News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

I want to buy new vegas...but sadly I have no money. T_T

*stares at College bank account* Come on...deposit the check already. T_T *flails*

Heaven Sent Blossom

T-Minus 2, maybe 3, hours before I am rocking Vanquish like a freaking hurricane.
I'm going to endure a lot of sassing from my buddies at the games store when I go to pick it up, but I don't care. Mikami is my lord and saviour, he can do no wrong.

Hemingway

I eagerly await a patch for New Vegas. I don't normally notice bugs in games, but crashing to desktop .. well.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on October 22, 2010, 06:48:51 PM
I eagerly await a patch for New Vegas. I don't normally notice bugs in games, but crashing to desktop .. well.
There are console advantages.  :)

I'm playing New Vegas! Nuff said.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Xandria

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself. -Oscar Wilde

Charm is a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question. - Albert Camus

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on October 23, 2010, 11:16:09 AM
There are console advantages.  :)

I'm playing New Vegas! Nuff said.

I have Fallout 3 for the xbox, but got New Vegas for PC. I can't really decide which I prefer.

One thing I'll say is that VATS is a whole lot less, shall we say necessary, on PC. It's still good, but it's actually possible to aim without it. I kinda like that.

Also.

Hardcore mode.

Fuck yeah.

Bentley

I'm replaying the Overlord DLC for Mass Effect 2.

Sabby

Hemmy, your picture is Alan being gangsta...

Nabari

I'm playing New Vegas, and loving it so far.

Hemingway

Quote from: Sabby on October 23, 2010, 01:25:24 PM
Hemmy, your picture is Alan being gangsta...

My name is Alan Wake, and WHERE'S MY CUT?

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on October 23, 2010, 12:50:40 PM
I have Fallout 3 for the xbox, but got New Vegas for PC. I can't really decide which I prefer.

One thing I'll say is that VATS is a whole lot less, shall we say necessary, on PC. It's still good, but it's actually possible to aim without it. I kinda like that.

Also.

Hardcore mode.

Fuck yeah.
I find aiming iron site and with reticule just fine on console. I've never been able to tell the difference between PC and console shooters (modern, not talking Golden Eye for the 64 here) it's just more of that PC propaganda. :)

Hardcore mode: I found it just a pain. It was just like constant slow moving radiation. I was never overburdened by ammo, and the stimpacks and stuff never irked me. It's just for simulation junkies.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

Ok, so I'm playing through New Vegas, and I have to fix a solar array, right? So I go to Helios One for the Spare parts. I fast travel there, go inside, nothing unusual, la di da. But, when I come out to where the solar panels are, I hear this loud clanging like the door opening and shutting a few times. I run forward, then turn around to see what happened.

And there, for some very strange reason, was Old Lady Gibson, fighting off two Mole Rats with her dogs, who, rather than going after the mole rat, now want to kill me. O_o So I kill her dogs, because hey, they were going to kill me. I go back, and she's just Gone. No corpse, no nothing, just gone. Her dogs left corpses, and the mole rats did too, but she just ran off. And of course this pissed off the NCR troopes there. >_> So, I reloaded my save, and go back...and nothing. No Event, No Old Lady fighting off mole rats. Nothing abnormal at all. O_o....Strangest. Glitch. Ever.

GlompNinja

Test Drive Unlimited
Modern Warfare 2
Magna Carta 2
Minecraft
Dragon Age Origins
and
Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows

Hemingway

I'm starting to miss Fallout 3. New Vegas is so incredibly convoluted, half the time I don't even know what I'm doing, or why. I mean, who am I going to side with in the matter of the platinum chip? I don't like any of the options. I'd rather just kick ass with the Brotherhood of Steel.

Rhedyn

*is waiting not so patiently for Fable 3 and playing WoW to pass the time*

Wolfy

Quote from: Hemingway on October 25, 2010, 08:44:15 AM
I'm starting to miss Fallout 3. New Vegas is so incredibly convoluted, half the time I don't even know what I'm doing, or why. I mean, who am I going to side with in the matter of the platinum chip? I don't like any of the options. I'd rather just kick ass with the Brotherhood of Steel.

I say you should just enjoy the Wild Wasteland Trait like I am. ^-^...Aliens and everything, man...Plus you can kill them and take their unique laser rifle.

Brandon

Well Ive been playing New Vegas (except for last night which is our weekly Bad company 2 get together) and I have to say Obsidian seems to release a lot of buggy games. Granted maybe there were some time constraints that didnt allow them to put as much polish into the game as needed before they lost the IP but still. Im seeing a pattern with their games, that being they're almost always buggy but also a ton of fun

Assuming the upcoming patches fix the problems I will be buying it though
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Hemingway

Quote from: Wolfy on October 25, 2010, 08:53:48 AM
I say you should just enjoy the Wild Wasteland Trait like I am. ^-^...Aliens and everything, man...Plus you can kill them and take their unique laser rifle.

