Lamentations of the Gingerbread Princess (OSR Horror Comedy Weird Fantasy)

Started by corvusul86, October 14, 2017, 04:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corvusul86

Return the Halflings!
The Great Marches stretch from the northern border of the Kingdom of Albion to the Gray Spires far to the north.  It is a borderland at the edge of the wilderness, where tiny kingdoms and isolated communities struggle to make their own way in the world.  Some, like Pembrooktonshire, flourish despite their rugged surroundings.  Others… not so much.

The tiny Kingdom of Connolly has stood for four short generations.  The entire 'kingdom' consists of several tiny farming hamlets, with a total population of less than two thousand god fearing human peasants.  Until a week ago Conolly also had the largest independent halfling community in the north, with almost five hundred industrious, furry footed workers producing apple brandy and fine butter for sale even beyond the meager borders of the kingdom.

Life was hard in Connolly, and in time the human peasants came to blame their small, more successful neighbors for their problems.  They were accused of thievery, foul practices, bestiality, and curdling goat milk.  More importantly, King Connolly the Fourth hated their beady little eyes, and so the Second Great Halfling Pogrom began.  A week later their holes had been burned, and they were driven from their apple orchards into the Dark Forest to the north.

King Connolly may have been dim, but he quickly realized that his inbred peasants were too daft and unskilled to produce the fine goods the halflings had, even with their stolen tools and orchards.  Fine goods that had once been the majority of his tax revenue.  In desperation he has sent out a call for adventurers; he is willing to offer 1000 silver to anyone who returns the halflings to their homes.

This is one of my all time favorite RPG adventures.  I ran it a few years ago in PnP, and I'm curious to see what the E community makes of it.  The game will be using the Lamentations of the Flame Princess system, available for free here: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/115059/LotFP-Rules--Magic-Free-Version?manufacturers_id=2795

This is a fairly short, stand alone scenario, but if we enjoy it I'm prepared to run more adventures with the same characters (well... any survivors).

Given the nature of the scenario, no halfling adventurers please, but anything else from the main book is available.  This adventure is a darkly comedic horror story, and will be posted in Extreme Small Group.

corvusul86

Glad to hear it  :-)

Any thoughts on what kind of character you'd like to play?  If you aren't familiar with LotFP, it's pretty much a classic B/X style D&D with a few odd quirks.  Mechanics are fairly light (much more so than, say, Pathfinder), so the important thing is having an interesting character in mind.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

eBadger

Not familiar with the system, but intrigued.  What sort of tone do you want?  And I'm not clear on the mission.  Are we enticing the gal flings home or rounding up slave workers? 

corvusul86

The tone of the Adventure is Horror mixed with Dark Comedy.  Lots of really, really bad things are going on, but the audience watching the movie version at home would laugh at some of it even though the characters wouldn't.  Make serious characters rather than parody ones, but while very dark in parts the tone won't be super grim.

As for the halfing retrieval, they are going to be given their homes back, so they don't need to be rounded up like slaves.  On the other hand, the King and the human citizens don't like them, so if you drag them back in chains nobody will care (well, the halfings would, but you'd still get your 1000 silver).  The Adventure makes no assumptions about how you plan to retrieve them, but they aren't being pressed into slavery when you take them back, so you don't have to be evil people.  Honestly, times are rough, and non-humans aren't usually treated well anywhere, so bringing them back to be second class citizens is kinder than letting them wander the forests hoping to find a new home.

LotFP is pretty simple, and I'm planning on keeping the rules out of the way whenever possible.  Mostly the dice will stay out of it unless you get into fights or similar, and those likely won't be terribly common.  The PDF is a free download, but if you've had any experience with old school D&D you probably won't need to worry about it much other than for character creation, and I can help you with any questions you may have.

Also, as far as sex is concerned... this adventure isn't heavily sexualized, but being a LotFP Adventure, there's actually a random wilderness encounter table that includes a magical orgy on it, so... things can happen even outside of in party antics.

Vonandi

Quote from: corvusul86 on October 14, 2017, 07:58:26 PM
Glad to hear it  :-)

Any thoughts on what kind of character you'd like to play?  If you aren't familiar with LotFP, it's pretty much a classic B/X style D&D with a few odd quirks.  Mechanics are fairly light (much more so than, say, Pathfinder), so the important thing is having an interesting character in mind.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

I actually own a psychical copy of the rules and magic book, It's been something I've been wanting to try out for a while. Not quite sure who I'd like to play yet, I'm usually pretty partial to thieves and the like, but I'm going to take some time to look over the rules and see if I can't come up with something a bit more solid.

corvusul86

Sounds good -- the Expert is a very interesting take on the thief-type.  They can be an actual D&D style thief, or you can make them an expert in a variety of different activities.

corvusul86

There hasn't been much interest in my post, but just in case anyone wants to play this, I'll post a character form.  If I you are interested please post a character, and if I get enough I'll run the game:

[b]Name[/b]
[b]Sexuality[/b]
[b]Class[/b]
[b]Description[/b]
[b]Personality[/b]
[b]Background[/b]
[b]Ons/Offs[/b]

Here's a character sheet for posting your actual character with mechanics.  You don't need to have this step done to express interest, although it'll obviously be needed for play.  Feel free to customize it as you desire.  For dice rolls at character creation, I'll use the honor system, so feel free to roll stats outside of the E dice roller.

[b]Name[/b]
[b]Class[/b]
[b]Alignment[/b]
[b]XP[/b] 0/
[hr]
[b]Str[/b] () [b]Dex[/b] () [b]Con[/b] () [b]Int[/b] () [b]Wis[/b] () [b]Cha[/b] ()
[b]HP[/b] /
[b]AC[/b]
[b]Melee Attack[/b]   [b]Ranged Attack[/b]
[b]Paralyze[/b] [b]Poison[/b] [b]Breath[/b] [b]Device[/b] [b]Magic[/b]
[hr]
[b]Abilities[/b]

[hr]
[b]Equipment[/b]