Zombies Ate My Brain! (Survivors Win!)

Started by Remiel, November 26, 2010, 08:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remiel

No one knows how it happened.

One day everything was normal.  The next, all hell broke loose.  As best anyone can figure, it started somewhere in the southern United States in late July, 2012.  The media didn't make much of it at first.  Everyone thought it was just a resurgence of the avian flu, or SARS.  The CDC said that it was an irregularity, an airborne mutation, but nothing they couldn't handle. 

By the time we learned otherwise, it was too late.  Friends, loved ones, co-workers, all began to change, growing numb and cold and anemic.  Then, they turned comatose, like they were dead.  In the advanced stages of the disease, they lost their memories and personalities.  The virus turned them all feral, little more than animals, desiring only to feast on human flesh.

Things went to shit quickly after that.  The government declared martial law, but the virus simply spread too fast.  Entire cities were lost within days.  Communication began to break down as power stations were overrun and neglected.   Hundreds of millions of people either succumbed to the plague or died at the hands of the ravenous zombie hordes.

Somewhere in the Nevada desert, on the outskirts of what was once Reno, a small community of survivors has flourished.   Residing in a fortified Costco warehouse (it has thick walls, after all; limited points of entry that can easily be barricaded; and enough food and water to last a handful of survivors a few decades), they make their stand.  Will they last long enough to give humanity a new chance? Or will they, too, succumb to the zombie scourge?

Little do the survivors know that hiding among their ranks is a bloodthirsty Zombie.  While it looks and acts human, it is, in truth, anything but.  So far, it has managed to avoid detection.  However, driven by its relentless hunger for juicy, juicy brains, it is only a matter of time before it strikes!

As if that wasn't bad enough, another one of the survivors is an Infected, a carrier of the virus who has not yet progressed into the final stages of the disease.  It is probably only a matter of time, though. 

Will the survivors be able to root out the zombie(s) amongst their ranks? Or will the undead slay them all?

At the beginning of the game, there will be (1) Zombie and (1) Infected.  The Zombie does not know who the Infected is, and the Infected does not know who the Zombie is.  There will be (14) Survivors, including (1) doctor, (1) nurse, (1) scientist, (1) military veteran, (1) survivalist, (1) psychic, and (2) immune.

The game will start shortly with the Zombie feasting on a NPC.  Until then, feel free to get into character, put up a quick bio or introduction, or whatever.  At this point, no roles have been assigned.

Remiel

Once again, here's an explanation of the special roles:

The Zombie has a variant of the plague which allows him to act, look, and smell like a normal human; however, his mental faculties are already gone.  Although he seems normal, he thinks of nothing but feasting on sweet, sweet brains.  He also possesses the ability to Infect a Survivor, but only if he has snacked on brains the previous night.  In other words, a Zombie must successfully chow down on someone's brains on one night in order to Infect someone else the next night.

The Infected are humans that have been, er, Infected by the zombie virus.  They still retain the capability for rational thought; however, unless treated by a Doctor or Nurse, they will become a Zombie within 24 hours.  If the Infected has a special role when this happens, he will lose his normal abilities and become a regular zombie.

Some of the Humans will have special roles, skills from their former lives which will come in handy in this situation. These are:

Doctor: The Doctor has a vaccine which he may use once per night.  If an Infected is treated by the vaccine, he will be cured of the disease (although he may subsequently be Infected again).  Unfortunately,  if the subject is already a Zombie, the vaccine will do nothing.  The Doctor has the ability to tell whether the vaccine worked or not; in addition, if the subject he treats is a Zombie, he will be informed of this.

Nurse:  Like the Doctor, the Nurse possesses a vaccine which will cure an Infected human of the zombie plague.  She will also be able to tell if it worked or not.  However, unlike the Doctor, she will not be able to tell if the subject she tries to treat is a Zombie (she will only be told if the vaccine worked or not).

Scientist: (back off, man, I'm a scientist!)  Surreptitiously taking DNA samples, the Scientist will be able to tell if any person is a human, an Immune, an Infected, or a Zombie.  May only test one subject per night.

