Life In The Ludis:Just about full, could use one or two more house slaves.

Started by Urbanzorro, February 06, 2014, 05:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGTDan

Quote from: IrishWolf on February 08, 2014, 01:10:26 AM
Which region of Gaul was Brutus serving near and what tribe is Brietta from?
I would be lying if I said I knew anything in depth about the Gauls, if you have knowledge of such things by all means suggest away.
“We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”  -Dr. Seuss
Proudly Demisexual
Do you love Star Trek? Answer the Call to Duty
My RP Requests

IrishWolf

Ah, as it is, I happen to have a map of Gaul right before the Gallic Wars, which would be right around when our story is taking place and it shows where many of the tribes were located

Gaul was divided into five sections. Gallia Narbonensis and Gallia Cisalpina already under Roman rule. Gallia Celtica, Gallia Belgica, Gallia Aquitania remain Barbarian. All five were part of the La Tène culture and had Celtic tribes in them but only Gallia Celtica was primarily Celtic and Julius Caesar referred to them as "proper Gauls". Funny thing to, the Romans called them Gauls but the tribes living in the region called themselves Celts.

SGTDan

Ah yes I knew that much, I figured you meant the prominent tribes within those regions.

As for the area I was aiming for Gallia Celtica but past the regions the Celts/Gauls inhabited I know little about their culture or the tribes within those regions. I know the basics from Julius Caesars book but beyond that not much. I've been meaning to read up on it since my love for Vikings seems to translate over to the Gauls. Looking at the map though I am not sure where he would of been stationed I want to say somewhere in the region of the Rhine,Daub or Elbe rivers.

Any suggestions as to the tribes in that are would be appreciated.
“We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”  -Dr. Seuss
Proudly Demisexual
My RP Requests

Vanetias

Quote from: SGTDan on February 08, 2014, 02:04:56 AM
Ah yes I knew that much, I figured you meant the prominent tribes within those regions.

As for the area I was aiming for Gallia Celtica but past the regions the Celts/Gauls inhabited I know little about their culture or the tribes within those regions. I know the basics from Julius Caesars book but beyond that not much. I've been meaning to read up on it since my love for Vikings seems to translate over to the Gauls. Looking at the map though I am not sure where he would of been stationed I want to say somewhere in the region of the Rhine,Daub or Elbe rivers.

Any suggestions as to the tribes in that are would be appreciated.

http://www.heritage-history.com/www/heritage.php?Dir=wars&FileName=wars_gallic.php

Maybe this would help?

IrishWolf

Hmm, I'm not sure that Roman had any troops stationed near the the Rhine or Danube at the time of our story and nowhere near the Elbe for sure. Roman territory did come close to Lake Constance though, which is one the Rhine (you can see the lake on the map, near the Helvetii) and the river itself forms the dividing line between Gaul and Germania. In fact, I don't think the Roman were on the Rhine until after Caesar conquered Gaul and was fighting Germanic tribes, who were crossing the river into Gallic territory.

SGTDan

Ah that would make sense the whole BC and AD years get confusing after awhile. My bad on that one so I would assume then that he served somewhere near Lake Constance then. I am unsure of the exact borders at the time but I can see him serving along the Gallia Cisalpina borders mostly. As for Brietta's tribe...hmmm Helvetii would make most sense location wise. That sounds pretty solid to me given what I've read in the town time between posts.

How does it sound? Also I imagine it would be a surprise for Conchar when Brutus speaks to him in fluent Gallic
Proudly Demisexual
My RP Requests

IrishWolf

heeheehee, yeah, BC and AD can trip people up. That plan sounds pretty solid to me and it will differently but interesting when Conchar finds out Brutus can speak his native tongue.

