It seems that you can be banned from England for being right wing and opiniated!

Started by Phaia, August 19, 2010, 01:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

All else fails, tell them you're auditioning for the next season of Dr. Who.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lilias

Quote from: Oniya on August 22, 2010, 06:33:44 PM
Going by your picture, you should get through customs fine ;)

Unless the gleam about the eyes, up close, gives him away :P
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Laschia

*Is British*

I remember Michael Savage from a report about him saying controversial things about Autism/Aspergers Syndrome (such as it doesn't exist etc).

I'm not so sure if he should be banned; It's good that the government is making an example of him, yet it's also bad that by banning him they are giving him the attention he craves, like feeding the troll. It's practically his job to be controversial.

dominomask

Quote from: Jude on August 19, 2010, 03:42:29 PM
By the way, his name isn't even savage, it's Weiner.  He changed it because he wanted to be more hardcore.  Thug life, ya'll.

Dipshits reperesent, yo! XD XD

Everything I've ever read or seen about British social policy (which I admit is neither exhaustive or up-to-the-moment) has left me with the impression that their stance on free speech is significantly less militant than the laws and attitudes in America.  Is that correct?  If so, I don't really see any inherent hypocrisy in keeping someone out who clearly gets off on doing everything he can to abuse the protections of free speech, and would have no compunction (and probably some measure of compulsion) toward breaking the law since it would up his dosage of attention.  Even in America, abusive speech is not entirely protected (aggravated assault carries a lesser penalty than assault, for example) and a person who literally lives off of being as abusive as possible to anyone socially vulnerable (picking on families dealing with autism? Talk about the definition of cowardice...) generally has forfeited their right to absolute protection from the consequences of offending people.

The home secretary said something unflattering about him publicly and now he's all upset?  Gosh...that's so...appropriate.

Callie Del Noire

Well I know that over the years some nutjobs have gotten banned (I seem to recall the Phelps family has several names on that list) and it's the right of the English Government to do it. Just like it's the right of the US government to do so to several members of the UK (Ian Paisley for instance, for badmouthing the Carter or Reagan administration. I forget which)