News:

Main Menu

Favorite Comedian~ ?

Started by Envious Dreamer, August 04, 2011, 09:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Envious Dreamer

Title explains it all, Just a simple thread out of curiosity.
You can list one or several although for myself its an even battle between Lee Evans and Dave Chappelle, Yet Dave takes the win with his awesome imitations, I just can't help but find myself laughing too no end.  : D

Shall we make a wonderful dream together? ~  ღ

Shjade

Ehh...it's hard to pick a favorite comedian overall when I usually just like individual bits over an entire performance. But...

Gabriel Iglesias, I suppose. Most consistently entertaining even if his bits don't get the biggest laughs.

Mitch Hedberg's an honorable mention. If he'd had more time...
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Inkidu

Shjade kind of took my two favorites, but I have lots.

Gabriel Iglesias, Mitch Hedberg, Jeff Dunham, Ahmed Ahmed, Ben Baily (yes he does stand up), Dat Phan (I think that's how you spell it), Pablo Fransisco, and that's all I can think of right now.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Envious Dreamer

I've only heard of a few of those comedians myself, But yes they're very entertaining, Was watching Darren O'Brian the other night, Quite enjoyed his performance c:

Shall we make a wonderful dream together? ~  ღ

Oniya

Bill Cosby.  Robin Williams.  George Carlin.

Timeless.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Krysia

Russle Peters, Tommy Davidson. Kevin Hart, Pablo Francisco, Eddie Griffin, Gabriel Iglesias, Dr Ken Jeong, Dat Phan, Margaret Cho, Elvira Kurt, Mitch. Jeff, Robin, George, Sam Kinison, Andrew Dice Clay, Howie Mandel, Gallagher - Guess you can't tell I like to laugh. >.>

Malefique

Americans - Bill Maher, George Carlin.  Brits - Bill Bailey, Dylan Moran, Eddie Izzard, Billy Connolly.
Everything is true.  God's an astronaut.  Oz is over the rainbow, and Midian is where the monsters live.

Shjade

Quote from: Oniya on August 05, 2011, 01:53:50 PM

Timeless.
I think I'd add Richard Pryor to the "classics" list.
◕/◕'s

Oniya

Classic, probably.  One of my favorites, not so much.  ;)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

CheetahInAfrica

Laugh and the whole world will laugh with you!
Weep and you will weep alone!

The city changes, but the fools within are always the same.

Hemingway

It's hard to name just one, but ... I think my top three would be Bill Bailey, Steve Hughes and ... possibly Bill Hicks.

Will

If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

LunarSage

Steven Wright, Russel Peters, Jeff Foxworthy and Dave Chapelle

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Lilias

Bill Bailey is a one-man variety show, and I find I like his 'other' stuff more than the straight-up comedy.

Michael McIntyre is hilarious in small doses - he tends to overwhelm.

Russell Howard's Good News is perhaps my favourite comedy show since Harry Enfield & Paul Woodhouse's Ruddy Hell.

Last but not least, Omid Djalili and Shappi Khorsandi are a laugh a minute, together or separately.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Starlequin

This thread definitely needs a little love for Lewis Black. And John Pinette. And Greg Giraldo, rest his soul.
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

LunarSage

Wow, I'm amazed that I've never even heard of around 80% of these people.

HairyHeretic

Solo - Billy Connolly, Robin Willians
Groups - Monty Python, The Marx Brothers (especially Groucho)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Oniya

Quote from: LunarSage on August 06, 2011, 07:16:50 PM
Wow, I'm amazed that I've never even heard of around 80% of these people.

I know, right?  Maybe four or five that I didn't list myself...

LunarSage

*chuckles*  Well let's see... I considered myself somewhat of a connoisseur of stand up comedy in the late 80s to late 90s and I have no flippin' clue who the following people are: 

Billy Connolly
Lewis Black
John Pinette
Greg Giraldo
Bill Bailey
Michael McIntyre
Russell Howard
Omid Djalili
Shappi Khorsandi
Steve Hughes
Bill Hicks
Dylan Moran
Kevin Hart
Pablo Francisco
Dr Ken Jeong
Dat Phan
Elvira Kurt
Mitch Hedberg
Ahmed Ahmed
Lee Evans

Starlequin

*headdesks* I cannot believe I forgot the flippin Marx Brothers. And while I'm time traveling to correct my glaring error, I should mention Red Skelton, too.

Oh, and for the magicomedian fans out there - The Amazing Jonathan. (And Tina. Can't forget Tina. (at least, i think that's her name.))