Vanetias

Not sure if possible, but can your character make an arranged treaty/marriage to the Gaul tribe who saved him? It would be more of "Cultural exchange program" in that the Romans will bring in a few Gauls to their culture, in hopes of them teaching the greatness and wonder of Romans, or point out 'flaws' in Gaul culture in order to 'uplift' the Gauls. He can get his beloved(If she was not arranged to another man, of which he could challenge him to a duel to her hand), and the Romans get to show the Gauls how superior the culture is. (And if possible, maybe bag along a few potential servants and gladiators along the way, just keep them at aw from the Gaul gladiator champ.)

Urbanzorro

Well the thing is that Romans viewed themselves as so superior during this time(and for nearly all their history) that marriage to non Romans (or Roman citizens) was considered quite taboo and unsightly for any but the lowest class of Roman citizens, the plebeians. (Aka the plebs). The only way it would be seen as acceptable would be in the case of marrying into royalty (and usually a daughter not a son). Also Romans considered to be Celts and Gauls to be among the most savage barbarians, they often during the late republic viewed them as just a step above beasts. So the fact that Brutus loves a Gaul and wishes to marry her/build a life with her, would be quite a scandal to any who knew. And probably a source of conflict and disgrace between him and his family if they knew of it. Roman culture had a strong tradition of viewing anything non-Roman as inferior to the point of being beneath consideration in terms of being people/civilized. With very few exceptions.

So the short answer is that at the family's class level any kind of genuine relationship that went further than business or simple exotic pleasure would be considered quite scandalous and embarrassing for the family. With the marriage of a son to a non-Roman (especially one form the Gallic regions) would not be approved by just about all members of the family and seen as a disgraceful point of conflict and friction. Roman family members had been disowned for much less. That having been said Brutus wouldn't be disowned in this case because his father sees potential in him and hopes to change him of his mind/cure him of his 'forest fever' which he expects will pass given time in proper civilization.
I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

kcrunch55

Marius
by kcrunch55
Role: Doctore
Gladiator Type: Trained in nearly all styles
Orientation: Hetero
Appearance Details: Marius is average height for a Roman, at 5'7" and has a powerful, stocky frame from years of combat training. It is his speed and agility that sets him apart from others, his movement has been likened to that of a lion. Marius has surprisingly few scars for a former gladiator; the most notable of which are on his left cheek, a long one running down his right quad and the lacerations on his back from the whip. 
Personality: Marius is a fierce competitor with a calm demeanor. He is typically good nature'd and enjoys a sense of humor. His demeanor is radically altered in the arena and in training, where he pushes himself to the edge of his limits. He expects the very best of his gladiators and does not tolerate failure.
Bio: Marius remembers hearing childhood stories about his Macedonian descent. He believes his ancestors fought alongside Alexander in his conquest of the world, however no proof of this exists. Marius has been a lifelong slave of the Flavius family, he has been trained as a gladiator in-house from an early age. He made his mark and gained the respect of the Flavious household by attaining the rank of House Champion at an early age. Marius was promoted to Doctore to help Lucius Flavious restore the former glory of his household. Marius has the utmost respect for Lucius and hopes that he can eventually be elevated to Lanista himself.
Character's Ons: Most anything goes, except
Character's Offs: Scat, watersports, vore
Player's Ons: same
Player's Offs: same

bubby

Urbanzorro

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

bubby

Methinks this is just what I need to spark my muse! I'll get you a female gladiator up here in a bit!

SGTDan

Quote from: Urbanzorro on February 08, 2014, 11:48:19 AM
Well the thing is that Romans viewed themselves as so superior during this time(and for nearly all their history) that marriage to non Romans (or Roman citizens) was considered quite taboo and unsightly for any but the lowest class of Roman citizens, the plebeians. (Aka the plebs). The only way it would be seen as acceptable would be in the case of marrying into royalty (and usually a daughter not a son). Also Romans considered to be Celts and Gauls to be among the most savage barbarians, they often during the late republic viewed them as just a step above beasts. So the fact that Brutus loves a Gaul and wishes to marry her/build a life with her, would be quite a scandal to any who knew. And probably a source of conflict and disgrace between him and his family if they knew of it. Roman culture had a strong tradition of viewing anything non-Roman as inferior to the point of being beneath consideration in terms of being people/civilized. With very few exceptions.

