News:

Main Menu

FINALLY!!

Started by Avi, November 25, 2008, 05:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avi

Finally, the video game critics have owned up and decided that the video game industry should not be blamed for kids getting inappropriate video games.  Instead, they lay the majority of the blame on parents, while giving the video game industry nearly-straight As in regards of their policy.

http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/watchdog-group-praises-games-industry-criticizes-parents/1269202
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

Oniya

Thank goodness!  I never could figure out why someone who would buy their kid something called Grand Theft Auto would complain about the game's content.  It's not as though the title is that deceptive.

Edit:  Or a game like this:  http://videogames.yahoo.com/ps2/playboy-the-mansion/
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Revolverman

Chris Brady

My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

magnamos

This really gives cause for serious concern. It's good that they finally managed to lift up there blindfold at least a little but what made them change there opinion all of a sudden? What has changed in the Video Game Industry? Nothing. They still paint the same rating on the same Video Game Boxes they did years ago. Why is it now worth an A instead of an F all of a sudden?

While I greatly appreciate the insight of truth, I still think that this 'Watchdog' is just a group of bitching moralizers which see thereselfes overburdened with the task to control the multimedia consumption of there children and want to push this responsibility far away. There is not a single word by what criteria they control and things like that. As long as they don't use scientifcly standardized methods and make these methods public for everyone to understand there opinion is worth nothing and barely an indication for anything.

As long as we're managed by self proclaimed experts and people who got into leading position because they can talk cheesy instead of ruling righteous, there is no reason to sigh in relief.

The only thing that changed is that Video Games will be 2nd Place in the Top 10 that let's people go onto a killing spree.

Oniya

Quote from: magnamos on November 26, 2008, 05:09:15 AM
The only thing that changed is that Video Games will be 2nd Place in the Top 10 that let's people go onto a killing spree.

Right after Twinkies?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Avi

Quote from: magnamos on November 26, 2008, 05:09:15 AM
This really gives cause for serious concern. It's good that they finally managed to lift up there blindfold at least a little but what made them change there opinion all of a sudden? What has changed in the Video Game Industry? Nothing. They still paint the same rating on the same Video Game Boxes they did years ago. Why is it now worth an A instead of an F all of a sudden?

While I greatly appreciate the insight of truth, I still think that this 'Watchdog' is just a group of bitching moralizers which see thereselfes overburdened with the task to control the multimedia consumption of there children and want to push this responsibility far away. There is not a single word by what criteria they control and things like that. As long as they don't use scientifcly standardized methods and make these methods public for everyone to understand there opinion is worth nothing and barely an indication for anything.

As long as we're managed by self proclaimed experts and people who got into leading position because they can talk cheesy instead of ruling righteous, there is no reason to sigh in relief.

The reason I shared this article is not because anything the video game industry was doing, but rather because the Institute finally realized you can't hold companies responsible for what un-educated parents do when the ESRB is doing all that it can to get them to pay attention to said rating boxes.
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

RubySlippers

I don't get the problem with the ratings its easy to figure out just like movie ratings, we got my SO's little brother Lego Star Wars (Clone Wars) a nice game for his age level and he loves it. After we ok'd it with his parents. See that is the odd thing you just have to read the label, ask someone in the store if your not sure and maybe play the game then ask the parent(s) if you want to be sure its ok.

Oniya

That's the point that the new 'report card' is making.  The ratings are so easy to figure out, and require such minimal effort on the part of the parents that it's laughable to 'blame the industry' when some ten-year-old asks for and gets GTA or Silent Hill from a parent or other gift-giver. 

These gift-givers just need to wake up and actually look at what they're buying instead of just checking it off of a list.

magnamos

That's exactly what I'm talking about. This chance was there for YEARS totally unused and ignored by everyone. All of a sudden the people scream up and pronounce an incredible improvement but actually nothing changed. That's most suspicious...

Inkidu

Quote from: aviationrox on November 26, 2008, 08:34:41 AM
The reason I shared this article is not because anything the video game industry was doing, but rather because the Institute finally realized you can't hold companies responsible for what un-educated parents do when the ESRB is doing all that it can to get them to pay attention to said rating boxes.
Hey I'm all for the rating system. It was needed. You had kids going into arcades and playing Mortal Kombat with a fist full of quarters. The ESRB is a nice industry self-regulation. I think the new grade is because the newer senators like their all night Halo 3 filibustering sessions in Congress. (Kooky theory for the day.)
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

Quote from: Inkidu on November 30, 2008, 08:06:40 PM
I think the new grade is because the newer senators like their all night Halo 3 filibustering sessions in Congress. (Kooky theory for the day.)

Now there's an interesting way to settle political issues...  ;)

Please, don't let anyone take me seriously.

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on November 30, 2008, 08:41:09 PM
Now there's an interesting way to settle political issues...  ;)

Please, don't let anyone take me seriously.
Too late. They set up a red and blue team deathmatch to finally resolve any quibbles in the future.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

magnamos

Instead of threatening each other with nuclear missiles they just mail each other screenshots of there high level characters with there epic equipment.

[Democrats]Mr.Pr3s1d3nt: Don't you dare to challenge my leadership LordPotatoRod!
[Republicans]LordPotatoRod: STFU! You shall meet my wrath next legislative periode. I got more time to go raiding than you :P
[Democrats]Mr.Pr3s1d3nt: Bringt it N00b. I pwn your votes!

Friendly Clanbattles with a serious carpal tunnel as the only victim instead of a hot war with dozen of dead and mutilated civilians. That would be a dream....

Inkidu

I hate to say it but if our political officials were addicted to MMORPGs that much. We'd be so royally boned.

magnamos

Can't get worse than it already is.
This one goes out to all the americans: You people got the best chances of a bright future with your new president. It's the first politician who seem to know at least a little of what he does.
We, over here in germany, are still stuck with a government that prefers to dig up the mud and peach on there fellow politicians instead of dealing with administrative business. Even more, they claim that germany would be ready to take more responsibility in world politics. Hell we can't even take responsibility for ourselves!

Inkidu

Quote from: magnamos on December 03, 2008, 02:04:32 AM
Can't get worse than it already is.
This one goes out to all the americans: You people got the best chances of a bright future with your new president. It's the first politician who seem to know at least a little of what he does.
We, over here in germany, are still stuck with a government that prefers to dig up the mud and peach on there fellow politicians instead of dealing with administrative business. Even more, they claim that germany would be ready to take more responsibility in world politics. Hell we can't even take responsibility for ourselves!
It can always get worse.