Hidden in the Smoke - D&D 5E {Iron Kingdoms} Recruiting

Started by Kakihara, January 08, 2024, 07:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shengami

Depends entirely on where you are. What culture you are operating in. Caen is not a monolith cultures and different people use different construction materials.

So, where you thinking of?
Am I on the hunt for a story? - Not especially...
O/os
My General LFGs
Canon LFGs
My Poetry Thread

Rashol

Hi I'm still eyeing Khador.

And thinking either winter guard survivalist type and/or engineering type.

So how would engineering work would it be Smith's tools or something else. Is it a class? I'm curious. I'm more interested in fixing stuff in the environment than using engineering as a weapon.

The winter guard type is easy enough. It's probably either fighter or ranger.

shengami

Quote from: Rashol on January 16, 2024, 03:46:18 AMHi I'm still eyeing Khador.

And thinking either winter guard survivalist type and/or engineering type.

So how would engineering work would it be Smith's tools or something else. Is it a class? I'm curious. I'm more interested in fixing stuff in the environment than using engineering as a weapon.

The winter guard type is easy enough. It's probably either fighter or ranger.
There's a mechanik class in Requiem. Unique to IKRPG. This gives you the ability to tinker and a few other fun things. Think of it as a Artificer with now magic and more mechanical tricks. There's definitely mechanics in the winter guard. It is the general "army" for Khador after all and encompasses more than just frontline grunts, heavy weapons teams, etc. But if you wanted to add a bit of that trained soldier flare, try the soldier background or a level of gunfighter. Another class unique to IKRPG. I am sure that if you asked Kakihara or me, we could give you the mechanics of a level 1 mechanik.

As for my concept, something Cryxian is my aim. Not sure if I want to do gifted or strictly military. Either a scharde islander or a Satyxis if I can persuade GM-sama. Haha. And Come up with a good enough story.
O/os
My General LFGs
Canon LFGs
My Poetry Thread

Rashol

Thanks! It might even be rogue for disabling mechanical traps or working out how the big gears work to get the train to move or the vault to open.

Got washed up on Cygnar shores somewhere, after determining you were "safe" you work in the city. Job done. ;)

shengami

Aw well, I was tinkering and my basic ideas went AWOL.

Now I am building a warrior priest of Morrow to bring the heals and the business end of a mace to bear.

Again and still, anyone wanting to link character concepts up, hit me up. Sibling, lover, enemy, it's all good and super fun.
O/os
My General LFGs
Canon LFGs
My Poetry Thread

Rashol

Awww... Was that because someone else mentioned them or they just went for a party somewhere and didn't invite you?

I'm feeling very uncertain personally.

I hear from a review that combat mechanic, the closest to my engineer type idea, benefits from having a warjack around, but since there are no warjacks available. (Warcaster banned) not sure how useful it is independently.

Someone else mentioned they wanted arcane mechanic so I'm ok to let them have that. And Ironhead I just don't want to do.

We already have one gunslinger on the cards. (I thought it was you Shengami when you mentioned Satyxis).

Maybe I just work out the character first and worry about mechanical stuff afterwards.

Hexed

Lots of options around and multiclassing certainly seems common

Well that was a wrong button.

Anyways the setting mentions multiclassing being common so might be able to build something that way.

Revelation

Undecided on character type. Maybe a paladin of Morrow or maaaaybe Menoth if I can squeak a justification for that in. or just a soldier (IE: Fighter) type with no real religious affiliation. human most likely.

Angie

Question, do only humans get ability score increases? I don't see them listed on any of the other races, is there something I'm missing? Or is the Essence thing supposed to take care of that and I've just been completely confused by the debate happening in this thread?
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Revelation

Quote from: Angie on January 16, 2024, 03:34:31 PMQuestion, do only humans get ability score increases? I don't see them listed on any of the other races, is there something I'm missing? Or is the Essence thing supposed to take care of that and I've just been completely confused by the debate happening in this thread?
What's normally the case for Essences is that they work in place of a races +'s to stats in part, and the other half of the stat bonus you'd normally get comes from iron kingdoms backgrounds which give you a +1 to another stat . IE: picking the Mighty essence for +2 to strength, and then picking the Iron Fang background for your character would give you +1 to str or con. I am unsure if we're going with that or not but I assume that would be the case.

Hexed

submission sheet has a spot for Essence and I'm pretty sure the GM decided on using them just can't seem to scroll far enough back during a reply. :D

Essence is a neat concept and nicely lets you be less hindered by race choice.

