News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

(MnM3e) Super Interns! (NC-Exotic)

Started by ShadowFox89, February 17, 2015, 10:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowFox89

The year is 2033. Supervillainy in the world is, by and large, no longer a thing. Three years ago the Defenders of Humanity (DoH) declared victory against the Knights of Horror Atrocity and Nastiness (KHAN). KHAN was dismantled and DoH set up a defense network across the globe comprised of teams of superheroes. The Defenders then retired to their orbital facility high above the planet. There, they enjoyed what every retired superstar likes to enjoy; wild parties, photo-ops, and managing their image. One of the superhero teams was formed in Chicago, to defend the southern great lakes region.

This team is you. Welcome to the life of a super intern.

A bit of a lighthearted game idea, at first at least, I intend to slowly amp up the seriousness of the plot. This is just an interest check for now. For an idea of power level, think around the power of Young Justice, Teen Titans, or the Young Avengers. Teenage and young adult heroes who get to fight villains that aren't worth popping up on the radar of bigger names.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

TFcommando

I do like Mutants and Masterminds.  The impression I have is that the A-list super heroes defeated the A-list villains and retired to party... but are there still B or C list villains around?

The PCs are sidekicks and young heroes are fending for themselves career-wise, given the retirement of the DoH?  Or are new heroes who "joined too late?"
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

ShadowFox89

There are b and c list villains around, and the players are sidekicks and latecomer heroes.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

TFcommando

I'm definitely up for it.  What did you have in mind for the future setting... any sci-fi elements, or just "Today with better personal electronics?" and a reason to shake up the usual heroic roster, ala Kingdom Come?  Any changes to sexual taboos?

Sounds like Power Level 8?  Or maybe 10, with the big guys at 14 for comparison?
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

yesiroleplay

oh!  MnM!  Haven't played in ages.

And I like the concept.  For now I'm just bookmarking, but I'll have to think up a concept.

ShadowFox89

Powerlevel 8, 160pp

The setting is fairly futuristic and accepting of a anyone's sexuality, especially when anyone has the potential to be a cape.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

TFcommando

Decisions, decisions... What about other forms of acceptance?  Would an anthro wolf or cat like Tigra or the Cheetah stand out or cause a panic, or a cyborg or alien, or someone with exotic features like horns and a tail?
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

eternaldarkness

Damnit Fox...how do you run an M&M game and not tell me? -_- 

I'm interested. It sounds fun.

TheFourthShade

You know I'm down if I can think up a good idea.

Birchleaf

Color me interested. I have a definite idea, but I have never played this system before. I will try to slog through all the online information, but if anyone can give me pointers (like a good online source for character sheets or tutorials) that would be incredibly helpful.

TFcommando

I'll be glad to help.  The QuickStart Character Generator is an excellent resource... it was sold separately with a GM screen, then incorporated into the 10th anniversary edition rulebook.  Between that and the character templates, there are a lot of examples of how various sorts of characters and powers work.  Though this game is starting at a lower power level with fewer points to play with, so it can't be used as-is.
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

ShadowFox89

A good place for inspiration on a character is: roninarmy.com

There is also an SRD here: http://www.d20herosrd.com/

The quickgen isn't exactly all that helpful, as it's set for a standard play game with a PL10/150pp hero.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Birchleaf

The SRD is enormously helpful. I am a long-time DnD player, so this is not completely alien, but I appreciate your forbearance with my inexperience. When the interest check turns into a more formal recruitment thread, I will be here.

TFcommando

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on February 19, 2015, 12:45:57 AM
A good place for inspiration on a character is: roninarmy.com

There is also an SRD here: http://www.d20herosrd.com/

The quickgen isn't exactly all that helpful, as it's set for a standard play game with a PL10/150pp hero.

Yes, there are tons of character write-ups at roninarmy.com for inspiration.  The quickgen can't actually make you a PL 8 character, but it's at least a good starting point or list of power styles and ideas to work with.

