melting asphalt. (supernatural, gritty neon)

Started by Nevada, September 25, 2018, 04:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nevada

INTRO
I’ve been craving a setting more than an actual plot. This doesn’t happen too often to me, so this is my attempt at dealing with it. Basically, I’m looking to write in a modern but not quite normal setting, in that the supernatural is visible, active and accepted in varying degrees, or at the very least, considered a normal part of life (and death.) This is basically the culmination of me reading far too many prompts, all of which explain this better than I can, so I’ll just give you the sentence bank I’ve gathered that roughly explains the sort of vibe I’m looking for. I’m looking for a certain degree of gritty realism here, please take that into account.

You drive and drive and drive, looking for a city that never sleeps. The sky darkens; your car melts into the pavement. You are the city. You never sleep. / The neighborhoods the sun lays to waste this year. / That slushie isn’t cherry, it’s blood. / There was information in my head that didn’t seem to belong to me. How much a kilo of rice usually sold for, and what the weather was like in Japan. / It was getting more and more dangerous to live in my neighborhood. I put bars on my windows, and weaponized the plants on my balcony. / “The problem with worshipping old gods, is that they are in desperate need of champions. And pickings are slim.” / My bus home wasn’t taking its usual route. I didn’t recognize this part of town, or the color of the sky. / Flickering motel lights and thieves and snakes hiding in sunset deserts. / The witching hour was whenever she felt like doing some witching. Today, it was two pm.

INSPIRATIONAL MOODBOARD
(sfw, minor blood)

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

PLOT
I’m looking for a partner willing to write in this scenario. Plot? What plot? I don’t have a plot, at least not yet. I normally stray far from stereotyped pairings, but for the sake of giving you some more vibes: here are some ideas.
  • I thrive on conflict. In character, not out of character. One eldritch being against someone markedly more human. Is it personal? Maybe, maybe not. Sometimes it’s just business.
  • Contractual obligations; the unexpected butterfly effect of starting something you might not be able to finish as you intended.
  • Crime. Stealing, thieving, conning, the whole shebang.
  • Unfortunate partnership that slips into the physical.
  • (Psychological) manipulation, no one knows all the games that are played.
  • Dubious friendships, better a fake friend than a real enemy.
  • Your ideas! I do love input. Like, if you’ve been craving a supernatural creature x hunter thing, I can think of at least three ways to work that into the plot, so just let me know if there’s something you particularly fancy.

BACKGROUND
  • Me and writing: I prefer writing one main character, and I’m currently heavily leaning into my women vibe. On the other hand, I’m also liable to populate a borough with characters of my own creation, and I definitely don’t mind writing multiple storylines at the same time, if my partner is of a similar disposition.
  • You and writing: I don’t care about what you identify as, nor do I particularly care about the gender of the character you want to write. I’m currently itching to write more women, so if that’s something you can work with, we’re good. You enjoy world-building, aren’t afraid to come up with plots together, and are willing to write more than one character if the story calls for it.
  • Content: I have no idea of the content level, this would be plotting dependent. I don’t have a defined smut-to-plot ratio at the moment. Check my ons and offs to see if we’re compatible. If something’s not listed, don’t hesitate to ask me.
  • Setting: Modern, sprawling urbanized area, but with a defined supernatural twist. I’m feeling Western/Southern part of the USA at the moment, like Phoenix or Los Angeles, but Chicago or NYC would also be perfect. If you’re not much into actual places, I don’t mind worldbuilding a city of our own. Timeline, probably around now, give or take a few years. The supernatural details we can has out together, but I’m inclined to it being a “normal” part of life on earth.
  • Requirements: Ability to post twice a week minimum on the forums, I find that less than that makes me lose interest in the game too quickly, in terms of actual writing. I’m a sucker for plotting, but I need a balance. Feel free to check my posting history to see if we’re compatible in terms of writing styles. No need to put a label on the length on your posts in advance.
  • Other info: I debated whether I wanted to put this as a request for a one shot or in this forum. I’m not necessarily looking for an epic tale to end all past epics, I’m just as comfortable with writing a smut-filled one shot if that’s more your speed.

INTERESTED? Great! Drop me a PM. Please include your name or alias, any other tidbits about yourself you’re comfortable sharing, what interested you about my request, any plot ideas you have, and relevant kinks or limits, and I’ll get back to you as soon as possible if we're a match.
A&A (updated 8/9/16)