Heads Will Roll [horror/supernatural], game full but wait list spots available

Started by Roo, April 26, 2011, 11:05:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malrunar

Kaisude:  ;D Its a lost art, I think! And while Cori isn't going to be any sort of 'Buffy' character, she certainly isn't helpless or ignorant on how to give the slip. She almost should have been a criminal. I think she's going to be a lot of fun to play.

TheHangedOne

I have a question now. Not counting the people that will be entering play as just having come to the city, would Hunters (like my own Leofwine) who have lived in the city for a long time (in this case, all his life) know or know of each other?
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Roo

Quote from: TheHangedMan on April 27, 2011, 06:47:14 PM
I have a question now. Not counting the people that will be entering play as just having come to the city, would Hunters (like my own Leofwine) who have lived in the city for a long time (in this case, all his life) know or know of each other?

I'll need to discuss this with Rick as well, but I believe we will push for at least an acquaintance. Then within the first few GM posts, we hope to give you a reason to band together, so perhaps you haven't hunted together before, but now you have the motivation to. Probably Otis, since a number of people have worked him into their backstories, will feature somehow. Perhaps he will call the hunters from the area together. I don't want to say more than that though without talking to Rick about this specifically.
"Are you crazy, is that your problem?" -Jack Burton

Reia

Going along with TheHangedMan's question - what about a character that's from outside of the city and just arriving?
[tr][td]

Updated: 03/24/19
[/td][td]
Updated: 06/24/12
[/td][td]
Updated: 07/20/15
[/td][td]
Posted: 11/24/14
[/td][td]
Updated: 03/04/19
[/td][/tr][/table]

Kaisude

Quote from: Yggdrasil on April 27, 2011, 06:38:46 PM
Kaisude:  ;D Its a lost art, I think! And while Cori isn't going to be any sort of 'Buffy' character, she certainly isn't helpless or ignorant on how to give the slip. She almost should have been a criminal. I think she's going to be a lot of fun to play.

I look forward to the interaction between our characters. I look forward to the interaction of all of our characters.

Roo

Quote from: Reia on April 27, 2011, 07:15:22 PM
Going along with TheHangedMan's question - what about a character that's from outside of the city and just arriving?

Rick and I will find a way to get you introduced to/integrated with the group. It will hopefully be exciting and fun.

Reia

Quote from: Roo on April 27, 2011, 07:33:14 PM

Rick and I will find a way to get you introduced to/integrated with the group. It will hopefully be exciting and fun.

Awesome, thanks! I'm very excited about this game. :D
[tr][td]

[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Reia

Quote from: Kaisude on April 27, 2011, 07:31:20 PM
I look forward to the interaction between our characters. I look forward to the interaction of all of our characters.

Ditto!!
[tr][td]

[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Crovonovin

A question.  Seeing as how there seems to be a bit of a lopsided balance between female and male characters, is there any sort of gender restriction?  I ask because the character that I'm diligently working on is also a woman (though perhaps a bit more 'one of the guys' due to her upbringing), and it always pays to ask instead of making assumptions!

rick957

Glad to see so much interest, and new folks popping up too.  :)

Roo and I have never attempted to co-GM anything, so this is something of a learning experience for us; hopefully all the players will be patient as we work out the kinks.  For example, there may be instances where one GM makes a decision assuming the other will be fine with it, and then the other GM turns out to have an unforeseen problem with the decision, so then we have to revoke or revise the decision.  I doubt it will happen often, if at all, but it's good for everyone to be aware that such a situation may come up.  We'll try to avoid it, if at all possible.

As to characters knowing each other prior to the game events:  I think it would be great if there were acquaintances or even relationships between certain characters, but at this early stage, it's best if we simply leave room for those things to be revealed later on, rather than nailing those things down now.  Unless there's a pair of players who know in advance that they will be happy for their characters to be closely involved with each other, we won't know which players will be eager to have their backgrounds intertwined, until we've all had the chance to play with each other for a little while.  Later on, as we get to know each other's characters, we can learn about their past connections to each other.

As to male/female ratio -- if you're putting together a character and feel that you can contribute a type of character that we need more of, such as an extra male or another non-Monster, that would be great.  But by far, the most important thing is that you end up with a character you will enjoy playing.  For the time being, unless we announce otherwise, feel free to make up any kind of character you like (according to the instructions in the first post in this thread).  If the GMs decide we can't take any more of one thing or another, we'll let you know, but right now it's too early to make such restrictions.

