A World Torn Asunder/The Dregs of MercTown (Pathfinder) - LGBTQA Friendly

Started by jeflint, August 05, 2017, 05:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeflint

**wags tail, smiling** Wow, a full day at work and so much going on. :)

I'm liking what I'm seeing and I'm looking forward to the character sheet review as much as the next Dragon Quest game... which is a LOT.

Sorry I'm so inactive but the middle of the month is reporting at my company and I need to get them out no later than Friday... so just a tad busy.

Jan's General Info, The F-List , On’s & Offs, absenteeism & BB Color Codes

Nygenn

Hey everyone, I just want to make clear for everybody here that I am not a GM and have no say on what gets approved here. I am merely a very motivated player who really wants to see this RP succeed and I can get very excited about character ideas and concepts. Listen to my comments or ignore them, you're free to decide how you wish to deal with me, though I don't think I give bad advice...  :-X

Anyway, I hope we're all clear on things now, as you were.

That said though, I do love character building, so if any of you want to bounce ideas or want player feedback on anything and please hit me up.  ;D

Vergil Tanner

GM Announcement

Hit Dice:

So, after a brief discussion with Flint, we have decided how to handle Hit Dice. If you have already rolled Hit Dice and these changes apply to you, please go back and alter your HP.

All characters get full HP at First Level (EG, a Fighter gets 10 + Con). At every subsequent level, you roll for HP. However, if you receive a number = to half your maximum or lower, you simply take Half + 1.

EG, if you are a Rogue and roll your d8 and get a 3, you take 5 HP instead. If you are a Wizard with d6 and roll a 2, you take 4. You would then apply Con as normal.

Anybody who has been screwed over by bad rolls, please amend your sheets to reflect this minor rule change.

Please and thank you!

Full Announcement Post Here: Please Read

Updated Application Status:

Current WIP Applications:
- Kathyan / Armine Thundercraft (Unchained Barbarian) -
- Keyotess / Muineth (Paladin) -
- Re Z L / Liliana Vess (Kineticist) -
- Hexed / ? ? ? (Swashbuckler 1 / Bard 2)
- Marie Reynolds / Shirish (Ranger / Vigilante) -
- Josh Arcanum / Bartholomew Fletcher (Fighter) -

Current Completed Applications:
- Codexa / Kallis (Unchained Ninja) -

Current Accepted Players / Characters:
- Vergil Tanner / Talan (Card Caster Magus) -
- Sain / Calitorn and Laica (Summoner) -
- Kujo / Shahazadi Ab-Beth Nahrain (Monk / Rogue) -
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

Kathyan

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on August 08, 2017, 06:41:08 PM
That's fair, but Kujo is correct in that the more detail you can add to your background and personality, the better the chance of making the cut, as it were. We're more after interesting characters than ones that have all their stats hammered out, so as much detail as you can add would be good.
I sort of figured it out and I plan to expand it but just in case I'm not able to (or I forget, as happened to me once) I wanted to at least have the basics as it's still sort of a busy week for me and I'm still waiting for the results of my audition from yesterday.

Also I know about mythweavers crushing tendency or whatever :P but now I have the tendency to keep backup of my chars on google docs, so yeah I should save this one as well before anything happens.

indarkestknight

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on August 08, 2017, 05:27:39 PM
2) As far as I am aware, access to the Planes is shut down, so...no Elementals. At all.

Fair enough.

Just to clarify, then, if all planar magic is blocked, the following is also nonfunctional:
• all teleportation effects, as they use the astral plane
• kineticists, as their powers are explicitly called out as being linked to the Ethereal Plane in Occult Adventures

Back to tinkering with Enthralling Victor, then. So, rough backstory: an ex-gladiator who won his freedom after either selling himself into indentured servitude to save his family from debt or being "rescued" by pirates and subsequently sold into slavery after being shipwrecked on an uninhabited island. Uses his charm as much as his swordarm. Some of the abilities of the Dashing Thief Swashbuckler archetype look like they'd be fun to play with... but even just going with an unarmored build is suboptimal and at this rate I'm concerned he'll end up being dead weight, especially since he'll only be regaining panache on critical hits and not killing blows (because I don't really envision him stealing from opponents that often midfight)... If I did use this, I might combine it with the Warlord Fighter archetype. I could dip into Scaled Fist or Oracle instead if I really wanted to get Cha to AC in one level instead of three, but that just seems cheesey when Warlord or the Sword Devil Ranger archetype seems like a better fit.

The alternative is trying to make a mesmerist who looks like he's a barbarian...