Much as I enjoyed the wacky random encounters in Fallout 1 & 2, I think I'll avoid that.

Speaking of weapons, though: Plasma Caster! Seriously, they brought back the old plasma rifle look! Woo!

Heaven Sent Blossom

Quote from: Brandon on October 25, 2010, 09:16:39 AM
Well Ive been playing New Vegas (except for last night which is our weekly Bad company 2 get together) and I have to say Obsidian seems to release a lot of buggy games. Granted maybe there were some time constraints that didnt allow them to put as much polish into the game as needed before they lost the IP but still. Im seeing a pattern with their games, that being they're almost always buggy but also a ton of fun

Assuming the upcoming patches fix the problems I will be buying it though
An awful lot of the problems are just inherent in the engine that Bethesda provided them with. Remember that Fallout 3 was riddled with a lot of bugs (many of them the same that haunt New Vegas funnily enough) when it first released and kept its fair share of problems up until about the fourth round of patches.
I'm not going to be an Obsidian apologist here, there's no excuse to release a game with this kind of memory leak on the CONSOLE version. And the problems in the game that were in the first build of Fallout 3? Inexcusable also. However at the end of the day nobody should be surprised when a dev with the history of Obsidian release a--problematic title when using such shoddy tech as the Bethesda engine they were presented with.
Oh and there's also the small matter of the game being little more than a tarted up Fallout 3 expansion, yet still it demands a full retail price, which is a shame.

So I discovered this weekend that Vanquish lacks any auto aim whatsoever on the real difficulty settings. That pretty much instantly elevates it to the status of greatest console shooter of all time, no question about it. Oh and it's also utterly ridiculous and stupendously difficult. Mikami, once again I salute you sir.

Geeklet

Quote from: Heaven Sent Blossom on October 25, 2010, 01:12:29 PM
Oh and there's also the small matter of the game being little more than a tarted up Fallout 3 expansion, yet still it demands a full retail price, which is a shame.

I disagree. Same look/engine? Yes. But there is enough new content to justify the asking price. I've been playing almost non-stop on my time off from work since the day it was released... still haven't completed one playthrough. Many sidequests active I haven't finished yet. More that I know are out there but haven't discovered in game yet.

This is a full blown sequel in my eyes, not just an expansion.

Hemingway

Quote from: Geeklet on October 25, 2010, 01:50:54 PM
I disagree. Same look/engine? Yes. But there is enough new content to justify the asking price. I've been playing almost non-stop on my time off from work since the day it was released... still haven't completed one playthrough. Many sidequests active I haven't finished yet. More that I know are out there but haven't discovered in game yet.

This is a full blown sequel in my eyes, not just an expansion.

I agree completely, except that it's not technically a sequel. It's easily bigger/longer than Fallout 3 content wise, and, hell, it doesn't even play quite the same way. More emphasis on skills and followers, I guess.

If only the story weren't a bit ... lacking?

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on October 25, 2010, 02:36:54 PM
I agree completely, except that it's not technically a sequel. It's easily bigger/longer than Fallout 3 content wise, and, hell, it doesn't even play quite the same way. More emphasis on skills and followers, I guess.

If only the story weren't a bit ... lacking?
I thought the story was fine. There are basically four main branches to it that I can see. House's, Your's, NCR, and Ceasar's Legion. This is all forecasting from what I can extrapolate but the more you do in it the more fulfillment you'll get out of it. If you just blow through the main story line with no sidequests it's going to seem lacking.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on October 25, 2010, 02:43:06 PM
I thought the story was fine. There are basically four main branches to it that I can see. House's, Your's, NCR, and Ceasar's Legion. This is all forecasting from what I can extrapolate but the more you do in it the more fulfillment you'll get out of it. If you just blow through the main story line with no sidequests it's going to seem lacking.

Problem is that for the first few hours, the story is paper thin. After that, well, you can do the other factions' quests, as I've been doing ( going on 20 hours on my first character now, heh ), but the problem with that is ... I don't feel like doing the main story. I have no desire to help any of the factions, or help myself to power for that matter. Worse than that, too, I can't really tell what effect doing one thing in the main quest is going to have. I'm at a point where I've recovered the chip ( don't get me started on how hard it was to figure out just what to do in the Fort bunker ), but I have no idea what to do next. Or even what my options are. A better explanation would've been sweet.

Right now, I'm basically wandering around, kicking ass. It's great. But I miss the personal and somewhat more focused story of Fallout 3. Moral choices and all that are fine. Plot choices where I don't really feel strongly one way or the other, eh ... not so much.

KikuLei

>:) I'm playing with fashion on Imvu

Sabby

It's not the same without Prime :(