Hope that helps!  Looking forward to seeing more cool characters, and more joiners, too, there's still room.  :)

Starlequin

Hm, I'm starting  to suspect I might be missing out here! Perhaps I'll try to generate a CS for this one.
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Esoteric Myobi

-gives happy glomps to familiar faces and waves cheerily at new ones-

After giving it some thought, I can't resist and shall give in to temptation. It seems that I'll finally be participating in one of your games Rick :-)

Am bouncing around ideas for a character...hrm...-ponders-

...I want to be your wet dream, your daydream, your only distraction...
~O/O~A/A~Ideas~Cafe~
Status: Currently have my hands full running Bump in the Night. Always recruiting~!

Roo

Rick and I would be excited to see whatever you come up with, Starlequin and Esoteric Myobi!

Kaisude

Well I offer my character if anyone wishes to have him as an acquaintance or something more. It doesn't matter really eventually we all will end knowing each other on some level or another. 

TheHangedOne

A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Mhina

I made a character. I hope it makes sense. Sorry it's so long.

Name: Abigail Diederich

Character Type: Indoctrinated

Physical description: (working on finding a picture) Abigail is on the short side, standing 5’5 and thin to the point of sometimes appearing frail. She has messy black hair, falling to her shoulders and dark brown eyes. She has the appearance of not sleeping much, with rings under her eyes and a pale complexion. She has no distinguishing characteristics other than a gouge taken out of the arch of her left ear. She appears younger than she is by a few years due to her small size.

Sex: Female

Sexual preference: Male, though it has been a long time since her last sexual encounter and she hasn’t put much thought into her own sex or that of others for quite some time.

Skills: Abigail has spent years training herself in the use of a handgun, which she claims is the new instrument of divine retribution. When necessary and when she can clamp down on her natural persecutory tone she is a skilled and convincing orator, though this is somewhat offset by her disheveled appearance. She has also developed some skill with knives and metal working, stealing silver from holy sites in order to infuse her bullets with more divine power, though this effect may just be in her head.

Personality: Abigail has become difficult to get along with, touchy and suspicious of everyone around her. Her overzealous behavior and lack of focus or a stable mental state make her somewhat unreliable although she usually tries to follow through with her promises when she makes them. She is genuinely kind when talking to other members of her faith, but it takes a long time for her to trust those she sees as outsiders.

Back story: Abigail grew up in a very religious house, hearing stories about the monsters that awaited little girls who didn’t obey their parents and properly recite their verses. Her mother was harsh but never cruel, hoping to give Abigail an example of a strong, devote, and faithful woman to model herself on. In large part she succeeded but as much as Abigail loved her mother she idolized her father, who served as a minister at one of the city’s largest and most well attended churches. Growing up she would spend hours watching him rehearse his sermons, and for years she never missed a single one. As she got older she began to follow in his footsteps, trying to find a way to become as devoted a member of the church as her father.

By the time she was in her teens almost all her spare time was devoted to volunteer work at the church, and she could be found there more often than at home. By this point of course her mother, proud of her daughter’s faith and acknowledging that at a certain point a girl was simply too old to be scared by stories of demons and monsters, had stopped telling them to Abigail. Some small part of Abigail always remembered those stories though, and she always kept them in the back of her mind. As she got older, she began to believe that there were monsters watching her and her family from the shadows and from behind the faces of the unfaithful.

When she was finally old enough to leave home her relationship with her parents had turned somewhat tense. She and her father got into frequent arguments over the scripture and his method of preaching. He maintained that universal acceptance was the solution to the world’s problems, while Abigail, growing increasingly fearful, maintained that the unfaithful were to be avoided at all costs. She believed that a lack of faith merely meant a place for evil to be harbored. She thought that he should be advocating harsher methods and that ultimately it would be an “us versus them” scenario.

Tensions might have continued to rise had it not been for the events leading up to her nineteenth birthday, her first year away from home. She had returned to the house she grew up in that night, expecting a warm welcome and a temporary ceasefire in regards to the disagreements she had with her parents, but had walked into a dark house that stank of sulfur and burning flesh. Abigail tore through the house in a panic desperate to find her parents. All of the things she had feared since her childhood ran through her head, all her fears and warnings seemed confirmed in a single instant as stumbled into the basement, finding the bodies of her parents covered in horrific burns, chunks of their flesh torn from their bodies and the festering wounds sizzling and popping as they corroded. Abigail fled the house then, running to the church where she shut herself up in her father’s wardrobe, sobbing into his vestments. She stayed there for days before thirst drove her out.