Rashol

@Hexed Functionally agree, however you can still be hindered by race choice. Just in other directions. Eg. My concept and background are saddled with having to take an essence that increases int. And my background choice clashes with my race choice and my potential class choice (overlapping proficiencies) even though they are thematically compatible and exactly what I wanted.

My overall feeling now that I've actually seen a (pdf) copy of the book is I still love the Iron Kingdoms but the book needed a lot of tlc before release.

Kakihara

Quote from: Angie on January 16, 2024, 03:34:31 PMQuestion, do only humans get ability score increases? I don't see them listed on any of the other races, is there something I'm missing? Or is the Essence thing supposed to take care of that and I've just been completely confused by the debate happening in this thread?
My bad, I had removed all the racial bonus from the other races when I decided to go with Essence but messed up on that.  The only stat bonus should be coming from Essence and Backgrounds.  I'll fixe that up on the worldbuilding.

Angie

Ah shoot, do I need the Iron Kingdoms book then? I can probably get my hands on it...

Kakihara

Quote from: Angie on January 16, 2024, 04:37:15 PMAh shoot, do I need the Iron Kingdoms book then? I can probably get my hands on it...
Nope, if you look in that same section I have listed Essences and their bonuses so you should be able to use them.

Edit:  Though if you can get your hands on the book, the Backgrounds in there do give you a little more extra than the standard D&D ones so up to you on that.

Angie

That's what I meant, for background reasons if I needed the Iron Kingdoms book, but if I can manage with normal 5e backgrounds then I'm fine. In fact, "Gifted" Essence might work better with a Sorcereress I have *repeatedly* tried to use in games but the games all keep dying :P

Marie Reynolds

@shengami  Well I am thinking my Nyss grew up in Ord and  as they grew older took  labor jobs both in Ord and Cygnar.

Rashol

Is mechanic d8 hit dice or d6

The general class table says d8, the class description says d6.

shengami

@Rashol  One thing about IKRPG, the lore is meant to be taken seriously. Heck, in lore, if you're not Gifted, you shouldn't have magic. They ignore that mechanically, but kind of suggest that you don't. Humans are just humans, they're broken up by nationality. Etc. Build the character, then worry about mechanics.

@Marie Reynolds  Jaspar, MC, grew up in the Ogunholt Forest the son of a charcoal maker killed in war. Not sure if it was a major conflict or a local dispute as not sure what the date ICly is. Welcome to have someone tag along with him, but in his current iteration, he joined the MOrrowan church and served there for years. That could change though if you wanted to pair up.

@Revelation I also recall you making some mention of being frenemies. A Menite makes a great frenemy for a Morrowan...
O/os
My General LFGs
Canon LFGs
My Poetry Thread

Marie Reynolds

Shengami I will let you know when I have fleshed out more of  my Nyss's story and what not.  I have not chosen which City In Ord home yet. 

Rashol the only d6 on the chart of classes  that has a d6 is the Alchemist. Mechanik is a d8.

Rashol

@shengami I appreciate that. At the same time I hate feeling like I *have* to take Handle Animal and Intimidate as my race proficiencies because I get Athletics and Survival as my background proficiencies.

Personally, I wanted to go Mighty essence, but felt that I would be spending so much time making my character competent during the level ups where everyone else would be starting as competent.

I would be willfully building an underpowered character. If I go character first, and kind of a one note thing. But they wouldn't even sing that note particularly well.

Hexed

Quote from: shengami on January 16, 2024, 05:00:23 PM@Rashol  One thing about IKRPG, the lore is meant to be taken seriously. Heck, in lore, if you're not Gifted, you shouldn't have magic. They ignore that mechanically, but kind of suggest that you don't. Humans are just humans, they're broken up by nationality. Etc. Build the character, then worry about mechanics.
Which actually is kind of funny as Gifted is 'needed' for magic but the stat bonus doesn't do Cha which sorcerers as the 'first' casters use. :D

Marie Reynolds

@Kakihara  The Labor boss gives Proficiency in Steam jacks but since they will not be appearing much would you be okay with me swapping out that proficiency for proficiency in a second set of artisan tools?

Revelation

Quote from: Hexed on January 16, 2024, 05:43:30 PMWhich actually is kind of funny as Gifted is 'needed' for magic but the stat bonus doesn't do Cha which sorcerers as the 'first' casters use. :D
Looks like Kakhiara is allowing Gifted to give +2 charisma though which is nice.

Hexed

That is very nice. And something I hadn't noticed. Thanks for pointing it out!