Military Veteran: Due to his military training, he may protect one person a night from zombie attack, in addition to himself.  He cannot protect against Infection, and may be Infected himself.

Survivalist: Raised his whole life in an anti-government commune militia in Montana, the Survivalist is paranoid to the extreme.  He has learned to sleep with his eyes open and keeps a gun under his pillow.  If a Zombie attempts to feast on the Survivalist's brains during the night, the Survivalist will instead kill the Zombie.  May still be Infected.  This is a passive ability.

Psychic: The Psychic will know, at all times, how many Zombies and how many Infected there are, but not know their identities. This is a passive ability.

Immune: These are just like regular survivors, except they possess either a super-resilient immune system or some genetic quirk that will resist any attempts at Infection.  Immune cannot be infected, but they can still be eaten by zombies. This is a passive ability.

As a reminder, I am altering the voting rules slightly as follows.

A plurality (or greatest number, even if that number is half or less) of votes will no longer be enough to exile a character from the base.   To exile someone, a character must have a majority (more than half) by the end of the allotted time period, or no one is exiled at all.

In other words, let's say there are 11 survivors left.  John has 5 votes, Jane has 3, and Tom has 3.  If John does not get 6 votes by the end of the allotted time, John survives the day.  Bear this in mind when casting your vote!

Remiel

It seemed that, when all was doomed, the survivors had managed to kindle a spark of hope within the daily nightmare that the world had become.  Well-entrenched in their Costco fortress, with enough food, water, and heating fuel to last at least a few years, many thought that they could outlast the zombie apocalypse.  It wasn't ideal; but, all things considered, it could have been a lot worse.

And then the unthinkable happened.  A scream shattered the early-morning silence within the warehouse.  Natalia, a pretty young woman from California, was found brutally slain in Aisle 15, her skull smashed in.  Even more disturbing than that, it appeared that most of her brains were missing.  Everyone's worst fears had come true--there was a zombie  masquerading as one of the survivors. 

An emergency council was formed, as the most respected and trusted members of the group met to decide what to do about the situation.  Accusations flew, emotions ran high, and paranoia surged.  Who among them had done the unconscionable deed?

Cast your vote for the person whom you think is a zombie.  Remember, in order to be exiled from the base, an individual needs to have a majority of votes.

The deadline for voting is about a week from now, 9:00pm PST Sunday, December 5th.

The survivors are:

Aiden
Beguile's Mistress
Esoteric Myobi
Geeklet
Imogen
Izu
Kyrsa
Leorobin
Marguerite
Moirae
Professor Loki Caprion
Rhedyn
rottenaim
Ryven
Transgirlenstein
Valerian

Aiden

He knew since arriving that the small haven would be trouble, tensions where high but somehow they had begun to unify when it took a turn for the worse. With the death of someone within the compound he looked from the sleeping quarters he had taken along the higher scaffolding that once housed a pallet of canned nacho cheese.

Rubbing the back of his next he broke the silence everyone else had been mortified of breaking and making their first accusation.
"Margerite."
He honestly did not know and those exiled where doomed, but it was not as if he had any other evidence that made it clear she was not.

Geeklet

Geeklet took a moment, simply staring at the dead body in shock. He thought they were safe in here. When Aiden finally broke the silence, his head turned towards the other man and blinked a few times. It took a moment, but words finally managed to escape his lips.

"Wow, the body isn't even cold yet and you are already pointing fingers? Paranoid much?"

Zelric Miras

Leorobin showed up at the meeting as soon as he was notified, he arrived in time to hear Aiden's accusation he took his seat and glanced at those that had already arrived...Who amongst them was a potential threat to all of them? His own survival depended on this decision so now seriousmeasures had to be taken.

Ryven

He sat in the corner, cleaning his shotgun slow and meticulously.  One could never be too careful with their equipment.  It should always be in working order, or at least that's what he thought.  After making his way here with the other survivors, they were so sure that they would be fine and hold out until the majority of the chaos was over.  Maybe there would be a cure soon, but not many people believed in that anymore.

Ryven eyed his companions.  Each and every one of them.  He would have shown his normal morning respects, but this morning was different.  Natalia, a particularly nice young woman was now dead, her brains missing and assumed to have been eaten.  That only meant one thing: zombies.  One of them was a zombie and had managed, cleverly, to sneak in with them.  The problem now was to figure out who.

