News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Hogwarts: More Than Magical (Full)

Started by kckolbe, April 18, 2013, 02:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kckolbe

A phoenix would definitely qualify as a special pet, and one that would be welcomed.

Sorry for missing the question, Meliai.  Yes, I will be handing out xp and allowing you to improve your characters.  Note that I will not allow you to spend it as soon as you receive it, but there will be periods that I will allow spending. 

I am very open to adding both Qualities and Drawbacks to the list.  I just added a Drawback today for Muse (Big and Slow), and am still working on the Improved Animagus Quality. 

I'm not a fan of "overconfident" style flaws.  They almost never matter, but when they do it's usually death.  I'll try to think of a curiosity-related one, maybe a -1 penalty during classes because she's always so tired from staying up late and exploring.  Does that sound like something that would interest you for her?  Alternatively, there is always Flaw (Any), which just gives you -1D to any ability if you can justify why.  I definitely recommend it.

Also, given her agility and her "legacy," would you see her as a member of the Quidditch team for her House?

An owl is fine as a pet, and Muggle Studies is missing from her list of "others," as you have History of Magic twice.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

AmberStarfire

When do you need a sheet by?

Can my character (a Ravenclaw if possible) have a snake?

kckolbe

There is no rush on char sheets.  I am still posting all of the rules.  A snake would be allowed, depending on what kind of snake.  A small king snake or small boa (or smaller) would be fine.  Anything venomous or longer than the owner would require Animal Cohort.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

persephone325

Um... Maybe I'm blind, but where is the character sheet?
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

kckolbe

People have been making their own, will post a template to the first post soon.

EDIT: Done

Intro Thread

AmberStarfire

kckolbe

Intro Thread

Meliai

Fixed the class list. I'm going to keep her petless for the moment, and see about getting her one once the game's been going for a while. Vi was sharing an owl with Rani until she graduated last year, but Rani took him with her and their parents aren't pleased with Vidya's grades so she doesn't get her own yet.

I can see her having played quidditch her second and third year and starting this year, though she'll probably drop out after a few games. Between the inter-house fighting it tends to foster and her sister being gone she probably wouldn't have the patience to last too long.

That sounds like a perfect concept for a drawback, particularly since her being rather lackluster as far as classes go has already been established ;D
Would it perhaps be possible to buy off a drawback with a Destiny Point (either temporarily or permanently, depending on whether you invest or burn the point)? Because that would be a pretty much perfect mechanical reflection of her occasional bouts of focus.
    {{A/As updated 5/8}}           

kckolbe

It is possible to buy off drawbacks, but this can not be done whenever, only during times when xp can be spent. What you can do is spend a destiny point on a roll that has the penalty.

Intro Thread

Blinkin

Then, Darci has her own Pheonix... I just love the things. ;) I'll make the change to the character.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Rogue

Ummmmm... KC I was under the impression we couldn't choose houses yet, but I can't make my character until I know which house as I have two extremely different characters in mind. >.< Any idea when we'll know?

kckolbe

I would recommend just giving a blurb of each one without listing the Houses.  In addition to balance issues, I want to avoid having *all* of the academic types in Ravenclaw, *all* the adventurous ones in Gryffindor, etc.  After all, most students end up where their family went or where friends are going.  Sentimental reasons trump almost everything else.

What is most important to me is that each House has characters that complement each other and ideally make working in certain plot hooks easier. 

Unfortunately, you won't know until I have all of the concepts (with most of the char sheets done), which probably won't be for about a week or so. 

Intro Thread

Rogue

*laughs* Personally I was choosing between ambitious or loyal but I suppose I can do both. Give me another day or so to do a sheet.

kckolbe

There are ambitious folks in all houses, definitely loyal in all 4.  Hell, in the books, no one demonstrated loyalty like Slytherin.  That could be because everyone hated them though.  Still counts.

Intro Thread

Rogue

*laughs* Personally I think it goes more off the motivator than the actual actions but that's just me. *grins* Either way, I can totally work on it.

kckolbe

Also, if it helps at all, you can play two characters, though don't take on more than you can handle.  The only difference is that one character would be slightly weaker overall.

Intro Thread

persephone325

Quote from: kckolbe on April 19, 2013, 06:14:37 PM
People have been making their own, will post a template to the first post soon.

EDIT: Done

Somehow I missed this and was about to ask again. lol Nevermind!
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Meliai

Honestly it seems like you can take any decently fleshed out character and fit them in at least two or three houses, if not all four. It's all about how you frame their actions. Various iterations of Vidya have been in every house but Gryff, and in general I have the most fun playing up the aspects of her personality that DON'T fit with her house more than anything else.
    {{A/As updated 5/8}}           

Rogue

Quote from: Meliai on April 19, 2013, 08:54:08 PM
Honestly it seems like you can take any decently fleshed out character and fit them in at least two or three houses, if not all four. It's all about how you frame their actions. Various iterations of Vidya have been in every house but Gryff, and in general I have the most fun playing up the aspects of her personality that DON'T fit with her house more than anything else.

It was more specifically how I was going to play the characters not their actual characteristics. *grins* But you are very right.

kckolbe

All of my NPCs have been members of two different houses.  I kinda liken it to the Four Lenses personality test.  There are generally characteristics of the three most prominent and one that is rejected.  The only time this becomes really difficult is when the character has canon ties, which is generally avoided.

Rogue, if you want to talk about your concepts without giving too much away, feel free to PM me.  My YIM, PMs and e-mail are available to anyone in the game.  Just PM me for the e-mail address.

Intro Thread

Rogue

Codexa

Ooh! Interested! :D

Not entirely sure, If I want to play a male or female yet.

I have concepts for both genders...just gotta decide. hmm...

kckolbe

Intro Thread

Tydorei

Kdyami

Ok draft 1  make sure I didn't flunk math.....again.

Also a question: a mudblood witch has non magical children.  Those children have a magical child.  The witches grandchild is a ?? mudblood?

Name: Xavril (Zave-Rill) Robeson
Nationality: American
Blood Status:
Year: 6th
House: (Leave Blank)
Description: -
Personality:-
Background: -
Interesting Fact: Heterochromia.
Wand: Yew, Ramora, regular
Pet: Horned owl

Agility: 3 (Acrobatics)
Athletics: 3
Awareness: 3
Cunning: 3
Deception: 2
Endurance: 3 (Stamina)
Fighting: 3 (longblades)
Knowledge: 3
Magic Expertise: 4 (Transfiguration)
Magic Projection: 4 (Transfiguration)
Marksmanship: 3 (Rays)
Persuasion: 3
Reflexes: 3 (quickness)
Stealth: 3 (sleight of hand)
Will: 3

Classes:
Majors (History of Magic, Ancient Runes)
Minors (Care of Magical Creatures, Herbology, Potions)
Others (Arithmancy, Divination, Astronomy, Muggle Studies)

Qualities:
Keen senses
Acrobatic Defense
Favored Spell: -
Animagus: White Wolf

Drawbacks:
Marked: -
Flaw: Status

Hey all I'm property of the U.S government and as such I may randomly disappear for a day or two.  I apologize in advance but I'll get back to you ASAP