It would be a year before she found out that it had indeed been a monster that had killed her parents. During that year what had been left of her sanity had slowly begun to slip away, leaving her with nothing to fill her head with but the teachings of her faith. She vowed to hunt down the beasts that had done this, and any others she could find, in the name of the Almighty. She took up residence in the church until she was thrown out and now spends her time hiding out in any church or holy place she can lie or break her way into. She wears her father’s robes and collar, proclaiming herself his rightful heir and passer of judgement on all creatures of evil.

Aurora Wayland

I must say, I am loving all the characters. I hope we all get to roleplay together. :D

rick957

By the way, I assume everyone interested in joining is keeping an eye on this thread for announcements/questions/discussion etc.?  Great, that's what I figured.  :)

Roo and I are still busy discussing all the great characters that have been submitted so far.  In the meantime, here's some small questions for a few of you.

Question for AndyZ:  Can you help me understand this line in your char sheet?  Maybe I'm being thickheaded.  Or is there a word missing or something?
QuoteIt's rare but not unheard of for someone to see him in one particular form and actually end up seeing an alternate form which they recognize.

Also I could use some help understanding Arathel's physical appearance.  Does he see himself in angel form or human form, or both at different times, or both at once?  What determines whether a viewer sees him as angel or human?  And what determines which of the three human guises are seen?  If your response contains info that you don't want the whole group to know, you can PM rather than replying here.

Question for TheHangedMan:  I like to know pronunciations if I'm going to read a name frequently.  Can you help me with the pronunciations for "Leofwine" and "Leof"?  Do the names rhyme with any other, familiar words, for instance?  I'm guessing "Le-" rhymes with "ice tea" and "honeybee"; and "-of" rhymes with "off," like turning off a light; and "-wine" just rhymes with "wine," like goes well with the chicken.  :)  Am I guessing right, or is one or more of those wrong?

Question for Kaisude:
QuoteHe even fixed a relationship too.

I didn't know what this line was referring to.  Is this line going to be explained later, or did I overlook its meaning somehow, or did you forget to elaborate, or -- ?  :) 

Question for Yggdrasil:  Little help -- what's MCU?  Maybe I missed it.

Question for Mhina:  Does your character wear her father's robes and cloak all the time, or just sometimes, like if she's hunting a monster?

Looking forward to seeing char sheets from the rest of you who have expressed interest. 

Thanks folks!

Kaisude

Rick: That line only implied that Micheal's biggest strength in his life was his ability to fix things. So fixing a relationship was on the list of things he had fixed at one point in his life.

rick957

Cool, that's sorta what I figured.  By the way, Roo PMed you another question, Kaisude, a while ago; if you replied to her already, that's fine, she just hasn't told me your answer yet, but I'll get it from her later.

Kaisude

Roo

Hello All,

So far we have 9 characters under submission and 4 more interested parties. Rick957 and I have decided that this will be enough characters for beginning the game.

So, we have character submissions under consideration with us from the following people: Aurora Wayland, Kaisude, AndyZ, TheHangedMan, abandoneddolly, Reia, Yggdrasil, mrsjaz, and Mhina.

We've heard interest from the following parties: Shihong, Esoteric Myobi, Starlequin, and Odin. If you've posted or PMed either Rick or myself prior to this going up, and I've left you off the interested party list, please let me know ASAP. When you have the chance to think over your character, go ahead and post it here in the thread.

We want to ask anyone else who may be interested in submitting a character to either PM both of us, or to post here and ask to be put on a waiting list. If, after we get the game under way, we have slots open up or we need some fresh blood, so to speak, we will contact people on the waiting list first before we post a general recruitment ad.

Rick and I are busily formulating some specifics in regard to the supernatural elements of the game and constructing some opening posts. We are still discussing characters a little bit, but I am hopeful that we will have firm acceptances/denials of character submissions out to everyone who has submitted thus far in a fairly short time period.

Thanks to all of you for your interest and enthusiasm,

Roo

Mhina

@Rick

I meant to say robes and collar,, since robes and cloak is almost redundant (not quite, but almost). She wears them at all times, whether she's hunting or not.

Malrunar