Re: Shadowrun Interest check. (No longer accepting chars.)

Started by Gary Stargazer, March 19, 2012, 04:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyZ

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on March 21, 2012, 12:32:23 AM
Gary, question for the GM.  If a Positive Quality gives bonuses to a skill a character doesn't have, then do they technically have that skill?

Example: The Quality Analytical Mind gives +2 dice to all Software and Data Search tests.  Does that mean that my character has Data Search 2 for purposes of whether or not the character has to default on a Data Search test?

I'm not the GM, but when we played this game before, you'd still have to pay the Default penalty of -1 if you didn't actually have the skill.  Of course, the +2 would mitigate that.

Do we have a rigger right now?  I was thinking that, but if someone else is looking at it, I can keep pondering.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

RubySlippers

Not unless someone makes most of the character framework I really don't get the rules for magic or tech I tried but just its too much. Unless I can do a hacker with no implants or tech in them?  ???

Anyway I will keep this simple a human, no role I'm going to assume right now minimal magic and or tech in her and if the latter it was to correct a medical issue not to make her into a weapon and focus on raw attributes, skills and tech that is easy to just buy. Likely no planned role in fact assume she will be almost anything when over that is not teched to high heaven or loaded with magic powers, I'm not going to stress out she will be what she turns out to be.

Muse

*smiles* 

Ruby, you don't have to have your com link implanted.  Your girl can carry it around and interface with the net directly using 'trodes'.  For less intensive operations she can use ordinary gloves, glasses/contacts, and earbuds. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

RubySlippers

I'm just thinking of her safety, it would be easy to get an energency cut off program to avoid a bad counter if she was not attached to the computer grid.

But that makes it easy.

I'm going to have a daughter of a crime syndicate goodfella type who they helped with medical treatment including boneweaving and some needed basic tech, passive. In return for that she works for the organization and the big boss as a hacker, paid for her work at least but until she pays back the debt she is on the hook and they made sure the implanted tech was not cheap. But they took care of an obligation to save face with their people if they don't take care of the families of members in good standing its bad.

So there will be some tech in her just for roleplaying more and to make her harder to kill, they wanted to protect their pretty and very capable new asset.

But skills and all should be simple and I get the computer tech on its own, she just needs a hellishly good set-up. By the way if she is good enough can she make her own Sins for free, based I assume on her range forging has to be a big part of her work she has to do.

AndyZ

Ruby, here's what I'm going to suggest for you: a physical adept.  A physical adept is someone who has magic, but rather than casting spells, is able to channel that energy through their bodies to do amazing things.

All you have to do is pay 5BP for the Adept quality, then buy the Magic attribute in the same way that you buy the other attributes like Body and Strength.

You then have a number of Power Points equal to your Magic Attribute, and you can buy the powers listed on pages 195 through 197 of the 20th Anniversary core, and 174 through 180 of Street Magic if you have that book.

I imagine you only have the core, so I'll recommend taking Magic 3, taking Improved Reflexes 2 and Kinesics 2.  That'll make you faster than most people and able to do more stuff in combat, and give you more social talents to be able to be more persuasive and intimidating when you want to be.

Edit: Physical Adepts don't work very well if you have implanted tech, though.  So if you have that, you don't want to be an adept.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: AndyZ on March 21, 2012, 12:26:35 PM
Ruby, here's what I'm going to suggest for you: a physical adept.  A physical adept is someone who has magic, but rather than casting spells, is able to channel that energy through their bodies to do amazing things.

All you have to do is pay 5BP for the Adept quality, then buy the Magic attribute in the same way that you buy the other attributes like Body and Strength.

You then have a number of Power Points equal to your Magic Attribute, and you can buy the powers listed on pages 195 through 197 of the 20th Anniversary core, and 174 through 180 of Street Magic if you have that book.

I imagine you only have the core, so I'll recommend taking Magic 3, taking Improved Reflexes 2 and Kinesics 2.  That'll make you faster than most people and able to do more stuff in combat, and give you more social talents to be able to be more persuasive and intimidating when you want to be.

Edit: Physical Adepts don't work very well if you have implanted tech, though.  So if you have that, you don't want to be an adept.

That is what Akiko is.. an Adept. Most of her stuff is focused around social skills. The fun point about Kinestics is two adepts and communicate solely by body language if they both have it. There are ALL sorts of things an Adept can do.  You can be a Samurai type.. gun or swords, you can be a sneak theif or you could be the social predator that Akiko is and far more.

Or it you wannt to mix and match.. you can be a magician adept.. limited magical talents.. and adept powers.

AndyZ

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on March 21, 2012, 12:34:19 PM
That is what Akiko is.. an Adept. Most of her stuff is focused around social skills. The fun point about Kinestics is two adepts and communicate solely by body language if they both have it. There are ALL sorts of things an Adept can do.  You can be a Samurai type.. gun or swords, you can be a sneak theif or you could be the social predator that Akiko is and far more.

Or it you wannt to mix and match.. you can be a magician adept.. limited magical talents.. and adept powers.

Sorry, didn't realize there was already an adept.  I withdraw my suggestion.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: AndyZ on March 21, 2012, 12:35:50 PM
Sorry, didn't realize there was already an adept.  I withdraw my suggestion.

Hey.. if you can help her do it.. a technomancer would make an AMAZING forger.. Show her how to build a forger, device hacker.

Gary Stargazer

To be fair if Akiko is mostly focused on social and Ruby wants to adept at mostly a physical build, I don't see a problem with having two adepts in the party. They are two different creatures at that point anyway, one is basically a social type and the other is a front line type.