So the short answer is that at the family's class level any kind of genuine relationship that went further than business or simple exotic pleasure would be considered quite scandalous and embarrassing for the family. With the marriage of a son to a non-Roman (especially one form the Gallic regions) would not be approved by just about all members of the family and seen as a disgraceful point of conflict and friction. Roman family members had been disowned for much less. That having been said Brutus wouldn't be disowned in this case because his father sees potential in him and hopes to change him of his mind/cure him of his 'forest fever' which he expects will pass given time in proper civilization.

Ah I love taboos and scandals!

Yes Urban is right especially since Brutus is no longer of the typical mindset too. He views everyone as equals no matter class, birth or culture. This is why he desires to be as far away from Rome as possible. His time in the Celtic village opened his eyes to hypocrisy of the Empire that he fights for. It tears him between duty and what he feels is right. Now if you add in all the pressure from being a heir to nobility? It just becomes a big ass mess of he ever openly stated his love or beliefs. At home on the borders of Rome Brutus is very uncomfortable among the urban centers of Rome where his name is known and expectations of being nobility are expected of him.
Proudly Demisexual
My RP Requests

bubby

Hardest part of making a char, finding the pic. I've narrowed it down to 5...

IrishWolf

Quote from: bubby on February 08, 2014, 03:23:20 PM
Hardest part of making a char, finding the pic. I've narrowed it down to 5...

Bubby! *glomps* I know right? It took me hours to find a pic for Conchar

bubby

Quote from: IrishWolf on February 08, 2014, 03:26:24 PM
Bubby! *glomps* I know right? It took me hours to find a pic for Conchar

Wolf! *Purrowls and licks* Imma take a short break, do dishes, and then settle in to write up my char! I've sent a PM to Urban but haven't heard back, am I assuming correctly that I can make my Gladiatrix a 'new' acquisition to the Ludus?

SGTDan

I see nothing wrong with it Bubby, given the fact he has to build the family back up so that would most likely mean getting more gladiators.
Proudly Demisexual
My RP Requests

bubby

So are we in AD then? Wanna make sure my timeline is correct. Approx. what year?

Urbanzorro

We're in the last century BC, still within the time of the Republic

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

SGTDan

So BC counts down...that always fucks me up.

So what BC are we specifically?
Proudly Demisexual
My RP Requests

bubby

bubby

Ryann ap Elim
by bubby

Role: Gladiatrix Trainee
Gladiator Type: Self trained Dimachaerus
Orientation: Hetero

Appearance Details: Bright green eyes, several scars from previous battles.

Personality: Angry. Calculating. She is a slave, and knows it, and hates it with every fiber of her being. But she knows the only way to survive her situation is to be the best fighter she can be. To become the best Gladiatrix, to bathe in blood and think it the blood of her captors. If she is to die, which truly she cares not if she does, it will be with swords in her hands, not as a pathetic house slave.

Bio: Born in the heart of Ireland , she was the only daughter of the High King, and treated more like a son, just as she wished it. She could hunt and fight alongside any man of the Tribes with ease, and held much respect for her exploits and skills. Able to ride horse, shoot bow, swing a sword and wrestle with the best of the men, it was no surprise to see her in battle parties, her Father having no qualms with sending her to settle disputes and raids. Many sought her hand in marriage, yet she thought herself to young and too fierce to settle to a man... leaving her at her capture a virgin. She was taken in a raid while on the coast of Bregia, and has been too much trouble for the entire length of time she has been in captivity. She finally ends up purchased by the Ludus Flavius, her battle instincts obvious.

Character's Ons: Rough sex, slight non-con
Character's Offs: Full on rape, scat, water sports
Player's Ons: Possible 'romance' with another Gladiator, either established or new.
Player's Offs: Same as characters. (PM ME FOR DETAILS IF A SEXUAL SITUATION MIGHT OCCUR)

IrishWolf

bubby