[Pathfinder EX] Curse of the Crimson Throne: All the Queen's Men (Application)

Started by PaleEnchantress, November 15, 2016, 04:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chulanowa

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on November 16, 2016, 12:30:00 AM
You could always find a pict of her with the mask on. Also the image could be "pre scarred" so we just take what we see and imagine a tic tac toe board carved on her face.

Check out both my "Normal" favorites which tend to be prettyboys with the rare "it's not a hot guy i just liked it" image and "Studly demon" which is where i but the more beefcake and demonic options. My organization is terrible though

Oh, so it's just intersecting lines, and not "Here let my dog snaw in your face"? That could be workable.  ;D In hte meantime, thanks for hte link, I'll see if there's anything in there that can fill in the concept ideas I'd had

SeraphAzriel

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on November 16, 2016, 12:16:09 AM
1. You mean besides  the ritualistic scarification of your own face and wearing a mask? Well the ability to stand beside the Queen's bed during the harem scenes fully armed and probably making deadpan snarky commentary on the men's performances. Then on adventures "out in the field" you'll be in charge of caring (in a "hands off the goods" way) for "the queen's property"; meaning babysitting a group of men capable of torture/rape/murdering an entire enemy army all on their own. You don't have to be a physical guardian, magic works too. - You take up the role of the least sexualized character in the entire game and probably the one with the most unique interpersonal dynamics between yourself and all other characters, including the queen. I suggest playing up the dark comedy of a servile snarker when it comes to the guys. - Technically you and one of the guys could fall in love with each other and have a relationship. The Only question is "Are you both dumb enough?"

2. Once I know what youre looking for I can link you suggestions. I can link you to one of my many collections, the one on deviant art which is over 100 PAGES of images.

Don't mean to be rude with my interjection, but there is Sabina Merrin, who could provide very little friction with the Queen's own tastes.

indarkestknight

Posting to confirm my interest in playing Trifaccia as a magus, just haven't had the time to sit down and hammer out a character sheet just yet.

Quote from: SeraphAzriel on November 15, 2016, 10:13:41 PM
Sorry.  I have odd prose and like to use big words.  It's a thing I do.  :'D  Because I found the perfect look for the character, but, as I feared its in the style that you like the least.  Seeing the big burly male types, I was thinking of something a bit more svelte and androgynous.  But I'll worry about appearance once I've gotten an actual backstory and fluff for you to sink your teeth into.  I think that this biography just might write itself.  : )

Eheh. Just my two cents, but personally my character (and I) prefer to play opposite trappy/femme guys for m/m content, so I definitely wouldn't mind if there are some characters in that vein...

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: indarkestknight on November 16, 2016, 05:05:25 AM
Posting to confirm my interest in playing Trifaccia as a magus, just haven't had the time to sit down and hammer out a character sheet just yet.

Eheh. Just my two cents, but personally my character (and I) prefer to play opposite trappy/femme guys for m/m content, so I definitely wouldn't mind if there are some characters in that vein...

JoanieSappho has expressed great interest in playing a trap/androgynous looking guy, so that base is probably covered. A nice base at that since if her character and yours are interested in each other it provides more variety to the inter party relations.

I already see a bit of variety in the complete nature of in character bonds to the Queen. Venster's primary motivation by far is the carnal, and  probably romantic, side of things. He's just far to useful a tool to keep as nothing but a trophy boy. That fact probably is what made Atremicia decide to make a reverse-harem of male lovers who would act as her main problem solving crew, cutting through all political yellow tape. Let everyone think she is being a tart with half a dozen men in her bed and they won't consider that she is using the personal time to put her nefarious plans in motion with them in the midst of all the physical pleasure (and sometimes pain, especially for others).

On the other hand, Rolande seems like he sees his position in the Queen's harem foremost his honorable duty. That he totally enjoys it is a guilty pleasure. "One does not ignore a blessed request to pleasure one's Queen in any capacity. Anyone who would even debate it should have the flesh ripped from their back and be hung by hooks in their bare muscle." (My words based on what I know of Blythe's character). It is his divine mandate, and great pleasure, to bleed for her and the men he could call brothers or lovers.

An other player's character, who I haven't heard from in a while, seems like he doesn't care about love or passion but would sell his body, life and soul for a bit of real prestige and validation. It merely helps that the Queen is the sexiest woman he has ever seen and that he enjoys slander and killing.

Quote from: SeraphAzriel on November 16, 2016, 04:44:05 AM
Don't mean to be rude with my interjection, but there is Sabina Merrin, who could provide very little friction with the Queen's own tastes.

