Network Neutrality

Started by Vekseid, April 13, 2017, 01:53:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blank

The Green One

Not available for new stories

Leisha

Just a quick heads-up: the Federal Communications Commission decided to repeal net neutrality rules a couple of hours ago. Null and void, it's all gone.

While I live far enough for it not to be an immediate danger, I wonder how quickly the rest of the world will catch up.

Keep calm and money money money, I guess.

SithLordOfSnark

Quote from: Leisha on December 14, 2017, 04:43:18 PM
Just a quick heads-up: the Federal Communications Commission decided to repeal net neutrality rules a couple of hours ago. Null and void, it's all gone.

While I live far enough for it not to be an immediate danger, I wonder how quickly the rest of the world will catch up.

Keep calm and money money money, I guess.

From what I've been informed (not sure how much she actually knows) that's just the FCC but House and Senate still have to vote.
Always looking for roleplays, just keep in mind that I' m not a fast poster.

On's & Off's | Request Thread | A & A

Buffy the Vampire Slayer CYOA |
Eternal Nights (VtM) Interest Check  | Buffy: After the End Interest Check

Lux12

So how do we move not only to immediately counteract this, but immediately undo their decision and force them to face criminal charges for what they've done? I like my freedom of information and frankly, I consider limiting that freedom is a stepping stone to tyranny. I want this repeal dismantled and undone before those greedy creeps can even start plotting.

Ket

Quote from: Lux12 on December 14, 2017, 05:47:07 PM
So how do we move not only to immediately counteract this, but immediately undo their decision and force them to face criminal charges for what they've done?

No one can immediately make them undo their decision, and they've done nothing criminal.

Also, there were be no immediate changes to what you can access on the internet.

The repeal happened at the FCC level. It is not, at this very moment, set it stone. The repeal can be overturned by a court or Congress. There is already one bill out there in an attempt to stop the repeal. The attorney general of New York has announced his intention to sue over the repeal, "spearheading a multi-state lawsuit." Several public interest groups have vowed to file suit, or are considering the idea.

What you can do to ensure that your elected officials step in and do the right thing is call and write their offices. Start local, and go all the way up to state level. Make your voice heard, tell your friends to make their voices heard, tell everyone to make their voices heard.

Things aren't going to change overnight, and there are already people determined to see that they don't change at all.
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Lux12

Quote from: Ket on December 14, 2017, 07:15:36 PM
No one can immediately make them undo their decision, and they've done nothing criminal.

Also, there were be no immediate changes to what you can access on the internet.

The repeal happened at the FCC level. It is not, at this very moment, set it stone. The repeal can be overturned by a court or Congress. There is already one bill out there in an attempt to stop the repeal. The attorney general of New York has announced his intention to sue over the repeal, "spearheading a multi-state lawsuit." Several public interest groups have vowed to file suit, or are considering the idea.

What you can do to ensure that your elected officials step in and do the right thing is call and write their offices. Start local, and go all the way up to state level. Make your voice heard, tell your friends to make their voices heard, tell everyone to make their voices heard.

Things aren't going to change overnight, and there are already people determined to see that they don't change at all.

That frankly doesn't sound as if it would be enough. Infringing on civil liberties and making it easier for corporations to screw over the people is criminal to me and outright sinful. I am just so, so very sick of this administration and all those involved therewith trying to impede the civil liberties of the people and making a lot of good people scared for their future. I want a resounding and overwhelming backlash that makes the reversal immediate or least occurs in such a fashion that it might as well have never happened at all ASAP. This year has in many ways been filled with some of the best and worst moments in my life, but those awful moments have been emotionally draining and frankly infuriating and the last freaking thing I want is one more instance of an administration I consider morally bankrupt screwing with people. Whatever efforts can be made to quash these efforts against freedom must be enacted. Lawsuits are not enough. I want these people put on trial, removed from their positions, or otherwise rendered powerless and made the subject of severe public scorn and to have their efforts, whatever form they may take, otherwise undermined so as to make sure no such moves will be attempted in the near or far future. I've been voting, signing petitions, telling people to do the same, and taking other such actions where issues that are important to me are concerned, but it does not feel adequate. It feels as if there is some action that might be taken which we're overlooking, though I'm not certain what that is.

