News:

Main Menu

Cracked on DNA

Started by DarklingAlice, April 28, 2011, 05:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarklingAlice

So yeah, I read Cracked and by in large I am not impressed with their science articles (nor indeed am I that impressed with most any pop-sci). However, the new one at least makes for an entertaining read, and there is a kernel of truth behind some of their claims. But what makes this article in particular catch my interest is how the first entry opens with one of the best explanations of DNA that I have ever seen:
QuoteBack in biology class, you were probably taught that DNA was a sensible, organized system. When they called it "the building blocks of life," you probably pictured DNA as a series of neatly edged Legos snapping together to form a cohesive whole. When in reality, DNA is more like an old scrapbook that someone has torn up, pasted back together, filled with old newspaper clippings about murder and then taken into the bathroom with them.
I'm a molecular biologist and I so approve that message <_<

So take a read and have fun, just remember, never believe Cracked claims without a good primary source.
The 6 Creepiest Things Hiding in Your DNA | Cracked.com

EDIT: Oh, and ignore #2 on their list, that's just them being stupid.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.