Mendella effect

Started by mannik, April 24, 2017, 10:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prosak

People remembering one thing while others remember another? That sounds like human memory in a but  nut shell to me Lol. :P .  Edit: (Sorry Auto correct did the but :P )

I don't take movie qoates into consideration, it is possible that it can be the Mandela effect. But it is just as possible for it to be bad memory and the spreading of that misinformation causing the bad qoute. You can never know. Only credible events such as a mass amount of people believing somebody died should be taken as credible evidence. There is to much against a miss quote for it to be considered evidence. To much doubt to it's legitimacy. It may as well be just considered circumstantial evidence.

Various

It has nothing to do with CERN. Such an assertion is foolish. Nelson Mandela DID die in prison in the 1980s, it's just at some point in the 1990s, F.W. de Klerk, beset with guilt, went back in time and changed history so that Mandela not only lived but went on to become the first freely elected president of South Africa. Because of this manipulation of the space time continuum, a few people still remember history as it truly was. THIS is what had a ripple effect, not CERN.

[tr]
[td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Skynet

One of the things I don't like about the Mandella Effect is that an alternate history of Mandella never becoming leader of South Africa and a prominent anti-apartheid voice as a result would be a cool setting to explore. But looking up historical What-Ifs always brings me back to folks talking about alternate realities and all that jazz.

Sirian Eve

I watched a lecture by Dr. Phil Valentine talking about this. Then  I just looked some things  up and realized, yup something doesn't add up.

Jiffy peanut butter indeed.

CURRENT STATUS: Posting 8/26

Drake Valentine

Well, there are a few things I remember that are different in history now.

The prime one is involving the Pentagon during 9/11. From my prior memory, I recall that the jet liner never even hit the pentagon; no one in it(Pentagon) ever died. Now it says there is 125 fatalities within the Pentagon. Not just me, but several people I know I talked to and they remember similar(on the no death Pentagon thing.)

Another memory is how Houdini died. I recalled that he drowned to death in a fail escape attempt; but apparently he died from a strength test? (What?)

I also remember something quite different involving Al Capone. In this History it says he died in prison. That never happened, he was shot to death near a cinema in Chicago.  I remember this cause I did a report on it a long time ago in school; of course where it is now or if it even exists is another question with changing timelines; or me and many others got whisked away in alternative universe.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Valerian

Quote from: Drake Valentine on August 03, 2017, 08:00:49 AM
Another memory is how Houdini died. I recalled that he drowned to death in a fail escape attempt; but apparently he died from a strength test? (What?)

Houdini used to invite men to hit him in the stomach to prove how tough he was, since he would react very little, if at all, to the punches.  On one occasion, though, he was telling someone about the punch trick and the man hit him instantly, before Houdini had a chance to brace himself as he usually did.  Supposedly, this caused his appendix to rupture and he later died of peritonitis, though there is disagreement as to whether or not the blow was directly responsible.

About the rest I can't really comment, because so far I seem to remember everything the way it officially happened for some reason.   ::)
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

mannik

Quote from: Valerian on August 03, 2017, 10:30:01 AM
Houdini used to invite men to hit him in the stomach to prove how tough he was, since he would react very little, if at all, to the punches.  On one occasion, though, he was telling someone about the punch trick and the man hit him instantly, before Houdini had a chance to brace himself as he usually did.  Supposedly, this caused his appendix to rupture and he later died of peritonitis, though there is disagreement as to whether or not the blow was directly responsible.

About the rest I can't really comment, because so far I seem to remember everything the way it officially happened for some reason.   ::)

Ah, good old iron body technique. Wasn't aware Houdini knew kung fu. :P

But yeah, I seem to remember him drowning attempting the inverted water escape (ankles bound to the top of a tank with him suspended upside down in a straight jacket. That's supposedly why the trick is so damned famous. But one thing I can say about magicians in general...you can't really trust a damned thing they say or claim, especially about the tricks they are about to perform.

They often describe that trick as the one that killed Houdini....then do it without any problem.

Oniya

Quote from: mannik on August 03, 2017, 02:35:12 PM
Ah, good old iron body technique. Wasn't aware Houdini knew kung fu. :P

But yeah, I seem to remember him drowning attempting the inverted water escape (ankles bound to the top of a tank with him suspended upside down in a straight jacket. That's supposedly why the trick is so damned famous. But one thing I can say about magicians in general...you can't really trust a damned thing they say or claim, especially about the tricks they are about to perform.

