Interest check: 20th Century Pulp Pathfinder. Visionaries Wanted.

Started by Ixy, December 30, 2017, 09:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ixy

Quote from: HopeFox on January 17, 2018, 07:27:12 AM
Sounds great! So the drow governance of the Middle East is oppressive and ideological, but there are some humans still involved in the government as well? And most people aren't slaves, just very oppressed citizens?

On the subject of housing, I'm working on my sheet at the moment, and I've taken the Renown and Safe House social talents, which means I'll be able to set up a hideout of 40'x40'x40' or equivalent volume after I've settled in St. Augustine for a week. It's basically a Batcave without all the cool gadgets.

Is there an equivalent trait to Blade of Mercy that I can take while following an Earth religion? It's a very good (maybe too good) trait for people who like swords but don't like killing.

Take it and just change the flavor text some way.

Yes they don't call it slavery in name but... C'mon drow, be real y'all.  It's kind of a... Under the radar severe human rights abuse based on class and education thing.  So far.  Unless they start thinking of genetic superiority... Uh oh. 

HopeFox

Cool! The sheet is going well, linked here. I just need to buy equipment. Am I right in thinking that most armour types are available, for the same costs as usual (US$1 = 1 gp), reflavoured for the setting, and mundane armour won't help against firearms?
If you're such an iconoclast, where were you when we trashed Constantinople?

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=358012.0

Ixy

From earlier:
Quote from: Ixy on January 02, 2018, 11:25:19 PM

Currency:
Right now, all major world economies are using gold, silver, and mithril as standards for currency.  For the campaign setting, the prices below are fixed to the monetary value of the gold standard where 1 dollar = 1 "Gold Piece" on the chart... this is a measure of exchange currency, of course, managed in treasuries by country.  The US recognizes only US currency officially, but there are plenty of vendors will gladly-- GLADLY-- barter for Golarion coins of silver, copper, gold, jewels, or any other goods they can get their hands on.  This results in a lot of forgery and counterfeiting, and producers of such are prosecuted heavily. 

Actual pieces of Golarion gold must be assessed for individual value, but as long as they're at an accepted standard of at least 90% purity they bring in about $1.50 per gram of weight in proper currency exchange.  Minus expenses and tarriffs.  Minus taxes.  Rounded down.  To give you an idea, most gold pieces are about 3 or 4 grams, meaning a GP is supposed to be worth about $5 in exchange.

Equipment:
*Costs modified (my best attempt) to 1920s prices and antique weapons
*Basic references: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/weapons/firearms/ and http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/weapons/firearms/modern-firearms/
*Firearms of small or medium size range may be used by a medium sized creature at no penalty.
*Firearms target touch AC vs. most armor. 
**Magical armor with a deflection bonus, missile deflection, impervious, or similar effects (see DM) is effective vs. firearms. 
**Armor designed to stop bullets by mundane means is under development and may be considered in the story.  Dwarves love-- and hate-- guns.

One-Handed FirearmsCostDmg (S)Dmg (M)CriticalRange  MisfireCapacityWeightTypeSpecial
Antique Derringer$101d4-x45 ft.1-2 (5 ft.)    22 lbs.B and P   Conceal
Pepperbox$151d41d6×420 ft.1–2 (5 ft.)65 lbs.B and P
Revolver$351d61d8×420 ft.164 lbs.B and P
Semiautomatic$45-1d8x420ft175 lbsB and P__

(Two-Handed FirearmsCostDmg (S)Dmg (M)CriticalRangeMisfireCapacityWeightTypeSpecial
Rifle$401d81d10×480 ft1112 lbsB and P
Rifle, repeater$801d81d10×480 ft19 to 1216 lbs.B and P
Shotgun$451d61d8×220 ft.1–2112 lbsB and Pscatter
Shotgun, double-barreled$501d61d8×220 ft.1–2215 lbs.B and Pscatter
Flamethrower, Lawrence 1917$120*4d6620 lbs.   > Fire>black market
Fuel tank$1240 lbs.black market
Light machine gun, Madsen$160*__2d6x4100 ft.1–220, 30, or 4020, 22, or 24B and PAutomatic
Light machine gun, Thompson$200__2d6x450 ft.1-220 or 100*20 or 36B and PAutomatic

GearCostWeight  Effect
Bayonet, socket$5 (installed)1Adds melee option (pike)
Gas mask$41Resist gas/acid (Requires canister)
Gas mask canister$111 hr
Scope$61All range increments +1, lowest range increment becomes -10 to hit
Headlamp$22   Like miner's lamp in adventuring gear
Torch(Flashlight)$21.5
Drycell Batteries$114 hours electric light
Matches$0.02-A whole box of tindertwigs.  Fuck you alchemy.
Gasoline$.216A gallon of gas, minus container.
Automobile: Economy$5002000
Easily fixable, common parts.  Model A's new this year!  Automobile: Luxury$2000+2700
Automobile: Special-Purpose $1200   2400   Faster or more room
Truck$14003000Cargo not included
BusFuck who needs a bus
Camera w/film$32Kodak Box (Brownie)House   $7500-
Apartment (rent)$2/wk - $5/wk