A few ideas to start with:

A sorceress, the dark/sexy/black magic/demonic aspected type... either an apprentice for the now-retired Sorcerer Supreme who is going off in slightly naughty directions with her studies or a woman who had an origin involving a tantric sex magic book that really worked.  Using "black" magic for good purposes.

A catgirl or werewolf, formerly human and now stuck that way, like Tigra or DC's Cheetah.  Fast, strong, enhanced senses... she can't get a job at a tech firm or bank the way she, so she keeps on superheroing.  Might have been a former sidekick who was transformed in her solo career from some mishap.  Probably doesn't wear clothes.

Sexy urban crimefighter type... one who concentrates on espionage more than street crime or mafia stuff, bit of a jet-setter.  Lots of skills, marital arts, a few gadgets, maybe a gun. 
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

Birchleaf

Well, my idea is a magical knight/doctor type with his abilities dependent on the whims of a powerful benefactress only he can see or interact with. He has magical/divine powers based on summoning a set of armaments and buffing himself up in order to use them, and using a variety of healing and warding type spells.

Loneeagle42s

Hey Foxy fox fox.

Figured I'd drop a reply with a character concept. Time Traveling Magic Pirate.

From the past, of course, because time travelers with supertech are overdone :D

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Loneeagle42s on February 19, 2015, 05:49:56 PM
Hey Foxy fox fox.

Hiya :D long time no talk to. This should be fun.

TFcommando

Quote from: Birchleaf on February 19, 2015, 05:40:34 PM
Well, my idea is a magical knight/doctor type with his abilities dependent on the whims of a powerful benefactress only he can see or interact with. He has magical/divine powers based on summoning a set of armaments and buffing himself up in order to use them, and using a variety of healing and warding type spells.

That's a little tricky to do, but only a little... depends on how random things are.  An easy first step it to buy the weapon power with the "Variable Descriptor" feature, define the sorts of attacks it can pull up (like fire, lightning, ice, slashing, for example) and add on the -1 point quirk "at the benefactress's whim."  You could also take a Complication (Power Loss) reflecting how she might be fickle in what she grants... you get a Hero Point when a dramatic setback like that comes up. 

Hey Foxy fox fox.

I must ask... with a pirate ship?
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

yesiroleplay

Hey Foxy fox fox.

Ye temporal constabulary doth hunt hyme!

TFcommando

Had an amusing idea for the "sexy magic" idea above.  A succubus seduced a hero (or a heroine!) a few years back and had a baby as a result, a half human, half succubus girl who grew up in and out of the demon realm.  Due to timey-wimey differences between the two places, she's in her late teens and is rebelling against her mother's infernal values and has decided to do what her father would do, be a hero!  Granted, its not easy now that the big age of heroism has ended, but she's still giving it her best shot!
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

TheFourthShade

I have an idea.  An ex-criminal who has thrown her lot in with the heroes after one of them saved her life instead of waxing her.  The fact that she can be classified as a 'backup' just shows how lucky she is to be alive.  The reason why they were even recruited as a supercriminal in the first place was due to some sort of superpower that I am way too hyped up on caffeine and lack of sleep to think up in the span of time spent typing this post.

Gender, power, basic idea, and whether their motif is anything like a modern ninja are subject to change with very short notice.

Guancyto

Ah, they finished processing my application, and with time to spare!

Anyway yeah, as mentioned in IM, I'm interested in this as a robot girl with epic multitasking ability, many processors and many platforms!

Probably won't be named Legion because a. there's already a way cooler robot named that in a different universe and b. there's probably an a-list superhero in this universe named that already, and second-tier superheroes get stuck with second-tier superhero names.

Guancyto

Okay, here we go. R-r-r-robot girl!

Legion was taken. Legionary was also taken. Centurion was taken.