"I say it was Moirae.  I saw her putting on some red lipstick this morning.  No doubt to cover the blood left behind on them when she feasted on Natalia's brains."

Rhedyn

With a face awash with fear and shock Rhedyn looked around at the faces of the people as they gathered. How had this happened? The damned zombies had taken so much already now they just had to chow down on Natalia..? And right in the cereal isle? Damn, she'd never be able to eat cornflakes again.

Someone here was a zombie...but who? Scowling she looked for some sign of guilt from one of the other survivors.

Aiden

"Do not mistake my haste to find who is at the end of this for paranoia, I trust you no more or less than I trust you or anyone else. So until we are sure that who ever did this last night is found I will not sleep easy. Indecisiveness will lead to our downfall."

He looked at Geeklet with an annoyed look before moving away from the group and retreated to his nacho cheese cubby.

Geeklet

"Don't get me wrong. I want to find out who did this as much as you do, but does mindless blame solve anything? As long as we don't let our guard down, we still have some time to try to figure things out. Indecisiveness may be our downfall, but so is rash judgment."

Transgirlenstein

Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

Valerian

"When the world's been overrun by zombies, paranoid is just a good thing to be," Val said, joining the group.  She'd been listening from her usual spot, behind a large display stand, pondering the full ramifications of this new, terrible death.

"You're right, we shouldn't panic.  But we can't just sit here telling each other not to panic.  If you don't want to vote, then talk.  Say who you suspect, or don't suspect.  If I say I think that Leorobin is the zombie, are you going to argue, or agree with me?  No offense, Leorobin," she added hastily.  "I'm just trying to get the discussion going."
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Remiel

Current voting, as it stands:

Leorobin (1) -- Valerian
Marguerite (1) -- Aiden
Moirae (1) -- Ryven
Aiden
Beguile's Mistress
Esoteric Myobi
Geeklet
Imogen
Izu
Kyrsa
Professor Loki Caprion
Rhedyn
rottenaim
Ryven
Transgirlenstein
Valerian

Yet to vote: Beguile's Mistress, Esoteric Myobi, Geeklet, Imogen, Izu, Kyrsa, Leorobin, Marguerite, Moirae, Professor Loki Caprion, Rhedyn, rottenaim, Transgirlenstein

Marguerite

Marguerite cocked an eyebrow at the accusations being thrown about; she had no clue who could be a zombie but she knew not to be without her shot gun. Filling up her gun with the necessary ammunition, she looked around at the various people in the group. "Well since, Aiden, is accusing moi, why not, throw it back at him. I have no clue who it be since there is a bigger chance a zombie could be one of those damn dogs running around here." Nodding toward one of the mutts, she shushed it away from Natalia's dead body. "Hopefully, there are no zombie pets running around here because I might not hesitate to kill fluffy or a Princess if they are trying to eat my brains."
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

Geeklet

"Just try not to kill this princess, okay?" Geeklet reached up, making a motion as if adjusting an imaginary tiara atop hir head.

"Though I do have to wonder about Aiden a bit, the more I think about it."

Marguerite

Quote from: Geeklet on November 30, 2010, 01:30:31 PM
"Just try not to kill this princess, okay?" Geeklet reached up, making a motion as if adjusting an imaginary tiara atop hir head.

"Though I do have to wonder about Aiden a bit, the more I think about it."

"I meant Princess the Cat over there licking up a few spots of blood from the ground," she answered, pointing her hand towards the white cat before shushing it away. "What is it with animals and their fascination to lick up anything and everything, even if it is bad for them?" She looked back towards Geeklet and smiled at the tiara on top of hir head, "Where did you find that?"

Transgirlenstein

Transgirl thinks about it for a bit.  She was dressed in the remains of a skirt and top.  It still looked rather good on her despite being covered in a few holes and dirt.  "I think I have to go with Aiden as well.  He seemed a bit too quick to turn against Miss Marg."
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

Ryven

"People, people.  I understand you're wary of Aiden's quickness to vote, but we just had someone die, and a very  nice girl at that.  However, you cannot blame him for simply stating his mind.  We knew this had to be done, and if not Aiden starting off the painful process of accusing one of our own, who else would?  He seems as likely as everyone else.  So, I say to you, don't judge based on his quickness to get this process going but rather on his motives.  Like where he was when Natalia was so gruesomely made into a breakfast buffet."