Inkidu

Quote from: Starlequin on August 06, 2011, 06:08:48 PM
This thread definitely needs a little love for Lewis Black. And John Pinette. And Greg Giraldo, rest his soul.
Wait! When did Giraldo die? D:

Also, Bob Hope easily one of the top ten comedians of the Twentieth Century.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Starlequin

It was back in the last week of September, Inkidu. COD was an overdose of prescription pills, i think. I didn't even realize he'd passed until i caught the Comedy Central tribute show a couple days after.  :-[

Inkidu

Quote from: Starlequin on August 06, 2011, 08:57:18 PM
It was back in the last week of September, Inkidu. COD was an overdose of prescription pills, i think. I didn't even realize he'd passed until i caught the Comedy Central tribute show a couple days after.  :-[
Thanks, I looked it up (because I'm often forgetful that I'm on the internet right now). Shame, real shame.

Oreo

Quote from: Oniya on August 05, 2011, 01:53:50 PM

Timeless.

+1

My generation in a shell.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Ryven

I have three which love pretty much equally.  Kathy Griffin, Margaret Cho, and Eddie Izzard

Shjade

Quote from: LunarSage on August 06, 2011, 07:59:38 PM
*chuckles*  Well let's see... I considered myself somewhat of a connoisseur of stand up comedy in the late 80s to late 90s and I have no flippin' clue who the following people are: 

Billy Connolly
Lewis Black
John Pinette
Greg Giraldo
Bill Bailey
Michael McIntyre
Russell Howard
Omid Djalili
Shappi Khorsandi
Steve Hughes
Bill Hicks
Dylan Moran
Kevin Hart
Pablo Francisco
Dr Ken Jeong
Dat Phan
Elvira Kurt
Mitch Hedberg
Ahmed Ahmed
Lee Evans

Youtube can help with some of these.

comedy central present mitch hedberg part 1 This is Mitch Heberg, though only audio. Fortunately he's not at all an animated comedian so not having the visual isn't really missing out. Died some years back.

Lewis Black on Broadway talking about how America ISN'T #1 And this is Lewis Black. He shows up on the Daily Show in guest segments now and then, among other things.
◕/◕'s

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Malefique

Everything is true.  God's an astronaut.  Oz is over the rainbow, and Midian is where the monsters live.

Miyu

coolhands

That's a tough question.  For me i would say my top favorites are Ron White, Robin Williams, and John Pinette.

Syauglan

Ricky Gervais in general inc. Karl Pilkington "head like a fucking orange", Graham Linehan - his great TV shows, Bill Bailey, the legend Bill Hicks, David Mitchell - especially in Peep Show and Stewart Lee when he is at his best.

Stewart Lee on Scotland

Krysia

If you've got 45 minutes to spare that's ALL of Russle Peter's comedy show. :D

Russle Peter Video

And I've yet to see Tim Allen listed up here! Yes he was awesome when he does stand up!

Krysia

Here is another good one. Love the fact he's Asian with a southern accent.

Henry Cho - What's That Clickin' Noise? (Video)

Alice Wonder

My favorite comedian is Sarah Silverman. I absolutely love how blunt and irreverent she is.
A close second is Bill Cosby, interestingly for the opposite reason - that man knows how to be hilariously funny without needing to resort to crudeness, and sometimes, that is exactly what the doctor ordered.
I enjoy criticism on my stories - either way: The Student (explicit Femdom)

AmericanAngel

OH MAH GAWD

Jeff Dunham! <33
Just about 99% of the population masturbates while the other 1% lie about it.

Oniya

Quote from: Alice Wonder on August 14, 2011, 05:52:24 AM
A close second is Bill Cosby, interestingly for the opposite reason - that man knows how to be hilariously funny without needing to resort to crudeness, and sometimes, that is exactly what the doctor ordered.

I think if I ever saw Cosby swear, I'd have a complete mental disconnect.  You'd find me huddled in the corner, nursing a box of Jello Pudding Pops.

Kuroneko

Eddie Izzard, Stephen Colbert, Ellen Degeneres, George Carlin, Jon Stewart, Gabriel Iglesias, Rowan Atkinson, Monty Python, Fry and Laurie.
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Type70item

I would say its a tie between Robin Williams and Eddie Izzard

yobo

Bill Hicks, no question about that one. He died way too young.  :-(

Torch

Quote from: Oniya on August 18, 2011, 09:13:53 PM
I think if I ever saw Cosby swear, I'd have a complete mental disconnect.  You'd find me huddled in the corner, nursing a box of Jello Pudding Pops.

