What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beguile's Mistress

Deamonbane

Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Blythe

I am beyond jubilant that Moore lost. That was some of the best news I could have hoped to get, politics-wise, tonight.

Oniya

I only just managed to avoid a full-voiced 'Woot!'  (Is well past Little Oni's bedtime.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

LtRipley

Alabamian here! We are PSYCHED. I am so excited! Voted for him today in the polls my county came in at 75% for Doug

TheGlyphstone

A spark of good news, hooray.

5 hours until Orange Outrage, set your clocks.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Blythe on December 12, 2017, 09:53:29 PM
I am beyond jubilant that Moore lost. That was some of the best news I could have hoped to get, politics-wise, tonight.

Aye to that! :-) Heard it on the morning news here.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

gaggedLouise

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 12, 2017, 11:43:09 PM
Or not.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/940795587733151744?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.foxnews.com%2Fpolitics%2F2017%2F12%2F13%2Falabama-senate-election-doug-jones-defeats-roy-moore-fox-news-projects.html

I'm so confused. Donald is behaving like a normal person in this tweet.

Oh, right, there it is. 'Write-in votes' = election fraud.

Likely one of his assistants tweeting in his name while the boss is having a glass of whisky. Some of Trump's tweets are not by him personally but by his pr people.

Oniya

Quote from: gaggedLouise on December 13, 2017, 12:02:02 AM
Likely one of his assistants tweeting in his name while the boss is having a glass of whisky. Some of Trump's tweets are not by him personally but by his pr people.

If only more of them were...
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

DominantPoet

I too was personally waiting for Trump to open wide and insert foot...perhaps later in the day :D

Ket

she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

LtRipley

Yeah he likes to really let his salty flag fly in the middle of the nigt.

TheGlyphstone

Random funny:

Can you spot the problem?

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: gaggedLouise on December 13, 2017, 12:02:02 AM
Are they, really? Or is that just a claim made to create plausible deniability? The courts did look into Trump's tweets when they decided the first travel ban cases. Then, recently, there was the case of a tweet claiming Trump had known about Flynn lying to the FBI that threw up all sorts of speculation about this being proof of obstruction of justice when he fired Comey. His tweets are looking bad for him in more than a stylistic sense, so how certain are we who writes what on his account? Granted, I don't trust the more "presidential" tweets to be his creation, but if we accept that at least some of his tweets are ghost-written, it will give Trump a convenient excuse, next time he creates problems for himself.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Oniya

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 13, 2017, 01:22:22 AM
Random funny:

They didn't capitalize the entire first word?  And they missed putting lights on the first letter, too!

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on December 13, 2017, 02:03:04 AM
Are they, really? Or is that just a claim made to create plausible deniability? The courts did look into Trump's tweets when they decided the first travel ban cases. Then, recently, there was the case of a tweet claiming Trump had known about Flynn lying to the FBI that threw up all sorts of speculation about this being proof of obstruction of justice when he fired Comey. His tweets are looking bad for him in more than a stylistic sense, so how certain are we who writes what on his account? Granted, I don't trust the more "presidential" tweets to be his creation, but if we accept that at least some of his tweets are ghost-written, it will give Trump a convenient excuse, next time he creates problems for himself.

I think it's safe to assume that some proportion of his tweets are written by people on his "campaign team". His predecessor in the White House never made any secret of some of his tweets being staff written in his name. It's like using pro speechwriters, everyone in these top positions does that. But most of Trump's tweets no doubt are his own work.

Then again, I agree that Trump's whole style of communicating decisions, exhortations, claims, boasts, anger and satire through tweets rather than through press releases, speeches or interviews is very problematic. With twitter, you can always say something outrageous and then claim "hey, I only have 140 letters in there and so it's necessary to cut the fine print and express myself in a more blunt and easy-to-grasp manner. I'm not the namby-pamby, meticulous kind, you see!". Or you can retweet something dirty and inflammatory, like those Britain First video clips, and then say afterwards" i didn't vouch for that it had happened exactly like that, I just tossed it into the conversation without committing myself 100% on it.

Or "Amazing X writes brilliantly about an urgent issue and demolishes the darlings of the fake news. A must-read! /article link/". Technically if you tweet that, you haven't said that you fully agree with X's conclusions, but nearly everyone will read it that way, expecially if X and you are known to get along fine. Many journalists and politicians alike love twitter for precisely that reason, its sweet fuzziness, its fast but hazy relationship to hot news topics.

Sara Nilsson

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 13, 2017, 01:22:22 AM
Random funny:

treason for the season.. that is pretty funny :D

Orval Wintermute

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on December 12, 2017, 09:50:36 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/12/us/politics/alabama-senate-race-winner.html?emc=edit_na_20171212&nl=breaking-news&nlid=72754896&ref=cta

Yes!  Doug James beats Roy Moore in Alabama!  The world is a better place tonight!
Except Moore hasn't conceded defeat and there is still a week for overseas ballots to arrive (not that I'm suggesting there might suddenly be a huge influx of overseas Republican voters, because that would be just downright suspicious) and either candidate can request a recount if they're prepared to pay for it. So James will be lucky if the election result is confirmed before the end of the year.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Orval Wintermute on December 13, 2017, 05:02:50 AM
Except Moore hasn't conceded defeat and there is still a week for overseas ballots to arrive (not that I'm suggesting there might suddenly be a huge influx of overseas Republican voters, because that would be just downright suspicious) and either candidate can request a recount if they're prepared to pay for it. So James will be lucky if the election result is confirmed before the end of the year.
The earliest date expected for a confirmed result was Dec. 26 to begin with. And before Doug Jones can begin work in the Senate he will have to be sworn in by the Senate. That won't happen before sometime in early January. These things would take a bit of time anyway, so I don't see a recount making all that much difference (provided Jones still comes out on top).
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

TheVillain

That and Ol' Turtleface has already vowed to not swear in Jones until after the "Tax Reform" thing is figured out. I swear that man should be dragged away in handcuffs.
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: TheVillain on December 13, 2017, 10:03:23 AM
That and Ol' Turtleface has already vowed to not swear in Jones until after the "Tax Reform" thing is figured out. I swear that man should be dragged away in handcuffs.

Can he do that? I mean.. once elected isn't he supposed to be sworn in by a certain time?

TheVillain

Technically yes. It's considered bad form, but the current GOP doesn't care about things like actual Ethics. And the GOP already did it with the Supreme Court seat Obama should have gotten.
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: TheVillain on December 13, 2017, 11:12:34 AM
Technically yes. It's considered bad form, but the current GOP doesn't care about things like actual Ethics. And the GOP already did it with the Supreme Court seat Obama should have gotten.

Their lack of foresight is amazing.. this WILL bite them in the ass one day.

TheVillain

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on December 13, 2017, 11:18:07 AM
Their lack of foresight is amazing.. this WILL bite them in the ass one day.

You could argue that they've given up on reality-based lawmaking a long time ago, so it's not so much a lack of foresight so much as a refusal to acknowledge that it could happen to them. Until it does.