What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lustful Bride

AmberStarfire

Oniya

Quote from: Lustful Bride on June 17, 2016, 01:09:18 PM
Apparently you can get Lice at the ocean now 0_0

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wellness/%e2%80%9csea-lice%e2%80%9d-are-now-a-thing-you-have-to-worry-about-at-the-beach/ar-AAh8SfX?li=BBnb4R7&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Huh.  I always thought that term was interchangeable with 'sand crabs'/'mole crabs' (which we used to dig up at the waterline and then release.)  But baby jellyfish makes sense as a 'hazard'.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

gaggedLouise

Man throws sacks with nine million bucks over the wall of a convent, leading to suspicions of money laundering or bribes - and Pope Francis turns down a donation of money to the Vatican where the sum included a conspicuous 666.000

QuoteIt had earlier been revealed that the pope had also objected to the figure of the sum in Argentinian currency, which was 16,666,000 pesos. “I don’t like the 666” Pope Francis said in a postcript to the letter

;D

Scandals near home are never this colourful.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Zakharra

Quote from: Lilias on June 17, 2016, 04:26:03 AM
Real-life Tatooine!

Not quite. It's a gas giant, not an inhabitable desert world.  The closest similarity it can be with Tatooine is it is in a binary star system.  That said, this is a neat find. We're getting good at detecting stuff now. :)

Lustful Bride

Environemtnal groups in NJ try to deal with invasive Jellyfish species and stop them from multiplying too much in the region.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/sting-operation-jellyfish-targeted-before-they-can-multiply/ar-AAhinB1?li=BBnb4R7&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Renegade Vile

<< Unavailable for New Games >>

gaggedLouise

It had to happen sooner or later: a man tries to grab a gun to kill Donald Trump.  :-(

Apparently he's twenty years old and had barely any prior experience with firearms, so I don't know how much of a serious risk he would have been - but it doesn't bode well for the upcoming main campaign in the autumn.

Interesting choise by the way: he tried to take the gun from one of the Secret Service people assigned to protect Trump.  ::)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Renegade Vile

Quote from: gaggedLouise on June 21, 2016, 02:21:23 AM
It had to happen sooner or later: a man tries to grab a gun to kill Donald Trump.  :-(

Overreaction much *snorts*?

Apparently he's twenty years old and had barely any prior experience with firearms, so I don't know how much of a serious risk he would have been - but it doesn't bode well for the upcoming main campaign in the autumn.

He was probably more likely to shoot anyone but Donald Trump...

Interesting choise by the way: he tried to take the gun from one of the Secret Service people assigned to protect Trump.  ::)

Well, it's a plan so stupid they didn't see it coming!
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

Oniya

The facepalms.  They are real.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lilias

We need a suicidal dude to wear a chunky bodywarmer to a Trump rally and just shout 'Allahu ackbar!' They'd get their wish and we'd get perpetual lulz. ::)
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Beorning

Something small (link-less, unfortunately) from here:

The World Youth Days are going to take place in Poland soon. Because of that, our bishops published a pastoral letter urging young Catholics to take part in this event.

Nothing too weird about it, but as one journalist pointed out, the bishops managed not to mention Pope Francis *once* in this letter. Even though Francis is going to be event's guest... An oversight or a sign of our bishops' attitude toward the current pope?

Meanwhile, our military (reigned, of course, by the PiS government) is planning to conduct a battle re-enactment as a show for the WYD pilgrims. The battle that's going to be the subject of the re-enactment? The 1683 Siege of Vienna - the battle where the Polish army of King Sobieski defeated the Turks. The re-enactment's goal? To show the pilgrims the Polish military's "achievements in promoting Christian values".  :o

There's another re-enactment prepared, too. That one will involve WW2 and Polish military fighting Germans. What does it have to do with Christianity? I have no idea, but I suppose that our government doesn't want to miss an opportunity to belittle Germany  ::)

I mean, seriously. I'm all for promoting Polish acts of heroism from WW2, but what does it have to do with World Youth Days?

Valerian

"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Valerian on June 22, 2016, 09:19:09 AM
Intelligent robot could be scrapped after escaping lab a second time.

This is both fascinating and sad.  :/

Whats sadder is the one robot that committed suicide....I feel bad for them but at the same time I have a real fear of an AI uprising >_>....

Mithlomwen

Makes me think of the movie I Robot.
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Cycle

Quote from: Mithlomwen on June 22, 2016, 10:03:04 AM
Makes me think of the movie I Robot.

Makes me think of these...  >.>

OT:  three idiots arrested in NY Holland Tunnel with a car full of guns.  You know, if you're going to tool around with body armor and assault rifles, maybe you should pick a less conspicuous vehicle...

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Cycle on June 22, 2016, 10:34:22 AM
Makes me think of these...  >.>

OT:  three idiots arrested in NY Holland Tunnel with a car full of guns.  You know, if you're going to tool around with body armor and assault rifles, maybe you should pick a less conspicuous vehicle...

Ugh there was so much I hated about the remake.

Anyway I'm glad the cops are stepping up their game. We all have to be vigilant. If you See something Say something.

Iniquitous

Some moron in my state posted a campaign billboard for his congressional bid that reads "Make America White Again"

He then goes on to basically say he is not a racist, but he wants to go back to the times of Ozzie and Harriet, Leave it to Beaver, etc.  I just... I can't. It makes me sick to think this is shit is happening.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Iniquitous on June 22, 2016, 08:09:27 PM
Some moron in my state posted a campaign billboard for his congressional bid that reads "Make America White Again"

He then goes on to basically say he is not a racist, but he wants to go back to the times of Ozzie and Harriet, Leave it to Beaver, etc.  I just... I can't. It makes me sick to think this is shit is happening.

*long sigh* this is why we cant have nice things. I bet he's the kind of person who says incredibly offensive things all of the time but then acts surprised when people get mad.

Cycle

Quote from: Iniquitous on June 22, 2016, 08:09:27 PM

Good way to destroy your political future. 

Honestly, I'd be fine if every aspiring politician ran such an ad if that's what they really believe.  Then we'd know who they are and can vote against them.

Lustful Bride

North Korean Propaganda film backfires as Camera crew captures the true face of the regime.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/north-korea-propaganda-film-backfires/vi-AAhuf0v?ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

I feel so bad for the people living there, so terrified that if they don't smile properly its off to the death or work camps. Especially that poor little girl.   :'(

TaintedAndDelish

Regarding North Korea, I thought this documentary was rather insightful and saddening at the same time. It's an hour and 40 minutes long, but well worth watching.

https://youtu.be/ihUOHARC_Og

TaintedAndDelish

Also, this was rather amusing to watch last night. It seems the Democrats have decided to use the Orlando shooting as fodder for their push to further tighten restrictions on gun sales. These are educated, grown adults who know damn well that making new gun laws will not do anything to stop violent criminals from killing people one way or another. In response, the Republicans left and won't be returning until July 5th. I guess the democrats have plenty of time now to join hands and sing freaking Kumbaya while they periscope each other and pretend that they are accomplishing something while receiving pats on the back. Kind of silly if you ask me.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2016/jun/22/us-election-2016-live-updates-donald-trump-speech-clinton-email-ethics

Lilias

'Further' tightening? Considering that most states require no owner licences, no purchase permits and no registration, this is rather nonsensical.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI