News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Ann Coulter lives under a bridge...

Started by VenusEnvy, November 12, 2012, 09:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stattick

Quote from: LunarSage on November 14, 2012, 07:27:04 AM
I think in a perfect world we could all judge each other based on the individual.

Sadly, I don't think that perfect world exists. Psychological experiments continue to show that people that don't think they're racist still react differently to people of different races. I think that instinctual xenophobia is deeply ingrained in our DNA, and that we're not getting away from that any time soon.  :-(
O/O   A/A

Skynet

Quote from: Lux12 on November 13, 2012, 08:18:48 PM
Indeed. The problem with this country is that we listen to and worship celebrities as if they are divine authority. We can and will make a celebrity of anyone, and then people will listen to them.

This explains why Jersey Shore and Here Comes Honey Boo Boo are popular.

Lux12

Quote from: Skynet on November 14, 2012, 02:05:48 PM
This explains why Jersey Shore and Here Comes Honey Boo Boo are popular.
Exactly. I'm not entirely sure why this phenomenon seems so endemic in our culture, but that's how it is and it's rather awful.

Skynet

Normally I'd take it up as people enjoying watching a trainwreck, yet many people look up to The Kardashians as people to emulate in things like fashion, or that guys like "The Situation" are pretty cool instead of losers.  Granted there are many people who realize that these folks aren't proper role models, but too many children and adults see otherwise.

Sort of explains why firebrands like Coulter would gain popularity in certain circles and respect despite her histrionics.

Torch

Quote from: Stattick on November 14, 2012, 02:01:22 PM
Sadly, I don't think that perfect world exists. Psychological experiments continue to show that people that don't think they're racist still react differently to people of different races. I think that instinctual xenophobia is deeply ingrained in our DNA, and that we're not getting away from that any time soon.  :-(

See Jane Elliott, conductor the infamous "blue eye/brown eye" exercise. Her work should be standard reading for anyone who thinks racism doesn't excist anymore. 

I first saw her on an episode of "Phil Donahue" back in the 80's (which makes me friggin' old, but anyway...). It was fascinating watching her conduct the exercise on his audience.
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Skynet

I was genuinely surprised that many people said that we live in a "post-racial America" after the 2008 elections.  Including Chris Matthews, a news anchor, of all people said this!

Obama's election was indeed an historic moment, but it didn't magically erase prejudice and bigotry from this country.  On the contrary, the political far-right channels all sorts of racist fears about the President to otherize him: "he's a foreigner, he's not Christian, he's got a Kenyan anti-colonial worldview, he wants to steal money from hard-working white folk!"  It's sickening.

I've seen this "no racism in America" argument used by both the Left and Right under different contexts; barring intellectual dishonesty, I can't imagine how they got to this conclusion.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Torch on November 14, 2012, 08:18:50 AM
You don't get "magical success". What you do get is freedom from automatic suspicion. Big difference.

Actually, I don't get that.  I've been stopped twice so far in a major grocery store because some one thought I was doing a crime.  The first time was helping a little kid get back to his mom.  He actually grabbed my sleeve, so I took him to a cashier, instead the woman accused me of kidnapping.  Which the security guard almost believed her.  He was all ready to call the police on me.  And I was still told not to come back.  I remember saying that wouldn't be an issue.

The second time was just last week, some kid accused me of theft and when security came, he took off.  I'm pretty sure he was using me to deflect attention to him, but no proof.  Security still hauled me to a back office and had me open my coat and searched my stuff, which was one of their grocery baskets, and my satchel.  Which they didn't find anything, and I got another warning to watch myself.

Also, it's lessened a lot recently, there was this big thing about being a white male made you more likely to be a pedophile...  Not sure where that came from.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Shjade

Pretty sure serial killers are still statistically most likely to be white males, too, aren't they?
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Skynet

Quote from: Shjade on November 14, 2012, 07:45:49 PM
Pretty sure serial killers are still statistically most likely to be white males, too, aren't they?

I once read a book about serial killers, and it said that statistically most of them matched up to their country's largest racial demographic.

And I have nothing else to add to this conversation.

Oniya

'Most serial killers in [Country] are [demographic] because most people in [Country] are [demographic].'

Works for me.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Shjade

Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Lux12

Quote from: Oniya on November 14, 2012, 08:22:35 PM
'Most serial killers in [Country] are [demographic] because most people in [Country] are [demographic].'

Works for me.
It's logical is not?

Stattick

Most gunslingers in the old west had blue eyes. Therefore, having blue eyes makes you ~crAzY VioLeNt~.
O/O   A/A

Lux12

Quote from: Stattick on November 14, 2012, 10:51:45 PM
Most gunslingers in the old west had blue eyes. Therefore, having blue eyes makes you ~crAzY VioLeNt~.
It's been said that those with piercing blue eyes are destined to do great things or commit acts of unspeakable evil in some bits of folklore.

However the other thing is a matter of ratios and such.

gaggedLouise

*looks around the abundance of blue eyes in Scandinavia, and the very low share of native multiple killings or of serial killers of any kind*

*winks*

(yes, Anders Breivik has blue eyes but he and his act formed a total exception)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Chris Brady

Quote from: Shjade on November 14, 2012, 07:45:49 PM
Actually yes, even in countries where other races tend to dominate, I can't find the article but it claimed that more White Men than others that will classified as Serial Killers.  Again, 'classified', not being.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Oniya

oo-ee-oo-ee-oo

Wah-WAH-waaaaaah
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Avis habilis

I thought it was the squint. Too much squinting makes you want to get in gunfights.

Stattick

Quote from: Avis habilis on November 15, 2012, 07:23:58 AM
I thought it was the squint. Too much squinting makes you want to get in gunfights.

No, I thought it was the squinting that turns your eyes blue, and the blue makes you crazy. Like, I thought that's why Celt warriors painted themselves blue, to make themselves crazy and fierce for battle.
O/O   A/A

Lux12

Quote from: Stattick on November 15, 2012, 02:01:32 PM
No, I thought it was the squinting that turns your eyes blue, and the blue makes you crazy. Like, I thought that's why Celt warriors painted themselves blue, to make themselves crazy and fierce for battle.

That sounds a lot like the Orks from Warhammer talking about painting stuff red to make it go faster, which is about as insane as anything Anne Coulter has ever said.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Lux12 on November 15, 2012, 02:53:32 PM
That sounds a lot like the Orks from Warhammer talking about painting stuff red to make it go faster, which is about as insane as anything Anne Coulter has ever said.
But unlike Ann Coulter, the Orks are RIGHT.  Painting something red will go faster.  For them.  Because their psychic powers make it so.

Although, a Red car will more likely be caught for speeding by the cops.

Lux12

Quote from: Chris Brady on November 15, 2012, 03:07:38 PM
But unlike Ann Coulter, the Orks are RIGHT.  Painting something red will go faster.  For them.  Because their psychic powers make it so.

Although, a Red car will more likely be caught for speeding by the cops.

Wow that's sad.Even the Orks "paint it red" thing makes more logical sense than anything she has ever said.

Oniya

I was going to say something about how red things do go faster - as long as they're moving away from you.  Any astronomer will tell you that the faster a star is moving away from the Earth, the more its spectral lines are shifted toward the red.   ;D

Stattick

Stare into Ann Coulter's blue eyes of crazy!

O/O   A/A

Lux12

Quote from: Stattick on November 15, 2012, 03:17:21 PM
Stare into Ann Coulter's blue eyes of crazy!

Like I said, my current theory is that she's not really a conservative, but a severely mentally ill individual in desperate need of medication or therapy or a combination of both.