Ket

Quote from: Lux12 on December 14, 2017, 08:04:31 PM
That frankly doesn't sound as if it would be enough. Infringing on civil liberties and making it easier for corporations to screw over the people is criminal to me and outright sinful.

What you consider criminal, and what the law considers criminal are two different things. Want to change that? Run for office and try to get your own legislation passed.

QuoteI want a resounding and overwhelming backlash that makes the reversal immediate or least occurs in such a fashion that it might as well have never happened at all ASAP.

Want in one hand, sh*t in the other, see which fills up faster. The vote for reversal happened. I will repeat again, it is not set in stone. Whining about something that is already in the past won't change it.

QuoteWhatever efforts can be made to quash these efforts against freedom must be enacted. Lawsuits are not enough.

Efforts are being enacted. Lawsuits are powerful, especially coming from state attorneys and involving multiple states. They can tie things up in court for months or longer, rendering the repeal decision moot until judges decide one way or the other.

Quoteand I want these people put on trial, removed from their positions, or otherwise rendered powerless and made the subject of severe public scorn and to have their efforts, whatever form they may take, otherwise undermined so as to make sure no such moves will be attempted in the near or far future.

Again, want in one hand. They have done nothing criminal, and therefore do not deserve to be put on trial. Nor have they done anything that requires their removal from their positions. As for public scorn, the FCC commissioner, Ajit Pai, has been the subject of public ridicule for months and months. But just because someone or something they do isn't liked, doesn't mean they've committed a criminal act.

QuoteI've been voting, signing petitions, telling people to do the same, and taking other such actions where issues that are important to me are concerned, but it does not feel adequate. It feels as if there is some action that might be taken which we're overlooking, though I'm not certain what that is.

Aside from getting yourself voted into office, the people who have the money and the power to do things are doing them. They are fighting a battle against people whose views on this topic do not fit with the majority, and over wording in a law dating from the 1930's. Your best course of action is to continue doing what you've been doing, but do it calmly. Being pissed off isn't going to accomplish anything.
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Lux12

Quote from: Ket on December 14, 2017, 08:18:30 PM
What you consider criminal, and what the law considers criminal are two different things. Want to change that? Run for office and try to get your own legislation passed.

Want in one hand, sh*t in the other, see which fills up faster. The vote for reversal happened. I will repeat again, it is not set in stone. Whining about something that is already in the past won't change it.

Efforts are being enacted. Lawsuits are powerful, especially coming from state attorneys and involving multiple states. They can tie things up in court for months or longer, rendering the repeal decision moot until judges decide one way or the other.

Again, want in one hand. They have done nothing criminal, and therefore do not deserve to be put on trial. Nor have they done anything that requires their removal from their positions. As for public scorn, the FCC commissioner, Ajit Pai, has been the subject of public ridicule for months and months. But just because someone or something they do isn't liked, doesn't mean they've committed a criminal act.

Aside from getting yourself voted into office, the people who have the money and the power to do things are doing them. They are fighting a battle against people whose views on this topic do not fit with the majority, and over wording in a law dating from the 1930's. Your best course of action is to continue doing what you've been doing, but do it calmly. Being pissed off isn't going to accomplish anything.

I would beg to differ. Many efforts for justice and a better world are driven by positively directed anger as much as they are by compassion and sheer moral decency. Anger has a accomplished a great deal more than people give it credit for. Have you ever read The Uses of Anger by Audre Lorde? Trying to talk things out politely doesn't seem to have been working on that front lately. What they have done is immoral and that makes it worthy of a trial. I care little for law in and of itself. What is right concerns me more because what it is legal is not necessarily what is moral. This isn't a mere matter of dislike to me. This is a matter of ethics and morals. Also if I'm not mistaken, enabling corporate abuses and infringing on civil liberties is deemed criminal in some capacity is it not? Regardless, the legality is not what concerns me, it is the ethical and moral nature of it and I oppose anything that could make tyranny or any kind of enforced inequality easier.