They often describe that trick as the one that killed Houdini....then do it without any problem.

Funny - https://www.thegreatharryhoudini.com/watertorture.html
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Drake Valentine

Few others I found from compiled list, only listing ones I recall. List can be found here, maybe some will notice others that I wasn't too familiar with/sure on. And there are probably other web lists out there. https://www.reddit.com/r/MandelaEffect/comments/4kba52/ill_constantly_update_a_list_for_you_guys_to/

(Cleaning Product name change.)Febreeze/Febreze
(Cleaning Product name change.)Oxy Clean/Oxi Clean
(Celebrity Actor name change.)Nicholas Cage/Nicolas Cage
(Cereal name change.)Fruit Loops/Froot Loops
(T.V Show name change.)Merry Melodies/Merrie Melodies
(Movie Quote change.)"Luke, I am your father."/"No, I am your father."
(Movie Quote change.)"Do you feel lucky? Well do you punk?"/"Do I feel lucky? Well do you punk?"
(Movie Quote change.)"If you build it, they will come."/"If you build it, he will come."
(Movie Quote change.)"Mrs. Robinson, are you trying to seduce me?"/"Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me. Aren't you?
(Movie Quote change.)"Fly my pretties."/"Fly! Fly! Fly!"
("Made Up" Movie Quote.)"Beam me up Scotty" isn't actually said in Star Trek.
(Movie Quote change.)"Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?"/"Magic mirror on the wall, who is the fairest one of all?"
(New Geography.)Some don't remember the Southern Ocean
(Fictional Character name change.)Smokey The Bear/Smokey Bear
(Store name change.)Home Depot/The Home Depot
(New T.V Shows.)You might remember The Brady Bunch, but some don't remember The Brady Brides, The Bradys, The Brady Bunch Variety Hour, and The Brady Kids Cartoon existing.
(Real Life Quote change.)"Houston, we have a problem."/"Houston, we've had a problem."
(Soft drink name change.)Mellow Yellow/Mello Yello
(Gum name change.)Double Bubble/Dubble Bubble
(Spelling change.)Cemetary/Cemetery
(History change.)The Lindbergh was actually found dead 3 weeks after the kidnapping even though some say the Lindbergh baby was never found.
(Fictional Character Appearance change.)Many never remembered C3P0 having a silver leg.
(Song Lyrics change.)"It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood."/"It's a beautiful day in this neighborhood."
(T.V Show name change.)Sex In The City/Sex And The City
(Fictional Character Appearance change.)Curious George doesn't have a tail, but some remembered him having one.
(Food Product name change.)Jiffy Peanut Butter/Jif Peanut Butter
(Cleaning Product name change.)Draino/Drano
(Cereal name change.)Captain Crunch/Cap'n Crunch
(Geography change.)The Bermuda Triangle is much closer to the shore than people remember it being.
(Geography change.)The Statue of Liberty is closer to the New Jersey shore than the New York shore.
(Famous War Criminal Appearance change.)Hitler's eye color changed from brown to blue according to some people.
(History change.)There's always been a 1942 bombing of Oregon people don't remember existing.
(History change.)Some have no clue what the Toledo War is.
(Movie Quote change.)"We're gonna need a bigger boat."/"You're gonna need a bigger boat."
(History change.)Tank man wasn't crushed, he actually survived.
(Movie Scene change.)Ending to Charlie Brown Great Pumpkin where they see the Great Pumpkin rise/They see Snoopy's shadow.
(Geography that doesn't exist.) Arctica exists now./Arctica doesn't exist.
(T.V Show name change.)Mr Rodger's Neighborhood/Mr Roger's Neighborhood
(History change.)Some people remember Thomas Moore being president.
(Anatomy change.)Heart is closer to center while some recall it on the left.
(Anatomy change.)The rib cage is smaller and higher than people remember.
(Movie Quote change.)"So, this is how democracy dies?"/"So, this is how liberty dies?"
(Cereal Logo change.)Kellogg's logo no longer has rooster head.
(Event Date change.)Thanksgiving is later in November than before.
(Movie change.)The Childlike Empress is now never mentioned in The Neverending Story.(Except at the end in the credits, people claim to have heard her mentioned in the movie itself, not just the credits.)
(Movie Quote change.)"Wherever shall I go? Whatever shall I do?"/"Where shall I go? What shall I do?"
(Earth or space change.)Sun gives off what people call a whiter more artificial looking light than the yellow light they remember.

