News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Quote from: Lustful Bride on August 05, 2016, 02:11:22 PM
Isis calls American Muslim soldiers "Apostates" I call them Heroes and Patriots like i would any other soldier. :-)

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/islamic-state-calls-slain-muslim-american-soldier-an-apostate/ar-BBv4rtK

But it just sounds more like their jealous of real heroes.

This would be along the same lines as the WBC telling you that you were excommunicated.  No legitimate rationale, and no authority to do it.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Oniya on August 05, 2016, 02:33:42 PM
This would be along the same lines as the WBC telling you that you were excommunicated.  No legitimate rationale, and no authority to do it.

Which makes it all the more fun to point and laugh at their impotent rage :P

HannibalBarca

http://www.businessinsider.com/russia-internet-trolls-and-donald-trump-2016-7

It isn't above suspicion to believe Putin pays people to troll internet comment sections.  It's been done before.
“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

Lustful Bride

Quote from: HannibalBarca on August 05, 2016, 04:45:41 PM
It isn't above suspicion when politicians are involved.

Fixed it for ya ::) :P

Renegade Vile

All I can say to this is: What the f*ck, Texas?
But normally I say that when Texas does something insane related to Christianity or homophobia; not -this-.
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Renegade Vile on August 06, 2016, 05:17:07 AM
All I can say to this is: What the f*ck, Texas?
But normally I say that when Texas does something insane related to Christianity or homophobia; not -this-.

I think the punishment is a bit too harsh, but I am glad to see someone held accountable for their words. I'd be a bit more supporting of the Alllivesmatter movement if, you know, it actually felt like movement aimed at making the world a better place. Blacklivesmatter for all its flaws has been a platform for people to come together and address an injustice they see. The only time I hear about alllivesmatter is when someone wants to shut down someone talking about injustices towards black people, like in the sutdents tweet - "“Forget #BlackLivesMatter; more like AllLivesMatter.” No actual plan to improve the situation or do anything at all to help "all" lives, just forget about blacklivesmatter, that's the important thing.

Aethereal

I don't think she should have punished at all, other than be required to take the tweet down in order to avoid further misinterpretation. Poorly worded? Yes. Malignant? No.
        The moment when we start punishing people with generally the right ideas for expressing themselves in a manner that can be easily misunderstood, "political correctness" has gone too far.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Shienvien on August 06, 2016, 06:45:38 AM
        I don't think she should have punished at all, other than be required to take the tweet down in order to avoid further misinterpretation. Poorly worded? Yes. Malignant? No.
        The moment when we start punishing people with generally the right ideas for expressing themselves in a manner that can be easily misunderstood, "political correctness" has gone too far.

I'm not so sure it was poorly worded, I think it conveyed the racist sentiments of "alllivesmatter" as intended. If she does genuinely think alllivesmatter is a legitimate civil rights movement then sure, don't punish her, but she should still go to the workshop to understand what it means, since she is a member of the student government.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on August 06, 2016, 06:03:44 AM
  I think the punishment is a bit too harsh, but I am glad to see someone held accountable for their words. I'd be a bit more supporting of the Alllivesmatter movement if, you know, it actually felt like movement aimed at making the world a better place. Blacklivesmatter for all its flaws has been a platform for people to come together and address an injustice they see. The only time I hear about alllivesmatter is when someone wants to shut down someone talking about injustices towards black people, like in the sutdents tweet - "“Forget #BlackLivesMatter; more like AllLivesMatter.” No actual plan to improve the situation or do anything at all to help "all" lives, just forget about blacklivesmatter, that's the important thing.

Pretty sure she was making a statement about the movement Black Lives Matter and what they do, not about what they claim to stand for. Like a lot of people are doing.

Quote from: Shienvien on August 06, 2016, 06:45:38 AM

I don't think it should have been taken down. Why should it? A lot of the stuff the other side flings around does not get taken down, nor are they punished. Either everyone conforms or no-one, you can't split hairs. Twitter is a free platform (sort of) not controlled by said university, they have no right to punish her. Now had she been professing she was hatching a plan to go out and brutalize students for disagreeing, that's a different matter, as she might be violent and she might be on the cusp of committing a crime.

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on August 06, 2016, 06:53:22 AM

I'm not so sure it was poorly worded, I think it conveyed the racist sentiments of "alllivesmatter" as intended. If she does genuinely think alllivesmatter is a legitimate civil rights movement then sure, don't punish her, but she should still go to the workshop to understand what it means, since she is a member of the student government.

What makes you think she needs to understand what it means through a workshop?

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Renegade Vile on August 06, 2016, 07:03:42 AMPretty sure she was making a statement about the movement Black Lives Matter and what they do, not about what they claim to stand for. Like a lot of people are doing.