Input from anyone, especially from GMs, appreciated!

Re Z L

*Mixes up some Game of Thrones, Borderlands, and Magic the Gathering into a bowl and pours out the fiery mess into..."

Liliana Vess, the Flame Kineticist!

Also to address the "no planar stuff" as indarkestknight pointed out:  I left it kind of open-ended where her powers come from when I wrote up the bio.  But like he said, there's a large assortment of things that rely on other planes to function correctly, and the entirety of the Kineticist class depends on it by default.
A&A

jeflint

Quote from: Re Z L on August 08, 2017, 08:30:22 PM
*Mixes up some Game of Thrones, Borderlands, and Magic the Gathering into a bowl and pours out the fiery mess into..."

Also to address the "no planar stuff" as indarkestknight pointed out:  I left it kind of open-ended where her powers come from when I wrote up the bio.  But like he said, there's a large assortment of things that rely on other planes to function correctly, and the entirety of the Kineticist class depends on it by default.

I assumed kineticists were psychic...

indarkestknight

Quote from: jeflint on August 08, 2017, 08:37:45 PM
I assumed kineticists were psychic...

They are, and those psychic powers allow them to draw their power from the elemental planes through the ethereal. Several of their powers reference it.

Re Z L

QuoteKineticists are living channels for elemental matter and energy, manipulating the world around them by drawing upon inner reserves from their own bodies. Kineticists often awaken to their kinetic abilities during a violent or traumatic experience, releasing their power involuntarily. As kinetic power is seldom inherited, kineticists are rarely able to find mentors to guide them, so they must delve into these mysteries on their own to learn to control their gifts.

QuoteThis element determines how she accesses the raw power of the Ethereal Plane, and grants her access to specific wild talents (see below) and additional class skills.

The above is basically the crux of it.  Fluff-wise here's how it works by default:

The Ethereal Plane is coterminal/adjacent to the Prime Material plane as well as all of the elemental planes (including the positive and negative material planes).  The Kineticist taps into an inner reserve of power to gain access to (or through) the Ethereal plane.  This is pretty physically taxing in some cases, which is why they deal damage to themselves when they pull too much.  This is how they become "living channels" for elemental matter/energy.

Some possible alternatives for this game:

Maybe these individuals are like miniature "gates", but are extremely rare, allowing them to access another plane, if only in a singularly limited way.

Maybe they have latent elemental energy left over inside them that they have access to.

Maybe when the gate closed off elemental forces found suitable "hosts" to live in.

Maybe they just tap into the elemental forces of the planet itself.
A&A

Nygenn

Ah man, I really like your character concept and class. So cool, or hot rather...

I'm not a GM, I feel need to point that out every time, but I do have some questions for one after reading this. Feel free to comment as well Re Z L.
See, while the whole military conscription thing is probably fine, it's an age old concept after all, the police business may not necessarily be. I'm just wondering exactly how you're imagining this police force and crime to work. Perhaps I'm just overthinking things, but I feel like I'm reading a character profile for some film noir, or modern day urban setting. Maybe it's just the wording though. my question to the GM's is thus, in how far is all of this applicable? How organized is the city and it's security? Is there a justice system in place or is it more like the wild west where the local constables are judge, jury and executioner? Or are there no central officers at all, and are the only form of guards you see those that are hired by private houses, nobles or organizations? I mean, it could very well be that  a large part of the kind of missions that guild members perform are exactly these sort of things. I wonder...

Anyway, nice character, cool backstory and pretty well written too. ^^

Hexed

Work In Progress

Name: Tessela Jones, Tess, that bitch with the whip  (Yes it's a homage. If disliked I can hit up random generator for the family name)
Sex: Herm

Race: Human
Class: Swashbuckler (Mysterious Avenger) 1, Bard (Archeologist) 2
Alignment: Chaotic Good.

Level: 3
EXP: 3,300 / 6000

Basic Appearance:
A redhead of five ft four with a lithe and very flexible build. She's green eyed and freckled cheeked with a surprisingly unmarred skin of a pale tone. With a tendency to dress in darker colors and thicker garb she doesn't have a problem with more flashy or revealing garb.

Personality:
Bouncy and cheerful though with a few darker moments. Prone to singing and poking her nose into things  she's as liable to try stopping fights as she is to egg them on and jump right in.

