American Horror Story - Interest Check

Started by SpiralSpider, September 25, 2018, 03:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpiralSpider

I love this show to the moon and back. I'm interested in GMing or Co-GMing a new story. Players would be able to create characters using one of the previous actors or a new face claim of their choice. Although multiple characters had been played by the same actor in some of the seasons I think it would be best to avoid that here.

I have a few ideas for the theme of this chapter but I'm open to others. Since Apocalypse is still airing I would rather not take it into account for any continuity or connections here. I also prefer my horror stories to have a supernatural element, so Cult is my least favorite season.

• Brothel - the first idea to come to mind is probably the most obvious for a place like E. I have been watching a lot of Harlots on Hulu so this seems like a good mix. I thought we could have a modern brothel in the US (obviously sex work laws would have to have changed some) We wouldn't have to be limited to the house but it allows a center for the story. I have more ideas here as far as the building goes as well as a madam to run things.
  • Vessel - Centers around a large ship on a journey. The theme could be two-fold in that the ship carries something deep in its holds that contains something ominous. Pirates? Modern?
  • Colony - A few possible scenarios here. Perhaps it's set in the past in one of the original American colonies? Or we are an AU where part of the world had not yet been claimed at this point. Otherwise we could look into the possibility of an American colony set out to Mars.
  • Mine - This is another two-fold concept that could look into a physical place as well as the concept of ownership.

Please feel free to let me know your ideas or even if you'd just be interested if we got this going.

Thanks!
~ My Ons/Offs, Characters and general RP info ~ Where am I?

"If you get hurt, hurt them back. If they kill you... walk it off."

Lovely Complex

First!! I love me some AHS(although, Asylum, Hotel, and Cult were my least favorite seasons. Still watched them though!)

But hm, either Brothel or Vessel for me. I cannot choose between either or. lol

I've been meaning to watch Harlots on Hulu. Is it any good or worth watching?
💋 On's & Off's 💋 F-List 💋

SpiralSpider

The story for Harlots is interesting and I really like the main character. I'm a sucker for period dramas and I've learned a lot of new terminology since I began watching. Sadly there's only 2 seasons out and they're short. They could also do to add some more gay to the show in my eyes though.

Lovely Complex

Quote from: SpiralSpider on September 25, 2018, 03:27:03 PM
The story for Harlots is interesting and I really like the main character. I'm a sucker for period dramas and I've learned a lot of new terminology since I began watching. Sadly there's only 2 seasons out and they're short. They could also do to add some more gay to the show in my eyes though.
I am also a sucker for period dramas but I will definitely check it out. It's on my list to watch.

Norsegod1839

I'll mark my tentative interest! My pick would be Brothel or Colony.

Gypsy

I'm also potentially interested, depending on the time period and the setting.

I like the idea of a Vessel or Mine, though I'd prefer a historical time period but modern wouldn't kill my interest.

Probably if you go with Brothel or Colony, I'd only be interested if it were historical or AU historical and I have the background knowledge to carry off whatever's chosen.
<a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=286451.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=244545.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=279617.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=245953.0"></a>     

🌹🔥🌹   on 'no writing' hiatus    🌹🔥🌹    not available    🌹🔥🌹    formerly 'Briar Rose' & 'GypsyRose'    🌹🔥🌹

lux89

Tentatively interested! If you put these themes altogether, you could have Paradise or Horizon!
The Bahamas, Puerto Rico, and Bermuda form altogether a triangle mystery.
They all have history with mining. Prostitution is legal, brothels are not, but there could
easily be one brothel for high-profile tourists being run in secret. Plus, of course colonized.
Modern and historic with vessels and flashbacks to their long history of deaths and supernatural stuff.

SpiralSpider

Thank you everyone for responding!

The following is a vote count (Counting the 'or's in both category)

Brothel: 2
Vessel: 2
Colony: 1
Mine: 1

Lux's idea is an interesting one but I worry about putting too much into one chapter.

Gypsy - how would you feel about a multi-level story with your character's backstory in a historical setting that affects the future? Or you could continue on in the current time as well as a ghost/undead?

Spectre

I am also a fan of AHS and Harlots ( I would say anyone curious should watch it, but know that it's a down and dirty show that won't cut corners or pull punchs if your squimish) so Brothel really stands out to me, that could get dark and twisty fast and Colony also leaves a lot of options open, if you want to devel into old school myths and legends or some of the borderline psychotic lengths the colonist went about keeping out sickness and bad spirits and everything in the dark.

EvieFrye

I love AHS too, already watching the new season.

I'm wondering, is there a chance of combing a couple of the ideas?

Lovely Complex

Speaking of the new season, did anyone see tonight's episode?

EvieFrye

Lovely Complex

Ah. Okay. Like every other episode, prepare to be shook. lol

Norsegod1839

I wouldn't be against combining the themes myself!

Lovely Complex

A combination of ideas sounds good to me, as well. :)

SpiralSpider

If we did a combination, what would everyone prefer? I wouldn't like to mix them all. Maybe just 2? 

If there are other chapter themes running through your minds, I'd love to hear them.

EvieFrye

Well, I was thinking either colony/mine or brothel/colony.

Lovely Complex

I could go for a Brothel and Colony mixture.

SpiralSpider

It sounds like Brothel and Colony are Gypsy's least favorite.

I think I'll leave the interest thread open until the weekend to see if anyone else is interested and then we could hammer out more details.

Gypsy

Quote from: SpiralSpider on September 27, 2018, 07:47:09 PM
It sounds like Brothel and Colony are Gypsy's least favorite.

I think I'll leave the interest thread open until the weekend to see if anyone else is interested and then we could hammer out more details.

No worries. :-)   It sounds like things are headed in a different direction.

Good luck with the game, and I hope everyone has fun!
<a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=286451.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=244545.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=279617.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=245953.0"></a>     

🌹🔥🌹   on 'no writing' hiatus    🌹🔥🌹    not available    🌹🔥🌹    formerly 'Briar Rose' & 'GypsyRose'    🌹🔥🌹

TheHangedOne

I'd be interested in this. Been watching all the series as each comes out. Hotel was one I really liked; same with Murder House.

As far as the ideas discussed here, may I suggest a fusion of Colony and Vessel (possibly even brothel), and say we're one of those micro-nations (like Sea Land)? Could even put it out near the Bermuda Triangle (or for a more oriental theme, the Dragon Triangle/Devil's sea).

What sort of supernatural elements are you looking for? With my own idea, I could see something very Lovecraftian going on; strange creatures and the like.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

lux89

^ plus ghost colonists, pirates, and miners spilling blood over cursed gold at a spa resort sounds so gucci

TheHangedOne

Quote from: lux89 on September 28, 2018, 06:40:21 PM
^ plus ghost colonists, pirates, and miners spilling blood over cursed gold at a spa resort sounds so gucci
What about ghost pirates?  >:)
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

lux89

I mean ghost colonists, ghost pirates, and ghost miners xD
Plus Jamaican esque hoodoo witches

SpiralSpider

Quote from: Gypsy on September 27, 2018, 08:22:57 PM
No worries. :-)   It sounds like things are headed in a different direction.

Good luck with the game, and I hope everyone has fun!
I'm sorry Gypsy. I definitely don't want you to feel unwelcome. I was hoping to find something that worked for everyone. Please keep us in mind in case the story ends up going a way you might like?