Trump

Started by Vekseid, February 01, 2017, 02:59:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Trevino on December 01, 2017, 09:48:13 PM
Here comes the giant tsunami of shit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx4bDyJpJHQ

That's scary - like a vision of some super-Pompeii eruption-sized mudslide of trash and sewage.

All the things you can do with Minecraft... :D

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Trigon

Quote from: gaggedLouise on December 01, 2017, 11:43:05 PM
That's scary - like a vision of some super-Pompeii eruption-sized mudslide of trash and sewage.

All the things you can do with Minecraft... :D

I think this one came from Cities: Skylines, but yeah. The overflowing swamp at DC eventually has to go somewhere...

Scott

Quote from: Trevino on December 02, 2017, 06:31:41 AM
The GOP has passed the tax cut bill 51-49

Things that make me smile. Time to dust off the ole work boots 'Merica.

(Yeah I know, here comes the E version of the sonic boom of disdane for my opinion in this lovely echo chamber you have here.

RedEve

Quote from: Scott on December 02, 2017, 12:04:08 PM

(Yeah I know, here comes the E version of the sonic boom of disdane for my opinion in this lovely echo chamber you have here.

I guess you are in one of the tax brackets that will benefit from this bill then?
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Regina Minx

Quote from: Scott on December 02, 2017, 12:04:08 PM

MiraMirror

Stepping into a politics thread, celebrating an awful bill (unless you're in the tax brackets that benefit from this, but that doesn't change it from being an awful bill), then saying things akin to "Anyone who doesn't agree with me is just part of the echo chamber" is pretty asinine, in my opinion.  But maybe the reason why there's a so-called "echo chamber" regarding this bill is because it's shitty
On's and Offs -  Please read before asking for a story <3

Scott

Quote from: RedEve on December 02, 2017, 12:09:23 PM
I guess you are in one of the tax brackets that will benefit from this bill then?

Probably not, I think I'm in the 50/60k a year demographic, but if it means more factories and places people can actually get jobs open up, then I'm all for it.

Oniya

More likely it's going to mean continued outsourcing to foreign sweatshops because now the profits will be even higher.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Scott

Quote from: Regina Minx on December 02, 2017, 12:12:39 PM

Really... I'm not the only one who's ever posted an opposing view in here. One post gets jumped on by 30 of you, and then you wonder why the poor poster cant deal with the onslaught of posts and you call it baiting when they leave the thread... Really???

MiraMirror

Quote from: Scott on December 02, 2017, 12:14:32 PM

Probably not, I think I'm in the 50/60k a year demographic, but if it means more factories and places people can actually get jobs open up, then I'm all for it.

This is the part I don't understand.  As it is, it's just pandering to the wealthy, and expanding the gap between those less fortunate and those who are far too fortunate.  It's giving tax breaks to people who don't need more of those, and taking from people who can scarce afford to live as it is.  I don't really think that's going to lead to more jobs.  These people the bill benefits already have the money to build more places, open more jobs, but they want to keep their grubby little hands on all the wealth they have and take more.  This is not a good thing, and I fail to see how it possibly could be, and that's not even counting all the hand-written additions that were made to it last-second.  If that isn't some kind of underhanded, I don't know what is.

Scott

Quote from: Oniya on December 02, 2017, 12:16:21 PM
More likely it's going to mean continued outsourcing to foreign sweatshops because now the profits will be even higher.

I donno, you can see companies expanding, this is actually tangible growth, and the unemployment numbers are really going down.

Mithlomwen

Quote from: Scott on December 02, 2017, 12:17:49 PM
Really... I'm not the only one who's ever posted an opposing view in here. One post gets jumped on by 30 of you, and then you wonder why the poor poster cant deal with the onslaught of posts and you call it baiting when they leave the thread... Really???

Okay, Scott.  You have to stop doing this. 

You drop in this thread, post inflammatory remarks, and then get angry when people start asking you hard questions. 

If all you are going to do is drop in here, drop bait bombs to get everyone stirred up, and then vanish again (until next time), you need to stop posting in P&R. 

Yours is not an opposing view, yours is an opinion bomb, and is no where near arguing in good faith.   

