I can't see yellow text.

Started by Nachtmahr, February 25, 2015, 06:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nachtmahr

This is sort of a specific problem - But I doubt I'm suffering alone on this one.

The problem I'm having is the yellow color available for spicing up text. Now, I'm not colorblind or anything (At least I'm 95% certain of that) but I simply can't read it. It's just this luminescent line. I can't make out any individual symbols against the bright background of the site. My preferred skin is Beige, but I've tested it on Default as well. I just cannot see it.

This, of course, is a problem whenever I come across a thread where someone has chosen to use said color. I'd never ask anyone to stop doing so altogether, but what I'm wondering is whether or not I'm on my own with this issue, or if it's perhaps a possibility to change the yellow color used to something a little less bright?

I guess that's actually more of a suggestion than a question though, so I'm sorry if I'm bringing that up in the wrong thread.

In case you don't know what I'm talking about, I'm talking about: This color.
~Await the Dawn With Her Kiss of Redemption, My Firebird!~
~You Were the Queen of the Souls of Man Before There Was the Word~

Oniya

You're certainly not the only one.  I've resorted to highlighting the text in question when I come across it.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beguile's Mistress

I sometimes use the Shadow or Glow features in the code lines. 

The bright yellow would show up better on darker backgrounds to adding another shading rather than just changing it would work better.

Thesunmaid

Nope your not color blind..but trying to squint and see that color on a white backround is hard on the eyes. Its sort of like me with dark blue on a black backround. It kills my eyes to look at it. I always have to highlight both of them to be able to read it with out feeling like my eyes are ready to pull out of my head.
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: working on them Current Status for RP:Tentatively looking

Nachtmahr

Quote from: Oniya on February 25, 2015, 06:57:48 PM
You're certainly not the only one.  I've resorted to highlighting the text in question when I come across it.

Well, that's what I've been doing too. White text isn't all that comfortable either of course. I just hate to be that one person going 'I'm sorry.. But I actually can't see your post - It's literally just a bright blur' but.. Well, at times people keep using it, because of course they won't realize you have this issue if you don't say it. And then I feel rude. >.<' (Yes, I'm sometimes a bit too self-conscious)

I think the ideal solution to this problem would be to change it to another yellow that's a bit easier to make out and not quite so.. Harsh? (In lack of a better word.)

Oreo

When it is a whole post in a hard to see color, I just go up and hit one of the other skins so I can read it. Like Thesunmaid I prefer the dark screen and have to adjust for dark on dark colors.

I don't know if these choices work:

Gold | #FFD700
Goldenrod | #DAA520

If they do, you can PM Veks and make a request for the site color to be adjusted. I had to do that for the dark blue used in the Who's Online section. It was a minor color shift, but enough to make it readable.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Nachtmahr

Quote from: Oreo on February 25, 2015, 07:21:55 PM
When it is a whole post in a hard to see color, I just go up and hit one of the other skins so I can read it. Like Thesunmaid I prefer the dark screen and have to adjust for dark on dark colors.

Gold | #FFD700
Goldenrod | #DAA520

If they do, you can PM Veks and make a request for the site color to be adjusted. I had to do that for the dark blue used in the Who's Online section. It was a minor color shift, but enough to make it readable.

The Gondenrod is perfectly fine for me! I can see it coming through just fine on both Default and Beige. Something like that would be perfect. But could I PM him and ask for such a sweeping change? I don't want to annoy anyone else on the site, and I also don't want to waste his time with something relatively mundane. >.<'

Oreo

Quote from: Nachtmahr on February 25, 2015, 07:26:27 PM
The Gondenrod is perfectly fine for me! I can see it coming through just fine on both Default and Beige. Something like that would be perfect. But could I PM him and ask for such a sweeping change? I don't want to annoy anyone else on the site, and I also don't want to waste his time with something relatively mundane. >.<'

Ehh, it was mundane for me to ask for the change in blue, but it was doable. There is no harm in asking. I have no idea if the drop down color choices are something that can be changed, or if they come standard with the site coding.

I know others have mentioned the difficulty before. We have the same problem with the pink. When I use either of those colors I try to put a black highlight behind them to make them legible to those using light skins.

Yellow
Pink

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

Vekseid

Gold | #FFD700
Goldenrod | #DAA520

I can't adjust the colors as they are directly applied to the css. That's why you can use things like #FFD700 instead.

It's really more of an etiquette thing. In the new CMS I had this idea where colors would instead be specified by style, but that's still a long ways off.

Oreo

Thank you Veks. : ) Good to know. and something to look forward to.

Geraint

Gold | #FFD700
Goldenrod | #DAA520

Actually, gold and goldenrod are both HTML standard colors, and can be specified by name here (which is easier to remember than hex code).  I do it frequently with goldenrod in posts.

[color=gold]gold[/color] and [color=goldenrod]goldenrod[/color]

Oreo

Quote from: Geraint on February 25, 2015, 10:45:45 PM
Actually, gold and goldenrod are both HTML standard colors, and can be specified by name here (which is easier to remember than hex code).  I do it frequently with goldenrod in posts.

I left the code in case Veks could alter the site color.

The problem is getting people to use the colors that are visible on both light and dark skins.

AmberStarfire

I know that on another gaming site, the admin had two sets of standard colours. Dark themes used one set and light themes used another. I realised this because I was doing up themes unofficially and I could never quite get them to work right over all other themes, and then I realised - the blue wasn't always the same shade of blue, and so forth. When I asked, it was confirmed.

So I think maybe something like that might be an option. Have two sets.

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: Geraint on February 25, 2015, 10:45:45 PM

Back when I had the time to play with such things I discovered that and would use it with the colors I really liked.  It was a fun project to play with. 

The problem comes up when we try to read things like bright yellow on a light background and I've noticed that some things the writer feels are really important are getting ignored because people can't read them.

Nachtmahr

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on February 28, 2015, 11:40:19 AM
The problem comes up when we try to read things like bright yellow on a light background and I've noticed that some things the writer feels are really important are getting ignored because people can't read them.

I can second that - The reason I started this thread to begin with was because I was looking at a group game I thought looked interesting, but I couldn't read the headlines, and there was a section of links that was all just a big, shiny blur to me. Needless to say, that sort of firsthand impression can be slightly off-putting, and the bad thing about that is that it isn't necessarily the authors fault! The creator might have been able to read it just fine.

I know that's being overly sensitive, but it instantly sparks the mindset of 'Well, if the author likes using yellow text, this is going to be a real issue for me'.