News:

Main Menu

FIFA World Cup 2014

Started by consortium11, May 12, 2014, 10:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

consortium11

Nike pretty much always do great adverts... although being featured in one immediately before a major tournament normally means the player in question struggles immensely.

Nico

Quote from: GrapeTootsiePop on June 11, 2014, 09:45:23 AM
I don't know if it's related to the World Cup but I found this Nike commercial so awesome. Even though I can't stand Crybaby Ronaldo.

http://youtu.be/3XviR7esUvo
But this body! Damn. :P

Dashenka

It was him or Zlatan.... I'm not really into guys but Ronaldo is more feminine than some girls I've seen. I'd take Imbrahimovic over Ronaldo anytime!
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Phobetor

I just saw this one on my Facebook. I really liked this one too :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_i3Lcjli84
Not Available for new Stories.
Taking a break from E.

consortium11

Considering what's come out about Neymar and his dad I do feel a sudden wave of cynicism at the start of that advert.

Phobetor

Quote from: consortium11 on June 11, 2014, 03:36:09 PM
Considering what's come out about Neymar and his dad I do feel a sudden wave of cynicism at the start of that advert.

Oh I didn't know there was an issue with him and his dad.
Taking a break from E.

consortium11

Quote from: GrapeTootsiePop on June 11, 2014, 03:53:20 PM
Oh I didn't know there was an issue with him and his dad.

Basically his dad was given a massive bribe off-the-books by Barcelona to secure Neymar's signature, the fallout of which led to the resignation of the Barca president.

Phobetor

Quote from: consortium11 on June 11, 2014, 04:03:12 PM
Basically his dad was given a massive bribe off-the-books by Barcelona to secure Neymar's signature, the fallout of which led to the resignation of the Barca president.

Well that was a stupid thing to do
Taking a break from E.

Aleph

Quote from: GrapeTootsiePop on June 11, 2014, 09:45:23 AM
I don't know if it's related to the World Cup but I found this Nike commercial so awesome. Even though I can't stand Crybaby Ronaldo.

Yeah it was one of the first to come out this WC, that's a good'un. Love the typoed stars, the milkman especially :)

Aleph

Quote from: consortium11 on June 11, 2014, 03:36:09 PM

Pff, I see the words 'FIFA' and 'advert' and parts of my brain go into sleep mode in self-defense. I don't really care who's involved. On the other hand, the ads are fun as you get to see people who are good at what they do (footballers, directors) show off for 90 seconds.

Phobetor

Quote from: Remiel on June 11, 2014, 11:23:26 PM
I <3 you, Grape.  ;D

*beams*

*happy dances to We are One*

*Looks at the time...whimpers*

I am so not going to be any good at work today lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGtWWb9emYI
Taking a break from E.

Deamonbane

2 hours till the opening in my team's stadium!*bounces around the room*
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Nico

Enjoy the World Cup, everyone! May the best team win!

consortium11

Quote from: Nicholas on June 12, 2014, 01:14:46 PM
Enjoy the World Cup, everyone! May the best team win!

I hope not... if that's the case England and Russia (my team in the office sweepstake) don't stand a chance...

Nico

Eh, I have two teams to cheer for. All is good. ;D

consortium11

Anyway, I was going to do a full preview/prediction nut sort of run out of energy. Here's the reduced version (teams to go through in bold):

Group A
Brazil
Croatia

Mexico
Cameroon

Brazil are the obvious favorites and should be able to win all of their matches... although if they lose or even draw one there's the risk the crowd will really turn on them. Croatia to nab the second spot after a close run with Mexico; I think the Croatian team (even lacking a few key players) has a bit more to it than Mexico although we'll have to see how they handle the conditions.

Group B
Spain
Chile

Netherlands
Australia

Much like Brazil, Spain are the obvious favorites. I still have the Netherlands as dark horses to do well... but that's on the basis that everything clicks for them and truth be told it very rarely does. Far better Dutch teams have conspired to underperform despite the huge amount of talent available. For that reason I think Chile... a team somewhat lacking in superstars but performing as an excellent team, also one of my dark horses... get the second spot.

Group C
Ivory Coast
Japan

Colombia
Greece

Arguably one of the tightest groups with the least difference between teams... and each team coming in with clear flaws. The Greek side is too defensively, the Ivory Coast has several players four years past their best (and key players nursing injuries), Colombia have had to leave Falcao at home and Japan tend to get bullied in matches. I give the edge to the Ivory Coast (although if Toure is badly injured that could become foolish) with Japan's all around game just about enough to edge out a Colombia team that still has talent but lacks its main strike point.