Does the routine where he says he grew up thinking his name is "Dammit", and his brother Russell's name is "Jesus Christ", count as swearing? :-)
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Torch

No love for Eddie Murphy?  :-(

"Your wife's a Bigfoot, isn't she Gus?"
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Oniya

Quote from: Torch on December 08, 2011, 05:21:49 PM
Does the routine where he says he grew up thinking his name is "Dammit", and his brother Russell's name is "Jesus Christ", count as swearing? :-)

Nope.  Even in my parents' house, that wasn't considered 'swearing'.

LadySouvaire

So many good comedians to choose from...I'd say mine are:

Richard Pryor
George Carlin
Bill Cosby
Eddie Izzard
Aziz Ansari
8D

Aemirys

-slaps a bookmark on this thread-

Too..... much....... comdey.......... !!

-goes into a cataplectic fit-
★  O/Os  ★  A/As  ★

Samael

Robin Williams is amazing (there's a 3 hour show of his on youtube, which took place like a year or so ago, and he's incredible in it).
Stephen Lynch is great, loving his lyrics and music.
I'm also enjoying the guys from Epic Rap Battles (yes, unfortunately most of my comedy lately I get from youtube. I need to start watching TV again, or something).
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

DeMarcus James

Dave Chappelle's "Sesame Street" bit sold me.

"Oscar... you're a grouch."
"Bitch, I live in a trash can!"

yobo

Quote from: Torch on December 08, 2011, 05:28:28 PM
No love for Eddie Murphy?  :-(

"Your wife's a Bigfoot, isn't she Gus?"

Good old Eddie Murphy, always keep forgetting he once had a edge to him. And that is a very funny piece you are quoting from.  ;D

Rolo

I am a huge fan of comedy and have heard of neary every one listed here and love damn near all of them.

One that still gets quite a chuckle out of me is Red Skelton.  His visual slap stick is drop dead funny.  A true Vaudeville comedian.

Seduction is merely hypnosis with desire!

-KAI-

Dirty old man in training!
Sneaky Little Bastard!

grdell

Quote from: Oniya on August 18, 2011, 09:13:53 PM

In the routine "Himself" (available on DVD - I have it), he used the word "asshole" once. I was shocked.  :o
"A million people can call the mountains a fiction, yet it need not trouble you as you stand atop them." ~XKCD

My Kinsey Scale rating: 4; and what that means in terms of my gender identity. My pronouns: he/him.

My Ons and Offs, current stories, story ideas, Apologies and Absences - Updated 28 Jan 2024.

GardenoftheDead

"I am you. I am a shadow, the true self."

TentacleFan

My favorites would definitely be Bill Hicks, died way too young and was a comedic genius. Fry & Laurie, Rowan Atkinson in most anything that isn't Mr Bean (especially Blackadder), Monty Python (especially Holy Grail), and Lenny Bruce.
I'm going to take my time. I have all the time in the world. To make you mine. It is written in the stars above.

Something's wrong when you regret, things that haven't happened yet. - The Submarines - 1940

See my O's/O's / Open Roleplays Requests / List of Current RPs / A&A's / Image Thread
Puerto de Oro: World of Interracial Fantasy
A&A's Updated : 02/10/2014

RubySlippers

Josh Blue (LCS Season 4 Ep. 8)

Josh Blue - About his Baby, Simon

Josh Blue Crazy Arm

Josh Blue he is such an inspiration to those of us with disabilities and uber-funny.

Combicon

I've got several.
Jimmy Car, Tim Minchin, Billy Conoly (oh god that man can make me laugh), George Carlin and Mitch Hedberg.

There are a few others, but those guys are just awesome. Especially the last three.

Rolo

Carlin is without a doubt the king of Cerebral comedy!

Another comedian that is piss your pants funny is Buddy Hacket!  His bit about sending his son with an acne problem to Vegas is hilarious!!

Seduction is merely hypnosis with desire!

-KAI-

Dirty old man in training!
Sneaky Little Bastard!