Basic Background
For the most part curiosity seems to be the thing that runs the Jones' family, generations of explorers and researchers. And it was into this that Tessela was born, fourth in line to a history of knowledge and tradition. As she wasn't the the heir she was permitted more leeway in her growth which permitted her to spend time with the wandering storytellers and entertainers. Coming of age she underwent a family test, a nearby and 'safe' dungeon run where her blossoming skills were put to the test. It came as a bit of a surprise to her siblings that she was the one chosen to carry the weapon of their ancestors.

With whip in hand and a pack of gear she set out upon the land joining numerous expeditions into ruins and lost caves. She survived and learned but as her last trip to a temple belonging to one of the banished gods. Of all those that went in she was possibly the luckiest as her only marking was the effects of a backfired fertility 'blessing'. After several days within the ale cups she set out for the city of mercenaries to ply her luck and gain experience in the field. Sadly Mirtan just didn't seem to agree with her plans and despite months of roaming and small jobs she's no closer to an in with one of the guilds.

Short Term Goal: Gain more expedition/combat experience
Long Term Goal: Cure curse, possibly. Make the family proud by big discoveries, possibly run an expedition to a lost city or several. Retire with children and dozens of stories to tell them.
NPC's: Any non-player-characters that are important to your character / could pop up in-game?

Connections:

Theme Song:

The Stats and Saves, Overview:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Stats: These should be a 25 Point Buy. Include Stats AND Modifiers.
HP: 26
Str:  10 +0
Dex: 18 +4
Con: 12 +1
Int:   13 +1
Wis:  10 +0
Cha:  16 +3

Attack:
+2 standard melee
+6 weapon finesse
+8 masterwork whip

Ranged Attack:
+6 ranged

CMB:
+2 CMB normal
+6 CMB Disarm/Sunder/Trip with finesse weapon
+8 CMB trip finesse heirloom whip

AC:
17 (3 armor, 4 dex)
TAC:
FFAC:
CMD:
Fortitude Save: +1
Reflex Save:      +9
Will:                   +3
Initiative:           +4

Panache Pool:
3   (max 3)

Spells Per Day:
Lvl 1;  3 spells (2 + 1 high Cha bonus)

Max Weight, Light: 100lbs heavy, 33lbs light
Starting Wealth: 2,500gp

Skills:
Acrobatics +10
Diplomacy +7
Disable Device +12
Knowledge Arcana +6
Knowledge Dungeoneering +6
Knowledge Local +6
Perception +7
Perform Singing +9
Sleight of Hand +10
Spellcraft +6
Stealth +8
Use Magic Device +8

Skills, Feats and Class Features:

Skills:
Swashbuckler  (4+1+1(human) = 6
Bard (6+1+1(human)= 8/lvl

Languages (2 + Int (3) ):
Common, Draconic

Favorite Class Bonus
Bard; +2 Skill Ranks

Class Skills:
Acrobatics (Dex) (3)
Diplomacy (Cha) (1)
Disable Device (Dex) (3)
Knowledge Arcana (Int) (1)
Knowledge Dungeoneering (Int) (1)
Knowledge Local (Int) (1)
Perception (Wis) (3)
Perform Singing (Cha) (3)
Sleight of Hand (Dex) (3)
Spellcraft (Int) (1)
Stealth (Dex) (1)
Use Magic Device (Cha) (2)

Other Skills:

Spells Known:
Cantrips DC 13
Detect Magic
Read Magic
Mage Hand
Mending
Prestidigitation
First Level DC 14
Cure Light Wounds
Grease
Hideous Laughter

Racial Bonuses:
+1 feat at lvl 1
+1 skill point a lvl

Feats:
HB) Weapon Focus (Whip) +1 attack with whips
1) Combat Expertise; - 1 to hit/cmb on attack for +1 dodge AC
3) Whip Master; No OoO for using whips in melee, can do lethal dmg, Can dmg through AC/NAC

Traits:
Heirloom Weapon; +2 trip CMB when using Heirloom Weapon (Family whip)
Nimble Fingers, Keen Mind; +1 trait bonus on disable devices and is class skill

Class Bonuses:
Deeds[/i}
Derring-Do; 1 panache point on Acrobatics, Climb, Escape artist, fly, ride, swim checks to roll 1d6 and add to check. Can do after roll but before results. Nat 6 roll another 1d6. Continues till dex mod (4)
Dodging Panache; When attacked by melee immediate action spend 1 point to move 5ft gaining dodge bonus to ac equal to cha mod (3) against the attack.
Opportune Parry and Riposte; When attacked by melee spend 1 point, burn AoO to parry. Make attack roll, result greater then attack the attack miss. Must declare after attack announced but before roll. On success and if has 1 point min, immediate action to counter.