Group D
Italy
England

Uruguay
Costa Rica

God this is a tight group and pretty much any of the top three could go through in any position. For me Uruguay just miss the cut... I think Suarez is being rushed back a bit quickly and rushed back players rarely perform on the big stage... but Italy aren't what they were and England are... well... England. I think Italy, for all their flaws, are defensively sound enough to get through the group while England are a more well rounded bet than a Uruguay missing one of their key weapons.

Group E
France
Ecuador

Switzerland
Honduras

If France show up and don't riot/go on strike/fall apart their quality should mean they win the group easily. The real debate is over the second spot... Switzerland are arguably a more talented team but I think Ecuador being more used to the conditions gets them over the line.

Group F
Argentina
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Nigerea
Iran

Assuming something dramatic doesn't happen Argentina should win the group at a canter. The second spot seems to be a straight shoot-out between B&H and Nigeria... and I think B&H have enough to beat both Nigeria and Iran to get that second spot.

Group G
Germany
Portugal

Ghana
USA

I think this group is one of the easiest to predict (at least for the two winners)... although that may be a mistake. Germany are a tournament favourite and should win while Portugal are a team with a fair amount of quality and one spectacular player (albeit nursing an injury). Both Ghana and the US can consider themselves somewhat unlucky that they're in a group this strong... in a weaker group they could be looking at a second place spot.

Group H
Belgium
Russia

South Korea
Algeria

Belgium are the hipster choice, packed full of young, exciting talent with some experience to fall back on. Results haven't been great and they've lost one striker already while Lukkaku has joined the ever growing list of players coming in injured but they should still have enough talent to make it through. Russia and South Korea should fight out for the second spot... and I think Russia nick it.

Round of 16

Brazil vs Chile

Possible upset but I think Brazil have enough to beat a hardworking Chilean team.

Ivory Coast vs England

Perhaps I'm being too optimistic here but despite thinking Ivory Coast are dark horses for a serious run, I suspect England have enough to narrowly get through.

France vs Bosnia and Herzegovina

On paper it should be a one-sided French win.

Germany vs Russia

Too much quality in a German team wanting to break the "chokers" tag.

Spain vs Croatia

Croatia are an awkward, well drilled squad but Spain are Spain... it's a struggle to pick against them.

Italy vs Japan

Another chance of an upset here... I'm simply not that sold on Italy... but I'll take the safe option and pick them.

Argentina vs Ecuador

Too much quality in the attack.

Belgium vs Portugal

This could be the match of the second round. I think here youthful exuberance can't quite carry Belgium through against Portugal but this match is pretty close to 50/50.

Quarter Finals

Brazil vs England

Germany vs France

Spain vs Italy

Argentina vs Portugal

Semi Finals

Brazil vs Germany

Spain vs Argentina

Final

Germany vs Spain

Germany break their habit of losing "that one big match", their hoodoo against Spain and become the first European team to win the World Cup on South American soil.

Deamonbane

I am ashamed to say that if Brazil was eliminated in the Semi-finals, there would be rioting here...
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Phobetor

I feel kinda bad because Brasil has such pressure set upon them because they're the host AND because of all the riots. =/ I hope they can hold out cause they really ARE an awesome team.
Taking a break from E.

consortium11

Quote from: Deamonbane on June 12, 2014, 02:17:48 PM
I am ashamed to say that if Brazil was eliminated in the Semi-finals, there would be rioting here...

Unfortunately I have a suspicion that if Brazil lose at all... even in a group match where they go through anyway... they'll be rioting. Frankly, I expect tensions to rise if they even get a draw.

The pressure on the players must be near unimaginable. There's always a huge amount of pressure on Brazil. Then factor in being at home. Then factor in the social issues and tension just below the surface. Frankly, for all the joy of a World Cup in a Brazil, I wish it hadn't come to this.

Deamonbane

That being said.... BRASIL! BRASIL! BRASIL!

A taca to mundo e nossa! Ooooooh! Com os brasileiros, nao ha quem possa!

Phobetor

...holy shit. Marcelo....wow.
Taking a break from E.

gaggedLouise

OMG, the first goal in the Cup turns out to be an own goal slumped in by a Brazilian player for Croatia! Of course the attack was a Croatian one, but it didn't look like that crowded a situation. I wonder what the roar of disapproval at a Rio sports bar sounded like...  ???

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

consortium11

Marcelo was the unfortunate victim of that... the fault lies with Alves (for unsurprisingly being too offensively focused and thus being out of position) and Luis (for not getting in of Jelavic).

Modric with short hair is somewhat disconcerting...

In my longer preview I had this as a banana skin match for Brazil... there's a lot of talent in his Croatian squad.

Phobetor

The Croatia team is ridiculously prepared. And mad props for the goalie because he is doing an excellent job.
Taking a break from E.