Mithlomwen

George Carlin, Jeff Dunham, Victor Borge, Bill Cosby (Bill Cosby: Himself is still the FUNNIEST thing ever!), Ron White is funny as well. 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Heartland

John Candy :) I was 10 years old when he passed away and I still remember feeling very sad :(
♥Heartland-xoxox♥

CastorTroy

Eddie Murphy, closely followed by Steve Martin, Sean Lock, Simon Evans and Miles Jupp. The latter two are not-so-well-known British comedians but I LOVE their style.
Requests | ONs/OFFsA/As

Current Roleplays: My Crown Jewel | Familial Ties | Daddy’s Out (Completed) |

Keefie

I'd have to go with Lee Evans, Billy Connolly or Reginald D. Hunter. They're pretty much equal favourites in my book xD

Oniya

I'd like to add Anna Russell to my list.  If you can find her discussion on writing your own Gilbert and Sullivan operetta, I challenge you to keep a straight face.  Bonus points for doing so if you've seen more than one G&S operetta in your life.

LunarSage

How many points do I lose if not only have I never heard of a Gilbert and Sullivan operetta, but I have no idea what an operetta is?   :-[

Oniya

That just puts you at base level.  It gets harder to not laugh at the routine if you're more familiar with G&S.  It's like getting minuses to save against fire spells if you're an ice elemental.

eiselmann

For me the funniest comedian was Ronnie Barker....absolute genuis with word play.
260916 Sigh, on the back end of my laptop dying last week and getting a new one delivered, we now have had some local flooding where I live....fortunately for me no major damage since my house is a few feet above ground, however my back yard looks like the swimming pool I don't have ...so might take a day or two to get back to posting

The Betrayal at Yalta, one of the main reasons the world is the mess it is today

My ons and offs link

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=254364.0

SRT4NightRider

Denis Leary, Adam Ferrara, Lenny Clarke
For the countless souls who died, let our voices fill this night. Sing with me, never again!. They aren't lost, you see. The truth will live in me, believe me.

All that I have left inside is a soul that's filled with pride. I tell you, never again! Their depraved societ didn't end up killing me. Scream with me, NEVER AGAIN

lonlyazn

Gabriel Iglesias, met him in person. Took pics. Just funny and very interactive with the audience.

“There are two tragedies in life. One is to lose your heart's desire. The other is to gain it.”

Aemirys

Woot woot!

My tickets to go see Henry Rollins arrived!

I am one happy camper!
★  O/Os  ★  A/As  ★

Aemirys

Now to just find the funds to buy some tickets to see Tim Minchin!
★  O/Os  ★  A/As  ★

Driskoll

Patrice O'Neal, Kevin Hart and Louis CK. None of these are particularly safe for work, especially the Kevin Hart bit.

Patrice O'Neal Elephant In the Room - Football getting SOFT (TAKE HIS SOCKS!)

Kevin Hart Kids

Louis CK on Bank Fees

Aemirys

★  O/Os  ★  A/As  ★

NightRabbit

Richard Jeni
Richard jeni-red wine & pms

Kevin Hart
Kevin Hart Loses His Shoe A Lot

Pablo Francisco (turn up the volume on this one, it's a bit low)
Pablo Francisco- Huevos

And that's just a few. :)

Divine Drivel

My list would include:

Bill Maher
Alan Carr
- - - I have random episodes of majestic surliness so I combat this phenomenon by mentally fast forwarding to Fridays - - -

Anjasa

No one has been able to top George Carlin for me, though I also really like Dylan Moran.

Callie Del Noire

You know I can't put it to one person. A lot of it depends on the mood I'm in.

KennethNoisewater

I would have to go with Kevin Hart, Daniel Tosh (standup only, not the show), Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, Bill Maher, Richard Pryor

LunarSage

Quote from: KennethNoisewater on February 18, 2012, 09:12:58 PM
Kevin Hart, Daniel Tosh

Those are two names that I was unfamiliar with.  Had to google them.  :-)

Divine Drivel

I have to add Kathy Griffin. She's irreverent and so politically incorrect you can't help but laugh.

Craig Ferguson is also worth mentioning, even though he's technically more of a host than a comedian. He's just so darn funny and energetic.

Billy Crystal has a knack for excellent timing and his dry wit never fails to entertain.

I'll have to look up everyone's list and check those other comedians, too!
- - - I have random episodes of majestic surliness so I combat this phenomenon by mentally fast forwarding to Fridays - - -

KennethNoisewater

Quote from: LunarSage on February 18, 2012, 10:32:32 PM
Those are two names that I was unfamiliar with.  Had to google them.  :-)

The quality of Daniel Tosh has actually gone down.  His older stuff is way better.  Kevin Hart is just absolutely ridiculous and beyond hilarious.