Sabina is already the poster girl for the Gray Maiden's in the campaign and therefore would be for the female harem guards in Azure Wraiths/Cerulean Shield's. Her being a lesbian would certainly prevent complications too, but it's only one way to go about it. - Any female PC could easily take Sabina's "slot" in the adventure whether they play her close to the original or take some liberties.

If there are no female PC's or none that want to have the ties of a cannon character I plan for Sabina to still be present as a more minor character representing the female harem guardians as a guardian of that area of the castle, ensuring security and privacy, rather then tied to the occupants of the harem.

The defense of the castle as a whole is more the area of The Royal Guard/Senchel, which is Venster, but when seeing to the physical needs of is queen and himself he can't be expected to still be on security duty. Thats what Sabina is there for, or whatever PC replaces her.

Edit: Trying to count who has been actively interested so far. Zaer Darkwail, Blythe, Indarkestknight, SeraphAzriel, Chulanowa, Pockets, Lockpick, JoanieSappho  (If I missed your name, remind me)

There are also at least two others (VonDoom and Faeli) who have said something but haven't confirmed much of anything. That makes up to 10. That's probably too many already. So any more additions after this point better be selling something I *really* like or already have a friendship with me here on E. Both preferably. I'm not actually going to stop accepting potential players yet but the people above have priority and even that list may need pruning

PS: If you are one of the 10 people I mentioned don't preemptively sacrifice your position to help everyone else avoid being declined, unless you weren't serious to begin with.  You could be one of the people I was particularly looking forward to having in the game. I'm sure one or two of them are obvious but there are some brand new names that have made a strong impression on me. That or maybe I don't have to cut anyone in the end anyway. Not enough information to even think about it yet.
" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

Lockepick

I think I'm leaning towards a Witch -- might go Winter Witch. I was thinking some kind of Seer/Diviner for the Court. If there was more content that supported Haruspex -- I'd be all over that shit. For now, I might just include it for fluff.

I was thinking of going for
this picture
. I've always been a huge fan of the play with symmetry here, and giving him a sort of 'otherworldly' and unnatural look.

Though if everybody else is using drawn portraits, I could try to find something else. If I went drawn, I'd likely end up being more feminine looking (though doubt I'd qualify as a 'trap')
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Zaer Darkwail

Well, Venster occupied the councilor slot in kingdom builder but he also functions as senechal (sort housekeeper for royalty/palace) as well. Most reason is that queen trusts him and the senechal position happens to be open (as the canon senechal is already hiding from the queen this point since he smells there is weird stuff going around the palace and thus decided take distance to analyze it).

IC my char has very recently (two or less weeks) become famous in the non-human district as nice fortuneteller who also works as counsilor for non-human rights and presents them in the council (ofc his duties are more and less farce as he has no interest for the matter but it helps him be part of non-human community and learn how much they are boiling and know when is time eliminate them).

Not sure is there specific district for non-humans but he could cover the role also as presentative of wealthy middle-class (while terrorize the poor people as Butcher). As his renown ability from vigilante works in 'small neighborhood' atm (max 200 people).

Quote from: Lockepick on November 16, 2016, 09:24:35 AM
I think I'm leaning towards a Witch -- might go Winter Witch. I was thinking some kind of Seer/Diviner for the Court.

Interesting role choice there :). Although considering your foci my char has harrow deck and mostly feat/trait combination ability to use said deck for fortunetelling (I assume any fortunetelling falls to mix of social skills and profession check as one). Your case is probably the official seer title while to my char it's more a hobby (as he has no spellcasting ability or ability cast divinations). But he can twice a week do up honest augury check for future (and himself everyday he draws card for his own forture or future event to get minor buff which he can use anytime on the day).

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on November 16, 2016, 09:28:18 AM
Well, Venster occupied the councilor slot in kingdom builder but he also functions as senechal (sort housekeeper for royalty/palace) as well. Most reason is that queen trusts him and the senechal position happens to be open (as the canon senechal is already hiding from the queen this point since he smells there is weird stuff going around the palace and thus decided take distance to analyze it).

IC my char has very recently (two or less weeks) become famous in the non-human district as nice fortuneteller who also works as counsilor for non-human rights and presents them in the council (ofc his duties are more and less farce as he has no interest for the matter but it helps him be part of non-human community and learn how much they are boiling and know when is time eliminate them).

Not sure is there specific district for non-humans but he could cover the role also as presentative of wealthy middle-class (while terrorize the poor people as Butcher). As his renown ability from vigilante works in 'small neighborhood' atm (max 200 people).