No, she dismissed one group that is has a goal for how to improve the world and correct a perceived injustice, and then promotes a second "group" (I use that word this hesitantly since it not like they meet up for rallies or anything) that does nothing but try to shut down the former.

Quote from: Renegade Vile on August 06, 2016, 07:03:42 AMI don't think it should have been taken down. Why should it? A lot of the stuff the other side flings around does not get taken down, nor are they punished.

She seems to be in a position of authority though, so her words are more scrutinized. You can't really compare what she said to some random person on the internet.

Quote from: Renegade Vile on August 06, 2016, 07:03:42 AMWhat makes you think she needs to understand what it means through a workshop?

That alllivesmatter is merely a rascist suppression of the blacklivesmatter movement, its stands for nothing except the suppression of the black voice. If you want to start a new group that focuses on police brutality in general rather than just black people that great, the world can always use more people working together for a better future. Alllives matter is not that though.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on August 06, 2016, 07:12:33 AM
  No, she dismissed one group that is has a goal for how to improve the world and correct a perceived injustice, and then promotes a second "group" (I use that word this hesitantly since it not like they meet up for rallies or anything) that does nothing but try to shut down the former.

Dismissed as a bad idea for good reason.

She seems to be in a position of authority though, so her words are more scrutinized. You can't really compare what she said to some random person on the internet.

Yes you can. Her words can be scrutinized and any criticism she received she needs to be responsible for, but at the end of the day, she remains free to say whatever she wants. And the consequences should not be attempted censureship because she disagrees with an opinion popular at the university she goes to.

That alllivesmatter is merely a rascist suppression of the blacklivesmatter movement, its stands for nothing except the suppression of the black voice. If you want to start a new group that focuses on police brutality in general rather than just black people that great, the world can always use more people working together for a better future. Alllives matter is not that though.

No, it stands for the suppression of BlackLivesMatter, a racist, supremacist, insane group made up of a mix of normal, passive members and active, cultist members. As you said before, AllLivesMatter isn't a group, it's just an idea, which is always a better option than a "group with an ideology that you either follow or don't follow, and if you don't, you're the enemy". Do scumbags use #AllLivesMatter? Of course, but all it is is a common sense idea that people can use and interpret in whatever way they wish.

BlackLivesMatter supporters can tweet about celebrating the deaths of cops, so a student girl can make a tweet about disagreeing with them, without having sanctions thrown at her and being told to get "educated".

Darthvegeta800

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on August 06, 2016, 06:53:22 AM

So only comments going in one direction are okay'd.
And those that aren't yes-men have to endure workshops or are punished?

Beautiful.
No wonder so many people completely turn against all this regressive left pseudo-university nonsense.

And you're surprised so many of us do not care or react paranoid? The entire Blackilivesmatter program reads like "Give me free stuff and don't you dare say anything bad about me".
It's like the safe space nonsense and the enforcing of a kazillion gender designations and the words that go with it.
The insane utopian ideas created by adolescents and misfits that want to play hero... and end up making things worse across the board.

And naturally when or where help is needed. Nobody ever goes. That would take courage... and effort.
And there is no privilege nor financial gain to be obtained in those scenarios.

Anyway not going to bother subscribing to this one. I already know what'll be said here, lightyears in advance.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Renegade Vile on August 06, 2016, 07:20:08 AMNo, it stands for the suppression of BlackLivesMatter, a racist, supremacist, insane group made up of a mix of normal, passive members and active, cultist members.

Yes, and why do you think those normal members continue to be a part of an insane group? Because they want change. Telling them to stop trying to change the world, without offering an alternative, is useless at best and racist at worst.

Quote from: Darthvegeta800 on August 06, 2016, 07:27:39 AM
So only comments going in one direction are okay'd.
And those that aren't yes-men have to endure workshops or are punished?

Nope. My sentiment was if you want to dismiss BlackLivesMatter, make sure you offer an alternative that satisfied the need of the normal people who joined the movement, not agree with me or face the consequences.

Edit: And more importantly don't use the alllivesmatter slogan because of its rascist connotations.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on August 06, 2016, 07:28:48 AM
  Yes, and why do you think those normal members continue to be a part of an insane group? Because they want change. Telling them to stop trying to change the world, without offering an alternative, is useless at best and racist at worst.

No-one is telling them to stop trying to change the world. They're trying to tell them that a lot of these issues are fearmongering and overblown, on top of being rooted in emotions going out of control instead of calm observation. Why do you think protests on social issues (and this not just on black issues, this also happens among all sides of the coin so also white supremacists, other racists, etc) usually just devolve into shouting empty slogans, promoting violence and just harassing the police (and being surprised when you get arrested for it)? Is that really how things are going to change? Or is talking about things calmly going to change things? Because that's what a lot of people not aligned with any group whatsoever do. BlackLivesMatter is doing nothing but fanning a race war that had been slowly diminishing in intensity for decades, and the supremacists on the other side are lapping it up and are going to start acting out right back.