Please stop.
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

RedEve

Quote from: Scott on December 02, 2017, 12:14:32 PM

History has proven that it doesn't work that way.

But you are of course free to believe that this time will be otherwise.

Regina Minx

Quote from: Scott on December 02, 2017, 12:17:49 PM

Posting "This hugely unpopular thing is good!" without elaboration and justification, and then adding a parenthetical remark that anyone who disagrees with this bold assertion is only doing so because of some kind of echo-chamber groupthink is trolling, dude.

Now...if you would like to...I don't know. Elaborate on why the tax bill is a good thing, great. But in the words of Hitchens, "That which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

Scott

Quote from: MiraMirror on December 02, 2017, 12:18:17 PM
This is the part I don't understand.  As it is, it's just pandering to the wealthy, and expanding the gap between those less fortunate and those who are far too fortunate.  It's giving tax breaks to people who don't need more of those, and taking from people who can scarce afford to live as it is.  I don't really think that's going to lead to more jobs.  These people the bill benefits already have the money to build more places, open more jobs, but they want to keep their grubby little hands on all the wealth they have and take more.  This is not a good thing, and I fail to see how it possibly could be, and that's not even counting all the hand-written additions that were made to it last-second.  If that isn't some kind of underhanded, I don't know what is.

They were taxed by previous administrations to the point of stifling growth, growth means the folks you're talking about can get jobs because companies won't be in a hold pattern just trying to survive. There HAS to be rich people. Trickle down economics is the only thing that actually works. Trickle up doesn't because there's nothing to trickle, trickle to the side doesn't work because everything stays flat. There has to be wealthy people.

RedEve

Countless studies have been done about this.

Any serious economist now agrees that tax cuts for the highest earners have little to no effect on GDP growth. There are even some studies which suggest it actually leads to the GDP slightly shrinking.

By contrast, there is a clear correlation between tax cuts for the poorest and GDP growth. Which makes perfect sense on both a macro and micro level. If you give a person with little money a bit more, they are more likely to spend the extra dough than people who already have more money than they could ever hope to spend.

Scott

Quote from: Mithlomwen on December 02, 2017, 12:23:18 PM
Okay, Scott.  You have to stop doing this. 

You drop in this thread, post inflammatory remarks, and then get angry when people start asking you hard questions. 

If all you are going to do is drop in here, drop bait bombs to get everyone stirred up, and then vanish again (until next time), you need to stop posting in P&R. 

Yours is not an opposing view, yours is an opinion bomb, and is no where near arguing in good faith.   

Please stop.

Ok, whatever...

MiraMirror

Quote from: Scott on December 02, 2017, 12:29:45 PM
They were taxed by previous administrations to the point of stifling growth, growth means the folks you're talking about can get jobs because companies won't be in a hold pattern just trying to survive. There HAS to be rich people. Trickle down economics is the only thing that actually works. Trickle up doesn't because there's nothing to trickle, trickle to the side doesn't work because everything stays flat. There has to be wealthy people.

From what I've seen and what I've experienced, trickle-down doesn't even work the way a lot of those who support it claim it does.  Yes, I get that there will always be wealthy people.  It's not necessarily a bad thing to be wealthy.  However, many of those well-known millionaires and billionaires do not help those less fortunate.  Trickle-down seems to work in theory, but it's not an easy thing to go from the bottom to even middle-class.  It's not just that easy to get a job.  People claim that if you can't, you're just not trying hard enough, or that you "just need to pull yourself up by your bootstraps", but it does not work that way.  I've been present for interviews, a fair number of them.  I've seen the difference in how lower wealth bracket folk are treated, and it's disgusting.  Being homeless, or having been homeless before are treated as these disgusting things that often cost people jobs, and it has a tendency to keep the poor or homeless in those situations.

This is nothing more than a cash grab by people whose hands are stuffed to the brim with cash as it is.

RedEve

It's not very hard to see what happened here, the GOPs very wealthy donors demanded a tax cut and got it.

I mean, several senators even admitted to as much.