Swashbuckler (Avenger) Finesse;  Weapon Finesse with light/one handed piercing melee weapons and whips. Use Cha instead of Int as prerequisit for combat feats. Counts as Weapon Finesse feat

Bardic Knowledge; Adds half class lvl to all knowledge skills, can use knowledge skills untrained

Archaeologist's Luck (ex); swift action 7/rounds a day; +1 luck bonus on attack/saving throws/skill checks/dmg rolls. Counts as bardic performance for feat requirements.

Clever Explorer (ex); +1 bonus to disable device/perception, disable complex devices in half the time, open locks as standard action

Uncanny Dodge(ex);Can't be caught flatfooted, no dex loss to ac from invisible attacker

Inventory:

Magic Item Slots: [If you have Magic Items that require a slot, Slot them here]

Head:
Headband:
Eyes:
Shoulders:
Neck:
Chest:
Body:
Belt:
Wrists: Sleeves of Many Garments (1lb, 200g)
Hands:
Ring 1:
Ring 2:

Complete Inventory:

Starting Wealth: 2500gp
Max Weight:

List items here. Include price, weight, stats and effects.

Masterwork Studded Leather (175g, 20lbs)
Leather and metal stud armor

Dagger (2g, 1lb)

Masterwork Whip (501g, 2lbs)
Spell transmuted whip of well cared for leather.

Bards Kit (41g, 33.5 lbs)
Backpack, Bedroll, Belt Pouch, Flute, Flint & Steel, Ink, Inkpen, Iron pot, journal, mess kit, mirror, hemp rope (50ft), Soap, Torches (10), Trail rations (5), waterskin

Explorer's Outfit (free, 8lbs)
Sturdy Boots, Leather Breeches, Belt, Shirt/vest, gloves, cloak

Masterwork Thieves' tools (200g, 2lbs)
+2 disable device checks

Spell Component Pouch (5g, 2lbs)
Material components for spells

Traveler's Any-Tool (200g, 2lbs)
12 inch bar that is folded, twisted, hinged, bent to form almost any known tool.

Wand of Cure Light Wounds (750g)
50 charges of 1d8+1 healing

Alchemist's Kindness (5) (5g)
A powder that when mixed with water makes a fizzy liquid that removes hangovers ten minutes after drinking it.

Glowing Ink (4 vials) (20g)
Glowing Ink emits a faint but steady light that allows you to read it in normal darkness - including spells like darkness but not supernatural darkness created by deeper darkness. If glowing ink is on an object, +2 perception bonus to locate it.

End Wealth: 351 gold
Total Weight: 71.5 lbs

keyotess

By accepting what is and making the best use of every situation, life can be fulfilled without a constant demand for more. --Wen Tzu

In writing, a flaw is not the interesting part of a character.  What is interesting is how a person overcomes a flaw.  I want to read how a person overcomes a flaw, not how the flaw overcomes the person.

My story contribution: FemFour: superheroine, Futa, NC-H

On/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=335439.0

Nygenn

Quote from: keyotess on August 08, 2017, 09:38:29 PM
Some awesome characters!! :D

Indeed. At this rate it's going to be really hard for the GM's to choose only 5 players...

I'm liking Tessela quite a bit. She seems so open and honest and I'm sure she'll be lots of fun to interact with. She also shares many style similarities with my own character which I can see them bond over, or perhaps compete as rivals :p

Also, her singing will compliment my character's performances quite well I think.

Hexed

Not a drop of bluff in her. So need to expand the sheet though. But that's going to have to wait till the morrow.

And hey. A singer an' a performer make gold in the hat! :D

And yes jeflint/Vergil I got tired of searching pics again and just went with the one I had. I have absolutely no luck on that end

Re Z L

Quote from: Kujo on August 08, 2017, 09:24:50 PM
Ah man, I really like your character concept and class. So cool, or hot rather...

I'm not a GM, I feel need to point that out every time, but I do have some questions for one after reading this. Feel free to comment as well Re Z L.
See, while the whole military conscription thing is probably fine, it's an age old concept after all, the police business may not necessarily be. I'm just wondering exactly how you're imagining this police force and crime to work. Perhaps I'm just overthinking things, but I feel like I'm reading a character profile for some film noir, or modern day urban setting. Maybe it's just the wording though. my question to the GM's is thus, in how far is all of this applicable? How organized is the city and it's security? Is there a justice system in place or is it more like the wild west where the local constables are judge, jury and executioner? Or are there no central officers at all, and are the only form of guards you see those that are hired by private houses, nobles or organizations? I mean, it could very well be that  a large part of the kind of missions that guild members perform are exactly these sort of things. I wonder...