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)

Oniya

To be fair, the 'Bermuda Triangle' isn't precisely defined.  You'll hear that it's got one point 'on' Bermuda, but any disappearance in that general region of the Atlantic gets attributed to 'The Triangle'.

(I think Charles Berlitz also proposed that there were 11 other 'triangles' located roughly at the points of an inscribed icosahedron, including the North and South polar regions, and an area in the Sea of Japan.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Drake Valentine

Sirian Eve

Interview with a Vampire is now Interview with the Vampire.

I was digging around in my basement yesterday to look for things to donate. I found an old dream journal which referred to the movie and it also says Interview with a Vampire.

CURRENT STATUS: Posting 8/26

Cookie

O/Os
Availability: Back, active and looking for something.

Fury Aphrodisia

In fairness, a lot of the changes are very superficial and can be considered as rebranding (Febreeze), reprinting (Interview with the Vampire) or just plain old mistakes (Field of Dreams actually says "If you build it, they will come" and then "If you build it, he will come", at one point he believed it was about a particular dude played by Earl Jones, another time they thought it might be his father... they was both the Ray Liotta team and another time it was about the people who would come in droves as prophesied by Jones in terms of keeping the farm alive, etc). Misquotes and repetitions and such can be what contributes to a whole mess of the problems listed as being part of the Mandela effect. And some things are just us learning better or having better news at our fingertips than before, and frankly with the disparity in education between U.S. states, the pre-internet crowd can't really afford to be too precious about what they've learned.

Nobody wants this to be true more than me, I promise, since it would be a whole lot of fun to explore what this means for the definition of human experience, life, consciousness, possibilities and that one stupid Jet Li movie I never could make myself forget so long after I first watched it (and not Romeo Must Die like -I- voted for). The reality of the matter is, though, that there are precious few examples of the Mandela Effect that can't be reasonably explained by gaps in memory, gaps in knowledge and miscommunication as well as the fact that some things (like logos and brand names) are subject to change without anyone noticing and they're not really preserved for posterity because, honestly, who has old cans of Febreeze sitting around and isn't slated to be featured on Hoarders?

While the implications would be fantastic to write about and there is a slew of other "proof" that exists in the world, there are just too many holes in an already flimsy hypothesis for me to believe that it has any merit beyond fodder for conspiracy theorists (Even though the Sinbad/Shaq thing still bothers me, yeah, I swear I saw the original but despite a few stills being absolutely clear in my mind, I can't remember key components of it). Now, if someone could bring me evidence that could hold its own without any propping up by other supposed-"proof", I'd be willing to look for a cause. As it is now? I've gotta go with heavy skepticism.

On the other hand, if anyone wants to write a story about it, now THAT I'm down for.
Fire and Flora - My Ons and Offs  - Updated May 17th '17 ---- Aphrodisia Acedia - (A&A's) - Updated September 9th '17 ---- Sinful Inspirations - Story Ideas - Updated May 17th '17

~I am not the voice of reason: I am the voice of truth. I do not fall gently on hopeful ears. I am strident and abrasive. I do not bend to the convenience of comfort. I am unyeilding. I do not change with wind and whim, but am always standing, unchanging, steady, constant and persevering. You rebuke me when you need me most, yet still I fight. The enemies of truth are everywhere. But I am not defeated.~

Drake Valentine

There are geographical changes. Japan has apparently moved, I never recall it being that far up near Russia. The old Japan used to be a bit further down. Also Iceland(think it is called, the one close to Australia?) has moved down. It used to be up in the right corner from Aussie, not below it in the bottom right, but on every map I look at it has changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ur6AMJgBQU

Valerian

Quote from: Drake Valentine on August 07, 2017, 08:31:09 AM
There are geographical changes. Japan has apparently moved, I never recall it being that far up near Russia. The old Japan used to be a bit further down. Also Iceland(think it is called, the one close to Australia?) has moved down. It used to be up in the right corner from Aussie, not below it in the bottom right, but on every map I look at it has changed.