Interesting role choice there :). Although considering your foci my char has harrow deck and mostly feat/trait combination ability to use said deck for fortunetelling (I assume any fortunetelling falls to mix of social skills and profession check as one). Your case is probably the official seer title while to my char it's more a hobby (as he has no spellcasting ability or ability cast divinations). But he can twice a week do up honest augury check for future (and himself everyday he draws card for his own forture or future event to get minor buff which he can use anytime on the day).

The Senechal could fit royal guard or Councillor kingdom leadership role. If you're finding Councillor more appropriate I'll make note of that, leaving royal guard open.

Zaer Darkwail

Well, with my stats I can cover Warden, Royal Enforcer or Councilor roles. I am not attached any of those roles, but so far Warden and Councilor are needed as they give penalties if they are vacant and counsilor's case no holidays/festivals can be announced (Royal Enforcer is for unrest removal and also added loyalty). I think however Sabina wants/covets for position as general in the kingdom (also needs filled as otherwise loyalty is pretty low in the start and general adds for stability).

I imagine various atrocious deeds forces several stability/loyalty checks so need folks cover those roles/rolls somehow.

Rummy Tum Tum

Looks like I'm a bit late, but I am very much interested in this. Thinking inquisitor from a debauched noble family. A man who can be cruel or kind while wearing the same smile.

It is only fair to note that I'm utterly new to playing dnd and the pathfinder system.

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Rummy Tum Tum on November 16, 2016, 04:13:27 PM
Looks like I'm a bit late, but I am very much interested in this. Thinking inquisitor from a debauched noble family. A man who can be cruel or kind while wearing the same smile.

It is only fair to note that I'm utterly new to playing dnd and the pathfinder system.

I *did* just get one of my most reliable applicants backing out, You might be in luck, but we will see.

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Lockepick on November 16, 2016, 09:24:35 AM
I think I'm leaning towards a Witch -- might go Winter Witch. I was thinking some kind of Seer/Diviner for the Court. If there was more content that supported Haruspex -- I'd be all over that shit. For now, I might just include it for fluff.

I was thinking of going for
this picture
. I've always been a huge fan of the play with symmetry here, and giving him a sort of 'otherworldly' and unnatural look.

Though if everybody else is using drawn portraits, I could try to find something else. If I went drawn, I'd likely end up being more feminine looking (though doubt I'd qualify as a 'trap')

I already figured if I had an actual gay guy join the game his character would probably be the most realistic and naturally manly looking character of all.  Winter Witch would work, you would need a story of why a winter witch is in a warm dry climate.

Or, more likely, your character is a native Varisian (Romani/Gypsy like culture travelers). Being a winter witch is a manifestation of being close to the land even though it's not a particularly cold climate it's still a natural tie.  The Varisian people also have a highly significant cultural tatoos. In fact there are feats where your Varisian tatoos help your spellcasting.

As you might expect given the flavor of this campaign, the rulers and nobility of the land are not descendants of the native Varisian's but instead of their Chelish subjugators.  Artemecia herself was born to Cheliax nobility. She didn't even come to Korvosa until she was a teen. She's known to see the Varisian's as backward and dirty people.

However, the Varisian's are known for their divination. Artemicia would be all too happy to accept a Varisi seer that hates his people and is all too willing to betray them and his heritage. Sometimes the plot writes itself practically.

Rummy Tum Tum

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on November 16, 2016, 04:35:19 PM
I *did* just get one of my most reliable applicants backing out, You might be in luck, but we will see.
Yay! I mean, that may be fortunate for me indeed.

PaleEnchantress

Just updated the opening page with more information about who the other players are and who is waitlisted.

If you're someone who has been talking to me or on the threads already and I forgot you, remind me, I'll fix it.

Chulanowa

I think I'm gonna bow out. I appreciate the consideration, and hope y'all have fun  :-)

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Chulanowa on November 16, 2016, 05:15:58 PM
I think I'm gonna bow out. I appreciate the consideration, and hope y'all have fun  :-)

It's a shame to lose you, but thank you for the well wishes, and likewise to you as well.

On a more humorous note why do I get the sinking feeling that my deviant art collection was the final nail in the coffin for him? Like "Hrmmm this Pale Enchantress is obviously a bit crazier than I thought. . . "

Hunter

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on November 16, 2016, 05:49:29 PM
On a more humorous note why do I get the sinking feeling that my deviant art collection was the final nail in the coffin for him? Like "Hrmmm this Pale Enchantress is obviously a bit crazier than I thought. . . "

There's crazy and there's crazy.   The trick is knowing which on you are.   ;D

Lockepick

So apparently Witches actually don't get much for Divination, which is always a surprise... I'll take what I can, but I doubt I can go around calling myself a Seer/Diviner -- as much as I love the idea. Party wise: I'd see him as more of a support/toolbox/face. Kingdom Wise: I could go Grand Diplomat, Magister, or Treasurer -- my preference is in that order, but I'm happy to take my 2nd/3rd choice if somebody else wants the role, or if we think one of the other roles are more important for the Kingdom.

