Favourite Otogi Character

Started by Sabby, December 20, 2010, 02:42:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Otogi 2 Gameplay Music Video
Adding a video of the characters.

I've debated a while on whether or not to post this poll. I felt it was deserving of it's own space, instead of just being in What Are You Playing? On the other hand, the game never sold too well, because it was overshadowed by Brute Force (a crime in my books)

So for the initiated, here's Otogi 2 in a nutshell. You are Raikoh, an immortal warrior who is only awoken when demons rise and begin to threaten the mortal world. This has happened. Spiders, ghouls, skeletons, demons, all are rallying for one large conquest. It is too big for even Raikoh to fight, so a team of fellow warriors perform a group suicide, to awaken Raikoh, and to throw their lot in with him as Immortal Warriors.

It's a simple set up, with some decent plot twists here and there. The game itself is just fucking beautiful though, pulling off an insane amount of physics and particle effects. I honestly have no clue how this could ever run on old Xbox hardware with only the occasional lag, but pretty much anything can be destroyed. Craters form from impact, rocks and buildings and tree's break, dozens and sometimes even hundreds of monsters can be on screen, all flying and colliding with each other and the scenery, causing explosions and plenty of pretty special effects.

Raikoh, argueably the most boring of the team, silent and average in all respects, speed, strength, magic...

Kintoki's light attacks pack the punch of the average strong attack, which is usually required to launch an enemy. His strong attack is placed by a grab button. He has no double jump, weak magic, and a short dash.

My personal favourite, Tsuna is strong and fast, with a good dash, and is perfect for crowd control. Certain combo's end with a shockwave that rushes from his feet a second after the last attack, which can wipe out anything in a stones throw around him.

My second favourite, Sadimitsue is very fast, with a dash that seems to teleport her directly behind enemies, though she is very weak. Her magic is strong, and she can toss her scythe, or lift enemies in an arch, compensating for her weakness.

Very weak, Seimi's fans do little damage but can lift an enemy up into the air and then hold them in a magic bubble, letting her aim and toss them. She is the strongest magic user, however, with the possible exception of Suetake.

A man's soul bound to a living tree stump, Suetake can use his wheel to bash and give himself room, but his magic is so strong it might as well be infinite. He can fly and cast high level spells, nuking entire areas from a distance.

Violence

Back then I was a PS2 user way more than an Xbox user... so I never got to really play more than the demo of the second game, but I did play the first one a good bit.  So, I voted for Raikoh mostly 'cause I don't really know those other guys... ^.^;

I do agree with you about it being a wildly overlooked game that could, thought.  One that could have been made a pretty good franchise if they'd really found their groove with it.  Imagine how awesome it would have been on current generations... with on-line co-op?  Bad marketting, maybe?  Or maybe just ahead of it's time?

Being published by Sega probably didn't help... I think they have an alergic reaction to innovation.
"Inciting Violence" (O/O) | "Random Acts of Violence" (Requests/Ideas) | Language of Violence (A Story I'm Working On)

And it all breaks down at the role reversal . Got the muse in my head she's universal . Spinnin' me round she's coming over me.
Domestic Violence (My OC's) | The Art of Violence (Stuff I Draw'd) | The Absense of Violence (A/A)

Cravings::  ANYTHING with Ballerinas! | Playing a cheating wife/girlfriend scenario. | Something that lets me play Jaime Lannister.

Sabby

Mostly bad luck. It came out the same time that Microsoft was aggressively marketing Brute Force, so even if they had tried to market Otogi 2 it wouldn't have got much attention :(

You should get a hold of the second game if you liked the first :) It's better in almost every way. More mission variety, bigger battles, more level variety, and all the characters and unlockable items add so much more strategy and depth to it.

And flying around with Suetake nuking entire settlements with swarms of fat lasers in the shape of flying dragons never gets old. Neither does lifting an exploding spider with a scythe slash that lands it in the centre of a dozen of it's friends, only to detonate and send them pinballing like a great big clusterbomb.

But I adore Tsuna <3 so fast and furious, no one can touch you, they're dead before they can even react, and every attack is followed up by a radial sweep of air, so it's like your flourishing finisher is followed a second later by EVERYTHING EXPLODING!

Oniya

I have even less experience than Violence with this game, but that double katana that Tsuna's holding makes me *grabbyhands*.  Not that I could do anything with such a thing, other than accidentally.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

I have a black one that's thicker at each end, with golden lettering down each blade and gold trim along the edge :) It actually looks a bit like a fancy bow.

Otogi 2 - Tsuna vs Spider Boss - Xbox

If a still image make's you grabbyhands, this should get you wet.