But, this is still besides the point, there is -no- reason for her to take down her tweet or be forced to take workshops. Because if so, then why aren't BlackLivesMatter people being sent to the same sensitivity courses for interrupting people, threatening people, doxxing people (stuff the other side does too, I know)? There's a double standard here. As I said before, either everyone gets thought policed, or no-one, and I honestly prefer the latter. Extremists can say whatever they want, as long as they are subject to criticism and scrutiny as much as anyone else. Sadly, that's not the case, obviously, as only one side of the argument is getting silenced, with the excuse that she's uneducated and not aware of the "real issue". Maybe she is? She just doesn't agree with it.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Renegade Vile on August 06, 2016, 07:38:19 AM
No-one is telling them to stop trying to change the world. They're trying to tell them that a lot of these issues are fearmongering and overblown, on top of being rooted in emotions going out of control instead of calm observation. Why do you think protests on social issues (and this not just on black issues, this also happens among all sides of the coin so also white supremacists, other racists, etc) usually just devolve into shouting empty slogans, promoting violence and just harassing the police (and being surprised when you get arrested for it)? Is that really how things are going to change? Or is talking about things calmly going to change things? Because that's what a lot of people not aligned with any group whatsoever do. BlackLivesMatter is doing nothing but fanning a race war that had been slowly diminishing in intensity for decades, and the supremacists on the other side are lapping it up and are going to start acting out right back.

But, this is still besides the point, there is -no- reason for her to take down her tweet or be forced to take workshops. Because if so, then why aren't BlackLivesMatter people being sent to the same sensitivity courses for interrupting people, threatening people, doxxing people (stuff the other side does too, I know)? There's a double standard here. As I said before, either everyone gets thought policed, or no-one, and I honestly prefer the latter. Extremists can say whatever they want, as long as they are subject to criticism and scrutiny as much as anyone else. Sadly, that's not the case, obviously, as only one side of the argument is getting silenced, with the excuse that she's uneducated and not aware of the "real issue". Maybe she is? She just doesn't agree with it.

See? you managed to express all that without using the racist catchphrase "alllivesmatter" with dilutes the easy to an easy mouthful that is also utterly meaningless. If she had done the same, she may not be in trouble (well I cannot speak for others, but I certainly wouldn't have had an issue with her tweet).

Renegade Vile

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on August 06, 2016, 07:42:41 AM
  See? you managed to express all that without using the racist catchphrase "alllivesmatter" with dilutes the easy to an easy mouthful that is also utterly meaningless. If she had done the same, she may not be in trouble (well I cannot speak for others, but I certainly wouldn't have had an issue with her tweet).

Yes, so all that needs to be done now is ask Twitter to remove their character limit. As I said, it's an idea, a non-racist idea, that needs a tagline. Hence hashtag. BlackLivesMatter, is a group with ideologies, two different horses, only one of them is dangerous in and of itself. The university does not own Twitter and they certainly should not be forcing her hand by waving her getting kicked out over a tweet, thereby forcing her to silence herself and see if they can educate her into thinking what is perceived right. If this was a racist tweeting out something horrible like: "Death to all Asians!" I would still defend their right to say so, even though I'd personally hope they fall off a cliff in the near future.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Renegade Vile on August 06, 2016, 07:55:01 AM
Yes, so all that needs to be done now is ask Twitter to remove their character limit.

So maybe she needs to attend a work shop on why twitter is a bad place to discuss such contentious issues.

Quote from: Renegade Vile on August 06, 2016, 07:55:01 AMAs I said, it's an idea, a non-racist idea, that needs a tagline.

It is racist. Like when fox news presenters asked "where the outrage at the black on black crime" or people say "western feminists should be glad they aren't women in third world countries". Do you really think these people care about the issues they're raising, or are they just trying to stifle debate?

Quote from: Renegade Vile on August 06, 2016, 07:55:01 AMIf this was a racist tweeting out something horrible like: "Death to all Asians!" I would still defend their right to say so, even though I'd personally hope they fall off a cliff in the near future.

She is part of the student government and receives money from the university, she could not say those things consequences free. A regular person could sure, but she's not regular. Like how politicians cannot say things on twitter even though regular people say way more offensive things.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on August 06, 2016, 08:01:16 AM
  So maybe she needs to attend a work shop on why twitter is a bad place to discuss such contentious issues.

I will agree with you there, Twitter is not the place to discuss... well... anything, really.

It is racist. Like when fox news presenters asked "where the outrage at the black on black crime" or people say "western feminists should be glad they aren't women in third world countries". Do you really think these people care about the issues they're raising, or are they just trying to stifle debate?