The whole Varisian plot sounds good! I'm not sure I'll take those specific Tattoo Feats, but it's still a fun idea regardless. Part of my original thought process was a tundra nomad who simply wanted a better/more comfortable life.

Working on a character sheet now... should I post that here, or PM it when it's done?

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Lockepick on November 16, 2016, 08:37:15 PM
So apparently Witches actually don't get much for Divination, which is always a surprise... I'll take what I can, but I doubt I can go around calling myself a Seer/Diviner -- as much as I love the idea. Party wise: I'd see him as more of a support/toolbox/face. Kingdom Wise: I could go Grand Diplomat, Magister, or Treasurer -- my preference is in that order, but I'm happy to take my 2nd/3rd choice if somebody else wants the role, or if we think one of the other roles are more important for the Kingdom.

The whole Varisian plot sounds good! I'm not sure I'll take those specific Tattoo Feats, but it's still a fun idea regardless. Part of my original thought process was a tundra nomad who simply wanted a better/more comfortable life.

Working on a character sheet now... should I post that here, or PM it when it's done?

You could play an Oracle, they work really well for divination

SeraphAzriel

A little something to whet my perhaps fellow player's appetites on what they can look forward to from me.

The Good Doctor

The Visionary

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: SeraphAzriel on November 16, 2016, 08:58:57 PM
A little something to whet my perhaps fellow player's appetites on what they can look forward to from me.

The Good Doctor

The Visionary

I loved those especially the first one. Allow me to link one from my favorite "band" of all. Not only does it sound right, look at whats it's called

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjjwVXOUp4s

SeraphAzriel

I thought you might enjoy them.  The second is honestly my favorite.  The violin captures that passionate essence that underlies his being. 

Heh.  I actually own one of their albums back home.  Nox Arcana has some excellent atmospheric touches and I definitely commend your choice.

Lockepick

I think I'm going to stick with Witch -- I can never really get into Oracle. I suppose Witches do get: ill-omen, locate object, speak with dead, divination, contact other plane, legend lore, vision, moment of prescience and foresight. So I can have a good batch of divination. I guess it's just hard to imagine any low level character as being a prominent Seer.

Also: How do you feel about a thematic change to the 'Cackle' Hex? Like something that's still just as obvious as Cackle, but not so... cartoony villain? I was thinking something along the lines of an intense stare with a visible foreboding aura and some whistling winds whipping around him (to keep the same audio component).

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Lockepick on November 16, 2016, 09:22:15 PM
I think I'm going to stick with Witch -- I can never really get into Oracle. I suppose Witches do get: ill-omen, locate object, speak with dead, divination, contact other plane, legend lore, vision, moment of prescience and foresight. So I can have a good batch of divination. I guess it's just hard to imagine any low level character as being a prominent Seer.

Also: How do you feel about a thematic change to the 'Cackle' Hex? Like something that's still just as obvious as Cackle, but not so... cartoony villain? I was thinking something along the lines of an intense stare with a visible foreboding aura and some whistling winds whipping around him (to keep the same audio component).

Witch is also an issue if you're going to be the face. It doesn't get a lot helping it there, but you have the skill points if not the class skills.

I am all for thematic changed to things so they fit your character better. I also allow little mechanical tweaks to make things you want work for you. "Staredown" is fine just do something somewhat dramaic and it works.

I really need to rexamine witch spell list. There are some very important divination that I know wizards dont get (Augury, Divination, and Commune particularly) As I allow 3.5 mateial there are ways to get those on your class list. I may even let you grab one of them for a trait.  Looking forward to seeing more of your witch come together.

Edit After looking at the witch spell list. WOW! Witches are probably the best diviners in the game! They pretty much get all the great ones wizard/sorcerer gets AND all the great ones cleric gets that wizard/sorcerer doesn't. Blind seer archetype or not the witch chews up the oracles divinitory powers spits them out and laughs cackles at them.

Sadly we lost the pansexual guy who's character I was really counting on for inter party dynamics. Not just because of his sexuality. His personality and abilities were all set to foster things I felt the campaign could use. That said we may have a female harem guard who can do a bit of that.  Ill post about that right after this.

Lockepick

Yeah, now that I'm looking -- they do get a lot. I'm not sure why I thought otherwise... I'm actually just working on my spell list as we speak. I'm happy to go back to a Seer route. Maybe take 'Magister' as my Kingdom role. I'm pretty happy to commit to those official/unofficial roles. Sorry to be so wishy/washy -- please read it as excitement!

