So....Sci-Fi Pathfinder, anyone? (Interest Check)

Started by Angie, February 16, 2015, 03:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angie

So I'm thinking of running a sci-fi Pathfinder game, after just watching Jupiter Ascending. The plot/setting will have nothing to do with the movie-well, their might be a couple places that seem similar-ruins of Jupiter, anyone?

The idea is that magic and technology is gonna get a little bit mixed together, where Wizards are throwing fireballs on floating spacecraft platforms and soldiers pack magic guns that fire freezing bullets. I figure the party will start out 3rd level, on a transport ship that doesn't pack any firepower, though the party can certainly upgrade from "rusty shitbox" to "rusty shitbox with rusty shitguns!" A balanced party would be nice, too.

Current Rule Changes: On firearms, Firearms only hit Touch AC in the first range increment. Beyond that, they must strike Normal AC. I like the feel of 'point-blank shots', so I'm going with this. Firearms use the "Guns Everywhere" rule, meaning all guns and ammo cost 10% of normal price.

Current players:
ExisD as Astrid, Fetchling Swashbuckler
D12 as Mera Nova, the Gillman Witch with Ringo, the Blue Star Octopus Familiar
Rikka as Maud, the Bugbear Bloodrager
and Three Slots Open!
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Chulanowa

well, firearms only hit touch AC in their first range increment, and like all ranged weapons, suffer penalties for shooting past that, plus penalties for shooting into melee, or from cover, plus reload times... the only class that can pull off firearms in pathfinder is the gunslinger, and even they have to invest pretty heavy. If you take away the touh AC, they actually become worse than crossbows.

And crossbows look really silly in sci-fi

Angie

My information said the first five. If it's only the first range increment, then I can live with it by just making the rooms really god damn big.

Chulanowa

Well, it's space, and as Carl Sagan tells us, the universe is infinite... so, make your rooms as big as you like!  ;D

ChaoticSky

Quote from: Angiejuusan on February 16, 2015, 06:04:48 PM
My information said the first five. If it's only the first range increment, then I can live with it by just making the rooms really god damn big.
Early Firearms (ala muskets, flintlocks, stuff slingers normally use in Golarion) are first Range Increment. Advanced firearms (ala assault rifles, revolvers. etc) use first five.

So a better house rule might be that all firearms are considered primitive for rule purposes.  ;D

Chulanowa

Oh yes, and interest here - so long as we have our selection of races and classes.  ;D So many "nothing but human and elves! only!" games out there...

ChaoticSky

Quote from: Chulanowa on February 16, 2015, 06:24:21 PM
Oh yes, and interest here - so long as we have our selection of races and classes.  ;D So many "nothing but human and elves! only!" games out there...
I've never seen a game like that, at worst they demand core races only.  :o

ExisD

Quote from: Darkling on February 16, 2015, 06:25:22 PM
I've never seen a game like that, at worst they demand core races only.  :o

A lot of core race only games end up with everyone choosing human or elf. Sometimes half-elf or halfling, but those are rarer.

Angie

I agree with Darkling, I will set even advanced firearms to only use touch against the first range increment.

As for races: All races are allowed. And I mean ALL. Hell, wanna be a Space Orc? Go for it.

Since we've got a few people kickin' around, I will say this: Firearms are under the "Guns Everywhere" rule, meaning the actual cost for them is 10% of the normal list price. Additionally, I plan on starting you guys at 3rd level, with a rusty shitbox transport ship. The plot will be you guys are deep in debt in order to pay off said rusty shitbox, and are heading to an unknown planet that's reported to have several artifacts on it, which would allow you guys to easily pay off the debt and have a pretty sweet little sum left over. Of course, considering this is Pathfinder...it ain't gonna be that easy.

rikka

Gluttony is a sin, I know.  But even if I feel my plate is already brimming, I can't help but be interested in the concept of this game.  Might throw in a Bugbear something into this, maybe.
Whatever the outcome, it's on you.

Ons/Offs

ExisD

Ohh, I have such a fun idea for a Picaroon swashbuckler with whose goal is to terrify her opponents into submission. Though it might not be the most effective build.

Chulanowa

Could... could this be my chance for a minotaur? A gnoll? kobold?

D12

Quote from: Chulanowa on February 16, 2015, 07:01:50 PM
Could... could this be my chance for a minotaur? A gnoll? kobold?

Kobolds In Spaaaaaaaaace!
Quote from: Angiejuusan
D12 has earned the power of the GM's Laughter! This does nothing but tell the world you made the GM laugh out loud!

Chulanowa

Quote from: D12 on February 16, 2015, 07:19:41 PM
Kobolds In Spaaaaaaaaace!

Space, what's your favorite thign about space, going to space, can't wait! space, trial, space system on trial, guilty! ...Of not being in space go to space jail!

D12

Although a combination Gnoll Space Marine would be terrifying.
Hyena man in power armor.

EDIT: although upon thinking about it.

When you say 'any race' do you mean, any race -that-has-been-made, any race -you-can-think-of/stat with the race builder-, or any race -within-#-race-points?
D12 has earned the power of the GM's Laughter! This does nothing but tell the world you made the GM laugh out loud!

ExisD

Quote from: D12 on February 16, 2015, 07:31:47 PM

That reminded me of the God Emprahsque of Mankind, a very silly 40k fan idea.

I'm also trying to figure out which race to go for since there are so many choices now.

D12

Angie

Quote from: D12 on February 16, 2015, 07:31:47 PM

EDIT: although upon thinking about it.

When you say 'any race' do you mean, any race -that-has-been-made, any race -you-can-think-of/stat with the race builder-, or any race -within-#-race-points?

Any race that has been made. I've never played with the Race Builder, so let's not touch that for now.

This is your chance to make characters for approval. 3rd level, FAST speed.

ExisD

Umm, what initial point buy are we going with?

As for race, I'm trying to decide between Suli, Dahmpire, Fetchling, and Shabti Swashbuckler(Picaroon). 

I know that sort of messes up the monstrous theme everyone else seems to be going for, but I haven't found a monster race I really like yet. I could do half-orc as well maybe.

rikka

Character background/concept first?  Yeah, like what ExisD said about point buy?

Ons/Offs

D12

Quote from: Angiejuusan on February 16, 2015, 07:52:15 PM
Any race that has been made. I've never played with the Race Builder, so let's not touch that for now.

Hmm. Well not gonna be a bug. Maybe a Gillman gotta reshuffle my brain space.

rikka

Quote from: Angiejuusan on February 16, 2015, 07:52:15 PM

So bugbears and minotaurs are off the list then...

Ons/Offs

Angie

Quote from: rikka on February 16, 2015, 08:06:07 PM

Pretty sure bugbears and minotaurs have been made. If you really want something, PM me and talk to me about it, if you show it to me, I can be convinced.

20 point buy for stats, forgot that bit, sorry!

ExisD

Quote from: rikka on February 16, 2015, 08:06:07 PM

You might be able to reskin Ogre as Minotaur.

One more race I was thinking of is also the Kasatha. Probably a ninja or rogue to make use to all of those arms.

D12

Bugbears & Minotaurs have not been stated as playable races to my knowledge.

And just speaking as someone who has worked with the Race Builder, 20RP is probably on the upper end of what I'd be comfortable playing with. Most core races come in somewhere between 10 and 15, Svirfnblin come in at 23.
Drow Nobles are the highest I know of in the non-homebrew category at a truly obscene 41; Gnolls are the lowest I know of at a rather sad 6.