That's most likely because there are several different ways of mapping, and each of them is going to produce a slightly different-looking map.  Since you're projecting a three-dimensional object onto a two-dimensional piece of paper, there will always be errors and distortions compared to globes.  Sometimes some types of map are more popular and sometimes others become more trendy, so maps printed in different years are bound to look slightly different.

And it's New Zealand near Australia, not Iceland.  ;)
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Drake Valentine

Quote from: Valerian on August 07, 2017, 08:41:00 AM
That's most likely because there are several different ways of mapping, and each of them is going to produce a slightly different-looking map.  Since you're projecting a three-dimensional object onto a two-dimensional piece of paper, there will always be errors and distortions compared to globes.  Sometimes some types of map are more popular and sometimes others become more trendy, so maps printed in different years are bound to look slightly different.

And it's New Zealand near Australia, not Iceland.  ;)

No, I am saying every map is the same now, not how I remember it. Even Japan from before on maps I recall was placed different, but now it doesn't look that way on almost any map I googled; even older ones. The same with the mention NZ. Japan has never been that far north, it has never been that close to Russia.  Japan was further down south from N/S Korea, I don't remember it being that close and I vaguely recall N/S Korea being where it is now as well.

The youtube video has been the only one so far with good residue I found of the other World.

Valerian

When I was a kid, my dad had a globe that I used to study and a huge atlas that I loved to page through -- yes, I was a strange child -- and honestly, nothing's moved.  Japan has always been quite far north -- they get snow, so they can't be too far south.  And they were always close to Russia, easily close enough for ships to sail over in the days when sailors didn't like to leave the sight of land, as happened with the attempted Mongol invasions of Japan.

Someone mentioned Interview with the Vampire earlier.  I used to work in a bookstore and you wouldn't believe how often and how badly people mangle book titles and authors' names.  Even when they came in with a carefully written note they'd still get it wrong and sometimes you practically had to be a mind reader to figure out what they actually wanted compared to what they were asking for.

I guess I don't get this entire concept.  :/  Why is it easier to believe that the entire world has shifted slightly rather than accept that not everyone has a photographic memory?  If you can forget your best friend's birthday, your grocery list, and where you parked your car, why is it so odd to think that you might also remember things from your childhood incorrectly?  There hasn't been a single thing mentioned here that I've remembered differently from the 'current' way, though admittedly there are some I can't comment on.  I never saw several of the movies mentioned, for instance, so I don't know about any misquotes from Field of Dreams or the animated Alice in Wonderland.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Fury Aphrodisia

Part of the problem with relying on maps to prove or disprove the Mandela Effect is that when it comes down to it, as Valerian said, it's almost impossible to rely on the information you thought you got. For instance, if someone remembers a map showing Japan in a different place, that can easily be explained by a number of things. Firstly, depending where you are, the published maps will be different. U.S. maps are notorious for showing the U.S. as incredibly huge compared to literally everything around it, like Canada and pretty much all of the continent of South America when Canada alone is a third again as large without taking into account the aquatic territory in and around the continent. By default, due to limited space in print, this relegates other continents to smaller spaces, which promotes warping not only of the continents themselves but the spaces between them and around the waterways.

Furthermore, those in the northern hemisphere are guilty of giving a very "top down" view of the world, which in turn warps the placement of the southern oceans. There's also the fact that as technology increases (think satellite imagery) things that were always assumed to be true can now be verified or corrected. let's also not forget that historically speaking, humanity has a penchant for ornate industry and maps have never been an exception to this. On the contrary, they are often the key examples of utilitarian tools being refurbished as highly ornate but useless decorative pieces.

So, because of these things, it is highly possible that your memory is not flawed but that the source material from which you learned (likely at the hands of a teacher, in a school or from personally-owned hard copies from home) is somehow inaccurate. Either by design or by a flaw in said design.