Fury Aphrodisia

Yeah, I'm not a fan of showing up all hostile and mandating that those who react can only be considered part if a corrupt thought process and exiling all opposing thought. Those who come to argue in good faith are rarely piled upon, even if no agreement is reached. I can think of at least three people I haven't agreed with here in the last week, but it didn't require a doglile.

What people like to point to as evidence is how Elliquiy has a universal lack of tolerance for idiocy and asinine behaviour which might appear to be an echo chamber when an individual comes barging in, poisons the well, deliberately becomes inflammatory and then claims persecution. You're about as persecuted as a puppy at a high school slumber party.

I can't recall ever seeing you before so please don't make yourself out to be one of *THOSE* guys right off the bat, ne?
Fire and Flora - My Ons and Offs  - Updated May 17th '17 ---- Aphrodisia Acedia - (A&A's) - Updated September 9th '17 ---- Sinful Inspirations - Story Ideas - Updated May 17th '17

~I am not the voice of reason: I am the voice of truth. I do not fall gently on hopeful ears. I am strident and abrasive. I do not bend to the convenience of comfort. I am unyeilding. I do not change with wind and whim, but am always standing, unchanging, steady, constant and persevering. You rebuke me when you need me most, yet still I fight. The enemies of truth are everywhere. But I am not defeated.~

Fury Aphrodisia

If you're thinking about it, trickle-down economics CAN'T work.

I am rich person number 53. I don't want for anything. Want a plane? Buy it. Want someone to wash my shoes with a toothbrush? Hire them. I can't spend enough of my money. So I put it in investments, stock options, banks.... I give to charity, but I just get a tax break for it in the end and the same with all my investments.

I cannot spend the money faster than other people's money ends up back in my pocket.

Then I get a tax cut again. You really think I'm going to put it into another company? Why bother when they're all owned by half a dozen corporations anyway? Instead, I start accruing interest because I have two children and want them each to be worth a fortune. And then they have kids, so trust funds for the grand kids. So on and so forth.

But the average person doesn't have access to that. Give them a few extra bucks and they'll spend it immediately because money is so tight they don't have a choice. They have to spend it to even start digging themselves out of crippling debt.

And whose taxes do you think goes to pay for infrastructure, education, etc? The guy making 15K a year and barely making rent, or the guy making a hundred a thousand times that much and buying a new property because hotels are passe?
Fire and Flora - My Ons and Offs  - Updated May 17th '17 ---- Aphrodisia Acedia - (A&A's) - Updated September 9th '17 ---- Sinful Inspirations - Story Ideas - Updated May 17th '17

~I am not the voice of reason: I am the voice of truth. I do not fall gently on hopeful ears. I am strident and abrasive. I do not bend to the convenience of comfort. I am unyeilding. I do not change with wind and whim, but am always standing, unchanging, steady, constant and persevering. You rebuke me when you need me most, yet still I fight. The enemies of truth are everywhere. But I am not defeated.~

Trigon

A cataclysm if there ever was one... Just to survey the wreckage:

-Income inequality will skyrocket
-The budget deficit will explode
-The social safety net will collapse.
-Healthcare in America will collapse
-The legislative process in Congress has collapsed
-The education system will collapse, as will America's leadership in science and technology.
-The rich will get richer...

And this is just the tip of the iceberg, such as the extent of the Trump-Russia connections, the court packing, the fact that Roy Moore is still winning in Alabama, the daily mass shootings, the coming net neutrality repeal, the president  openly brags about being a rapist, contempt for the environment runs rampant, they are still in Afghanistan, the Democrats are too pathetic to resist the GOP, etc.

And to top it all off, the cognitive ability of Trump supporters is so low that they can't even spell.

There are no riots, or large scale protests, or occupations, like you would see in practically every other country...

Really, I am at a loss for words. What else can possibly be said about the state of America today? I guess there is nothing left to do now except to watch it march inexorably towards total economic and societal collapse...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeERupuicHE

Regina Minx

Although I appreciate that you're on a roll here, one point:

Quote from: Trevino on December 02, 2017, 02:28:45 PM
... the Democrats are too pathetic to resist the GOP, etc.

I mean....every single Democrat in the Senate voted against the tax bill. What are you upset about, that they didn't vote NO hard enough?