Additional tidbits:
It cost fifty cents to get into the Savoy Ballroom
A steak sandwich at the Cotton Club cost $1.25
You could buy a record for $0.39
A raccoon coat would set you back $39.50
A console radio was $72.50
A man's suit (Coat, Vest, 2 Pr. Pants) was $15.85
For educated guesstimate purposes, I made a couple more formula:
-Railway fare is about $1 per hour it would take to drive by interstate today, and takes 200% that time
-Bus fare about $0.50 per hour it would take to drive by interstate today, and takes 300% that time, major cities less
This is also handy: An inflation converter

Magic Items:
* Magical Item conversion: Most magical and alchemical items are -not- available yet.  The most common items are at a premium and each requires government licensing.and approval.  White-Market Cost post licensing will be equivalent to about $5 per Golarion GP.  Yes.  That means a +1 dagger costs a member of the elite of American society over $10,000-- equivalent to the cost of about $135,000 today. 
* Magical items obtained in this way are usually just curiosities... animated paintings, prestidigitation's, home protections, etc.  A reliable, trustworthy artificer-- even a meager one-- who makes friends with a powerful, rich family on Earth is guaranteed to have just about anything they could desire.
* Gray-Market magic items are a much easier option.  You can get used magic items by being affiliated with a government agency for use in official business or, in some cases, on indefinite loan.  If so, these count against your wealth at a rate of $1/GP.
* Black-Market enchantment: You can potentially pay someone to enchant items for you.  Doing so is highly illegal and the going rate is about $2 per GP of enchantment (this, of course, depends on your relationship with the enchanter).  Many of these enchantments are unreliable.  Some are even self-destructive... sneaky bastards.
**Any unlicensed or black-market magic items will be confiscated immediately if located by the police.

All this is still up for discussion.

HopeFox

Okay, I think my sheet is done! I included a few extra items that weren't in your list or in the SRD. Let me know if they're okay!

• Bullets in Pathfinder cost 1 gp each. This is reasonable given the cost and rarity of firearms in Golarion, but $1 per bullet seems very high for 1927. I found some old catalogues online that suggested that retailers sell bullets for a little under $100 per 1,000 bullets, so would 10 bullets per dollar be reasonable for this game? 60 Pathfinder bullets weigh 1 pound.
  • $10 for a pair of binoculars, weighing 2 pounds, roughly the cost and weight of two rifle scopes
  • $2 for a nice reporter-style notebook and as many pencils as I'll ever need, with no weight to speak of
  • A prayer mat for $1, weighing 3 pounds

Her appearance trait is "Fearsome passion", for +2 Intimidate. Fatemeh can become very intense when she's talking about freedom and human rights, and the Lady in Black is just all-around scary.

I haven't bought her any kind of accommodation or lifestyle, because she's just getting into town at the start of the game, but she has a fair bit of loose cash she can use to get settled.
If you're such an iconoclast, where were you when we trashed Constantinople?

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=358012.0

Ixy

Quote from: HopeFox on January 19, 2018, 07:30:30 AM
Okay, I think my sheet is done! I included a few extra items that weren't in your list or in the SRD. Let me know if they're okay!

• Bullets in Pathfinder cost 1 gp each. This is reasonable given the cost and rarity of firearms in Golarion, but $1 per bullet seems very high for 1927. I found some old catalogues online that suggested that retailers sell bullets for a little under $100 per 1,000 bullets, so would 10 bullets per dollar be reasonable for this game? 60 Pathfinder bullets weigh 1 pound.
  • $10 for a pair of binoculars, weighing 2 pounds, roughly the cost and weight of two rifle scopes
  • $2 for a nice reporter-style notebook and as many pencils as I'll ever need, with no weight to speak of
  • A prayer mat for $1, weighing 3 pounds

Her appearance trait is "Fearsome passion", for +2 Intimidate. Fatemeh can become very intense when she's talking about freedom and human rights, and the Lady in Black is just all-around scary.

I haven't bought her any kind of accommodation or lifestyle, because she's just getting into town at the start of the game, but she has a fair bit of loose cash she can use to get settled.

So far so good, minor exceptions...
A leather bound notebook with fountain might be that much but a regular pad and pencil could run a dime.
Bullets... It depends. $5 for a box of 50 is safe, and for a Small caliber, let's just say that 30 weighs 1 lb.  High caliber/large rifle weigh 20/lb. 

Ixy

The IC Thread is up: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=281804.0

Please post your characters and other questions here:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=281805.0

I'm eager to see what you all come up with.  Please add bookmarks and let's enjoy :)