mythic tier threat shows up which needs their combined might to handle as regular adventurers simply cannot handle it.