Ryven spoke, finishing up his gun maintenance before loading his shotgun and chambering the first shell.

Aiden

"Well fuck all of you then, I'd rather take my chances out there then with the lot of you, you came rather quickly to her defense did you not?"
Aiden sneers at all of them and walks down the isles to pack food and water in a pack, in the even of him being kicked out of the sanctuary like hell he would do it unprepared.

Marguerite

"Ryven, why did you pick Moirae other than the lipstick bit as her being the possible killer? I think a few of us enjoy wearing lipstick no matter the color. Hell, I think one of us even fought over the last tube of cherry lip balm and almost cut a bitch," she answered, eyeing Trip and Geeklet, wondering if they were hiding anymore lip balm from her before looking back to Ryven. "My reason is simple because if someone votes for moi, I return the damn favor since we all do not know who is the brain-eating zombie."

Geeklet

When eyed, Geeklet quickly looked away, whistling a bit as if trying to act innocent. After a few moments passed, shi turned back to the group. "What? It may be the end of the world, but I will at least die looking good. I'm too damned pretty to be a zombie."

Ryven

Quote from: Marguerite on November 30, 2010, 05:22:21 PM
"Ryven, why did you pick Moirae other than the lipstick bit as her being the possible killer? I think a few of us enjoy wearing lipstick no matter the color. Hell, I think one of us even fought over the last tube of cherry lip balm and almost cut a bitch," she answered, eyeing Trip and Geeklet, wondering if they were hiding anymore lip balm from her before looking back to Ryven. "My reason is simple because if someone votes for moi, I return the damn favor since we all do not know who is the brain-eating zombie."

"I told you.  It looked like her lips were already quite red with something other than lipstick.  I can only assume it was the blood of dear Natalia."  He said with a smirk.

"Oh, I agree.  We don't know.  All we have is our own personal innocence...or had.  One of us has apparently recently lost it with a feast of brains to celebrate."

Marguerite

Quote from: Geeklet on November 30, 2010, 05:42:58 PM
When eyed, Geeklet quickly looked away, whistling a bit as if trying to act innocent. After a few moments passed, shi turned back to the group. "What? It may be the end of the world, but I will at least die looking good. I'm too damned pretty to be a zombie."

"Even with a zombie apocalypse, you are working that make up, Geeklet. Though do not try to steal my underwear again because there is no more Victoria Secret around here. Plus you rooted the whole bra bin in Los Angeles the last time we ventured into a big city." Marguerite could remember her own frenzy in getting supplies, clothes and heading out before the zombies congregated on the mall.

Quote from: Ryven on November 30, 2010, 05:47:50 PM
"I told you.  It looked like her lips were already quite red with something other than lipstick.  I can only assume it was the blood of dear Natalia."  He said with a smirk.

"Oh, I agree.  We don't know.  All we have is our own personal innocence...or had.  One of us has apparently recently lost it with a feast of brains to celebrate."

Marguerite looked over towards Moirae and noticed her red lips. "Did you get that lipstick from the Mac section? Ruby Woo, no?" Turning back to Ryven, she gave a shrug of her shoulders, "If she is a zombie, she is a damn good looking one."

Ryven

Quote from: Marguerite on November 30, 2010, 05:59:38 PM
Marguerite looked over towards Moirae and noticed her red lips. "Did you get that lipstick from the Mac section? Ruby Woo, no?" Turning back to Ryven, she gave a shrug of her shoulders, "If she is a zombie, she is a damn good looking one."

"No doubt about that.  I just hope that if she is the zombie, she wont feast upon me next."

Marguerite

Quote from: Ryven on November 30, 2010, 06:05:46 PM
"No doubt about that.  I just hope that if she is the zombie, she wont feast upon me next."

"True but she might be wary of biting you and having to kiss the barrel of your gun."