Anyway, nice character, cool backstory and pretty well written too. ^^

Glad you like  :)

There's a few different angles to approach the "law and order" thing.  The way it's set up now doesn't seem particularly sustainable, and likely given to corruption (I'm sure the most powerful guilds don't have to worry about the law so much).  But it's a meritocracy, so it's not too surprising.
A&A

keyotess

By accepting what is and making the best use of every situation, life can be fulfilled without a constant demand for more. --Wen Tzu

In writing, a flaw is not the interesting part of a character.  What is interesting is how a person overcomes a flaw.  I want to read how a person overcomes a flaw, not how the flaw overcomes the person.

My story contribution: FemFour: superheroine, Futa, NC-H

On/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=335439.0

Vergil Tanner

Quote from: indarkestknight on August 08, 2017, 08:27:01 PM
Just to clarify, then, if all planar magic is blocked, the following is also nonfunctional:
• all teleportation effects, as they use the astral plane

Yes. Unless otherwise stated, Teleportation does not work. However, that does not mean that NO Teleportation works....just none that you currently know of.

Quote from: indarkestknight on August 08, 2017, 08:38:57 PM
They are, and those psychic powers allow them to draw their power from the elemental planes through the ethereal. Several of their powers reference it.
Quote from: Re Z L on August 08, 2017, 08:52:25 PM
The above is basically the crux of it.  Fluff-wise here's how it works by default:

The Ethereal Plane is coterminal/adjacent to the Prime Material plane as well as all of the elemental planes (including the positive and negative material planes).  The Kineticist taps into an inner reserve of power to gain access to (or through) the Ethereal plane.  This is pretty physically taxing in some cases, which is why they deal damage to themselves when they pull too much.  This is how they become "living channels" for elemental matter/energy.

Some possible alternatives for this game:

Maybe these individuals are like miniature "gates", but are extremely rare, allowing them to access another plane, if only in a singularly limited way.

Maybe they have latent elemental energy left over inside them that they have access to.

Maybe when the gate closed off elemental forces found suitable "hosts" to live in.

Maybe they just tap into the elemental forces of the planet itself.

Eh. Leave it open ended for now, and just say "She can do this shit." If she gets accepted, we can handwave by either going "Nobody currently knows," or just saying "In our game, Kineticists are just psychic, but their psionics manifest in Elemental Control. Simples.

Josh Arcanum:

Your bio isn't done. I spotted some tweaks and mistakes, but I've PMed them to you.

@Hexed:

I found these with a poke around.

Re Z L:

One small thing; it wouldn't be "Police." Police are a modern invention, relatively speaking. It would be "Guards," "The Army" or "The Militia." Take your pick, but "Police" is a fairly modern term.

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Vergil Tanner

Zaer Darkwail

Hmmm, game looks quite full. But I can throw something up I think ;). So far thinking either Magus or Warlord (if Path of War is allowed source material). Either half-elf or a tiefling (with very human looking appearance instead usual horns, red skin and tail) as a race. With magus thinking bladebound and hexcrafter (so not kensai but more like 'dark magic magus').

Re Z L

The link to the world info specifically called them a Police Force, so I'm calling them a Police Force.
A&A

jeflint

Quote from: Re Z L on August 09, 2017, 05:49:30 AM
The link to the world info specifically called them a Police Force, so I'm calling them a Police Force.

To note that's only inside of Mirtan itself now. I didn't realize I didn't update that information to reflect that this campaign is about 500+ years from the Age of Heroes when it was last run.

Vergil Tanner

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on August 09, 2017, 05:49:07 AM
Hmmm, game looks quite full. But I can throw something up I think ;). So far thinking either Magus or Warlord (if Path of War is allowed source material). Either half-elf or a tiefling (with very human looking appearance instead usual horns, red skin and tail) as a race. With magus thinking bladebound and hexcrafter (so not kensai but more like 'dark magic magus').

We already have a Magus, so that might be a hard sell. Path of War is indeed available, but you'd need to get a sheet up by the end of tomorrow. ;)

Quote from: Re Z L on August 09, 2017, 05:49:30 AM

To add onto what Jam just said, the quote is also:

"The military serves two roles in this land, police force and military."

It's not specifically called a police force, it just fills the role of one. Hence, the people within the country would just call it "The Army," and police officers would be military officers.

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, what any culture info I would need know for making a warlord? Or warder or any class presenter who follows disciple of maneuvers?