Stifling debate tends to be the favored practice of regressive and supremacist ideologies. Also, Fox is hardly a representative example, because I'm pretty sure a significant number of people using the hashtag despise the extremely right-wing channel as much as anyone with a braincell.

She is part of the student government and receives money from the university, she could not say those things consequences free. A regular person could sure, but she's not regular. Like how politicians cannot say things on twitter even though regular people say way more offensive things.

Politicians should be allowed to say those things. They should just be aware of how it might impact voting. And because they're greedy bastards for whom only votes on election day is important, that's why they shush up.
As for receiving money, she receives money to do her job in the student government, she does not get money to get silenced. There is no proof that her personal beliefs impacted the quality of her work (and if it does, she should still not be forced to delete the tweet, she should just be told to improve her performance or risk getting taken off the body (not out of the university). Just because you get paid by something, doesn't mean you have to dance to its tune 24/7. That'd be like me being forced by my current job to not voice my opinion because they give me my paycheck. That's borderline blackmail.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Renegade Vile on August 06, 2016, 08:45:50 AMStifling debate tends to be the favored practice of regressive and supremacist ideologies. Also, Fox is hardly a representative example, because I'm pretty sure a significant number of people using the hashtag despise the extremely right-wing channel as much as anyone with a braincell.

So let's see whose using the hashtag: https://twitter.com/hashtag/alllivesmatter?lang=en

I don't get the impression they are trying quell it (look, a black cop. Rascism is officially solved, you can all shut up. Look, a black politician). And there's a video linked showing that racist used a very similar rhetoric before (I care about ALL children). All is a really good way of removing black visibility whilst maintaining a visage of concern.

There's one that is highlighting a problem within the movement, but again, its attacking a response to a problem without offering an alternative and the whole "you're free to continue changing the world" isn't worth the breathe used to utter it, because people need to come together to change the world, so if you want BLM to end as a movement, you need to offer them an alternative banner.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on August 06, 2016, 08:59:28 AM
  So let's see whose using the hashtag: https://twitter.com/hashtag/alllivesmatter?lang=en

I don't get the impression they are trying quell it (look, a black cop. Rascism is officially solved, you can all shut up. Look, a black politician). And there's a video linked showing that racist used a very similar rhetoric before (I care about ALL children). All is a really good way of removing black visibility whilst maintaining a visage of concern.

Actually, what I get from that is that they're disputing the frequent blanket claims from BlackLivesMatter that ALL cops are of the Devil. Refuting that black people never amount to anything because of systemic racism, etc. There is a different between providing counter-examples and just shutting a conversation down. It's usually the other side of the argument that ignores, blocks, or retreats into a safe space when confronted with any kind of dissent.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Renegade Vile on August 06, 2016, 09:02:39 AM
Actually, what I get from that is that they're disputing the frequent blanket claims from BlackLivesMatter that ALL cops are of the Devil. Refuting that black people never amount to anything because of systemic racism, etc. There is a different between providing counter-examples and just shutting a conversation down. It's usually the other side of the argument that ignores, blocks, or retreats into a safe space when confronted with any kind of dissent.

"if you have any other opinion, get out of the united states" that's shutting down a debate. But fine, we can agree to disagree. I cannot see how someone can scroll through that and not see racism masquerading as concern, but then you are not me and so do not need to think accordingly.

Lustful Bride

Meh, I personally say lets split hairs and say everyone in the situation is shit and they are all bad in their own way but also help alittle in their own way.

There, everyone gets a trophy for participating.

In Olympic news. WHooo!! First Gold Medal for the USA! *pumps fist in the air*
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/olympics/teen-shooter-wins-usas-first-gold-medal-of-games/ar-BBvjYLS?li=BBgET5V&ocid=spartanntp

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Lustful Bride on August 06, 2016, 09:39:30 AM
Meh, I personally say lets split hairs and say everyone in the situation is shit and they are all bad in their own way but also help alittle in their own way.

There, everyone gets a trophy for participating.

I agree with that, rotten elements on all sides of the argument, you won't hear me claim otherwise.

Beguile's Mistress

What gives anyone the right to tell Rohini Sethi that believing each life, no matter who it belongs to, is as meaningful and important as any other life is wrong?  If they chose to see her remark as diminishing black lives they need to look again. 

It's easy to fight over words.  It's difficult to go out and be the kind of person we can all care about.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on August 06, 2016, 10:38:35 AM
What gives anyone the right to tell Rohini Sethi that believing each life, no matter who it belongs to, is as meaningful and important as any other life is wrong?  If they chose to see her remark as diminishing black lives they need to look again. 

A lot of people these days believe they have that right, sadly. We're slowly going back in time. It's as if history works in cycles or something...