I was going to take some social skills, but with a Charisma 14, I'm relying upon Traits to give me them as Class skills, so we'll see. I'm sure somebody else will do it better even if I do go that route.

PaleEnchantress

Blythe has had to back out for very good reasons. I appreciate his consideration and wish him the best. I am so sad to lose his creativity as well as his character itself. I had a lot of reasons I liked what he was playing, such as. .  .

Rolande Marr

Name: Rolande Marr
Race: Human
Class: Cleric
Alignment: LE
Sexuality: Pansexual

Personality: Most individuals think of tyrants or petty manipulators when they think of those immoral individuals that support the rule of law. In Rolande's case, that isn't strictly true. He's unquestioning loyal to the Queen, as he genuinely believes in a strict hierarchy and rule, and he believes the Queen's rule will most benefit his...lifestyle. Ser Marr, being a worshiper of Zon-Kuthon, is addicted to pain--both inflicting it on himself and on others, in exactly that order. He tends to function well in regimented groups, and he can work with others quite excellently if he understands a common goal in mind. This doesn't mean he's kind; it means he understands cooperation in the name of mutual self-interest. He's generally a stoic man; his lifestyle in the worship of Zon-Kuthon has left him unable to be easily stimulated (in any sense, really) beyond rather extreme provocation. His faith & the Queen are his world. He prefers it that way.

Background: Born and raised in Korvosa, Ser Marr was born into poverty. He was raised with hardship, learning that pain was an unavoidable aspect of life...but that if he supported the rule of law absolutely, that pain would not be meaningless, and he could advance himself in station. He was converted into the worship of Zon-Kuthon after showing immense potential when trying for a place in the Korvosan Guard; his painful methods of subdual of a lawbreaker caught the attention of a cleric of the Midnight Lord. Marr was originally a prime recruit for becoming a Hellknight, but the worship of Asmodeus or devils didn't appeal; they did not speak to the feelings of suffering Marr felt and endeavors to recreate. And in their typical heavier armor, he felt they were a bit limiting. He's performed well in the Guard, but he grew complacent and bored with it, looking to advance further. He managed to gain a knighthood for service to Korvosa for breaking up a particularly nasty cult (which gave him more than a little pleasure, given that it also allowed him to take out religious competition), but that didn't feel like enough. He came to the attention of the Queen only recently, recommended as a servant for her by Cressida Kroft, who was uncomfortable with the man for some reason and wanted him well away from her.

In the worship of Zon-Kuthon, Marr feels comfortable in his authority as a knight and with his submissiveness to the Queen, although he respects the faith of Asmodeus. As for his family--he has none that he recalls. He is aware he should have family, but he was on the streets too young to really recall the time he lived with them. Nor does he want to; he views such sentimental attachments as being beneath him now. His only pleasure is pain, and pain is his only pleasure. Now he is reasonably well off; service to Korvosa and his god have been surprisingly profitable.

Front Line Support - In combat he could beat things down really well. He also had many facets of support covered both in and out of combat.

Pansexual - Awesome that his levels of Homoerotica with other members of the harem could go as far as desired while always being real interested in serving The Queen carnally as well. He was a good character for the more daring of the straight guys to play with or to help any gay players feel comfortable, and I never had to worry about being too intimate with him as the Queen.

For God and Country - He started out as street trash and worked his way up through the strict adherence to unforgiving hierarchy. He is loyal to the Queen, Korvosa itself, and his God who are pretty much guaranteed to all be for the same things. He is deeply honored to serve them all in the Queens battle harem. He was very dependable

He's hot - More of a personal bonus for me, I admit.

An Officer and a Gentleman - He really put the lawful in lawful evil. His presence would really help keep some of the more wild characters where they need to be.

Sadomasochist - Had nearly nothing in the way of limitations (Worshipping the god of pain and body modification might do that to you). Leaned heavily into the masochistic side. That he not only would take any sort of pain and damage in his fellow party members place, but probably enjoy doing so would be very helpful to build on the close relationship between all the men. Secondly, when the Queen decides to do something like "Reward" all the men by branding them he would always set the proper mood by seeing it as a really amazing reward.  Those less inclined to write about such things would find it much easier once they saw his lead by example.

Official High Priest of the Kingdom. - A very important role for kingdom building both mechanically and role play wise.

I'm sure we will do fine without Rolande, but I wanted to share my thoughts. This archetype is something any late comers can keep in mind when deciding on a character that could get them off the waitlist and into the game.