Whatever the case, it is still not compelling enough an argument for me to believe in this alternate timeline hypothesis, as the evidence does not bear up to scrutiny.

~~~~~(((**It should also be pointed out that watching a video or listening to someone speaking the evidence out loud has the ability to manipulate your memory. Studies of peoples' memory has often suggested that information can be "rewritten" in the minds of subjects merely by repeating an erroneous fact, leading to the assumption that the asserted information was not only always true, but that the individual receiving the information remembers it quite clearly as erroneously presented. Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3183109/ in Post-Event Misinformation**)))~~~~~
Fire and Flora - My Ons and Offs  - Updated May 17th '17 ---- Aphrodisia Acedia - (A&A's) - Updated September 9th '17 ---- Sinful Inspirations - Story Ideas - Updated May 17th '17

~I am not the voice of reason: I am the voice of truth. I do not fall gently on hopeful ears. I am strident and abrasive. I do not bend to the convenience of comfort. I am unyeilding. I do not change with wind and whim, but am always standing, unchanging, steady, constant and persevering. You rebuke me when you need me most, yet still I fight. The enemies of truth are everywhere. But I am not defeated.~

Drake Valentine

It doesn't change the movement of areas. I remember Russia and China sharing a border as well, but now it has freaking Mongolia in the middle of it.

Believe whatever ya'll want. I am not the only one that shares these views, just google Mandela effect involving geographical changes. Hell google ME involving a lot of things.

I know how most of the world was outlined in my reality, it isn't my mind playing tricks on me, it isn't memory rewriting. Geographical alternations, movie quotes, brand names, product shifts, etc have change. In one of the old James Bond movies, the metal mouth villain, there is a peculiar scene at the end. It involves Dolly helping the villain after Bond beats him. He smiles, showing his metal jaw like mouth and she smiles back showing braces. Well, guess what, she doesn't have braces now in the movie. There is even a commercial tributing to this that still exists with a bank spin off, where a huge guy enters the bank looking intimidating. Instead he is nice and asks about the mini card, the cashier answers him and smiles, showing braces; which was referencing the old James Bond movie.

I also remember Monopoly man having a monocle so does Ace Ventura.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2ydY5sBnIg

I know my memory can't make this up, and there are many others again that share similar memories of events that apparently didn't happen in this reality. Of course for those that remember it the other way, this may just seem crazy talk, but I know what I seen and watched and I also know the map doesn't look the same.

Oniya

Dude.  Mongolia has always been there.  Little Oni has a nerd-on for the Mongols, and I have personally read books with print dates in the 1800's involving the Mongols while helping her research papers.  Why the hell do you think the Chinese built that wall in the first place?

Drake Valentine

That is Mongolia I remember, after doing some browsing. China and Russia SHARED A BORDER. Now NORTH KOREA is sharing a BORDER WITH to the RIGHT OF MONGOLIA WITH RUSSIA.

That never happened in my world.

Edit, nevermind was looking at another map? Could of sworn I saw a chunk of North Korea up there next to Mongolia.

Valerian

Memory absolutely can and does make this sort of thing up all the time.  I minored in psychology and memory is constantly being rewritten -- it isn't at all the simple recording device people tend to think of it as.  Every time a memory is recalled, it's altered.  This can and has been proven.  Also, Russia and China DO share a border, it's just never been one long contiguous border because Mongolia has always been there.  The inset map on your graphic is completely off and practically a cartoon, but the larger version below does properly show Mongolia.

http://www.skeptic.com/insight/the-mandela-effect/
https://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_loftus_the_fiction_of_memory

And to address your other specific examples:

https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/moonraker-dolly-did-not-wear-braces
http://www.cracked.com/article_24565_hard-truth-time-monopoly-guy-never-had-monocle.html
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Fury Aphrodisia

In fairness, Oniya, his point is that (true to the hypothesis of the Mandela Effect), the world would always have looked like this to some people while others would always remember something having been different. The concept is that some people have undergone a shift in dimension, dropping them in a world subtly different than the one they remember as a child.

Unfortunately, I still maintain that none of the evidence presented is strong enough to convince me that this is real as opposed to simply a confused memory for whatever reason, whether it be faulty source information, incorrect recall or cultural bias. Since the original question was what we believe and not attacking D.V. or defending our point of view from his insistence, I don't think we really need to come to verbal blows over it, do we?

Drake Valentine

Now I remember, Mongolia wasn't that big as it is today.

Mongolia was to the east of China, less than half the size it is now, a sort of football-shape, and on coast of China. Not between China and Russia.