Auxilia is a little pissed that she can't do the low growly voice while saying, "my name is Legion, for we are many." She copes! Running the day-to-day of a superhero city isn't exactly glamorous, but it's an important job! There's so much research to do; humans are all so ideologically motivated they can't even see evidence staring them right in the face, but Auxilia collects it all. Waving superhero privilege around lets people mostly leave her alone while an entire city gets to play lab rat without ever knowing.

After all, as one human once said, the power lies in not who is giving the orders, but in who is writing them down.

Of course there are little flourishes that set her above the average car-manufacturing robot. The slightly bluish-tinted artificial skin and finely-articulated joints that she was created with were almost as much of a masterpiece as actually making a real AI with the ability to learn and grow. The ability to create more like herself means that she's actually a functional species all her own, and having been created fully-functional means, well, the less said about that the better.

PL 8, 160 PP total.

Attributes

Strength -2
Stamina 10
Dexterity 0
Agility 0
Fighting -2
Intellect 10
Awareness 5
Presence 4

50 PP Attributes

Skills

Deception +4
Insight +2
Investigation +2
Persuasion +2
Ranged Combat (Small Arms) +12
Technology +8
Vehicles +10

19 PP Skills

Defenses:
Dodge: 6 (Agility 0 + Dodge 6)
Parry: 6 (Fighting -2 + Parry 8)
Fortitude: 10 (Stamina 10)
Will: 6 (Awareness 5 + Will 1)
Toughness: 10 (Stamina 10)

15 PP Defenses

Powers

Ultimate Translation Matrix
Comprehend Languages (All languages, spoken and written, understand and be understood. Quirk: One scene required to pick up a new language; 7 points)
Comprehend Machines (4 points)

Machine Anatomy
Immunity; Life Support (disease, poison, environmental conditions, starvation, thirst; 10 points)

Auxiliary Slave System
Duplication 8; Innate, Mental Link, Multiple Minions (2 duplicates). Quirk: Requires giving combat upgrade to pre-existing, pre-ambulating drone body. (41 points)

63 PP Powers.

Advantages:
Attractive 2
Connected
Contacts
Diehard
Eidetic Memory
Inventor
Speed of Thought
Well-Informed
Equipment 3

12 points Advantages

Equipment:
Heavy Pistol
Stun Gun
Audio Recorder
Commlink

total of 15 equipment points; 3PP spent on equipment in total.

13 PP Advantages.

Complications
Motivation: World Domination!
Auxilia doesn't want to rule the world! It's a mess and she just needs to run it, by replacing computers as the means by which humans interface with the wider world, by being the person (in some form or another) that everyone looks to to solve their mundane problems (and thereby hand her control of their lives). Being a hero helps a lot with that, with branding and legitimacy and much more. People are, on the whole, content to trust her motivations if she just says the right words about justice and freedom and crap like that.

Weakness: EMP
Yeah, she's a robot, and although most of her systems are hardened, she's vulnerable to a lot of the things you'd expect a robot to be vulnerable to! Because she's a super-robot most of them (water, electricity) are only inconvenient, but a good EMP can shut her down but good.

Secret: Built by a Villain
Although she's pretty sure (99.9 to eight zeroes percent sure) that she's eliminated whatever security backdoors the late Dr. Quinn implanted in her programming, the fact that she was built by one of the generation's premier mad scientists is still something she'd rather not get out. People might stop her from taking over the world, after all!

Is Everywhere!
Although the tertiary drones she has running around are a bit useless for superhero work (she's mostly got them optimized for market research or personal interactions), it's not even vaguely difficult for some nefarious type to get their hands on one. That might present a security problem someday, seeing as how it's a distributed consciousness. It also means it's hard to go somewhere without being recognized.

160 PP starting. 0 PP spendable.
Total is 160 PP.

TFcommando

Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

Birchleaf

Personally, I would not mind having a few more points, but yeah, PL 8 is 120 in 3rd edition. I do not know about earlier ones...