One of my party members in the game I ran a few years ago played a martial arts driven adept and he could seriously mess things up at close range.
Official fanboy of Oreo. <3
Allow me to show you how I like to play. <3
I'm not just a member of The Oreo Fan Club, I'm the president.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Gary Stargazer on March 21, 2012, 12:47:49 PM
To be fair if Akiko is mostly focused on social and Ruby wants to adept at mostly a physical build, I don't see a problem with having two adepts in the party. They are two different creatures at that point anyway, one is basically a social type and the other is a front line type.

One of my party members in the game I ran a few years ago played a martial arts driven adept and he could seriously mess things up at close range.

One of my original shadowrun characters (SR 1st edition) was a physical adept called Ronin.. played him for five years. A combat orientated phys ad is a SCARY being and they only get worse with time. Ronin killed more people than cancer it seemed. :D Swords and hand to hand.

AndyZ

I can try.  Right now I'm working on a rigger (both drones and vehicles, so we have a driver)

Ruby, do you have any messenger program screen names you want to give me so that I can help you out without spamming this?

RubySlippers

I have a hacker coming along she works for a Italian Don(ette) of the Mafia a made woman and handles money and informational work as in hacking. But is disabled pretty bad but is a mean as hell cybertech sort not sure what if anything to implant in but she is not a warrior hell walking will be an issue her boneweave was just to keep her skeleton from deteriorating of a chronic disease. But on the Matrix she is very good and a professional forger you need documents or credstix or a new ID she likely can help.

I have 50 BPs left so am mulling over final purchases.

I did buy Dodge but she is not fighter likely she will set-up in a safe location to back up the team when possible. Anyway anyone pisses her off she has ways to get them other than combat in most cases just need to be creative. >:)

AndyZ

I'm working on a rigger, but in my experience in 4e, there's a decent number of folks who either just stay in the car or remain in a safe location.

Do we have any trolls, by the way?  I'll need to alter the vehicle for trolls if we do, so if so, let me know.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: RubySlippers on March 21, 2012, 01:39:33 PM
I have a hacker coming along she works for a Italian Don(ette) of the Mafia a made woman and handles money and informational work as in hacking. But is disabled pretty bad but is a mean as hell cybertech sort not sure what if anything to implant in but she is not a warrior hell walking will be an issue her boneweave was just to keep her skeleton from deteriorating of a chronic disease. But on the Matrix she is very good and a professional forger you need documents or credstix or a new ID she likely can help.

I have 50 BPs left so am mulling over final purchases.

I did buy Dodge but she is not fighter likely she will set-up in a safe location to back up the team when possible. Anyway anyone pisses her off she has ways to get them other than combat in most cases just need to be creative. >:)

A suggestion might be to buy a few false IDs, forged credsticks, or 'tools' if you don't have them already. :D You could also get a desktop fabricator if you got the nuyen. :D That way when you get the skills to build other things later you can program it too build parts.

AndyZ

Okay, minor question for a rule that I forget.  If I have three of the same type of drone, and I want the Clearsight 4 Autosoft, how many times do I have to purchase it?  Is it only once or for all three?  If only once, do I only need it once per each type of drone or just once period?

Edit:  Never mind.  The example has it only purchased once despite multiple types of drones, so that answers that.

Blinkin

Ok, finally working on the street sam. Thank you very much for the help!

Just a teaser (And may yet change)

Name: William "Billy" Bennett
Physical Description:
Billy is the kind of guy that seems to just draw the girls with his crooked, rogueish smile, bright blue eyes and thick, slightly curly dark hair. A wel muscled form that stops short of looking like he actually works at it. A fair skinned complexion tells of his European blood while his accent is pure Seattle. Although he appears to be a good nautred and easy going guy, there is always an aire of contained energy just under the surface; a spring begging to be released with a dangerous, violent eruption.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

RubySlippers

Okay does this sound okay for medical corrective enhancements?

Titanum Bone Weave 1
Muscle Replacement 1
Reaction Enhancers 1
Orthoskin 1
Pain Editor
Sleep Regulator

My idea is the cyber enhancements were to correct a bone degeneration and nerve damage, the orthoskin to support the frame and the editor is for pain from her illness and sleep regulator to help her rest better when she does get sleep. I will add some other things but does this look okay for the base work done?

Callie Del Noire

Might want to talk to the GM.. I think, unless he changes the rules, you're restricted by an availability rating of 12 or lower

AndyZ

I strongly suggest either Wired Reflexes or Synaptic Boosters.  More initiative passes can be great.

As far as Availability 12, though, there's a merit in Runner's Companion called Restricted Gear where you can get a single piece of equipment of up to Availability 20.

Edit: changed "point" to "piece" to provide better clarity.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: AndyZ on March 21, 2012, 02:58:44 PM
I strongly suggest either Wired Reflexes or Synaptic Boosters.  More initiative passes can be great.

As far as Availability 12, though, there's a merit in Runner's Companion called Restricted Gear where you can get a single point of equipment of up to Availability 20.

For ONE time per purchase of the merit.. up to 3 times.

AndyZ

Thanks ^_^ That's what I meant by single point, but I should have said single piece of gear per purchase of the merit.

Callie Del Noire

Don't get me wrong.. it you're needing ONE item for a concept. (like my old Skillchipper idea from 2E) it works. Just be careful how often you do it. BP is pretty limited. :D

AndyZ

Oh yeah.  I took it because Response caps System, and System caps all program ratings and you can't get Response 6 without it.

As we all know, there's never enough points.

Ruby, rereading your stuff, if you're just doing a hacker, you'll want to consider Simsense Booster from Augmentation.  Pages 36 and 37, it gives you an extra initiative pass whenever in VR, whether hot or cold.

RubySlippers

Downloading the companion now to check it out for ideas.

AndyZ

You'll also want to buy the PDF for Unwired, and possibly Arsenal.  Unwired has an awful lot of useful info and mechanics for hackers, and is chock full of fun ideas.