A day in the real Rome.

Started by nerdyanddirty, January 08, 2010, 01:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nerdyanddirty

So I'm a history nerd and always liked Roman history. However I've seen enough Late republic-empire stuff to last me a life time. What I am thinking is something set in the mid-republic, perhaps in a time around one of the punic wars.

This can be taken two ways for me:

1) We are normal people without historically defined roles (think Titus and Pullo in Rome). What the plots will be should be determined when I know what other people are interested in.

2) We can take historical figures (i.e. Cato, Hannibal)this also can go two ways. The first is we can stick to the general historical reality. The second we could decide on a different way and do some alternate history play.

Let me know what you think! 

Wraith

I am definitely interested. The story of Hannibal, in particular, has always intrigued me and I would relish a chance to participate somehow. I can't say I have any definite bias to any of your scenarios. They all attract me equally.

Plausible characters: 1) Citizen of one the cities sacked by Hannibal 2) Aide to one of the Roman generals 3) Roman legionnaire

Just brainstorming...do you have any preference among the options you've outlined?
Surreal's sweet obsession <3

Wraith's Disappearance Act (A/As)

nerdyanddirty

Well for the first our plot would occur during the general flow of history. They would have a passing relationship, but the plot itself would be separate.

To give an example We could be escaped slaves trying to find our way back to our home cities/wives. We could be young men trying to fight back against a local crime boss. Etc. Again think titus and pullo in Rome. Their stories intersected with the main story, but was mostly peripheral.

The other is an alt-history-so at least some people would play the main historical actors and others (depending on how many we get)  might play non historical ones. We would have to establish the time line before hand (so that there is no competition in trying to "Win" )

Wraith

I'm afraid the Titus and Pullo reference mostly goes over my head, since I've never actually watched Rome.  :-[ But, I think I understand what you mean, so no problem.

Well, unless more interests is generated, I suppose it would make more sense to play the first scenario. How many do you think you'll need for that?

nerdyanddirty

It depends on the story and how many characters we are willing to play. How do you usually handle NPC's here?

Wraith

Um, do you mean "here" as in Elliquiy? I really have no idea. The rules did not mention any restrictions on NPCs, so I suppose there isn't one. We can ask someone, I'm sure.

I can manage up to three characters at a time.

nerdyanddirty

I meant the rule in handeling them-as in do we take turns (i.e. You're the old crone who gives us water after a battle, then I'm the serving girl who seduces you after the girl who you were pursuing's father tells you you aren't good enough for his daughter kinda thing. ) Or do we just wing it?

Wraith

Oh. Sorry. I get confused easy.  :-[

I think we can just wing it. It would be a tad hard, I think, to divide all possible NPCs between us.

nerdyanddirty

Ok. So what kind of plot do you think we should do?

Wraith

Um...how about deserters from the army trying to find their way back home? Or the escaped slaves idea.

Common men caught up in events beyond their control seems interesting, really.

Wraith

*pokes* Do you still wanna do this?