I shudder because of Shudder!

Started by Beorning, July 28, 2015, 06:34:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

... Shudder.com, to be exact  ;)

For those of you that haven't heard, Shudder is a new VOD / streaming site focusing on horror movies. It's currently in Beta and it's possible to apply for an invite and get a 2 months of free access.

I'm tempted to try the site out, but I wonder: the site requires me to set up an account, which includes supplying the site with my credit card or PayPal details. So, it looks like they'd be able to start charging me when the trial period comes to its end. In theory, I could cancel my account before that happens... but the procedure for cancelling the account is "e-mail us". What if I e-mail them, but they start pretending that the e-mail got lost? I've heard of some sites that do that?

Admittedly, Shudder isn't that costly ($4.99 a month), but money's a bit tight for me these days. So, I'm not too keen on the idea of paying them indefinitely...

Overall, what do you think? Does the site sound legit, or should I watch out for trouble?

Tinkertoy

I've actually signed up and it's a great site. Its beautifully laid out and the selection is pretty good. It is just in Beta as you said so there's only just over two hundred and fifty movies on it right now and being a massive horror dork, I have seen a great number of them. Its really nice mix of mainstream, indie, non-American and classics and I am actually quite excited to see what happens as they continue adding to it.

I believe to be as safe as Netflix since it is owned and operated by AMC. The five bucks a month (or fifty a year) is an absolute steal and I am definitely happy to shell out five bucks a month to have this at my disposal. The only crappy thing about it is that it's a US only site at the moment, for those of us who are not in the US there are ways around that with various blockers and add ons and all that fun jazz. BUT for those horrophiles in the US its also available on smart phones and tablets, so...SCORE!

I only wanna be your self-inflicted wound.
It sees you, baby. The friction between me and you.
Show me what makes you human, I'll show you vulnerable.
You bend, you break, you surrender and melt like solid gold.

Tinkertoy

Yep, it is, but I use Hola as an add on on Chrome and it works like a charm

I only wanna be your self-inflicted wound.
It sees you, baby. The friction between me and you.
Show me what makes you human, I'll show you vulnerable.
You bend, you break, you surrender and melt like solid gold.